» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Paulville: taking it a bit too far?

Written By: GWBush2004 on 06/02/08 at 7:39 pm

http://paulville.org

The goal of Paulville.org it to establish gated communities containing 100% Ron Paul supporters...

San Francisco Chronicle: Ron Paul's followers believe in 'revolution'

CBS: Paulville? Count Ron Paul Out

Seattle Post Intelligencer: Ron Paul supporters: Would you move to Paulville?

Apparently, this group has already purchased 50 acres in west Texas to build the first of these gated communities.

I mean really.  This is just over-the-top.  It kind of sounds a little cultish...at least the name "Paulville" comes off that way.

Subject: Re: Paulville: taking it a bit too far?

Written By: Macphisto on 06/02/08 at 8:17 pm

They did something similar to this up in New Hampshire a while back.  Some Libertarians can be rather odd...

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/02/08 at 8:24 pm

http://www.angryflower.com/atlass.gif

"Paul's Gulch!"

Hey, nobody said rebuilding society was going to be as easy as it was in the novel.  Even in the novel, the characters were willing to do their own cooking, cleaning, housekeeping, etc.  Of course, they were ficticious characters, and didn't have to worry about just how much gruntwork there is to do (even with a free energy source) in trying to maintain an industrialized standard of living while simultaneously living off the grid.  Rand's fans tend to ignore those issues even more than her detractors do, which is the joke behind the joke.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 06/02/08 at 9:02 pm

They did something similar to this up in New Hampshire a while back.  Some Libertarians can be rather odd...

I think you're talking about the 'Free State Project'.

http://freestateproject.org/

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/03/08 at 8:23 pm

http://www.angryflower.com/atlass.gif

"Paul's Gulch!"

Hey, nobody said rebuilding society was going to be as easy as it was in the novel.  Even in the novel, the characters were willing to do their own cooking, cleaning, housekeeping, etc.  Of course, they were ficticious characters, and didn't have to worry about just how much gruntwork there is to do (even with a free energy source) in trying to maintain an industrialized standard of living while simultaneously living off the grid.  Rand's fans tend to ignore those issues even more than her detractors do, which is the joke behind the joke.

Karma +1.  Funny comic! The first panel reminds me of Naomi Klein's take on Iraq.
;D

All these self-described "Objectivists" who live in suburban tract mansions need Big Government more than anybody else.  The litmus test to see if you are prepared for a libertarian revolution:  Are you prepared to work ten times harder than you've ever worked in your life?  If the answer is no, you're not cut out for the libertarian utopia.  Am I ready?  Nooooo!
:P

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/03/08 at 10:45 pm

All these self-described "Objectivists" who live in suburban tract mansions need Big Government more than anybody else.  The litmus test to see if you are prepared for a libertarian revolution:  Are you prepared to work ten times harder than you've ever worked in your life?  If the answer is no, you're not cut out for the libertarian utopia.  Am I ready?  Nooooo!

Same here.  I like the idea, but the reality is that any society after an economic collapse is going to suck.  I'll sign up and work 20-hour days on any compound that can find a use for my skills, but Atlas has to shrug first. 

Depressing thing, of course, is that our planned political economy's failing in precisely the ways in which the Soviet one did, and in precisely the ways in which Rand hypothesized it would.  Take away the incentive to invent and the ability to extract resources at a profit, and don't be surprised if your GDP starts to shrink, shortages in food/energy start to show up, and the infrastructure on which your society was built begins to crumble.  Once the infrastructure starts to fail, the shortages become more acute, and the cycle feeds on itself.  The only thing that doesn't lack funding is government-sponsored R&D in crowd control.  But in the end, even that isn't enough.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/04/08 at 1:36 am

Same here.  I like the idea, but the reality is that any society after an economic collapse is going to suck.  I'll sign up and work 20-hour days on any compound that can find a use for my skills, but Atlas has to shrug first. 

Depressing thing, of course, is that our planned political economy's failing in precisely the ways in which the Soviet one did, and in precisely the ways in which Rand hypothesized it would.  Take away the incentive to invent and the ability to extract resources at a profit, and don't be surprised if your GDP starts to shrink, shortages in food/energy start to show up, and the infrastructure on which your society was built begins to crumble.  Once the infrastructure starts to fail, the shortages become more acute, and the cycle feeds on itself.  The only thing that doesn't lack funding is government-sponsored R&D in crowd control.  But in the end, even that isn't enough.

Humanity has lived in "planned economies" since we started having grain left over.  The problem isn't planned economies, it's badly planned economies, such as the Soviet "dictatorship of the proletariat" (translation: tyranny of the rich old farts) and Reaganomics.
::)

Maybe you could be Bob Barr's VP.  The Barr/Bar ticket!
:P

Written By: GWBush2004 on 06/04/08 at 6:50 am

The litmus test to see if you are prepared for a libertarian revolution:  Are you prepared to work ten times harder than you've ever worked in your life?  If the answer is no, you're not cut out for the libertarian utopia.  Am I ready?  Nooooo!

http://i31.tinypic.com/1zpqhph.jpg

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/04/08 at 7:44 pm

http://i31.tinypic.com/1zpqhph.jpg

That's pretty good too!
;D

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/04/08 at 10:35 pm

Maybe you could be Bob Barr's VP.  The Barr/Bar ticket! :P

You're onto something.  I always did like the idea of Barrbarians at the gate!

Check for new replies or respond here...