» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: HILLARY'S DROPPING OUT!!!!

Written By: Tia on 06/03/08 at 10:53 am

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080603/ap_on_el_pr/clinton_24;_ylt=Ak7RA7YGNmkKyurJgXBk2jYb.3QA

WAIT! NO SHE'S NOT!

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/06/03/election.democrats/index.html

AUGUGGUGUUGUGUGGHHGHGHGHGHGHGHHHGHHGHGHHHhh

i've had it up to HERE!

Subject: Re: HILLARY'S DROPPING OUT!!!!

Written By: Rice_Cube on 06/03/08 at 12:07 pm

*Sigh*

Written By: Tia on 06/03/08 at 12:13 pm

wake me up when canada invades us.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 06/03/08 at 12:20 pm

I doubt Canada wants much to do with the US of A right now :D :D

Written By: Tia on 06/03/08 at 3:14 pm

hillary apparently just said she was open to being obama's vp.  :o

maybe evil hillary has loosened her grip on slightly-less-evil hillary.

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/memoryalpha/en/images/thumb/d/d2/EvilKirk.jpg/120px-EvilKirk.jpg

Written By: Tia on 06/03/08 at 3:16 pm

wait... no, now she's saying she isn't conceding again. i have to quit hitting "refresh" on my browser. ::)

Written By: Jessica on 06/03/08 at 4:05 pm

hillary apparently just said she was open to being obama's vp.  :o

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

She's such a bitch.

Written By: Tia on 06/03/08 at 4:25 pm

they're pretty cheerful over at the huffington post. i was okay with the idea of obama taking on hillary clinton as vp if it makes it easier to beat mccain (that's priority #1) but now obama people are starting to say they won't vote for an obama ticket if hillary is on it!  ::) irreconcilable differences, we're like kramer v. kramer over here in the democratic party. goi.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 06/03/08 at 4:32 pm

She'll probably drop out soon.  Yahoo says she's "open" to the VP position.  As if to say . . . well it's better than nothing. ::)

Written By: Tia on 06/03/08 at 4:37 pm

She'll probably drop out soon.  Yahoo says she's "open" to the VP position.  As if to say . . . well it's better than nothing. ::)
to be fair, someone asked her and she just said she was "open to it," as in she wasn't ruling it out. i dont actually think she's fishing but i gotta be honest with you, i think she's pretty much got the barack block over a barrel... i dunno if they'd be happy with a cabinet spot but i just don't think the demos will win if obama doesn't give her something. it kinda sucks but there it is. to be fair, she did talk a lot of crap about having MORE popular votes but the fact is, she DOES have nearly as many. the obama people aren't gonna be able to rub her nose in the victory without a serious backlash, as much as i don't like that fact.

this was interesting, from time magazine...

HALPERIN’S TAKE: What Obama And Clinton Underestimate
Getty

Obama underestimates:

1. The intensely loyal feelings many of Clinton’s supporters have about her – and the intensely negative feelings they have about him.

2. That any delay in choosing a running mate will only bring rampant speculation about whether he is going to pick Clinton – and if not, why not – speculation so extreme it might warp and dominate the entire process (and potentially create reams of critical and distracting press for his eventual Veep selection).

3. How sensitive the Clintons are to perceived slights – what Obama sees as gracious and sufficient they sometimes see as condescending and chilly.

4. The level of scrutiny that he is about to get—the national press corps may instinctively love his story, but general election coverage automatically will be at least twice as concentrated.

5. How much the McCain high command disdains him.

6. How much the Republican Party has been preparing for this moment—and for the general. And just how potent that effort can be–indifferent as it will be to charm, change, and charisma.

7. How much sober attention will be focused on the ramifications of the November election and the burdens of the next President: the fuss and fanfare about the epic Clinton-Obama battle will seem on some levels utterly frivolous in comparison.

Clinton underestimates:

1. How big the emotional comedown is going to be the day after she drops out. Recalculating the next chapter of her life without the 24-hour campaign grind will be a weighty task indeed.

2. How uninterested the Obamas are in having her family join the ticket (a longstanding sensibility, with added fodder provided by the Vanity Fair Purdum fallout).

3. The number of her staff and top supporters who will not tolerate her campaign continuing beyond Wednesday – and just how gravely they feel about it.

4. The amount of criticism she will receive if it does not appear she is doing everything humanly possible to help Obama get elected once the nomination is officially his.

5. The disdain felt towards her in most newsrooms (and, yes, she certainly knows it is quite high). The respectful pundit commentary (“she fought hard,” “she raised important issues,” “she made advancements for women,” “she has a big place in the Democratic Party,” “she’ll dominate the Senate”) will be short-lived if she makes a single wrong step.

6. The level of martyrdom status she will attain for some American women.

7. How complicated it will be to navigate her political path—through the Scylla of Bob Dole and the Charibdis of Bill Clinton—to get to the smooth iconic waters of Al Gore and Ted Kennedy.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 06/03/08 at 4:44 pm

to be fair, someone asked her and she just said she was "open to it," as in she wasn't ruling it out. i dont actually think she's fishing but i gotta be honest with you, i think she's pretty much got the barack block over a barrel... i dunno if they'd be happy with a cabinet spot but i just don't think the demos will win if obama doesn't give her something. it kinda sucks but there it is. to be fair, she did talk a lot of crap about having MORE popular votes but the fact is, she DOES have nearly as many. the obama people aren't gonna be able to rub her nose in the victory without a serious backlash, as much as i don't like that fact.

this was interesting, from time magazine...

HALPERIN’S TAKE: What Obama And Clinton Underestimate
Getty

Obama underestimates:

1. The intensely loyal feelings many of Clinton’s supporters have about her – and the intensely negative feelings they have about him.

2. That any delay in choosing a running mate will only bring rampant speculation about whether he is going to pick Clinton – and if not, why not – speculation so extreme it might warp and dominate the entire process (and potentially create reams of critical and distracting press for his eventual Veep selection).

3. How sensitive the Clintons are to perceived slights – what Obama sees as gracious and sufficient they sometimes see as condescending and chilly.

4. The level of scrutiny that he is about to get—the national press corps may instinctively love his story, but general election coverage automatically will be at least twice as concentrated.

5. How much the McCain high command disdains him.

6. How much the Republican Party has been preparing for this moment—and for the general. And just how potent that effort can be–indifferent as it will be to charm, change, and charisma.

7. How much sober attention will be focused on the ramifications of the November election and the burdens of the next President: the fuss and fanfare about the epic Clinton-Obama battle will seem on some levels utterly frivolous in comparison.

Clinton underestimates:

1. How big the emotional comedown is going to be the day after she drops out. Recalculating the next chapter of her life without the 24-hour campaign grind will be a weighty task indeed.

2. How uninterested the Obamas are in having her family join the ticket (a longstanding sensibility, with added fodder provided by the Vanity Fair Purdum fallout).

3. The number of her staff and top supporters who will not tolerate her campaign continuing beyond Wednesday – and just how gravely they feel about it.

4. The amount of criticism she will receive if it does not appear she is doing everything humanly possible to help Obama get elected once the nomination is officially his.

5. The disdain felt towards her in most newsrooms (and, yes, she certainly knows it is quite high). The respectful pundit commentary (“she fought hard,” “she raised important issues,” “she made advancements for women,” “she has a big place in the Democratic Party,” “she’ll dominate the Senate”) will be short-lived if she makes a single wrong step.

6. The level of martyrdom status she will attain for some American women.

7. How complicated it will be to navigate her political path—through the Scylla of Bob Dole and the Charibdis of Bill Clinton—to get to the smooth iconic waters of Al Gore and Ted Kennedy.

It's so hard to find a proper underdog in this primary.  I still think it's interesting though that people who dealt with the Clinton Administration first hand are endorsing Obama.

Written By: Tia on 06/03/08 at 4:47 pm

oo! barack's coming to virginia in a couple days. i might should come out and see him. :)

Written By: Rice_Cube on 06/03/08 at 4:48 pm

No Hillary for VP!  She's gonna have him offed as soon as he takes the oath!  :o

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 06/03/08 at 4:49 pm

oo! barack's coming to virginia in a couple days. i might should come out and see him. :)

Yes, you should go say hello. :)

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 06/03/08 at 4:54 pm

No Hillary for VP!  She's gonna have him offed as soon as he takes the oath!  :o

No kidding! Of course she's "open" to being VP....cuz if she can't become president by winning the nomination, she'll do it by becoming the VP first...  :-\\

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/03/08 at 5:12 pm

I can't imagine him picking her as his VP after all the nasty things she said about him. I think he would be better off going with either John Edwards or Bill Richardson.

Cat

Written By: Tia on 06/03/08 at 6:32 pm

I can't imagine him picking her as his VP after all the nasty things she said about him. I think he would be better off going with either John Edwards or Bill Richardson.

Cat
i dunno, might be good. she could be a flesh-eating VP like cheney. the only thing that REALLY bothers me is her saying that she and mccain but not obama were ready to be president. all the slips about white voters and whatnot coulda just been throwaway lines but don't side with the other party against your own! but i dunno, i really think it's the best way to win if they can get past all the rancor.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 06/03/08 at 6:43 pm

If the delegate totals on CNN are correct, Obama is like 7 away from clinching the nomination, assuming all the superdelegates don't jump ship to Hillary just because she says she's better...

No want Hillary!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/03/08 at 6:46 pm

i dunno, might be good. she could be a flesh-eating VP like cheney. the only thing that REALLY bothers me is her saying that she and mccain but not obama were ready to be president. all the slips about white voters and whatnot coulda just been throwaway lines but don't side with the other party against your own! but i dunno, i really think it's the best way to win if they can get past all the rancor.

Out of all the nasty things that were said, that is the one thing that sticks out in my mind, too. I think when she said that, members of her party should have jumped all over her about that.

Cat

Written By: saver on 06/03/08 at 6:51 pm

Now that we were drilled with 'Don't Stop'(Fleetwood Mac) by hubby Bill...we could revive Hall&Oates with 'SHE'S GONE!!!!!!!!!'
That's what the chant was all along: Go Hillary, Go! NOT Go, Hillary, Go!  It was a matter of a hanging comma.

Written By: Tia on 06/03/08 at 6:52 pm

Out of all the nasty things that were said, that is the one thing that sticks out in my mind, too. I think when she said that, members of her party should have jumped all over her about that.

Cat
but that's the thing, we gotta look out for the party even if THEY didn't, and even if hillary was willing to sell out the party, it's still up to the party not to sell itself out to punish her. we gotta be more loyal than she was, and that's the bitch of it.

i dunno, this is what i think you do, cuz -- well, it really depends on obama and whether he thinks he could work with her as VP, but if he could give her a cabinet position -- preferably something where she and bill would be out of town a lot  :D -- make her secretary of state or put her on the supreme court or something. i actually think she'd be a decent supreme court justice. and come on, you can't complain about being made supreme court justice, that's a lifetime position!

i just don't think they can just tell her to talk to the hand, and they don't seem to be trying to, i know they've said obama and her are in negotiations.

basically i'm saying i'd like to see her get paybacks but truth be told, it's not worth a mccain presidency to get back at clinton.

Written By: Jessica on 06/03/08 at 6:53 pm

Now that we were drilled with 'Don't Stop'(Fleetwood Mac) by hubby Bill...we could revive Hall&Oates with 'SHE'S GONE!!!!!!!!!'
That's what the chant was all along: Go Hillary, Go! NOT Go, Hillary, Go!  It was a matter of a hanging comma.

I think "Rich Girl" by Hall and Oates would suit her better. ;)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/03/08 at 7:35 pm

Geri Ferraro has an Uzi!
:o

8:36 EDT 6/03/08

Obama needs 9 delegates to clinch the nomination.

I won't be surprised if the Clinton people take it to the credentials committee.
::)

Written By: Rice_Cube on 06/03/08 at 7:43 pm

http://punditkitchen.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/political-pictures-hillary-clinton-bobby-kennedy.jpg

Written By: Tia on 06/03/08 at 7:45 pm

;D

Written By: Orangina on 06/03/08 at 7:57 pm

a respectful move. she should have done it sooner. the unity of the party is more important than her winning.

Written By: saver on 06/03/08 at 8:24 pm

She is saying she would consider the vp spot..uh...who asked her?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/03/08 at 8:32 pm

"WE THE WHITE, GODFEARING CITIZENS OF ROCK RIDGE wish to express our extreme displeasure with your choice of sheriff. Please remove him immediately. The fact that you have sent him here just goes to prove that you are the leading a--hole in the state!"

--Hillary "Harriet Johnson" Clinton

Couldn't find the actual clip on YoutTube.
:-\\

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/03/08 at 10:38 pm

No kidding! Of course she's "open" to being VP....cuz if she can't become president by winning the nomination, she'll do it by becoming the VP first...  :-\\

http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/9108/funnypicturescatscaredsbv0.jpg

Oh HELL no.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 06/03/08 at 10:45 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/primary_rdp

Give it no more than 2 days and it'll be all over. :)

Written By: Jessica on 06/03/08 at 11:35 pm

She is saying she would consider the vp spot..uh...who asked her?

This is one time I have to agree with you. ;D

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 06/03/08 at 11:41 pm

Cat

No Vice President Richardson. :\'(  I feel a sense of depression coming on.

Written By: saver on 06/04/08 at 12:15 am

This is one time I have to agree with you. ;D

Thanks! ;)

Written By: Zoso on 06/04/08 at 12:35 am

She's not dropping out and she has no reason to. The convention hasn't been held yet, which means although Obama is the presumptive nominee, he's not officially been elected the democratic nominee yet. Just like Ron Paul still hasn't dropped out of the race. He, like Hillary, is doing it the way it's been done through-out history and staying in the race until the convention. I don't see why people defy history so much and are urging Clinton to drop out. The only reason I see for it is that even though Obama is the presumptive nominee, she still posses as a threat to Obama. There's no other reason why his supporters would want her to drop out.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/04/08 at 1:30 am

She's not dropping out and she has no reason to.

Uh, I think she, like, lost or something.  So that would be a reason maybe?
???

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 06/04/08 at 1:41 am

she can't win,,, right?  ???  unless all or most of the remaing SD's swing to her, which could be in defiance of their voters and constituents. after he wins the nomination, I really doubt Barack will invite her into his camp. she won't be the VP running mate.

Written By: Dagwood on 06/04/08 at 6:50 am

I really doubt Barack will invite her into his camp. she won't be the VP running mate.

I hope you are right.  I heard one of the talking heads say he would bring her on to bring in the female vote.  This is one female that would be driven away by her presence.

Written By: KKay on 06/04/08 at 7:00 am

she won't be the VP running mate.

why do people always assume that, having lost a race, they can attach themselves to someone else?
why do they think "if it's a different role, I'll be wanted".

still don't. :P

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/04/08 at 11:42 am

I highly believe that it was SHE who put out the idea of VP a few months ago when she started trailing. Remember, she ask Obama to be her VP and he basically laughed at her saying, "Um...Honey, I'm the one who is ahead". (Well, he didn't say it like that but you get the gist.) She knew at that point that she didn't have the support to be the nom so by staying in the race, she was trying to gather up support to be VP. And it seems like many people are pressuring Obama to pick her as his VP. Yeah, she wants the VP slot but the fact that she hasn't bowed out of this race yet is reason enough NOT to give it to her. It shows that she is putting her own interests ahead of what is good for the party.

And I can see Obama putting her in his cabinet as maybe Secretary of Labor or Secretary of whatever the department is that oversees health care.

Cat

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 06/04/08 at 12:28 pm

why do people always assume that, having lost a race, they can attach themselves to someone else?
why do they think "if it's a different role, I'll be wanted".

still don't. :P
I think the only reason she would attach to him is the possibilty that if he won the presidency, and something bad were to happen to him, she'd be next in line  ::) 

I highly believe that it was SHE who put out the idea of VP a few months ago when she started trailing. Remember, she ask Obama to be her VP and he basically laughed at her saying, "Um...Honey, I'm the one who is ahead". (Well, he didn't say it like that but you get the gist.) She knew at that point that she didn't have the support to be the nom so by staying in the race, she was trying to gather up support to be VP. And it seems like many people are pressuring Obama to pick her as his VP. Yeah, she wants the VP slot but the fact that she hasn't bowed out of this race yet is reason enough NOT to give it to her. It shows that she is putting her own interests ahead of what is good for the party.

And I can see Obama putting her in his cabinet as maybe Secretary of Labor or Secretary of whatever the department is that oversees health care.

Cat
I heard someone yesterday suggesting she lean towards a future Supreme Court Justice appt, and that didn't seem too far fetched, what a way for her to make her mark  :o

I hope you are right.  I heard one of the talking heads say he would bring her on to bring in the female vote.  This is one female that would be driven away by her presence.
I hope I am right too! she does seem to have a lot of women supporters though, but women won't vote for them just because she's a woman, will they?  ???

Written By: Tia on 06/04/08 at 12:32 pm

i brought up the supreme court thing but a few people suggested it that i've read, the thing is, he won't be able to give her the appointment until he's elected, it's not like someone who you can add to your cabinet during the election, it might not bring in her voters.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/04/08 at 12:40 pm

I don't think Hillary is qualified to be a Supreme Court Justice.

Cat

Written By: Tia on 06/04/08 at 12:41 pm

I don't think Hillary is qualified to be a Supreme Court Justice.

Cat
well, neither are you or me but any three of us would do better than alito and clarence thomas. ;D

Written By: Dagwood on 06/04/08 at 3:40 pm

I hope I am right too! she does seem to have a lot of women supporters though, but women won't vote for them just because she's a woman, will they?  ???

I am sure there are some, but most of us vote with our heads. 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/04/08 at 4:12 pm

well, neither are you or me but any three of us would do better than alito and clarence thomas. ;D

Well, that goes without saying.

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/04/08 at 7:25 pm

The first thing Hillary needs to do is can that clown Terry McAuliffe!
::)

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/04/08 at 10:41 pm

No, canning her campaign staff is the second thing she needs to do.

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk54/McStinky_photos/hrcpleasegonow.jpg

There's the first.

Check for new replies or respond here...