» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Don Imus draws fire again for racial comments

Written By: Brian06 on 06/24/08 at 2:17 am

I don't know how this guy got another job, what a damn racist.  8-P  ::)

During an on-air conversation Monday about the arrests of suspended Dallas Cowboys cornerback Adam Jones, Imus asked, "What color is he?"

Told by sports announcer Warner Wolf that Jones, who used to be nicknamed Pacman, is "African-American," Imus responded: "There you go. Now we know."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080624/ap_on_en_ot/imus_race_comment

Subject: Re: Don Imus draws fire again for racial comments

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/24/08 at 8:58 am

As the folks back home used to say, what do you expect from a pig but a grunt?
::)

Imus later clarified, "I meant that he was being picked on because he's black."

Sure, Don!

Written By: Macphisto on 06/24/08 at 5:01 pm

If you read the whole story, Imus was actually suggesting that Jones was being harassed by police because he's black.  The Al Sharpton types were ready to spin it as if he had made another racist remark though.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/24/08 at 9:03 pm

If you read the whole story, Imus was actually suggesting that Jones was being harassed by police because he's black.  The Al Sharpton types were ready to spin it as if he had made another racist remark though.

I don't buy it.

Written By: Macphisto on 06/24/08 at 11:32 pm

I don't buy it.

You can listen to the whole broadcast or read the transcript.  He talks about how black people get profiled a lot by the police, which leads to more harassment.  I'm not saying he's that great of a guy, but this is a case where the calls for racism are ridiculous.

Written By: Red Ant on 06/25/08 at 12:36 am

"I find the inference of his remark disturbing because it plays into stereotypes," Sharpton said in a statement. 'We will determine in the next day or so whether or not his remark warrants direct action on our part.'"

Maybe he can call in an air strike...

Anyone who has been arrested six times in three years (if that is a fact) is not exactly a model citizen, regardless of color/race/creed/nationaility/sexual orientation/gender/age/political persuasian or any other 'group' of people I may have missed. It's irrelevant but I thought I'd include it.

"African American" is not a color.

Al Sharpton ought to be helping black youths instead of blasting old white people he knows are racist. Soulja Boy, a 'role model', calls Ice-T a "nig***" like 80 times in seven minutes and... nothing.

*Cue tumbleweeds, crickets and the sound of paint drying*

But it's apparently cool because they are both black. Dissing your own race, regardless of the levels of idiocy displayed, is okay.

*Cue double standard fog machine*

Go Obama!

Ant

Written By: Tia on 06/25/08 at 8:20 am

"I find the inference of his remark disturbing because it plays into stereotypes," Sharpton said in a statement. 'We will determine in the next day or so whether or not his remark warrants direct action on our part.'"

Anyone who has been arrested six times in three years (if that is a fact) is not exactly a model citizen, regardless of color/race/creed/nationaility/sexual orientation/gender/age/political persuasian or any other 'group' of people I may have missed. It's irrelevant but I thought I'd include it.

Al Sharpton ought to be helping black youths instead of blasting old white people he knows are racist. Soulja Boy, a 'role model', calls Ice-T a "nig***" like 80 times in seven minutes and... nothing.

But it's apparently cool because they are both black. Dissing your own race, regardless of the levels of idiocy displayed, is okay.

Go Obama!

Ant
i always find it befuddling when people try to assert that black people using the N-word is the same as white people using the N-word. is that truly what you believe?

and that said, i actually buy imus's excuse this time. as an actual slur, it makes no sense. he's nicknamed pac-man because he's black? it's actually nonsensical in any case. maybe i'm not getting enough context. actually, to be frank, i've never cared much about don imus one way or the other.

Written By: Red Ant on 06/25/08 at 9:33 am

i always find it befuddling when people try to assert that black people using the N-word is the same as white people using the N-word. is that truly what you believe?

and that said, i actually buy imus's excuse this time. as an actual slur, it makes no sense. he's nicknamed pac-man because he's black? it's actually nonsensical in any case. maybe i'm not getting enough context. actually, to be frank, i've never cared much about don imus one way or the other.

I wasn't attempting to assert that there is or should be equality across ethnic groups in using the n word. Imus didn't say that word last time, and he didn't say it this time (though it's reported that he has said it numerous times off air). The point that I was attempting to make is that going after Imus is done because he's an easy target, one that will get media coverage. It's much easier to go after someone who is already a target than to address a role model (or a Joe Nobody - if Joe N. in BF, Iowa makes a racist comment, and he's not popular or well known, does anyone comment about it?).

What if Imus had quoted, on air, the transcript of the Soulja Boy/Ice-T spat? That might have produced some interesting results.

Imus wasn't commenting on Pacman's nickname*; his comments came after he was told Pacman had been arrested six times since 2005.

*While I was in Florida this week, I heard a DJ (presumably white) on the radio ask a question to the effect of "Why do black people give their kids weird names?". I thought it was an ignorant thing to ask, personally. Where's the news story on this? The outrage?

I could really care less about Imus either - I've never watched the show for more than a few minutes here and there.

Ant

Written By: Brian06 on 06/25/08 at 1:18 pm

Go Obama!

Ant

That is true, I honestly can't stand racism from wherever it comes from. And there's definitely no excuse for Soulja Boy saying n----- every 2 seconds... Imus probably was just being sarcastic here though with the guys history it's certainly not surprising there would be some controversy about the comment.

Written By: Macphisto on 06/25/08 at 6:31 pm

It's what I believe.  I believe it's insane that certain black people make such a big deal out of n****r.  I mean, it's sad that I even have to bleep it out.

I think George Carlin was right about obscenities.  A word shouldn't have that kind of power over someone, and the people that do let words affect them that much are fools.

Now, I realize that there's a historical context for the word n****r, but people need to get over it.  We're on the brink of electing a black man as president, so times have clearly changed.  We must be even-handed in the usage of words like n****r.  If it's ok for blacks to say it, it should be ok for whites to say it.  If it's not ok for whites to say it, then it's not ok for blacks to say it.

THAT is the true essence of equality.  Equal treatment regardless of race.

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/25/08 at 7:52 pm

It's what I believe.  I believe it's insane that certain black people make such a big deal out of n****r.  I mean, it's sad that I even have to bleep it out.

I think George Carlin was right about obscenities.  A word shouldn't have that kind of power over someone, and the people that do let words affect them that much are fools.

Now, I realize that there's a historical context for the word n****r, but people need to get over it.  We're on the brink of electing a black man as president, so times have clearly changed.  We must be even-handed in the usage of words like n****r.  If it's ok for blacks to say it, it should be ok for whites to say it.  If it's not ok for whites to say it, then it's not ok for blacks to say it.

THAT is the true essence of equality.  Equal treatment regardless of race.

N-word-o-phobia has gotten Waaaaaaaaaaaay out of control.  I mean, nowadays when "Blazing Saddles" is played on TV, they bleep out all the N-words and the movie means nothing.  Holy crap, it was a satire that made the racist use of the n-word (as well as other stereotypical things) look ridiculous.  It was not done to be racist or offensive in any way whatsoever.

All this said, if somebody wants to ban the use of the N-word then it has to be banned (so to speak) for people of ALL races.  Otherwise, even if preeteen white boys in suburbia do not hear Donny Osmond singing the word, they'll pick it up whilst listening to Sister Soulja anyway, and the cat is out of the bag.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/25/08 at 8:53 pm

Maybe it's time for Imus to retire.  Even giving him the benefit of the doubt, it has not been polite for forty years to ask "what color" a person is. 

Frankly, I don't give a damn what Imus says because I don't listen to him.  I don't listen to him because he sux. 
::)

Written By: Macphisto on 06/25/08 at 9:08 pm

N-word-o-phobia has gotten Waaaaaaaaaaaay out of control.  I mean, nowadays when "Blazing Saddles" is played on TV, they bleep out all the N-words and the movie means nothing.  Holy crap, it was a satire that made the racist use of the n-word (as well as other stereotypical things) look ridiculous.  It was not done to be racist or offensive in any way whatsoever.

All this said, if somebody wants to ban the use of the N-word then it has to be banned (so to speak) for people of ALL races.  Otherwise, even if preeteen white boys in suburbia do not hear Donny Osmond singing the word, they'll pick it up whilst listening to Sister Soulja anyway, and the cat is out of the bag.

100% agreed

Written By: La Roche on 06/25/08 at 11:43 pm

A) Pacman is scum, I'd have no issue seeing him swing.

B) Come On! Anybody with an ounce of rational thought could work out what Imus was saying. I'm not his biggest fan (always thought Howard Stern was much funnier) but it was blatantly obvious what he was commenting on.

Why do you think there is no open discourse on race in this country? Because as soon as somebody says anything even remotely relating to race, they're dragged over the coals and the witch hunt begins.

As for the 'Soulja Boy' nonsense. Firstly - It's crap, just some brain-damaged smeg pot going on about some nonsensical bollocks and secondly, isn't there supposed to be some sort of hidden message? Hey guess what, DRI had a hidden message as well, but it's not like anybody cares.

Written By: Red Ant on 06/25/08 at 11:54 pm

Why do you think there is no open discourse on race in this country? Because as soon as somebody says anything even remotely relating to race, they're dragged over the coals and the witch hunt begins.

Agreed, and karma.

As for the 'Soulja Boy' nonsense. Firstly - It's crap, just some brain-damaged smeg pot going on about some nonsensical bollocks ...

I agree there as well, but as much as I detest Soulja Boy for his crappy "music", he is more than a flash in the pan and people are hearing his words. At least Kat Williams is funny when he does a similar thing...

Ant

Written By: La Roche on 06/25/08 at 11:56 pm

Agreed, and karma.

I agree there as well, but as much as I detest Soulja Boy for his crappy "music", he is more than a flash in the pan and people are hearing his words. At least Kat Williams is funny when he does a similar thing...

Ant

Is he?

Has he released another 'anthem' or something? Honestly, I haven't heard anything else from him after that first annoying attempt. He's cranking something, which indicates that he needs to invest in a new motorcycle with an automatic start.. if you ask me.

Written By: Red Ant on 06/26/08 at 12:07 am

Is he?

Has he released another 'anthem' or something? Honestly, I haven't heard anything else from him after that first annoying attempt. He's cranking something, which indicates that he needs to invest in a new motorcycle with an automatic start.. if you ask me.

I think music would be better if Soulja Boy were run over by a motorcycle (a fully loaded Honda Goldwing), twice, but I also think dismissing his impact (from his words, not a motorcyle) is perhaps wishful thinking. Crank Dat has, inexplicably, been the top of the charts at Soundclick for over a year, and 100 million+ YouTube views for the "Crank dat" videos is not an insignificant amount.

Ant

Written By: La Roche on 06/26/08 at 12:10 am

I think music would be better if Soulja Boy were run over by a motorcycle (a fully loaded Honda Goldwing), twice, but I also think dismissing his impact (from his words, not a motorcyle) is perhaps wishful thinking. Crank Dat has, inexplicably, been the top of the charts at Soundclick for over a year, and 100 million+ YouTube views for the "Crank dat" videos is not an insignificant amount.

Ant

Just goes to show how funding for education has dropped year after year under our current administration.

I'm sure he's had a huge effect, as did the last flash in the pan and the flash in the pan before that. After all, it was only a few years ago that Nelly was huge, now I'm not even sure people in Bellafontaine (move to Saint Louis) would know who he was.

Check for new replies or respond here...