» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Who's Liberal here?

Written By: MrCleveland on 05/30/08 at 9:12 am

I'm not Liberal, but I'm Liberal enough to get through life.

Subject: Re: Who's Liberal here?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/30/08 at 10:27 am

I just replied in the conservative thread..but w/o going into too much detail here...I lean more conservative....but there are certain issues that I agree more with liberals. I kind of sit on the fence with several things.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/30/08 at 10:31 am

I am probably one of most liberal people here on the board.

Cat

Written By: MrCleveland on 05/30/08 at 11:23 am

I am probably one of most liberal people here on the board.

Cat

I see you more up there with Tia and Maxwell Smart.

Written By: danootaandme on 05/30/08 at 4:37 pm

SAY IT LOUD, I'M LIBERAL AND PROUD!!!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/30/08 at 4:54 pm

This is NOT me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STdmiiYTl9I

Cat

Written By: Dagwood on 05/30/08 at 6:43 pm

I just replied in the conservative thread..but w/o going into too much detail here...I lean more conservative....but there are certain issues that I agree more with liberals. I kind of sit on the fence with several things.

Exactly how I feel.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 05/30/08 at 7:06 pm

Like I just said, theres both lib & con issues I agree with. While many would consider me lib, I just consider myself someone who prefers not to use labels.

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/30/08 at 7:37 pm

I am....BUT for the record, I think there's an image of left-wingers as having this "anything goes" mentality (either in regard to the rules or common sense), which totally isn't true. ;)

While I can't speak for anyone else, my Liberal nature comes more from having tolerance, compassion and understanding towards most people. I'm generally open to other ideas, lifestyles or opinions besides my own, even if I don't like or approve of them. I'll even defend something that I personally hate, just because I know that other people still have the right to it (as despicable as it might be). I draw an absolute line with anything illegal...but aside from that, I think so long as you're not hurting anyone or breaking the law, you're entitled to believe or live however you want.

It's also the idea of wanting what's right for everyone as much as possible. For example I'm one of those types who cares about the community and even the world in general, so I think every opinion has a right to be heard (although we have an equal right to say we hate it!).

I dare say I think the world would be a better place if each of us tried to understand other people's points of view and saw where they're coming from. Everyone usually has reasons for feeling how they do, because our beliefs are largely shaped by our lives. For the record, "understanding" doesn't mean "agreeing" and it certainly doesn't mean compromising your own views, it just means being open-minded, because I think that helps us all get along. :)

Also, even if I disagree with someone on a certain point, I'll still take the rest of what they say into consideration, because maybe I'll agree on another issue. And even if I don't, maybe I'll at least learn something too.

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/30/08 at 10:12 pm

I believe, as a card-carrying canuckistani Liberal once said, that the state has no place in the bedrooms of the nation.  But because I don't think I can spend your money better than you can (and even if I did, I don't think I've got the right to take it from you in the first place), all my liberal friends think I'm a soulless corporatist.

Am I liberal?  Mu.  To ask the question is to miss the point.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/30/08 at 10:13 pm

I am, but people forget what the word means.  

I might be more of a "pragmatist" than a liberal.

:-\\

Written By: Brian06 on 05/30/08 at 10:30 pm

For the most part I'm on the liberal side, but not necessarily on everything.

Written By: Don Carlos on 05/31/08 at 11:26 am

"Love me, love me, love me I'm a liberal".  The concept has been perverted, misused, and misapplied so much that it has no meaning.  I consider myself a radical for a number of reasons, but mostly because of the analytical tools I apply to interpret the social and political reality around me, and because I believe in collective solutions to problem.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/31/08 at 12:08 pm

I am....BUT for the record, I think there's an image of left-wingers as having this "anything goes" mentality (either in regard to the rules or common sense), which totally isn't true. ;)

While I can't speak for anyone else, my Liberal nature comes more from having tolerance, compassion and understanding towards most people. I'm generally open to other ideas, lifestyles or opinions besides my own, even if I don't like or approve of them. I'll even defend something that I personally hate, just because I know that other people still have the right to it (as despicable as it might be). I draw an absolute line with anything illegal...but aside from that, I think so long as you're not hurting anyone or breaking the law, you're entitled to believe or live however you want.

It's also the idea of wanting what's right for everyone as much as possible. For example I'm one of those types who cares about the community and even the world in general, so I think every opinion has a right to be heard (although we have an equal right to say we hate it!).

I dare say I think the world would be a better place if each of us tried to understand other people's points of view and saw where they're coming from. Everyone usually has reasons for feeling how they do, because our beliefs are largely shaped by our lives. For the record, "understanding" doesn't mean "agreeing" and it certainly doesn't mean compromising your own views, it just means being open-minded, because I think that helps us all get along. :)

Also, even if I disagree with someone on a certain point, I'll still take the rest of what they say into consideration, because maybe I'll agree on another issue. And even if I don't, maybe I'll at least learn something too.

Well said (and karma). As the Wiccan Rede says: "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/31/08 at 4:33 pm

Well said (and karma). As the Wiccan Rede says: "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"

Cat

Do what I make you think you want!
(slogan for corporate America)

Written By: Macphisto on 05/31/08 at 8:10 pm

I'm left of center, so I have some conservative views (like privatizing Social Security and promoting border security).

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/02/08 at 2:08 am

Do what I make you think you want!
(slogan for corporate America)

"You'll pay to know what you really think!"
  - Slogan for the Church of the SubGenius!

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/02/08 at 9:22 pm

Can a moderate get some love?

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 06/02/08 at 10:43 pm

I like people who can't handle extremes either way.  It shows both logic and reason. :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/03/08 at 11:25 am

How about some karma?

Cat

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/03/08 at 9:49 pm

I like people who can't handle extremes either way.  It shows both logic and reason. :)

:-*

How about some karma?

Cat

Written By: MrCleveland on 06/04/08 at 1:56 pm

More Karma since you're like me.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/04/08 at 5:46 pm

More Karma since you're like me.

haha

Check for new replies or respond here...