» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: anyone think the polar bears are endangered?

Written By: saver on 06/12/08 at 6:48 pm

Haven't looked into this enough to feel if it's worth supporting..what have you surmised? :-\\

Subject: Re: anyone think the polar bears are endangered?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/12/08 at 7:33 pm

Yes, I surmise they are endangered.  Now, it's time for your pill and your nap, pops!
:D

Written By: saver on 06/12/08 at 11:04 pm

Pills yummy....now next logical question:

Are they worth signing a petition to present to the government to list them as endagered, protecting them from the raveges of global warming that is presumably causing them to fall through the thin ice and drown?......OR is LEO DICAPRIO FULL OF IT?

morrrrrrrrrrre puddddddddddddding pleaseeeeeee!

Written By: Mushroom on 06/13/08 at 7:01 am

Personally, not really.  In reality, they are almost identicle with the Brown Bears that they evolved from just a handfull of years ago (in evolutionary terms).  They are also able to successfully mate with Grizzley Bears.

Other then their molars and coloration, they are little changed from the brown bears they evolved from.  The molars changed about 20k years ago, when they moved into the ice cap regions, and their diet changed from a general omnivore to more of a carnivore.  And as the ice cap receedes further, it is only natural that they would be forced to return to land and either evolve in another way, or have a recession in evolution.

Or if they fail to adapt to their new climate and setting, die off.  That is not me talking, that is Darwin.

As for signing a petition, what are we going to sign it to do?  Stop the earth from continuing it's 35,000 year warming cycle?  Just as the Mega Fauna of the last ice age, the days of the polar bear were numbered when the last Glacial Median started.  They were a more northern species however, so it simply took longer for them to feel any impacts.

Written By: saver on 06/13/08 at 1:36 pm

Personally, not really.  In reality, they are almost identicle with the Brown Bears that they evolved from just a handfull of years ago (in evolutionary terms).  They are also able to successfully mate with Grizzley Bears.

Other then their molars and coloration, they are little changed from the brown bears they evolved from.  The molars changed about 20k years ago, when they moved into the ice cap regions, and their diet changed from a general omnivore to more of a carnivore.  And as the ice cap receedes further, it is only natural that they would be forced to return to land and either evolve in another way, or have a recession in evolution.

Or if they fail to adapt to their new climate and setting, die off.  That is not me talking, that is Darwin.

As for signing a petition, what are we going to sign it to do?  Stop the earth from continuing it's 35,000 year warming cycle?  Just as the Mega Fauna of the last ice age, the days of the polar bear were numbered when the last Glacial Median started.  They were a more northern species however, so it simply took longer for them to feel any impacts.

The more I hear about it, it is about approaching the Bush Administration to put them on an endangered list and have pollutant causing operations held as harming them(the bears) if they were deemed endangered.

I somehow have toi get word out..10 years ago the Clinton administration had a chance to do something then but Mr. Gore never put the word out ..(probably they are not blaming Bush etc.. but they are trying to get funds to address the problem)..I pass on that basis.

Thanks...

Written By: Mushroom on 06/13/08 at 2:04 pm

The more I hear about it, it is about approaching the Bush Administration to put them on an endangered list and have pollutant causing operations held as harming them(the bears) if they were deemed endangered.

But the climate has been warming for 35,000 years.  I am one of a large group that believes in "Global Warming", but that it is a natural cycle.  So you can sign all the petitions you want, destroy all cars and return to a horse and wind powered world, and the planet will still grow warmer.

Such petitions would not have helped Smilodon, the Mammoth, the Mastadon, the Giant Armadillo, or the Giant Sloth.  They would not have returned the large freshwater lake to Death Valley (which dissapeared about 2k years ago), make Israel the fertile region of grapes and fields that it was 3k years ago, or returned the large saltwater marshes that used to cover North-West Africa 10k years ago.

And in another 30-50k years, it is estimated that the climate will reverse again, and we will slip once again into another Ice Age.  Such is the way of nature.  And if you think things are hot now, just wait.  Remember, Polar Ice Caps are an an unusual occurance in the history of this planet.  Through most of the history of the Earth, there have been no ice caps at all. 

Written By: saver on 06/13/08 at 7:22 pm

But the climate has been warming for 35,000 years.  I am one of a large group that believes in "Global Warming", but that it is a natural cycle.  So you can sign all the petitions you want, destroy all cars and return to a horse and wind powered world, and the planet will still grow warmer.

Such petitions would not have helped Smilodon, the Mammoth, the Mastadon, the Giant Armadillo, or the Giant Sloth.  They would not have returned the large freshwater lake to Death Valley (which dissapeared about 2k years ago), make Israel the fertile region of grapes and fields that it was 3k years ago, or returned the large saltwater marshes that used to cover North-West Africa 10k years ago.

And in another 30-50k years, it is estimated that the climate will reverse again, and we will slip once again into another Ice Age.  Such is the way of nature.  And if you think things are hot now, just wait.  Remember, Polar Ice Caps are an an unusual occurance in the history of this planet.  Through most of the history of the Earth, there have been no ice caps at all. 

They worded the quest for their donations as to help make people aware of the extinction of polar bears if they aren't considered endangered and bring up the fish and wildlife orgs. ...I'll have to hear their input after I have submitted the previous comment that they can adapt etc...
They are tying in global warming  from big oil and big coal....I suggested they missed the boat not going after Mr. Gore while he collects Oscars and nobel Prizes. AND STILL he permits more coal plants being built in Wyoming. Anywhere but CA..who uses Arizona for 1/4 of their electric.    Along with the other eco-frauds. 

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 06/13/08 at 7:37 pm

Pills yummy....now next logical question:

Are they worth signing a petition to present to the government to list them as endagered, protecting them from the raveges of global warming that is presumably causing them to fall through the thin ice and drown?......OR is LEO DICAPRIO FULL OF IT?

morrrrrrrrrrre puddddddddddddding pleaseeeeeee!

While you're at it you can boycott KFC because Pamela Anderson is getting a mondo paycheck to tell you too.  Yes, Polar Bears are endangered however Leo's pay to whine isn't going to help.

*feeds saver a few spoonfuls of rice pudding*

Written By: saver on 06/13/08 at 11:51 pm

While you're at it you can boycott KFC because Pamela Anderson is getting a mondo paycheck to tell you too.  Yes, Polar Bears are endangered however Leo's pay to whine isn't going to help.

*feeds saver a few spoonfuls of rice pudding*

You may 'call' them endangered but this org. is trying to get them officially on the list, hold meetings to discuss why and get word out of the global warming issue that is causing this...
I passed. But that's his latest campaign.

Actually, here's a new one I found he's promoting..the eco-friendly town of Greensberg, Kansas.
Tornado wiped out whole town and they rebuilt it eco-friendly.

Now, are we to treat this endeavor as a GOOD GOING or compare it to the towns that get flooded and they rebuild-only to get flooded again?

I know, What are the odds that the town will get wiped out again? So maybe he's on to something there?

Written By: Mushroom on 06/13/08 at 11:59 pm

They worded the quest for their donations as to help make people aware of the extinction of polar bears if they aren't considered endangered and bring up the fish and wildlife orgs.

Extinction is natural, and happens to everything.  In fact, I am fully aware that someday even Homo Sapiens will become extinct.  Fare more life forms have become extinct then live today.

And as stated before, a great example of that is the Pleistocene Megafauna.  Over 99% of it is no longer with us.  About the only examples left today are Elephants, Rinocerous, and Ostrich.  And even those are the groups that lived in the hotter areas of the world at the time.  All of those that lived in the cooler regions became extinct (North America, Europe, Asia).

Darwin proved that Evolution does not care what happens to an animal if it's environment changes.  It either adapts, or it dies.  And the ice caps will totally dissapear.  That is a simple fact.  So in the end, what will that money spent "saving the polar bear" accomplish?

Damned little.  And genetically, it is little different from the Brown Bear it evolved from about 200k years ago, during the height of the last Ice Age.

And I would bet that in a few score thousand years, when we enter another Ice Age, a creature very simmilar will return.  This has happened in the case of Smilidon.  "Sabre Tooth" cats and dogs have appeared and dissapeared many times during the evolution of mammals.  And I have little doubt it will happen again.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/14/08 at 12:25 am

Extinction is natural, and happens to everything.  In fact, I am fully aware that someday even Homo Sapiens will become extinct.  Fare more life forms have become extinct then live today.

And as stated before, a great example of that is the Pleistocene Megafauna.  Over 99% of it is no longer with us.  About the only examples left today are Elephants, Rinocerous, and Ostrich.  And even those are the groups that lived in the hotter areas of the world at the time.  All of those that lived in the cooler regions became extinct (North America, Europe, Asia).

Darwin proved that Evolution does not care what happens to an animal if it's environment changes.  It either adapts, or it dies.  And the ice caps will totally dissapear.  That is a simple fact.  So in the end, what will that money spent "saving the polar bear" accomplish?

Damned little.  And genetically, it is little different from the Brown Bear it evolved from about 200k years ago, during the height of the last Ice Age.

And I would bet that in a few score thousand years, when we enter another Ice Age, a creature very simmilar will return.  This has happened in the case of Smilidon.  "Sabre Tooth" cats and dogs have appeared and dissapeared many times during the evolution of mammals.  And I have little doubt it will happen again.

Yeah, but the the accepted science will be in 2020 much as the preponderance of the evidence shows today that man is the first species to ever speed up the process.  You don't like Old Earth black magic science? The Old Testament tells us it's our God-given duty to look after the land, the world."  It's gonna be like what happens when pop gets home early before you can clean up all the beer cans!
Yeah, yeah, I'm God, I'm the man, I'm everything...now you guys trashed my house, and told you to look after the joint.  So yer outta here!"
It's like the Garden of Eden.  Man gets kicked out for mucking up the deal because he can't keep his appetites in check. And he's gonna get it now because he effed up the place.  God is saying, "The house?  That was yours, it's in the papers.  The plot of land is mine. 
In 90 million years the world you know will be subluxed under a mile of molten lava, but I'll have to bulldoze the last of your house a long time before that! You know, I never liked the old place much anyway!"

Written By: saver on 06/14/08 at 5:09 am

Yeah, but the the accepted science will be in 2020 much as the preponderance of the evidence shows today that man is the first species to ever speed up the process.  You don't like Old Earth black magic science? The Old Testament tells us it's our God-given duty to look after the land, the world."  It's gonna be like what happens when pop gets home early before you can clean up all the beer cans!
Yeah, yeah, I'm God, I'm the man, I'm everything...now you guys trashed my house, and told you to look after the joint.  So yer outta here!"
It's like the Garden of Eden.  Man gets kicked out for mucking up the deal because he can't keep his appetites in check. And he's gonna get it now because he effed up the place.  God is saying, "The house?  That was yours, it's in the papers.  The plot of land is mine. 
In 90 million years the world you know will be subluxed under a mile of molten lava, but I'll have to bulldoze the last of your house a long time before that! You know, I never liked the old place much anyway!"

Simply put, we're all just gnats on the back of a living, breathing piece of something, if it gets too hot, it'll roll over, if it doesn't like a spot we hit while digging, it'll shake (us off),...ecologists are just keeping the color job going and trimming the hairs or replanting new ones.

Another random thought: If dinosaurs were so large and ruled 'the Earth', how long would it have taken them just to trot from what is the coast of California to the coast of NY...or even walk it around the world a few times....or were they just confined to the mountainous or open green lands?
Maybe OG was worried back then about campaigning to saving some of them dinosaurs so the caveclan could still have pets or use for food...but whahoppen?-They were dying off too fast, probably from that new invention smoke from the fires the were living off of. ....just riffing a little here.....

Check for new replies or respond here...