» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Mayor of London Johnson unveils Tube alcohol ban

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/07/08 at 7:08 am

On BBC News Online

Plans to ban the drinking of alcohol on London's transport system have been unveiled by new mayor Boris Johnson.

He joined London's transport commissioner Peter Hendy to set out a timeline for bringing in the measure.

The ban on the Tube, trains, buses and Docklands Light Railway was one of Mr Johnson's election pledges.

It is also part of a wider strategy to tackle anti-social behaviour. New posters were also unveiled advising passengers of the no-alcohol policy.

Mr Johnson said: "I firmly believe that if we drive out so-called minor crime then we will be able to get a firm grip on more serious crime.

"That's why from 1 June the drinking of alcohol will be banned from the tube, tram, bus, and Docklands Light Railway."

Mr Hendy said: "I am sure that cutting out boozing on public transport will be welcomed by our passengers and staff."

Don Shenker, Chief Executive of Alcohol Concern, said: "Public drinking and the behaviour sometimes associated with it can, and does, deeply affect people's ability to enjoy public spaces.

"Taking a firm approach to public drinking in this way sends a strong message that public drunkenness is socially unacceptable."

Subject: Re: Mayor of London Johnson unveils Tube alcohol ban

Written By: Bobby on 05/07/08 at 7:13 am

The only problem with that is it may encourage drunk people to drive, seeing as it's an offence to ride the tube drunk.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/07/08 at 7:14 am

The only problem with that is it may encourage drunk people to drive, seeing as it's an offence to ride the tube drunk.
It may cause the problem of drunk having to walk home?

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/07/08 at 7:16 am

There again reading this correctly, it is DRINKING on The Tube that is NOT allowed, so can a drunk (steaming with alcohol) still be allowed to travel on public transport, even though not carrying any drink of any form?

Written By: Bobby on 05/07/08 at 7:30 am

There again reading this correctly, it is DRINKING on The Tube that is NOT allowed, so can a drunk (steaming with alcohol) still be allowed to travel on public transport, even though not carrying any drink of any form?

Boris Johnson said that drinking on the tube would be banned (surprised it wasn't before) but Don Shenker's statement at the bottom doesn't differentiate between the two using the words 'drinking and the behaviour associated with it'.

They also say it's a 'wider strategy to tackle anti-social behaviour'. Drunken behaviour is what I would call anti-social behaviour.

Regardless, I think it is a step in the right direction.  :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/07/08 at 7:32 am

Boris Johnson said that drinking would be on the tube would be banned (surprised it wasn't before) but Don Shenker's statement at the bottom doesn't differentiate between the two using the words 'drinking and the behaviour associated with it'.

They also say it's a 'wider strategy to tackle anti-social behaviour'. Drunken behaviour is what I would call anti-social behaviour.

Regardless, I think it is a step in the right direction.  :)
...no more cabaret on the tube journey home.

Written By: Bobby on 05/07/08 at 7:38 am

...no more cabaret on the tube journey home.

Instead of singing 'Roll out the barrell' it would be roll out the train from Islington to Paddington, lol.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/07/08 at 8:02 am

Instead of singing 'Roll out the barrell' it would be roll out the train from Islington to Paddington, lol.
...does that include the drivers?

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 05/07/08 at 8:42 am

ahhh..that's too bad.  No more impromptu wine tasting parties on the Paddington Station line.  lol

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/07/08 at 8:48 am

ahhh..that's too bad.  No more impromptu wine tasting parties on the Paddington Station line.  lol
It has been known for people (students) to have parties on the Circle Line. The is the line whe the trains do go round (circular) all day.

Written By: Bobby on 05/07/08 at 4:46 pm

It has been known for people (students) to have parties on the Circle Line. The is the line whe the trains do go round (circular) all day.

Really? LOL!!!

I've heard of house parties but tube parties!?!  ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/07/08 at 6:00 pm

I'm surprised to hear alcohol consumption was legal on public transport in the first place. 

In the U.S. (most places where viable mass transport exists) you can ride drunk all to hell so long as you behave.  You just can't consume alcohol or possess open containers of alcohol on transport facilities. 

I've got no problem with that.

Written By: Macphisto on 05/07/08 at 7:18 pm

Sounds like a decent enough idea to me.  Maybe the chavs will settle down some....

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/08/08 at 2:36 am

Really? LOL!!!

I've heard of house parties but tube parties!?!  ;D
Definitely true, I have witness one. I was sitting in an adjacent carriage and I could view the going ons through the windows at the end of the carriage. While the train is motion the party would be in full swing and as the train pulls into a station all the revellers would sit down (glasses or cans in hand) as if nothing is happening.

Check for new replies or respond here...