» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: You know those lists of scientists that don't believe in global warming?

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/01/08 at 10:29 am

someone took it upon themselves to contact all the scientists that were listed in the latest 500 scientist list

http://www.environmentalgraffiti.com/business/45-scientists-dump-global-warming-deniers-in-24-hours/1117

surprise!

some sample responses in just the first 24 hours:

I am horrified to find my name on such a list. I have spent the last 20 years arguing the opposite.”

Dr. David Sugden. Professor of Geography, University of Edinburgh

in the past, they've found these lists have contained wethermen and other non-scientists.  I guess if you can't find anyone to back up your phoney baloney viewpoint, you just make crap up.

Subject: Re: You know those lists of scientists that don't believe in global warming?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/01/08 at 7:04 pm

There was a similar expose (rhymes with Jose) on the number of articles denying global warming and the number of peer-reviewed articles in scientific journals denying global warming. 

Yes, there are some "scientists" who deny the existence of man-made global warming, but they work for "think tanks" funded by the fossil fuel industry.  It's a question of professional ethics.

Mr. Exxon: There's no such thing as global warming, right?
Dr. Scientist: Erm, well....
Mr. Exxon: Here's a briefcase full of hundred dollar bills.  It's yours.  There's no such thing as global warming, right?
Dr. Scientist: Right! Absolutely not.  No such thing at all.

:D

Subject: Re: You know those lists of scientists that don't believe in global warming?

Written By: saver on 05/01/08 at 8:27 pm

There was a similar expose (rhymes with Jose) on the number of articles denying global warming and the number of peer-reviewed articles in scientific journals denying global warming. 

Yes, there are some "scientists" who deny the existence of man-made global warming, but they work for "think tanks" funded by the fossil fuel industry.  It's a question of professional ethics.

Mr. Exxon: There's no such thing as global warming, right?
Dr. Scientist: Erm, well....
Mr. Exxon: Here's a briefcase full of hundred dollar bills.  It's yours.  There's no such thing as global warming, right?
Dr. Scientist: Right! Absolutely not.  No such thing at all.

That's just a few of 10,000 that may be misrepresented as saying 'no such significance to global warming'...someone must have DEEP POCKETS to silence them all??

On the other side, how many agreeing feel it is a BAD thing as we will have better agriculture in ares that NEVER had significant weather to effect crop growth to where we have more of crops we need? 

Also like Dennis Miller points out smarmily but making sense, I could put up with the coastal waters raising an inch and taking a step back....but what will it be like for my grandchildren's grandchildren? Do I care or okay move another in back!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/01/08 at 10:00 pm

That's just a few of 10,000 that may be misrepresented as saying 'no such significance to global warming'...someone must have DEEP POCKETS to silence them all??

On the other side, how many agreeing feel it is a BAD thing as we will have better agriculture in ares that NEVER had significant weather to effect crop growth to where we have more of crops we need? 

Also like Dennis Miller points out smarmily but making sense, I could put up with the coastal waters raising an inch and taking a step back....but what will it be like for my grandchildren's grandchildren? Do I care or okay move another in back!

____________________________________________________________________________________

^ Dennis Miller's EEG reading.

OK, now 10,000 what?
:P

Written By: ladybug316 on 05/01/08 at 10:22 pm

Wait...what?  Am I enterpreting your post correctly?
Are you saying it can't be some sort of conspiracy theory because there are too many scientists to pay off?

Are you insinuating there's a positive upshoot to global warming?

What are you saying?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/01/08 at 10:28 pm

Are you saying it can't be some sort of conspiracy theory because there are too many scientists to pay off?

What are you saying?

You asked him five questions.  Be prepared to be five times more confused!

Written By: ladybug316 on 05/01/08 at 10:35 pm

You asked him five questions.  Be prepared to be five times more confused!

Right.  If you can't dazzle me with your brilliance, baffle me with your bullsh##.  ::) ;)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/01/08 at 10:49 pm

Right.  If you can't dazzle me with your brilliance, baffle me with your bullsh##.  ::) ;)

Yep, my old man used to say, "If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with bullsh**."  It took me the first 15 years of my adult life to understand all the ways the SOB applied the maxim to his counsel about "life" in the "real world."
;D

Written By: ladybug316 on 05/01/08 at 11:13 pm

Yep, my old man used to say, "If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with bullsh**."  It took me the first 15 years of my adult life to understand all the ways the SOB applied the maxim to his counsel about "life" in the "real world."
;D

;D

Written By: saver on 05/01/08 at 11:44 pm

What are you saying?

I'm saying try looking at BOTH sides instead of being like the morons who jump at every blip on the science front..i.e. nuclear will kill us in a mushroom cloud..ooh, a dirty bomb will stop the world...I rely on Scientists who do the research/have done the studies..then I decide whether what they are saying is BULL or not..I cornered one of these tree hugging dolts at a supermarket trying to get signatures to develop alternative fuels and asked why he wasn't petitioning to get Gov.Arnold to permit nuclear power plants in CA..so back with the 'conspiracy' ARE YOU ONE OF THOSE WHO BELIEVE A CAR THAT CAN RUN  WITHOUT THE USE OF GAS WAS INVENTED BUT A TEAM HAD THE GUY KILLED AND HIS PLANS BURNED SO WE CONTINUE TO USE OIL?  Who twisted your mind NOT to see there are benefits to global warming as well?? I believe it and can tell you but you find it like I'm speaking another language.

Warming has been recorded BUT for how long? I heard since the end of the 1800...so, what was the planet doing BEFORE recorded data? There WAS hot years and cool years...the same rhetoric about the Earth heading through a heat age had the SAME wording in the 70's with HEAT/HOT replaced by COLD/ICE.

Yes, if they tried paying off 10,000 of some of the scholared scientists to ignore it..I could never believe there would at least be a handful who would speak up.

We can't even find Bin Ladin..use that as your yardstick!   

Written By: ladybug316 on 05/02/08 at 9:01 am

Maybe Bin Laden crawled into the hole in the ozone layer  :P 

I believe you insinuated that I was a moron "jumping at every blip on the science front" - this coming from someone who thinks there are two sides to this issue.  Global warming is a FACT.  Even if the earth has been warming in small increments for centuries, how can you deny man's involvement in at least speeding up the process?

Maxwell was right as usual, and I'm baffled by your bullsh##

Written By: saver on 05/02/08 at 4:30 pm

Maybe Bin Laden crawled into the hole in the ozone layer  :P 

I believe you insinuated that I was a moron "jumping at every blip on the science front" - this coming from someone who thinks there are two sides to this issue.  Global warming is a FACT.  Even if the earth has been warming in small increments for centuries, how can you deny man's involvement in at least speeding up the process?

Maxwell was right as usual, and I'm baffled by your bullsh##

Not pinning the moron tag onto you. I was directing it towards those who constantly go on about global warming being terribly bad for everyone..which is usually the next slop that follows when these eco-wackos begin pointing out what they may think are errors in our understanding of the current conditions. You may be in the minority just 'commenting' on the issue.
As  I do go off into 4-5 directions, as Maxwell says, I usually start out with the thread but tie into other issues..if it's about the death penalty, I would give an example of someone against it and bring up other issues they were involved in which leads to making suckers out of others which lead other causes..and by that time...my comments are full of different topics.

I may be micro stating my points..however if Maxwell finds it BS ..I can assure you, I am at least using scholared references who have been involved with trying to make the case that although there IS global warming...scare mongers and grandstanders like Mr. Gore is only giving you the down side..Have you ever heard him say..'you know what good  IS coming, is more crops in drought stricken areas, undiscovered vegetation from ice that is  melting...and other benefits' ....

I again point out the petitions..who I tried to take up on a debate but they NO VIABLE IMMEDIATE FUEL ALTERNATIVE and believed the propaganda of the Sierra Club and Greenpeace, who would get better attention by campaigning to state legislators to begin the construction of more nuclear plants...that can start a lead to easing the global warming fear.

If I am making general comments on topics, I may throw in BS  from the messageboard or street chatter, however, I can speak from a more schooled position on THIS topic as
my credible and reliable information source is from someone who actually researched and speaks on this regularly on KGO-radio in San Francisco: Dr. Bill Wattenburg, former worker at the Lawrence Livermore Facility,NASA shuttle project, and Professor of Engineering at UC Berkley..He, for years led the fight in California hearings to stop the use of MTBE in state gasoline as he did the research that found it cancerous and toxic..but the gas company officials laughed at him and pushed it through..now 10-12 years later, they come back with 'You know that is a bad additive and we will begin banning it'...Now he leads the fight for NUKE PLANTS and I trust he knows what he is talking about as he did the figuring...

That's what I feel about it...based on facts   

Check for new replies or respond here...