» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Boris Johnson is Mayor of London

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/03/08 at 2:03 am

From BBC News Online

Boris Johnson has won the race to become the next mayor of London - ending Ken Livingstone's eight-year reign at City Hall.

The Conservative candidate won with 1,168,738 first and second preference votes, compared with Mr Livingstone's 1,028,966 on a record turnout of 45%.

He paid tribute to Mr Livingstone and appeared to offer him a possible role in his new administration.

Lib Dem Brian Paddick came third and the Greens' Sian Berry came fourth.

Mr Johnson is expected to stand down as MP for Henley, triggering a by-election.

Subject: Re: Boris Johnson is Mayor of London

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 05/03/08 at 2:35 am

So you got to meet the new mayor of London.  Well, I wish him luck at his new job.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/03/08 at 2:43 am

So you got to meet the new mayor of London.  Well, I wish him luck at his new job.
I did see him again and shouted "Good Luck" across the road to him, he waved back in acknowledgement.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 05/03/08 at 2:45 am

I did see him again and shouted "Good Luck" across the road to him, he waved back in acknowledgement.

I'm going to assume that your well wishes won him the election.  (I know it's a long shot but it makes for great story telling.)

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/03/08 at 2:49 am

I'm going to assume that your well wishes won him the election.  (I know it's a long shot but it makes for great story telling.)
When I see him again I try for a picture.

His win will bring a welcome to London, hopefully he may review the Congestion Charge murlarky.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 05/03/08 at 2:57 am

When I see him again I try for a picture.

His win will bring a welcome to London, hopefully he may review the Congestion Charge murlarky.

Yes, please do try.  The mayor of such a large city.  Wow!!!

We have tolls here in the states, but that is ridiculous.  Congestion charge, to keep traffic low.  Are people supposed to walk or ride a bike to their destination?  People complain about the tolls here, but at least we know it's going for road maintenance.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/03/08 at 5:34 am

Yes, please do try.  The mayor of such a large city.  Wow!!!

We have tolls here in the states, but that is ridiculous.  Congestion charge, to keep traffic low.  Are people supposed to walk or ride a bike to their destination?  People complain about the tolls here, but at least we know it's going for road maintenance.
In London it seemed that the Congestion Charge worked at first, but now the motorist just paid the charge and drive in making central London the same as it was before.

Written By: ladybug316 on 05/03/08 at 4:11 pm

In London it seemed that the Congestion Charge worked at first, but now the motorist just paid the charge and drive in making central London the same as it was before.
They just voted this absurd plan down in New York City.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/04/08 at 6:44 am

They just voted this absurd plan down in New York City.
The Mayor of New York does not wish to earn more money through this system?

Written By: ladybug316 on 05/04/08 at 9:27 am

The Mayor of New York does not wish to earn more money through this system?
Oh, the mayor was ALL for it.  Everyone else shot it down.  There was more than $400 million in federal funding to be allocated to implement this system.  When this was shot down however, they gave half the money to Los Angeles to build a much needed commuter lane on their busy freeway.  I believe the other half has yet to be allocated.

Written By: philbo on 05/06/08 at 8:11 am

Do you realize that this is the first time Ken Livingstone's lost an election?  When he was leader of the GLC (the Greater London Council as was), Maggie got rid of the GLC, 'cause she couldn't get rid of Ken...

I was an "anyone but Ken" sort of bod, until I realized what "anyone" meant.. I honestly can't believe Boris has been elected: the "jovial buffoon" act really doesn't cover the sort of sharp, incisive mind that his supporters suggest.. if it did, he wouldn't react to sensible questions with indignation - he'd answer them.  It really does seem to me that the exaggerated buffoonery is really an act to cover up the fact that he *is* genuinely a complete and utter buffoon.  I only hope that he'll bring in people who will be competent at running things - 'cause the one thing you can guarantee is that Boris is not capable of it.

Written By: ladybug316 on 05/06/08 at 8:15 am

Do you realize that this is the first time Ken Livingstone's lost an election?  When he was leader of the GLC (the Greater London Council as was), Maggie got rid of the GLC, 'cause she couldn't get rid of Ken...

I was an "anyone but Ken" sort of bod, until I realized what "anyone" meant.. I honestly can't believe Boris has been elected: the "jovial buffoon" act really doesn't cover the sort of sharp, incisive mind that his supporters suggest.. if it did, he wouldn't react to sensible questions with indignation - he'd answer them.  It really does seem to me that the exaggerated buffoonery is really an act to cover up the fact that he *is* genuinely a complete and utter buffoon.  I only hope that he'll bring in people who will be competent at running things - 'cause the one thing you can guarantee is that Boris is not capable of it.

Holy crap.  You have just described George W. Bush!

Written By: philbo on 05/06/08 at 8:28 am

Holy crap.  You have just described George W. Bush!

..possibly.. but educated at Eton.

Bush doesn't really come close in the "exemplar of buffoonery" stakes, though: Boris has taken the word and really made it his own.

Interestingly enough, on the Stop Boris blog it looks rather like Boris has offered a post in his administration to Ken... if that pans out, it'll make life interesting.

Written By: Bobby on 05/06/08 at 4:57 pm

Didn't Boris Johnson offend Liverpool and Papa New Guinea on seperate occassions?

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/06/08 at 4:59 pm

Didn't Boris Johnson offend Liverpool and Papa New Guinea on seperate occassions?
I was thinking about that over the weekend and was waiting for the references on Have I Got News For You.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/07/08 at 7:09 am

Plans to ban the drinking of alcohol on London's transport system have been unveiled by new mayor Boris Johnson.

Written By: philbo on 05/07/08 at 3:54 pm

You know, what I find funniest about that was that what he said about Liverpool was basically true - and their reaction to it only proved his point; what he said about PNG would have been accurate 40 years ago (IIRC the PNG ambassador said something along the lines of "nobody's been eaten for at least 40 years")

But I have to admit, I find it very hard to believe he got elected...

Written By: Paul on 05/07/08 at 4:14 pm

...hopefully he may review the Congestion Charge murlarky.

Pfft! Keep dreaming, Mr. Philip... ::)

Rule #1 of politics...never abolish a cash cow tax...

It speaks volumes that the CC hasn't actually eased congestion...

The other gambit was the funds accrued would improve public transport, but it transpires that the CC has only made a modicum of profit since its inception...the bulk of the cash is spent on administrating the whole bleedin' system!

Written By: Bobby on 05/07/08 at 4:34 pm

Pfft! Keep dreaming, Mr. Philip... ::)

Rule #1 of politics...never abolish a cash cow tax...

It speaks volumes that the CC hasn't actually eased congestion...

The other gambit was the funds accrued would improve public transport, but it transpires that the CC has only made a modicum of profit since its inception...the bulk of the cash is spent on administrating the whole bleedin' system!

Ha ha! Welcome to beaurocracy, folks!  ;D

Written By: Bobby on 05/07/08 at 4:44 pm

You know, what I find funniest about that was that what he said about Liverpool was basically true - and their reaction to it only proved his point; what he said about PNG would have been accurate 40 years ago (IIRC the PNG ambassador said something along the lines of "nobody's been eaten for at least 40 years")

But I have to admit, I find it very hard to believe he got elected...

I think he said that Liverpool citizens portrayed themselves to be victims or something to that effect and so in retaliation to that, Liverpool did cry victim, lol. However, it is risky business to generalise people in a socially aware occupation as local MP.

That woman Kate Hoey is a weird one. She declared that she would back Boris Johnson if he becomes mayor and then no-shows claiming she was 'really ill'.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/08/08 at 3:16 am

That woman Kate Hoey is a weird one. She declared that she would back Boris Johnson if he becomes mayor and then no-shows claiming she was 'really ill'.
Did anyone catch what co-Mayoral runner Brian Paddick called Kate Hoey?

Written By: philbo on 05/09/08 at 8:28 am

Did anyone catch what co-Mayoral runner Brian Paddick called Kate Hoey?

From the BBC:
...Mr Livingstone described Ms Hoey as "eccentric".
...Liberal Democrat candidate Brian Paddick said: "Kate Hoey is bonkers - they make a perfect couple."

Now for a quick game of "spot the politician" ;)

Seems to me that Hoey's really rather sensible position of "of course I'll advise the next mayor about the Olympics, whoever it may be" gets translated by careless (or mischievous) journalists as "Kate Hoey will be the first member of Boris Johnson's administration".

I mean, what's she supposed to say?  "No, I'll go off in a huff if BJ gets elected"?

Check for new replies or respond here...