» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Plastic bottles bad for environment..it will trickle down......

Written By: saver on 06/23/08 at 12:28 am

Okay, THEY FINALLY realized the massive plastic water bottles are bad to the environment, $16 BILLION industry,...If we cut the use and slow up the production, what will the garbage pickers do where they usually have 3 trash bag fulls of used plastic to get their money for the day...

You mean, THEY MAY HAVE TO GET JOBS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let them collect for their pay, that's fine,(not against that), I'm asking WHAT will they find to do to get the money they were probably used to getting....or maybe we'll start to see more reverting to begging in fromt of stores again?

I thought a long time ago, if they aren't beyond digging in trash, why hasn't a group ever formed to take a busload of them to various 'dump' sites to pick out the plastic bottles they dump in those big ravines? That's workable...

Subject: Re: Plastic bottles bad for environment..it will trickle down......

Written By: thereshegoes on 06/23/08 at 10:53 am

Your mind...it amazes me :o

Written By: Tia on 06/23/08 at 10:58 am

lol. garbagemen are to blame for plastic bottles, didn't ya hear? ;D

Written By: saver on 06/23/08 at 1:21 pm

Ever hear Adam Carolla, I just say what comes to mind and it does spark discussion...(some of his rants turn into -turning left on red arrow when no cars are coming to keep the traffic from backing up...some try it ..but IT'S still illegal)...I am thinking how to put the workless to work....any better way?..coz it's not working the way the way it is now.

(Except, the Employment Devlopement Dept. plugged up a much needed hole by giving jobs to slackers who like 1. to listen to IPOD all day, 2.Don't like working in an office with a boss to answer 3. Don't want a dress code)
THEY GIVE THEM SIGNS TO HOLD ADVERTISING NEW APARTMENT OPENINGS or DRESSING LIKE A SUB SANDWICH TO WAVE AT CARS!

It's called thinking 'outside the box', many may find it strange until they put it to use and it wins them over.
So I smile ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/23/08 at 5:12 pm

Too rich for my blood, I'm a simple man!
:D

Written By: ladybug316 on 06/23/08 at 6:52 pm

Not everyone collecting bottles is unemployed, some unfortunate people actually subsidize their income that way.

When I was in high school I worked at Shoprite and my boyfriend worked the bottle return machines.  A man named Wendell, along with his wife and 2 kids would spend weekends scouring the parks of Staten Island to dig through trash and pick up after other inconsiderate litter-pigs.  Three years later, they were finally able to afford braces for the eldest son.  You see, both parents were working class people without dental insurance.

I'm thankful that my teeth are straight and I have the luxury of just throwing my cans in the recycle bin, as I'm too lazy to lug them all back for the deposit.   

Written By: thereshegoes on 06/24/08 at 9:57 am

Ever hear Adam Carolla, I just say what comes to mind and it does spark discussion...(some of his rants turn into -turning left on red arrow when no cars are coming to keep the traffic from backing up...some try it ..but IT'S still illegal)...I am thinking how to put the workless to work....any better way?..coz it's not working the way the way it is now.

(Except, the Employment Devlopement Dept. plugged up a much needed hole by giving jobs to slackers who like 1. to listen to IPOD all day, 2.Don't like working in an office with a boss to answer 3. Don't want a dress code)
THEY GIVE THEM SIGNS TO HOLD ADVERTISING NEW APARTMENT OPENINGS or DRESSING LIKE A SUB SANDWICH TO WAVE AT CARS!

It's called thinking 'outside the box', many may find it strange until they put it to use and it wins them over.
So I smile ;D

Ah you see it like that... For someone so close minded your "thinking ouside the box" is a bit bogus ::)

Written By: Jessica on 06/24/08 at 3:46 pm

Not in a good way, I'm sure. ;D

Not everyone collecting bottles is unemployed, some unfortunate people actually subsidize their income that way.   

My sister collects bottles and cans so she can have a bit of extra spending money while she is in school.

Written By: saver on 06/24/08 at 5:41 pm

Ah you see it like that... For someone so close minded your "thinking ouside the box" is a bit bogus ::)

How long had people come up with excuses for not working, we all had to subsidize them through state and governemnt programs, then....SOMEONE THOUGHT OUTSIDE OF THE BOX(of which we talk), And said, hand the un/low educated and/or the lazy, a sign and let them get paid for standing on a corner spinning or waving people on to a sale etc! Another innovative idea was hire LINE STANDERS to wait in line for people who are too busy with their work or errands and they get paid to buy tickets for the more fortuate..I see that perfectly fitting 'thinking outside of the box'!

Written By: Macphisto on 06/25/08 at 6:40 pm

I'm not sure what the point of this thread was, but...  Recycling is a good thing.  If you don't believe me, look at how much Japan has saved through their recycling programs.

Written By: La Roche on 06/25/08 at 11:50 pm

I'm not sure what the point of this thread was, but...  Recycling is a good thing.  If you don't believe me, look at how much Japan has saved through their recycling programs.

I'm trying to work out the point as well.

As per usual.. it's a bit of a reach..but...

I think what our..errr... friend... here is trying to say is something along the lines of "Why don't the unemployed get jobs, we're subsidizing them to collect plastic bottles." - Whilst somewhat misguided I suppose I could try and parlay this on to more standard gauge rails.

I do often wonder why unemployment checks are simply handed out. As a 'colleague' (not friend!) of mine has pointed out. As long as he makes decent money for 9 months of the year, he can take a 3 month vacation and collect $9,000 in unemployment. Now granted, whilst that may not be a huge amount it certainly pays the bills and basically allows him to loaf around doing nothing for 3 months.

I've often advocated work programs for unemployment. Cleaning graffiti, picking up trash (RECYCLING!), planting trees and shrubs and taking care of public amenities. I'm not advocating chain gangs or asphalt layers, just 4-5 hours per day of what essentially amounts to community service. If you're claiming unemployment, whether you like it or not, you're taking out of society, why not put something in to society. If these jobs don't appeal to you then it's a simple matter of fact that places such as Burger King, McDonalds and Hardees are always hiring. This is not a myth, go to your nearest Burger King, 9/10 will have a sign advertising job positions. It's a simply matter of responsibility. If you're taking out, you ought to put in. Hell, make it a 20 hour week, that way there's still plenty of time to search for a more fulfilling job.

Written By: Don Carlos on 06/26/08 at 10:27 am

Yes, well consider the originator.  But to ignore the slams on bottle collectors, I do think it is totally absurd that people spend so much on bottled water.  If this were Mexico I might understand it -Moctezuma's revenge and all that- but our tape water is drinkable so why buy what you can get for free?  There should at least be deposits on the bottles - on all bottles.

Written By: Macphisto on 06/26/08 at 4:48 pm

Yes, well consider the originator.  But to ignore the slams on bottle collectors, I do think it is totally absurd that people spend so much on bottled water.  If this were Mexico I might understand it -Moctezuma's revenge and all that- but our tape water is drinkable so why buy what you can get for free?  There should at least be deposits on the bottles - on all bottles.

Fair point...  I think it makes a lot more sense to just buy those Brita filters.  They are much more economical than buying bottled water, and they actually do produce water that tastes significantly better than straight from the tap.

Written By: Don Carlos on 06/27/08 at 10:38 am

Fair point...  I think it makes a lot more sense to just buy those Brita filters.  They are much more economical than buying bottled water, and they actually do produce water that tastes significantly better than straight from the tap.

We use them all the time, and do have water jugs that we refill for trips etc.

Written By: Jessica on 06/27/08 at 11:03 am

Our tap water is pretty foul (hello, Lake Michigan!), but our refrigerator has a filter for water built in, so it's all good.  We buy the reusable plastic bottles so we can carry water with us when we go out.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 06/27/08 at 1:50 pm

I drink lakewater all the time.  Nothing like a mouthful of protists to get you going in the morning :D

Check for new replies or respond here...