» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Jack Chick Tracts

Written By: Dude111 on 05/26/08 at 2:33 am

Jack Chick uses falsehoods,stereotypes,and scare tactics to frighten people into conversion ... But his tracts are quite funny no matter what your beliefs about religion are.

For a list of tracts you can read online go here...

http://www.chick.com/catalog/tractlist.asp

This one is quite contradictory!!

http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0084/0084_01.asp

I cant stand people that ASSUME GOD HATES HOMOSEXUALITY!

How do they know??

They are just trying to force thier views on others who dont believe like they!

No one really knows FOR SURE what god thinks!! (If you think it over and are honest about things!)

Subject: Re: Jack Chick Tracts

Written By: Macphisto on 05/26/08 at 5:44 pm

From the opposite end of things...  Check out an atheist's parody of religion with...  Russell's Teapot: http://russellsteapot.com/

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/26/08 at 9:18 pm

But his tracts are quite funny no matter what your beliefs about religion are.

Jack Chick was the Fred Phelps of his age, the only difference is that he was actually funny... even if he had no idea just why.

As a D&D nerd, the anti-Dungeons and Dragons strip was probably my favorite of the bunch.

How many countless hours did I waste with my friends from both high school and college, armed solely with white-out and a fine black pen, whiting out the original dialogue and coming up with our own parodies? 

I'll neither confirm nor deny attempts to sneak the appropriately-edited strips into the stacks of tracts offered by the campus fundie organizations.  Please refer all questions regarding such pranks to the Campus Crusade for Cthulhu (It found me!)

Written By: MrCleveland on 05/27/08 at 3:45 pm

I like these tracts because of the way they are drawn.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/27/08 at 6:35 pm

I don't know Jack Chick about it!
:D

Written By: Red Ant on 05/27/08 at 7:32 pm

As a D&D nerd, the anti-Dungeons and Dragons strip was probably my favorite of the bunch.

Now I know where Mrs. Loftheim got her ammo against me when I was 14. That comic strip is eerily like a conversation she had with me, in which (witch?) I was told D&D were tools of the Devil and that I should burn all of my books, as well as stay away from her son. I nodded my head...

... when I got away from her some 45 minutes later, I said to myself "Burn this? That campaign set cost me 25$!"

I cant stand people that ASSUME GOD HATES HOMOSEXUALITY!

How do they know??

Some people, like the Phelps, take one passage from the Bible, most likely Leviticus 20:13, and use it to spread a message of hate.

Interestingly enough, there are exceedingly few mentions of gay activity or rules about it in the New Testament. Since the word "homosexual(-ity)" is relatively new (~100 years old), one should be wary of any Bible translations that include it. There is no ancient word that means homosexual in the sense that we know it today, and even Leviticus 20:13 (probably the most damning verse used against gays) isn't clear in its meaning.

As for the cartoons, I think I'd rather read Foo Bar's punchlines than the original... endings.

Ant

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/27/08 at 7:42 pm

Now I know where Mrs. Loftheim got her ammo against me when I was 14. That comic strip is eerily like a conversation she had with me, in which (witch?) I was told D&D were tools of the Devil and that I should burn all of my books, as well as stay away from her son. I nodded my head...

... when I got away from her some 45 minutes later, I said to myself "Burn this? That campaign set cost me 25$!"

Some people, like the Phelps, take one passage from the Bible, most likely Leviticus 20:13, and use it to spread a message of hate.

Interestingly enough, there are exceedingly few mentions of gay activity or rules about it in the New Testament. Since the word "homosexual(-ity)" is relatively new (~100 years old), one should be wary of any Bible translations that include it. There is no ancient word that means homosexual in the sense that we know it today, and even Leviticus 20:13 (probably the most damning verse used against gays) isn't clear in its meaning.

As for the cartoons, I think I'd rather read Foo Bar's punchlines than the original... endings.

Ant

God's Bi.  He created man first, like I've just got to see this gorgeous new guy, and then the guy's woman is a total get-in-the-way.  But God isn't gay because if He was He wouldn't have figured out the heterosexual male so well!

(sorry.)
:-\\

Written By: KKay on 05/27/08 at 8:49 pm

we had a thread about this before.  I still love 'em!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/27/08 at 11:32 pm

I think they are groovy. :)

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/29/08 at 12:26 am

Had two similar conversations:

One - with my parents about that big red Efreeti on the cover of one of the books - was pretty short.  "Sure.  He's one of the bad guys.  Who do you think we're trying to kill, the good guys?!"  (The longer version of the conversation was "Tell you what, let us hold our next campaign here next time.  Listen in on us -- not like you'll have much choice with us laughing our asses off at 3 in the morning so loud that you can hear us all the way from the basement, but you should at least figure out that we're just having fun instead of doing whatever it is that Pastor XYZ thinks we're doing")

Two - an even easier sale with a very smart (but very short, and very old, and who could no longer clean the boards herself) teacher.  "Yeah, we're hiding out in your classroom to play D&D while you're at lunch.  You know we're all A+ students and that we're not nuts.  We clean the blackboards and line up the desks, you don't tell the principal what we're doing here over lunch hour!".  Win-win for four consecutive years of high school -- the blackboards she didn't have to clean didn't hurt her, and what the principal didn't know didn't hurt him either.

Written By: Dude111 on 05/29/08 at 3:09 am

I don't know Jack Chick about it!
;D

Written By: philbo on 05/29/08 at 7:09 am

For ages I thought that Jack Chick was an atheist doing parodies - some are so unutterably stupid and just plain wrong that it's impossible not to read them as parodying Christianity.

Written By: Tia on 05/29/08 at 1:25 pm

For ages I thought that Jack Chick was an atheist doing parodies - some are so unutterably stupid and just plain wrong that it's impossible not to read them as parodying Christianity.

i hear ya.

http://www.chick.com/tractimages96596/0084/0084_04.gif

this is like mad magazine type stuff.

Written By: Tia on 05/29/08 at 1:36 pm

THIS one'll harsh your buzz!

http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/1102/1102_01.asp

http://www.chick.com/tractimages96596/1102/1102_08.gif

Check for new replies or respond here...