» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Is the environment what sets Democrats and Republicans apart?

Written By: Temptation on 05/20/08 at 1:13 pm

I think the Democratic and Republican parties are about the same in everything except the environment. The Democrats want to save the environment and know it's the #1 issue, the Republicans want to exploit the environment to get more jobs for good Christians. ::)

Subject: Re: Is the environment what sets Democrats and Republicans apart?

Written By: MrCleveland on 05/20/08 at 2:21 pm

In my honest opinion, I think the Republicans want it both ways. Have a friendly environment, but have resources right by you at once.

You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/20/08 at 11:26 pm

the Republicans want to exploit the environment to get more jobs for good Christians. ::)

why do you say this? ???

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/21/08 at 5:05 pm

It's a lot more than the environment, but the environment is a big part of it. 

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/22/08 at 12:25 am

"The Environment" is a wedge issue. 

It's used to get a segment of the market to vote for the Jackass wing of the Party in the same way that "The Homosexual Agenda" is used by the Elephant wing of the Party.

Vote for The Environment or Big Oil will Rape Gaia to within an inch of her life and Your Children Will Die A Noxious Choking Death.

Vote for Abstinence-Only Education or The Homosexuals and Abortionists will Turn Some Of Your Kids Ghey and Murder The Babies Of The Straight Ones.

In a perfect universe, an $10B investment in tie-us-over-for-a-few-years drilling-the-hell-out-of-the-contintental-US could stabilize oil prices in the $80-150 range while we make the required $100B investment in electric cars and the construction of a nuclear/solar electricity-based energy infrastructure that would render gasoline obsolete and empower us to tell the Saudis to (quite literally) "go pound sand".  Toss in an extra $100M (chump change at this point, really) for a programme of science-based sex education that includes condoms in schools, and we'd reduce both the incidence of AIDS and the number of abortions, saving health insurance companies billions in preventable AIDS treatments (and providing a positive return on investment for the government in the form of more-than-$100M-in-tax revenues on the health insurance companies' increased profits!), and if nobody's getting pregnant in the first place, then for anyone who thinks that a blastocyst has a soul, that'd represent thousands of unfertilized eggs (and quintiollions of wasted sperm) per year that never manage to get ensouled, so with the exception of a few people at the Vatican, no harm, no foul.

But it's an imperfect universe, and wedge issues will continue to dominate the campaign so long as the electorate is dumb enough to fall for it.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/22/08 at 7:47 pm

"The Environment" is a wedge issue. 

It's used to get a segment of the market to vote for the Jackass wing of the Party in the same way that "The Homosexual Agenda" is used by the Elephant wing of the Party.

Vote for The Environment or Big Oil will Rape Gaia to within an inch of her life and Your Children Will Die A Noxious Choking Death.

Vote for Abstinence-Only Education or The Homosexuals and Abortionists will Turn Some Of Your Kids Ghey and Murder The Babies Of The Straight Ones.

In a perfect universe, an $10B investment in tie-us-over-for-a-few-years drilling-the-hell-out-of-the-contintental-US could stabilize oil prices in the $80-150 range while we make the required $100B investment in electric cars and the construction of a nuclear/solar electricity-based energy infrastructure that would render gasoline obsolete and empower us to tell the Saudis to (quite literally) "go pound sand".  Toss in an extra $100M (chump change at this point, really) for a programme of science-based sex education that includes condoms in schools, and we'd reduce both the incidence of AIDS and the number of abortions, saving health insurance companies billions in preventable AIDS treatments (and providing a positive return on investment for the government in the form of more-than-$100M-in-tax revenues on the health insurance companies' increased profits!), and if nobody's getting pregnant in the first place, then for anyone who thinks that a blastocyst has a soul, that'd represent thousands of unfertilized eggs (and quintiollions of wasted sperm) per year that never manage to get ensouled, so with the exception of a few people at the Vatican, no harm, no foul.

But it's an imperfect universe, and wedge issues will continue to dominate the campaign so long as the electorate is dumb enough to fall for it.

Oh I just love it when you talk like Skinny Puppy!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/03/darkangel.gif

Don't set them apart, set them on fire!!!!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/02/blossom.gif

Sorry, I uh........

The Republicans want to have their cake and eat your slice too!

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/22/08 at 9:18 pm

Oh I just love it when you talk like Skinny Puppy!

ROFLMAO.  Benefits of a classical education :)

Written By: Macphisto on 05/22/08 at 9:40 pm

In my honest opinion, I think the Republicans want it both ways. Have a friendly environment, but have resources right by you at once.

You can't have your cake and eat it too.

There is such a thing as economical environmental policy.  It just requires pragmatists to implement it, of which there aren't many in either party....

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/22/08 at 10:43 pm

I put the "conserve" in conservative.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/23/08 at 7:13 pm

I put the "liber" in liberal!
:D

Written By: Red Ant on 05/24/08 at 2:50 pm

why do you say this? ???

I'd love to hear the answer as well.

Ant

Written By: MrCleveland on 05/25/08 at 2:25 pm

I put the "liber" in liberal!
:D

I put the "conserve" in conservative.

I put the "inde" in independent. ;)

Check for new replies or respond here...