» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: California ban on same sex marriage struck down.

Written By: Jessica on 05/15/08 at 12:45 pm

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/05/15/same.sex.marriage/index.html

Discuss!

My opinion is this: YAY!

Subject: Re: California ban on same sex marriage struck down.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/15/08 at 12:56 pm

Way cool. I think that same-sex couple will be able to legally wed in every state in the Union within the next 50 years or so (probably sooner). I think in 50 years people will probably say some like, "I don't understand why people try to stop same-sex marriage".

Cat

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/15/08 at 12:58 pm

Way cool. I think that same-sex couple will be able to legally wed in every state in the Union within the next 50 years or so (probably sooner). I think in 50 years people will probably say some like, "I don't understand why people try to stop same-sex marriage".

Only if about half the country falls off the top half of it.  I honestly don't see anything changing that much in 50 years.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/15/08 at 1:26 pm

Only if about half the country falls off the top half of it.  I honestly don't see anything changing that much in 50 years.

I can hope can't I?

Cat

Written By: Tia on 05/15/08 at 1:32 pm

SCOTUS will shoot this down in three... two...

Written By: annonymouse on 05/15/08 at 4:10 pm

California seems to always be leading the way in the right direction. I'm glad that not every state in America is ruled by religion.

Written By: Temptation on 05/15/08 at 5:44 pm

Good! They need to get rid of the death penalty next.

Written By: midnite on 05/15/08 at 5:58 pm

Now hopefully more states will follow with lifting the ban - should they institute a ban on straight marriage since the divorce rate is 50%?

Written By: Dagwood on 05/15/08 at 6:03 pm

Good for them.

Written By: snozberries on 05/15/08 at 7:12 pm

'bout friggin' time....

Written By: Red Ant on 05/15/08 at 7:40 pm

Awesome.

Ant

Written By: Step-chan on 05/15/08 at 9:35 pm

Cool!

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 05/16/08 at 10:34 am

California has always been a pain in the butt for conservatives.  It was the first state to allow interracial marriage. This doesn't surprise me.  I don't think if the put the ban on the ballot it will pass either.  I'm happy that they struck it down.  Who or what does Gay Marriage hurt?  The Traditional Family?  That form is already the minority.  Divorce, equality of the sexes, lower birthrate.  Don't like Gay Marriage.  Don't have one.

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/17/08 at 7:53 pm

SCOTUS will shoot this down in three... two...

SCOTUS won't touch this case.  Instead it will be settled by POTROC (People of the Republic of California) when the gay marriage ban amendment to the California Constitution hits the ballot in November.

My guess is that the odds are that the ban will pass, since the law that was struck down was also the product of the popular vote.

Written By: Davester on 05/17/08 at 9:17 pm

Since the US Constitution does not grant the Federal government power over marriage laws, it seems this is not a matter for the Federal courts to decide.  It should stick...

On a personal note: Definately good news for divorce lawyers because throughout history marriage has been the leading factor of every divorce.  I'll never understand why anyone - bi, gay, or whatever - would want to have the right to divorce.  Why not just find someone of (or opposite) your gender, give them a house and half your salary for the rest of your life, and skip the wedding..?

Anyway, maybe now my sister will move back home from Florida... :(

Written By: whistledog on 05/17/08 at 9:19 pm

Did you see Ellen?  The moment they announced this, she announced on her show she was getting married to her lover :)

Written By: Brian06 on 05/17/08 at 9:25 pm

Good news. I don't see why people care if two gay people want to get married, I don't worry about other people's personal lives myself.

Written By: Red Ant on 05/17/08 at 10:19 pm

Since the US Constitution does not grant the Federal government power over marriage laws, it seems this is not a matter for the Federal courts to decide.  It should stick...

On a personal note: Definately good news for divorce lawyers because throughout history marriage has been the leading factor of every divorce.  I'll never understand why anyone - bi, gay, or whatever - would want to have the right to divorce.  Why not just find someone of (or opposite) your gender, give them a house and half your salary for the rest of your life, and skip the wedding..?

Anyway, maybe now my sister will move back home from Florida... :(

One word: benefits.

Ant

Written By: saver on 05/17/08 at 10:42 pm

Good! They need to get rid of the death penalty next.

YEAH LET EVIL LIVE!!!RAH!!!!!!  And let's let YOU take care of them.....

Written By: saver on 05/17/08 at 10:47 pm

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/05/15/same.sex.marriage/index.html

Discuss!

My opinion is this: YAY!

For whatever reason people are against it may be another issue....as for the 'action' of passing this, it basicaly came down to one judge who voted that the people of he State who voted for the ban were wrong.....It's up now for another group vote...maybe it changed their minds too..that will tell...

*Ellen is now saying she MAY eventually marry, the original announcement was more of as joke taken out of context where people now want to send her a gift etc...she'll let everyone know when it is for real.   

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/18/08 at 12:47 am

When you look at the number of gay couples who want to get married versus the number of heterosexual couples who can't stay together, the former is miniscule.

Written By: Gis on 05/19/08 at 10:45 am

One word: benefits.

Ant

Well said, you beat me to it. That's why it has proved very popular since they brought it in in the U.K.

Written By: wildcard on 05/19/08 at 11:33 am

I wouldn't want to have a same sex marrage but we don't need to be stopping the people that want to. 

Written By: Temptation on 05/20/08 at 1:12 pm

I wouldn't want to have a same sex marrage but we don't need to be stopping the people that want to. 

I agree. We need to think about our environment, not stopping gay marriage.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/22/08 at 8:09 pm

Yeah, I'm with the libertarian on this one.  If the feds wanna ban gay marriage (or universalize gay marriage), let 'em get congress to vote for a Constitutional amendment.
::)

Written By: saver on 05/23/08 at 8:33 pm

As a conservative commitee tries to hold off the marriage rush, it's been surveyed that if the voters were given the chance to vote-at this time-they would still want it banned...

Written By: Macphisto on 05/24/08 at 2:19 pm

As a conservative commitee tries to hold off the marriage rush, it's been surveyed that if the voters were given the chance to vote-at this time-they would still want it banned...

Well, that just shows you that sometimes the majority can't be trusted with civil rights issues.  The majority didn't support the ending of segregation either, but we had to push it through for equality.  What's going on with gays is pretty much the same.  Most people ignorantly have prejudices against gays, so it's no surprise that they support ridiculous bans.

Written By: saver on 05/24/08 at 5:54 pm

Well, that just shows you that sometimes the majority can't be trusted with civil rights issues.  The majority didn't support the ending of segregation either, but we had to push it through for equality.  What's going on with gays is pretty much the same.  Most people ignorantly have prejudices against gays, so it's no surprise that they support ridiculous bans.

It's a matter then to choose your causes, as the state of CA wanted tighter illegal immigration laws and it was reversed after a hefty vote..
Currently the police cannot ask if you are here illegally in LA County, when asked why don't the police do somethingabout this, the chief Bratton says, 'you don't like it leave'..it is NOT up to the police to do the asking!

Do they have to take a vote on that too and watch as they debate it and reverse that as well....

A lot of reversing goingon in the state I think. That's why I refuse to vote on anything in the state or local! THEY (POLITICIANS)made their case for me!   

Written By: Macphisto on 05/24/08 at 6:10 pm

It's a matter then to choose your causes, as the state of CA wanted tighter illegal immigration laws and it was reversed after a hefty vote..
Currently the police cannot ask if you are here illegally in LA County, when asked why don't the police do somethingabout this, the chief Bratton says, 'you don't like it leave'..it is NOT up to the police to do the asking!

Do they have to take a vote on that too and watch as they debate it and reverse that as well....

A lot of reversing goingon in the state I think. That's why I refuse to vote on anything in the state or local! THEY (POLITICIANS)made their case for me!     

Well, when it comes to border security, that should be a federally set policy anyway.  That's national security.  But again, that also supports the notion that, sometimes, the majority doesn't know what's best for them or for society.

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/25/08 at 7:39 pm

California seems to always be leading the way in the right direction. I'm glad that not every state in America is ruled by religion.

Yeah I've noticed that too. This state seems to be more "cutting edge" and representative of the times (both in pop culture as well as mindset), whereas say the Midwest seems to take longer to catch up. Alot of the late '60s counterculture hippie movement was centered on San Francisco, and it has a large gay community as well.

I'm glad about this too, though. I think people who oppose gay or lesbian couples marrying are probably just worried about the traditional image of marriage changing. Although in a way I can understand that, I don't agree with it either. I could care less what someone's sexuality is as long as they're respectable citizens. Even though I'm not gay myself, I know some who are and they're some of the nicest people you can imagine. Heck, I bet some are alot more responsible than straights lol.

I guess the only concern I might share is in same sex-couples raising kids, but...as long as the kids have strong role models of both genders and have the situation explained to them once they're old enough to understand it (in steps of course), I think that's fine.

The concern should never be what someone is, only what they do.

Written By: danootaandme on 05/26/08 at 5:35 am

Whoa, whoa! Massachusetts legalized same sex marriage May 17, 2004. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/26/08 at 11:42 am

And Howie Carr didn't like it.
:P

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 05/26/08 at 12:06 pm

And I think that Drew Carey and Mr. Nigel Wick got married there not long after.  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...