» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Do Liberals seem younger?

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/12/08 at 6:19 am

I hope I don't upset or offend anyone here, but it's just one of those "more often than not" things I've noticed. Libs usually seem easygoing and nonjudgemental towards "new" or different lifestyles, such as homosexuality, or a guy and a girl living together before they're married. Even smaller stuff like tattoos, the way someone dresses or the music they listen to. Like they won't automatically say "Oh that's a bad influence on society/today's kids" based on their first impression.

This DOESN'T mean Republicans WILL do that. I know lots of right-leaning people who I agree with on many issues, and who are accepting of those things too. It's just that a higher percentage of lefties seem to be open to differences, while conservatives tend to be more traditional in their values on society. On the other hand, there's also Democrats like Tipper Gore who are more "old fashioned thinking" on issues of entertainment, so I know it depends on the person.

Sorry I know I reference him alot, but when Jerry Springer was in Cincinnati politics in the 1970s and early '80s, he seemed like I described. He also got involved in the Civil Rights and protested against the Vietnam war earlier.

Although he was a grown man with a family and a respectable career, he was still young enough to relate to teenagers or current social concerns with a "fresher", laid back persective than some of the elders in town did (he was 33 when he became mayor). He also was a rock fan and helped bring concerts to town, not for personal reasons (apparently he liked the Eagles and Rolling Stones), but probably because he realized it was just entertainment that wouldn't hurt anyone.

Subject: Re: Do Liberals seem younger?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/12/08 at 3:14 pm

It seems to me when people are younger, they are more liberal. They want to "do their own thing" and not be bothered by the "norm". Many young people are idealistic thinking they can change the world-thus you have a lot of young people want to help with causes. As for protesting against the Vietnam war, the people who were sent there (remember there was a draft at the time) were young men. They resented the fact that they were forced to fight a war they didn't feel was just. Today, it is a bit different because we have an all volunteer military. Everyone member of the military volunteered knowing that there is always a chance that there will be a war. (Even though this war we are in is NOT a just war and we should not be in Iraq-but that is another issue.)

For some reason, as people get older, they become set in their ways. Either they realize that they can't change the world-like they thought they could when they were younger, or they just have the attitude of "oh well-who cares". As they get older, they because more and more conservative. I can't tell you how many times I have heard people say, "I was more liberal when I was younger but now I'm conservative."

I am one of the exceptions to that rule. I used to be conservative when I was younger-now I'm a liberal.  :D :D :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/12/08 at 7:21 pm

It seems to me when people are younger, they are more liberal. They want to "do their own thing" and not be bothered by the "norm". Many young people are idealistic thinking they can change the world-thus you have a lot of young people want to help with causes. As for protesting against the Vietnam war, the people who were sent there (remember there was a draft at the time) were young men. They resented the fact that they were forced to fight a war they didn't feel was just. Today, it is a bit different because we have an all volunteer military. Everyone member of the military volunteered knowing that there is always a chance that there will be a war. (Even though this war we are in is NOT a just war and we should not be in Iraq-but that is another issue.)

For some reason, as people get older, they become set in their ways. Either they realize that they can't change the world-like they thought they could when they were younger, or they just have the attitude of "oh well-who cares". As they get older, they because more and more conservative. I can't tell you how many times I have heard people say, "I was more liberal when I was younger but now I'm conservative."

I am one of the exceptions to that rule. I used to be conservative when I was younger-now I'm a liberal.  :D :D :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Exactly. I used to be a liberal - that is, until I had kids and I became a moderate. I'm sorry, but I cannot give my soul to the Devil by becoming a conservative.  ;) :D ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/12/08 at 7:31 pm

Eternal youth belongs to those whose minds are open to new ideas!

Check for new replies or respond here...