» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Unemployment is now high

Written By: MrCleveland on 06/06/08 at 9:58 am

But...I'm employed.

Subject: Re: Unemployment is now high

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/07/08 at 9:04 pm

And so am I!
:D

Written By: danootaandme on 06/07/08 at 9:05 pm

Me, too!  But it is all so tenuous

Written By: whistledog on 06/07/08 at 9:07 pm

I was unemployed for 3 years before I got a full-time job.  That's only because I held out for the kind of job I wanted, so I took temp jobs to fill that 3 year gap

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/07/08 at 10:00 pm

I was unemployed for 3 years before I got a full-time job.  That's only because I held out for the kind of job I wanted, so I took temp jobs to fill that 3 year gap

what was your experience with temp jobs, Jason? Did you like doing that? Was it semi steady? What kinds of things did you mostly do?

Written By: Dagwood on 06/07/08 at 10:07 pm

I thought temp jobs were great, when I had them.  It is a good way to find a permanent job, alot of companies only hire from them agencies.  Plus, you can try out different types of jobs and if you don't like it you don't have to do it, you can try something else.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/07/08 at 10:15 pm

I thought temp jobs were great, when I had them.  It is a good way to find a permanent job, alot of companies only hire from them agencies.  Plus, you can try out different types of jobs and if you don't like it you don't have to do it, you can try something else.

Did they have a lot of different types of jobs available?

Written By: whistledog on 06/07/08 at 10:35 pm

what was your experience with temp jobs, Jason? Did you like doing that? Was it semi steady? What kinds of things did you mostly do?

The temp jobs were terrible.  Here's some horror stories ...

One of them, I was sent to work outside for a construction company.  I quit because my job was to set up a metal perimiter fence ... during a lightning storm

Another one, I was sent to work in a trailer for a construction company.  They apparently needed someone ASAP to do a job, but it turned out the work they thought was so important wasn't quite ready yet, so I sat in a cold trailer for 3 working days twiddling my thumbs before I decided to quit

Most of the rest of the jobs I had lasted maybe 2 or three days, nothing long lasting or anything that could lead to long lasting.  The job I have now is a full-time office job.  I'm not sure it was worth 3 years to get, but I do enjoy the job, so it's all good :)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/07/08 at 10:36 pm

The temp jobs were terrible.  Here's some horror stories ...

One of them, I was sent to work outside for a construction company.  I quit because my job was to set up a metal perimiter fence ... during a lightning storm

Another one, I was sent to work in a trailer for a construction company.  They apparently needed someone ASAP to do a job, but it turned out the work they thought was so important wasn't quite ready yet, so I sat in a cold trailer for 3 working days twiddling my thumbs before I decided to quit

oh man..that sucks. Did you work very much office type jobs..or were they all outdoor crap ones?

Written By: whistledog on 06/07/08 at 10:44 pm

oh man..that sucks. Did you work very much office type jobs..or were they all outdoor crap ones?

They were pretty much outdoor crappy ones.  According to the temp agency I worked for, office jobs were scarce at the time.  When I graduated college in 2002, the first job I got was a temp job at a Provincial Government office.  I was hired for a 1 month assignment that led to a 6 month assignment.  Over 2 years later, I was still there as a temp until the Minister of Transportation for Ontario decided to put a freeze on all jobs, so I was out of work.  I loved that job so much, it was then that I decided to hold out for more office work

I had a few temp jobs in offices, but the longest one apart from ^ was another government one that lasted about 1 month

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/07/08 at 10:45 pm

They were pretty much outdoor crappy ones.  According to the temp agency I worked for, office jobs were scarce at the time.  When I graduated college in 2002, the first job I got was a temp job at a Provincial Government office.  I was hired for a 1 month assignment that led to a 6 month assignment.  Over 2 years later, I was still there as a temp until the Minister of Transportation for Ontario decided to put a freeze on all jobs, so I was out of work.  I loved that job so much, it was then that I decided to hold out for more office work

I had a few temp jobs in offices, but the longest one apart from ^ was another government one that lasted about 1 month

ya you never know what you are going to get, huh? that's the bad thing.

Written By: whistledog on 06/07/08 at 10:47 pm

ya you never know what you are going to get, huh? that's the bad thing.

It was always a mystery.  I do miss that first temp job I had.  The work was boring, but it was a fun environment and great people, but since I was a temp, I only got my pay.

The job I have now, I can get raises, advancements, vacation days and medical coverage.  With temp jobs, all you get is half your pay taken away by the agency lol

Written By: Dagwood on 06/07/08 at 11:07 pm

Did they have a lot of different types of jobs available?

I have done both office and labor/production jobs.  I never had the experiences Jason had, sounds like his were bad.  I had lots of long term jobs, in fact one of my favorite production jobs was temp.  I guess it just depends on where they send you. 

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/07/08 at 11:11 pm

I have done both office and labor/production jobs.  I never had the experiences Jason had, sounds like his were bad.  I had lots of long term jobs, in fact one of my favorite production jobs was temp.  I guess it just depends on where they send you. 

that's very true.

Written By: whistledog on 06/07/08 at 11:17 pm

With most temp agencies, you can request what sort of work you'd like to do, but at times, if you need work badly, you have to take what they have, which was the case with me and those construction jobs.  I don't like Construction work, but desperate times call for desperate measures

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/07/08 at 11:18 pm

With most temp agencies, you can request what sort of work you'd like to do, but at times, if you need work badly, you have to take what they have, which was the case with me and those construction jobs.  I don't like Construction work, but desperate times call for desperate measures

yes, that is understandable...whatever pays the bills..right?

Check for new replies or respond here...