» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Obama Quits His Church

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/01/08 at 6:43 am

Word is out that Obama has announced that he is quitting his church, this time apparently because of some remarks made by a white, Roamin' Catholic visiting priest.

My opinion, this is a bad tactical move by Obama...  :-\\

Subject: Re: Obama Quits His Church

Written By: Rice_Cube on 06/01/08 at 12:00 pm

It could be a good move though as his church seems to be full of hatemongering preachers :(

Written By: Macphisto on 06/01/08 at 1:39 pm

It's a good move.  His church was nutty.  The shame is that he didn't do this earlier.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/01/08 at 2:35 pm

To me, this is such a non-issue. Who cares. For one thing is there is something called separation of Church and State. However someone wants to practice his/her religion is up to them (just as long as they don't hurt anyone).  But, I must say that what that one guy did was totally uncalled for. To make a personal attack of someone-no matter who that someone is during a church sermon at the same time preaching about doing unto others and such is just totally hypocritical.

Politics have no place in the church and religion has no place in politics.

Cat

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/02/08 at 2:20 am

Word is out that Obama has announced that he is quitting his church, this time apparently because of some remarks made by a white, Roamin' Catholic visiting priest.

Now Jonathan Edwards,
There's a home and a summer retreat,
And for Terry Heinz-Kerry,
There's a place in the social elite,
But for Hillary Clinton,
And her lost souls left in the lurch,
There's just Reverend Jack and his Roamin' Cadillac Church...
  - With apologies to Timbuk 3

If you think the latest preacher-video from his church is nuts, wait'll you see Michelle's video tomorrow.  I'm giving 50/50 odds it's just a weekend rumor, but it's gonna be nuts if it turns out to be authentic.  (I figure we're boned no matter which of the three of 'em wins it, so we might as well bask in the glory of a thousand lulzy flamewars all over the Intertubes while we circle the drain... and if it turns out to be legit, this video could certainly spark a few.)

Written By: Zoso on 06/02/08 at 7:02 am

A presidential candidate without a church? I can't imagine too many Americans will like that.

The Democrats only hope now is Clinton.

The Democrats only want Obama because they want to redeem their racist history by being the first party with a black president. Forget about it. Wait until a good black candidate comes along to redeem your racist history. Until then, go with your only chance of winning - Clinton.

Written By: Macphisto on 06/02/08 at 7:08 pm

A presidential candidate without a church? I can't imagine too many Americans will like that.

The Democrats only hope now is Clinton.

The Democrats only want Obama because they want to redeem their racist history by being the first party with a black president. Forget about it. Wait until a good black candidate comes along to redeem your racist history. Until then, go with your only chance of winning - Clinton.

American voters don't care if you have a church or not -- they only care that you have a religion.  If Obama was atheist, he wouldn't have a shot at winning.  While it is true that Hillary would supposedly win by a wider margin than Obama against McCain, I can't say I'd want her in the Oval Office.  Obama FTW.

Written By: midnite on 06/02/08 at 7:33 pm

My opinion, this is a bad tactical move by Obama...  :-\\

He is athiest. What do expect?

Written By: Dagwood on 06/02/08 at 7:34 pm

To me, this is such a non-issue. Who cares. For one thing is there is something called separation of Church and State. However someone wants to practice his/her religion is up to them (just as long as they don't hurt anyone).  But, I must say that what that one guy did was totally uncalled for. To make a personal attack of someone-no matter who that someone is during a church sermon at the same time preaching about doing unto others and such is just totally hypocritical.

Politics have no place in the church and religion has no place in politics.

Cat

I agree that it is a non-issue, but the stink that some people are making over it, I think he had no choice but to distance himself from the preacher.  Heaven forbid people should focus on the issues in this country.

I will be so happy when this election is all over, it is shaping up to be worse that Bush V Kerry. ::)

Written By: Macphisto on 06/02/08 at 8:19 pm

He is athiest. What do expect?

What makes you think that?  He went to a United Church of Christ for over 20 years.  Doesn't it sound more realistic to assume he's Christian?

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/02/08 at 8:33 pm

That's been the case up until now, but this primary year has been different.  2008 may have marked the year that church attendance became a net political liability, rather than a net asset.  The churches of Huckabee and Romney got them into the race, but ultimately cost them any chance at their party's nomination, and Obama's church came within a whisker of costing him his party's nomination.  In a McCain vs. Obama general, it may well come down to whether the voters fear Hagee's flock more than they fear Wright's flock.  If it plays out that way in the general, it'll be game-changing for 2012. 

Written By: Zoso on 06/03/08 at 3:49 am

What makes you think that?  He went to a United Church of Christ for over 20 years.  Doesn't it sound more realistic to assume he's Christian?

By that argument you could also say he's a Muslim because he spent a greater part of his life practising Islam than Christianity. If how long he was a part of a church is an indication that he completely believes the teachings of that church, or the teaching of the religion that church is a part of it, then isn't it even more realistic to assume he's Muslim?

Written By: Jessica on 06/03/08 at 10:31 am

By that argument you could also say he's a Muslim because he spent a greater part of his life practising Islam than Christianity. If how long he was a part of a church is an indication that he completely believes the teachings of that church, or the teaching of the religion that church is a part of it, then isn't it even more realistic to assume he's Muslim?

He's never been Muslim. He attended a Muslim school when he was a boy, but that's it. He also attended a Catholic school. From what I've read, his father practiced Islam for awhile, then dropped it by the time he met Obama's mother. She was never big on religions either, so he decided for himself what he wanted to practice when he was older.

And I agree with Cat and Dag. This is a total non-issue that everyone tosses around to start sh*t.

Written By: Tia on 06/03/08 at 10:39 am

i thought he was muslim!

the smears go all over the place where obama's concerned. is he elitist? or is he a militant black extremist? is he a christian fanatic or an athiest? a woman-hating opportunist or a liberal bleeding heart? he appears to be all these things and more.

and you know why he's getting smeared so mercilessly and incoherently like this? because he's going to win. and after he does he's going to be a better president than mccain, or clinton, or bush, or any of the other candidates and recent presidents who ran and governed based on division and hate.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/03/08 at 11:29 am

i thought he was muslim!

the smears go all over the place where obama's concerned. is he elitist? or is he a militant black extremist? is he a christian fanatic or an athiest? a woman-hating opportunist or a liberal bleeding heart? he appears to be all these things and more.

and you know why he's getting smeared so mercilessly and incoherently like this? because he's going to win. and after he does he's going to be a better president than mccain, or clinton, or bush, or any of the other candidates and recent presidents who ran and governed based on division and hate.

He is getting smeared because he is really a woman and we all know that this election is all about sexism.  ;) :D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/15/08 at 7:04 pm

He is getting smeared because he is really a woman and we all know that this election is all about sexism.  ;) :D ;D ;D
Cat

I was watching a TV news program a few months ago, and thos one democratic voter from Ohio was saying "well... I don't know about him.  You know, he is muslim and he did not put his hand on the Bible when he was sworn into office, yada yada yada..."  This guy was crying in his beer because he had a great job for 40 years and he just got cut loose with a buyout.  (Most people I know would LOVE to have a great job for 40 years and then get paid off to leave...)

The news caster said "You know that that's all untrue, dont you?".  The voter said "yeah, I know, but still it bothers me".

What a maroon.

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/15/08 at 10:49 pm

The news caster said "You know that that's all untrue, dont you?".  The voter said "yeah, I know, but still it bothers me".

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z319/H4ACN/facepalm.jpg

FACEPALM: Becaue expressing how dumb the average voter is in words, just doesn't work.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/16/08 at 12:37 am

I think I'm gonna quit my church too if things keep going as they are:
The church of "I Will Not Have Another Beer".
:-\\

Commandment #1: Sometime between midnight and dawn you will decline further intake of alcoholic beverages.

So five-Martini-breakfasts aren't kosher, but it'll be cheaper than heating the house on $7.00/gal. oil!

Check for new replies or respond here...