» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Apparently Giuliani likes to make up his own religious rules to live by

Written By: saver on 04/28/08 at 9:37 pm

Ny'er Giuliani has been criticized for receiving th Holy Communion at the Papal visit , when there was an understanding he was NOT to .when questioned the answer came back that he has his own devotion to his faith...even though standing for abortion goes against the Churchs' rules.

WELL!!

Imagine him being elected and coming up with..I think I'll....????
Sure we have rules but I have my own agenda for what I do...

Tsk on him.....where does he come off rewriting the Roman-Catholic rules!
:\'(

Subject: Re: Apparently Giuliani likes to make up his own religious rules to live by

Written By: La Roche on 04/28/08 at 9:45 pm

Ny'er Giuliani has been criticized for receiving th Holy Communion at the Papal visit , when there was an understanding he was NOT to .when questioned the answer came back that he has his own devotion to his faith...even though standing for abortion goes against the Churchs' rules.

WELL!!

Just because he belongs to a group doesn't mean he has to support all of it's views.

For instance, one of my cousins is a baptist, but occasionally exercises some common sense and adopts a common sense approach to certain issues, whereas the main baptist church still insists that dinosaurs never existed and the earth was only started spinning last Tuesday.

Subject: Re: Apparently Giuliani likes to make up his own religious rules to live by

Written By: ladybug316 on 04/28/08 at 10:04 pm

This behavior is not exclusive to Giuliani or to Roman Catholics.  Many people do this with all religions.  They interpret the laws (and the bible)as they see fit.  I'm surprised this is news to you.

Written By: Jessica on 04/28/08 at 10:34 pm

I'm Catholic (when I want to be) and I receive Communion when I drag my sorry ass to church. I also don't believe in or agree with a lot of the bullschit the Church teaches.

I also haven't been to confession in about....ohhhh.....twenty years or so, but I figure God sees what I do every day and I'll pay for it on my deathbed or something. No point in going and making a priest keel over from shock. ;D

Written By: saver on 04/28/08 at 11:55 pm

This behavior is not exclusive to Giuliani or to Roman Catholics.  Many people do this with all religions.  They interpret the laws (and the bible)as they see fit.  I'm surprised this is news to you.

Depending on the religion, why don't some fraction off and start their own 'Church of what we want to do'?
They'd get free tax exmpt status and oh wait, that's the CULT in Texas...

But then you have the religions people go along with to the letter..don't you think there is some woman out there that wants to rip her wailing mask off in front of everyone and yell
I'm liberating myself from this garb...er... but I'll sit here and pray to (????)

I think cities and clubs are more strict with their members than religions are..yet people kill for their religion and  go ballistic making fun of their Savior in a comic strip...yet we don't hear of anyone mowing people down in Santa Monica because they can't smoke in public!

Ahhh, such is life.....

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 04/29/08 at 5:58 pm

Most Catholics do this sort of thing in one way or another.  It is impossible in this day in age to observe all the rules of Catholicism.  How many Papal Bulls from the Middle Ages are technically still in place?  How many Catholic family today have eight children?  To put everything on Giuliani is absurd.  Ted Kennedy and John Kerry are in the same predicament.

Written By: Tia on 04/30/08 at 9:49 am

i like taking communion. it's free food and you can drink even if you're not 21.

Written By: Tia on 04/30/08 at 9:50 am

although given recent discoveries, the idea of getting on my knees and having a priest stick things in my mouth makes me a little uncomfortable.

i'm sorry, i feel like i may have just gone too far.

Written By: Jessica on 04/30/08 at 10:03 am

although given recent discoveries, the idea of getting on my knees and having a priest stick things in my mouth makes me a little uncomfortable.

i'm sorry, i feel like i may have just gone too far.

;D

The wine is like Boone's Farm stuff or something. Man, that crap is harsh.

Written By: Tia on 04/30/08 at 10:04 am

;D

The wine is like Boone's Farm stuff or something. Man, that crap is harsh.
I'LL HAVE YOU KNOW THAT IS THE LITERAL BLOOD OF CHRIST. >:(

Written By: Tia on 04/30/08 at 10:06 am

:P

Written By: ladybug316 on 04/30/08 at 12:16 pm

i like taking communion. it's free food and you can drink even if you're not 21.

Wow, you're a cheap date!  ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/30/08 at 1:24 pm

Oh yeah, I remember all those "communion" parties!
8)

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 05/01/08 at 8:34 am

Priest looks at you weird if you take more than a small sip of wine.  (I can still feel his glare burning right through me. :()

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 05/01/08 at 8:37 am

I'LL HAVE YOU KNOW THAT IS THE LITERAL BLOOD OF CHRIST. >:(

It's the introduction to cannibalism.http://iconhell.com/i/iconhell_surrealthoughtz_mwahahaa.gif

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 05/01/08 at 8:40 am

Oh yeah, I remember all those "communion" parties!
8)

Thermos full of stolen sacramental wine . . . the nerve.  Don't forget the smashed white bread that you shape into a circle.  I shoulda been a priest. ::)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/01/08 at 10:24 pm

Thermos full of stolen sacramental wine . . . the nerve.  Don't forget the smashed white bread that you shape into a circle.  I shoulda been a priest. ::)

Ever seen the little square communion wafers with Mickey Mouse stamped on them?

(see the Dr. Hoffmann thread)
;)

Written By: Macphisto on 05/01/08 at 10:56 pm

WELL!!

*shrugs* The Catholic Church doesn't even follow its own rules.  I don't recall altar boy molestation as being part of what Christ supported.

It doesn't really matter though.  These politicians feign faith for an ignorant populace still foolish enough to believe in a version of Santa Claus for adults.

Written By: ladybug316 on 05/01/08 at 11:06 pm

;)

Wow, maybe I would've gone to church for that. 

...Everyone screaming for God and he's right there man!  Then you could sleep off a bad trip in the rectory...

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 05/02/08 at 2:40 am

We always got grape juice, not wine.  I think we were being jipped!  >:(

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 05/02/08 at 8:09 pm

;)

So that's why they keep the sacristy locked.  They get them wholesale and in bulk.  Guys in black have been hording the good stuff.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 05/02/08 at 8:11 pm

We always got grape juice, not wine.  I think we were being jipped!  >:(

Yeah, you were being jipped.  Gotta ferment that grape juice before ceremonial use. ;)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/03/08 at 11:25 am

Yeah, you were being jipped.  Gotta ferment that grape juice before ceremonial use. ;)

How about a Communion Spritzer?  Carbonated Blood of Christ!

Written By: Marian on 05/03/08 at 1:52 pm

I'm Catholic (when I want to be) and I receive Communion when I drag my sorry ass to church. I also don't believe in or agree with a lot of the bullschit the Church teaches.

I also haven't been to confession in about....ohhhh.....twenty years or so, but I figure God sees what I do every day and I'll pay for it on my deathbed or something. No point in going and making a priest keel over from shock. ;D
I agree with you.I don't advertise that i don't believe all the church's views by not doing so.

Written By: saver on 05/03/08 at 7:19 pm

*shrugs* The Catholic Church doesn't even follow its own rules.  I don't recall altar boy molestation as being part of what Christ supported.

It doesn't really matter though.  These politicians feign faith for an ignorant populace still foolish enough to believe in a version of Santa Claus for adults.

Do you want to also tell that to the Hindis who go to the water for their blessings and the other East Indians who were on the news recently who threw babies off the roof because it brings luck into their lives?  ...I'll let you tell them how they already have the luck within them, they don't need to be doing that...then maybe Catholics will get the message as well.    ;)

Written By: Macphisto on 05/03/08 at 7:54 pm

Do you want to also tell that to the Hindis who go to the water for their blessings and the other East Indians who were on the news recently who threw babies off the roof because it brings luck into their lives?  ...I'll let you tell them how they already have the luck within them, they don't need to be doing that...then maybe Catholics will get the message as well.     ;)

Good points...  I don't really like ANY religion, to be honest.  Pat Condell has the right ideas.  As a race, we need to evolve past religion, but we must also be careful not to worship the state either, since China is proof of what happens when religion is suppressed.  So this evolution toward secularism needs to be a voluntary thing, not government coerced.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 05/04/08 at 5:36 pm

How about a Communion Spritzer?  Carbonated Blood of Christ!

Perhaps the seminary should offer a course or two on bartending. :)

Check for new replies or respond here...