» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: In this thread we list all the things John McCain has changed his position on

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/10/08 at 8:01 am

Ok, I guess we're not supposed to point out John McCain's flaws on similar issues when discussing Obama, so in this thread we're going to just list all the positions he's changed his stance on.

McCain said in June 2008: "My principles and my practice and my voting record are very clear. Not only from 2000 but 1998 and 1992 and 1986. And you know, it's kind of a favorite tactical ploy now that opponents use, of saying the person has changed. Look, none of my principles or values have changed. Have I changed position on some specific issues because of changed circumstances? I would hope so! I would hope so!"

Subject: Re: In this thread we list all the things John McCain has changed his position on

Written By: Tia on 07/10/08 at 12:20 pm

such a list is hard to compile since there really isn't an issue mccain hasnt changed his mind on, except maybe the one about staying in iraq until the sun explodes. thus, as the cliche goes, it's hard to know where to begin. he doesn't really claim to be consistent in his positions, instead the republicans rely on his record as a POW and hope to distract by staying on offense against obama.

but here's a sample.

http://www.crooksandliars.com/2008/06/16/mccain-sets-a-new-record-10-flip-flops-in-two-weeks/

"In his eternal quest for the Republican presidential nomination, the supposed maverick John McCain has repeatedly reversed long-held positions and compromised purportedly core principles. From the Bush tax cuts, the religious right and immigration reform to overturning Roe v. Wade, proclaiming Samuel Alito a model Supreme Court Justice and bashing France (just to name a few), McCain changed sides as changing political conditions dictated.

But over the past two weeks, McCain’s rapid fire, acrobatic flip-flops have produced whiplash, at least for voters. 10 times since the beginning of June, McCain has retreated from, upended or just forgotten positions he once claimed as his own. On Social Security, balancing the budget, defense spending, domestic surveillance and a host of other issues so far this month, McCain’s “Straight Talk Express” did a U-turn on the road to the White House.

..."

Subject: Re: In this thread we list all the things John McCain has changed his position on

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/12/08 at 8:10 pm

here's a new one:

McCain slams Obama for missing a vote he also missed

Following Iran’s missile tests this week, Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) slammed Sen. Barack Obama’s (D-IL) position on the Iranian Revolutionary Guard, declaring, “This is the same organization that I voted to condemn as a terrorist organization when an amendment was on the floor of the United States Senate. Senator Obama refused to vote.” CNN’s Political Ticker notes a flaw with McCain’s attack:

The problem with the critique? McCain also missed that vote on the Kyl-Lieberman amendment on September 26, 2007. Records show that Obama was in New Hampshire and McCain was in New York instead of being in the Senate chamber for the vote in question.

Written By: saver on 07/13/08 at 1:08 am

To be 'fair' and aware, you'll  find some of the OBAMA flip-flops on the Obama FLIP FLOP THREAD-OPEN FOR ADDITIONAL CHANGES OF POSITIONS  ;)

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/13/08 at 8:17 am

To be 'fair' and aware, you'll  find some of the OBAMA flip-flops on the Obama FLIP FLOP THREAD-OPEN FOR ADDITIONAL CHANGES OF POSITIONS  ;)

pretty sure that's already mentioned in the beginning of the thread

Written By: saver on 07/13/08 at 3:14 pm

pretty sure that's already mentioned in the beginning of the thread

And on the subject of postions- altho I am for the fairness of admissions, I cannot support McCain at this time if he actually doesn not support the nuclear energy alternatives..no matter WHAT he thinks on the war front....(see, I'm not going by party lines-it's issues for me).

Written By: philbo on 07/15/08 at 5:00 am

Are we really going to have this sort of "yah boo" politics all the way up to the election?

Having said that, this one is apposite:

here's a new one:

McCain slams Obama for missing a vote he also missed

Following Iran’s missile tests this week, Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) slammed Sen. Barack Obama’s (D-IL) position on the Iranian Revolutionary Guard, declaring, “This is the same organization that I voted to condemn as a terrorist organization when an amendment was on the floor of the United States Senate. Senator Obama refused to vote.” CNN’s Political Ticker notes a flaw with McCain’s attack:

The problem with the critique? McCain also missed that vote on the Kyl-Lieberman amendment on September 26, 2007. Records show that Obama was in New Hampshire and McCain was in New York instead of being in the Senate chamber for the vote in question.

...looks like McCain's suffering from "Selective Memory" like Hillary did... "Selective Hillaryesque Invented Transaction" memory, anyone?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/15/08 at 6:17 pm

This week he's saying he knows how to win wars...
???

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/16/08 at 7:37 pm

John McCain is technically not violating the public finance law he passed and criticized Obama for abandoning.  He's just abusing a loop hole in the law he wrote to raise $62 million

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2008/7/16/112835/575/280/543825

so yeah, Obama changed his position... only because McCain's word on the matter was garbage to begin with.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/17/08 at 12:41 am

John McCain is technically not violating the public finance law he passed and criticized Obama for abandoning.  He's just abusing a loop hole in the law he wrote to raise $62 million

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2008/7/16/112835/575/280/543825

so yeah, Obama changed his position... only because McCain's word on the matter was garbage to begin with.

Oh that McCain, he's a sly fox...or at least an impersonation of Don Knotts trying to be a sly fox!
:D

Colbert today had him spouting off last April about how so much of the economic crisis was "psychological."  He told Phil Gramm to stuff it for saying the very same thing last week!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/05/grommit.gif

Written By: Tia on 07/21/08 at 3:34 pm

not actually a flipflop so much as a gaffe, i guess.

http://www.crooksandliars.com/2008/07/21/foreign-policy-expert-mccain-iraq-pakistan-border-extremely-dangerous/

mccain erroneously says there is an iraq-pakistan border. they're actually hundreds of miles apart.

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/21/08 at 6:43 pm

not actually a flipflop so much as a gaffe, i guess.

http://www.crooksandliars.com/2008/07/21/foreign-policy-expert-mccain-iraq-pakistan-border-extremely-dangerous/

mccain erroneously says there is an iraq-pakistan border. they're actually hundreds of miles apart.

this in addition to bringing up Czechoslovakia twice last week.  What's next?  Siam or Prussia?

Subject: Re: In this thread we list all the things John McCain has changed his position o

Written By: Tia on 07/21/08 at 7:13 pm

this in addition to bringing up Czechoslovakia twice last week.  What's next?  Siam or Prussia?
... and next thing, he confuses the Red Button with the nurse buzzer.

sorry, that was unfair. :-[

Subject: Re: In this thread we list all the things John McCain has changed his position o

Written By: Red Ant on 07/22/08 at 12:20 am

... and next thing, he confuses the Red Button with the nurse buzzer.

sorry, that was unfair. :-Land of Confusion was a great video, more relevant now than it was 22 years ago. If Phil only knew that Bush II would make Reagan look positively competent in comparison...

Ant

Written By: philbo on 07/22/08 at 5:20 am

Land of Confusion was a great video, more relevant now than it was 22 years ago. If Phil only knew that Bush II would make Reagan look positively competent in comparison...

Who, me?  Oh.. Collins...

Used to listen to that song a lot, but it's hard to believe that I've never seen the Spitting Image video that goes with it - there are some utterly sublime moments in it.  Thanks for that link, Jack :)

Written By: Tia on 07/22/08 at 5:27 am

Who, me?  Oh.. Collins...

Used to listen to that song a lot, but it's hard to believe that I've never seen the Spitting Image video that goes with it - there are some utterly sublime moments in it.  Thanks for that link, Jack :)
yeah that was a fantastic video, dag. and i thought i'd thought of the red button/nurse button joke but it looks like it's 20 years old.  :( i was gonna try and sell it to the daily show.  :(

Written By: Tia on 07/22/08 at 8:15 am

http://www.crooksandliars.com/2008/07/21/funny-moments-in-live-television-mccain-as-the-joker/

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/23/08 at 7:20 am

how about when CBS changes his statements to cover his mistakes for him?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/07/22/mccain-makes-false-claims_n_114405.html

shameless...

Written By: Tia on 07/23/08 at 8:15 am

i dont even get WHY big media would want to cover for mccain. i mean is getting more of the last eight years really gonna profit CBS et al any more than the rest of us? i just dont get it.

Written By: Tia on 07/23/08 at 12:32 pm

well never mind, i guess.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080723/pl_nm/economy_usa_politics_poll_dc;_ylt=AvzNYJRfooTnTIZ.SWfXs55Z.3QA

Rich People for McCain!

Many economists see McCain better for stocks: poll By Emily Kaiser
1 hour, 46 minutes ago

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. stock market would fare better in the first year after a victory by Republican presidential candidate John McCain than by his Democratic rival Barack Obama, according to a majority of economists at U.S. banks and research groups polled by Reuters.

ADVERTISEMENT

But the survey of 29 firms taken alongside a regular Reuters economic poll also found that economists had mixed views on the two candidates' economic plans.

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/23/08 at 1:47 pm

well never mind, i guess.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080723/pl_nm/economy_usa_politics_poll_dc;_ylt=AvzNYJRfooTnTIZ.SWfXs55Z.3QA

Rich People for McCain!

Many economists see McCain better for stocks: poll By Emily Kaiser
1 hour, 46 minutes ago

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. stock market would fare better in the first year after a victory by Republican presidential candidate John McCain than by his Democratic rival Barack Obama, according to a majority of economists at U.S. banks and research groups polled by Reuters.

ADVERTISEMENT

But the survey of 29 firms taken alongside a regular Reuters economic poll also found that economists had mixed views on the two candidates' economic plans.

considering they've gained more under Bush than other presidents, and John McSame appears to be following Bush's footsteps, it's not a surprise really...

Richest Americans See
Their Income Share Grow

Written By: Tia on 07/23/08 at 2:00 pm

yeah, still, seems like they might be worried about killing the goose that's laying the golden eggs, if you get me.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/23/08 at 8:02 pm

That's the 1% that matters to the GOP apparatus.  The rest of us are just riff-raff to appease until we can ditch this democracy nuisance for good!
::)

McCain might be able to keep the Ponzi scheme going for another 12 or 24 months, but the longer it goes, the more painful the crash.  This is a dangerous game!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/26/08 at 11:51 am

Ok, this one just cracks me up because it just doesn't make any sense. McCain has been saying for ever now that Obama doesn't have any experience. I have heard many people on the right ask, "What has he done?" etc. etc. Now, McCain has a new ad out about the high cost of gas. Well, rather than trying to explain it myself, check it out:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/07/21/new-mccain-ad-obama-to-bl_n_114039.html

As Carlos says, they are grasping at straws. They are trying to turn this campaign very negative (like good Republicans should) and they really don't have anything to go on so they just make sh!t up.

Cat 

Written By: Tia on 07/26/08 at 11:57 am

it's about "drill drill drill." it was pretty funny, when obama was doing his germany speech mccain wanted to go give a speech on an offshore oil rig in the gulf coast to show how safe it was but a hurricane pre-empted him so he ended up doing his lame-o supermarket thing.

http://www.crooksandliars.com/2008/07/25/daily-show-obama-in-berlin-vs-mccain-in-the-supermarket/

(that's one of the top 10 funniest things i've ever seen on the daily show, by the way.)

the only answer the republicans have is drill for more oil, get one last fix. it's literally suicidal.

Written By: Bobby on 07/26/08 at 12:18 pm

it's about "drill drill drill." it was pretty funny, when obama was doing his germany speech mccain wanted to go give a speech on an offshore oil rig in the gulf coast to show how safe it was but a hurricane pre-empted him so he ended up doing his lame-o supermarket thing.

http://www.crooksandliars.com/2008/07/25/daily-show-obama-in-berlin-vs-mccain-in-the-supermarket/

(that's one of the top 10 funniest things i've ever seen on the daily show, by the way.)

the only answer the republicans have is drill for more oil, get one last fix. it's literally suicidal.

That was very funny, lol. I loved that bit where the stuff fell on the floor in the supermarket - I didn't realise the campaigne had reached mockumentary proportions.  ;D

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/26/08 at 3:45 pm

here's another one that's making the rounds

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/07/25/1225053.aspx

MCCAIN: 16 MONTHS A 'GOOD TIMETABLE'

funny... that's not what he was saying a few weeks ago...

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/27/08 at 10:11 pm

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/07/26/AR2008072601891.html

McCain was against off-shore drilling, until the lobbyists offered to funnel a million or so into his campaign

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/04/08 at 7:37 am

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2008/7/3/0717/55880/710/545421

here's a real comprehensive list of all his position changes... heck one of them even changed over the commercial break of the show he was on.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/04/08 at 9:25 pm

it's about "drill drill drill."

Paging Dr. Freud! Paging Dr. Freud!
8)

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/01/08 at 9:31 am

Minimum wage?

http://rawstory.com/rawreplay/?p=1787

he was against it 19 times before he was for it.  boy selling out those hard line positions pretty quickly now

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/01/08 at 11:28 am

How many months have we heard him rail against Obama because of his "lack of experience" and then he picks a complete novice for VP. What the hell was he thinking? Of course we know which "head" he was thinking with.  ::)

Cat

Check for new replies or respond here...