» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: BOYCOTT VIACOM AND YOUTUBE NOW!

Written By: MrCleveland on 07/03/08 at 4:16 pm

Why is this on the P&R Thread? Because the Supreme Court has accepted Viacom to view everything on YouTube because of Copyright Infringement.

I don't care much about the wire-tapping (because Bush's phone is bugged too) but now it seems that Viacom is part of it.

IT HAS TO STOP!!! >:(

Subject: Re: BOYCOTT VIACOM AND YOUTUBE NOW!

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 07/03/08 at 5:08 pm

You tube is a big target because it is mainstream.  Perhaps it is copyright infringement, however with the internet being the way that it is I don't think it can be stopped.  The area of Internet Law is just now starting to become a legitimate form of law practice.  Brace yourself, it's only begun.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/03/08 at 5:14 pm

The end-goal is monolithic corporate control of thought via Big Brother.
::)

Can't happen here you say?

Written By: Foo Bar on 07/03/08 at 10:06 pm

The really depressing thing is that the Google data set of the IP address, cookie, and (if provided) account ID of everyone who ever viewed any YouTube video...

...is worth at least ten times as much, in terms of marketing value, than the data returned by every Neilsen family.  Viacom pays millions for that data, and doesn't get much out of it other than the realization that the median age of the TV viewer is now over 50. 

This is the kind of data that Viacom would ordinarily be willing to pay hundreds of millions of dollars for.  It's a veritable goldmine of competitive intelligence on Viacom's properties, their competitors' properties, and which independent directors/producers are most likely to be worth hiring before someone working for the competition hires them.

And the judge completely failed to grasp that the competitive intelligence value of that data set is so high that once Viacom gets their hands on it, Viacom doesn't even have to care about winning or losing the copyright case.  Even if Viacom loses the case, they'll have already gotten a data set worth more than anything they'd have hoped to have won in a settlement.

Written By: Step-chan on 07/04/08 at 4:25 pm

I have a feeling that if this sort of thing keeps up, Youtube will become a dead site.  ::)

I mean, come on...

Viacom, you ruined MTV!!! Music videos used to play on there! Now you're lucky if you see any!

What did they expect to happen?

Naturally people are going to upload music videos on there, especially since MTV turned into a **** channel.

Written By: whistledog on 07/04/08 at 4:55 pm

If not YouTube, then some other video channel.  There are lots out there, maybe not as easily accessible and easy to use as YouTube, but they are there, and you can always find videos of some sort. 

They can police the internet and shut down these video sites, but more will just keep popping up.  MTV and other music channels won't air music videos, so we rely on the internet, and if that stops us, we just keep on trying

Written By: Don Carlos on 07/04/08 at 6:01 pm

Why is this on the P&R Thread? Because the Supreme Court has accepted Viacom to view everything on YouTube because of Copyright Infringement.

I don't care much about the wire-tapping (because Bush's phone is bugged too) but now it seems that Viacom is part of it.

IT HAS TO STOP!!! >:(

Wait.  Maybe I'm confused, but it seems like you are saying that there was a Supreme Court case about whether Viacom could look at YouTube, or did I miss something?  I never heard that there was such a case.  And why would there be?  YouTube is a free public access site as I understand it, so can't ANYONE view everything on YouTube?  Cat sure looks at a truckload of....shi...stuff every day.  If its in the public domain, anyone can use it.  If Viacom or any other firm can make hay out of viewer preferences, let them.  If "Far Left Commodities, Inc" can make hay out of my posts here, I might ask for royalties, but that is a bit different.

"Paranoia runs deep,  Into your lives it will creep,  It stars when you'r always afraid,  The man come and take you away...."
The Buffalo Springfield, "For What Its Worth". 

Written By: Foo Bar on 07/05/08 at 6:01 pm

Wait.  Maybe I'm confused, but it seems like you are saying that there was a Supreme Court case about whether Viacom could look at YouTube, or did I miss something? 

Yeah, you missed something.  The story went something like this:

Google:  (Buys YouTube.)
Users:  (Upload videos to YouTube)
Viacom:  "Hey, Google, some of our copyrighted stuff's on there.  By DMCA, we demand that you pull video #521234"
Google:  "OK, we pulled video #521234"
Viacom:  "And #521235, 6, 7, 8... hey, there's a lot of copyrighted stuff up there!"
Google:  "So?  You want it taken down, write us a DMCA complaint.  That's how the law works."
Viacom:  "But we want all of our stuff off your network!"
Google:  "And so would we, but we've got so many users and videos that we can't screen them all."
Viacom:  "Hey, Judge!  You hear that?  They're turning a blind eye to it!  It's contributory copyright infringement, just like those Napster dudes!"
Judge:  "Well?"
Google:  "We're not turning a blind eye to it.  We're doing what the law tells us to do."
Viacom:  "Yeah, but 99% of the stuff on your site's copyrighted by someone!  The public domain stuff's just a fig leaf to give you some immunity."
Google:  "Prove it."
Viacom:  "Hey, Judge!  We can't prove it.  Not without Google's logs.  Google keeps track of everything all their users ever view or upload."
Google:  "That's confidential/proprietary information.  That's the only part of our business that makes us money.  You think we pay the bandwidth charges to transmit all that content out of the goodness of our hearts or something?"
Judge:  "Probably not.  But the Viacom landshark has a point.  Your logs could prove whether or not the bulk of your content is copyrighted or public-domain."
Viacom:  "Gimmegimmegimme!"
Google: "Couldn't we hand it over to a third-party expert for analysis?"
Judge:  "No.  Hand it over to the drooling Viacom landshark over there.  He's messing up my carpet."
Google:  "WTF?  We're supposed to trust him with the crown jewels?"
Judge:  "Yeah.  Hand it over."

The moral of the story is that if you don't want to allow anyone else to violate your users' privacy, don't log the data in the first place, and anonymize the data you do log as soon as practical.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/06/08 at 4:08 pm

Yeah, you missed something.  The story went something like this:

Google:  (Buys YouTube.)
Users:  (Upload videos to YouTube)
Viacom:  "Hey, Google, some of our copyrighted stuff's on there.  By DMCA, we demand that you pull video #521234"
Google:  "OK, we pulled video #521234"
Viacom:  "And #521235, 6, 7, 8... hey, there's a lot of copyrighted stuff up there!"
Google:  "So?  You want it taken down, write us a DMCA complaint.  That's how the law works."
Viacom:  "But we want all of our stuff off your network!"
Google:  "And so would we, but we've got so many users and videos that we can't screen them all."
Viacom:  "Hey, Judge!  You hear that?  They're turning a blind eye to it!  It's contributory copyright infringement, just like those Napster dudes!"
Judge:   "Well?"
Google:  "We're not turning a blind eye to it.  We're doing what the law tells us to do."
Viacom:  "Yeah, but 99% of the stuff on your site's copyrighted by someone!  The public domain stuff's just a fig leaf to give you some immunity."
Google:  "Prove it."
Viacom:  "Hey, Judge!  We can't prove it.  Not without Google's logs.  Google keeps track of everything all their users ever view or upload."
Google:  "That's confidential/proprietary information.  That's the only part of our business that makes us money.  You think we pay the bandwidth charges to transmit all that content out of the goodness of our hearts or something?"
Judge:  "Probably not.  But the Viacom landshark has a point.  Your logs could prove whether or not the bulk of your content is copyrighted or public-domain."
Viacom:  "Gimmegimmegimme!"
Google: "Couldn't we hand it over to a third-party expert for analysis?"
Judge:  "No.  Hand it over to the drooling Viacom landshark over there.  He's messing up my carpet."
Google:  "WTF?  We're supposed to trust him with the crown jewels?"
Judge:  "Yeah.  Hand it over."

The moral of the story is that if you don't want to allow anyone else to violate your users' privacy, don't log the data in the first place, and anonymize the data you do log as soon as practical.

;D
Karma for witty dialogue.

I hope they do scan all those terabytes of data and try to sue every single person who ever downloaded a copyrighted video.  Give 'em enough rope....
:D

Written By: greenjello74 on 07/07/08 at 7:22 pm

;D
Karma for witty dialogue.

I hope they do scan all those terabytes of data and try to sue every single person who ever downloaded a copyrighted video.  Give 'em enough rope....
:D

yep even viacom can't have that much money.....
Psst I think theres a camera hidden in mt cable box taking pictures. I gotta get my tin foil hat. :D

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 07/08/08 at 7:57 am

A judge just ordered you tube to hand over information on their users to Viacom.  So now Viacom has every users personal computer info.  They say they're going to be sensitive to users privacy.  Nope sorry, I don't believe them. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/08/08 at 4:15 pm

Even if Youtube goes down the tubes, which I don't think it will, there will be other sites, as Whistledog points out.  On Internet you've got popular demand and a hell of a lot of smart geeks who don't like the bosses telling the NO! If the public wants to upload/download copyrighted material on the 'net, it will.  The corporations will win battles, but the war for them will be ultimately unwinnable if the public wills it so.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 07/09/08 at 11:46 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10LDTLjEPDM

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 07/10/08 at 8:47 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10LDTLjEPDM

Then there's the one with the disturbing male voice saying Viacom. 

Check for new replies or respond here...