» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Karl Rove Contempt of Congress

Written By: Don Carlos on 07/11/08 at 10:39 am

I'm sure you all heard that Rove refused to testify before the House Judiciary Committee.  Call your congressmen and demand that he be held in contempt.  No one is above the law, not even Bush's Brain.

Subject: Re: Karl Rove Contempt of Congress

Written By: Tia on 07/11/08 at 10:59 am

i dont believe for a second the democrats will do this. they're the biggest tail-between-their-legs cowards who have ever disgraced their offices. at least the republicans have the integrity to be murdering monsters and make no bones about it. i reserve a lower circle of hell for the demos who enable and apologize for them. republicans will never do anything to help america and i understand that, but democrats have the opportunity to help their country and be decent human beings and they refuse. i think that's more disgusting.

sorry, i kinda flew off.

Written By: La Roche on 07/11/08 at 12:59 pm

One word - Pardon.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 07/11/08 at 1:04 pm

The Dems probably won't do anything.  Except for maybe a few who are up for reelection.

Karl Rove is and always will be a pompous ass.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/11/08 at 1:25 pm

One word - Pardon.

I don't believe that the president can LEGALLY pardon anyone from contempt of Congress-but of course since when has the law ever stopped him.

Cat

Written By: La Roche on 07/11/08 at 2:15 pm

I don't believe that the president can LEGALLY pardon anyone from contempt of Congress-but of course since when has the law ever stopped him.

Cat

Yeah, you raise a good point. I'm not sure if that is pardonable, that'd be nice.

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/11/08 at 3:44 pm

you have to be charged with a crime before you can be pardoned.  If Rove is charged, I'm sure he'll be pardoned quickly.

He didn't just refuse to testify, he LEFT THE COUNTRY!

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 07/11/08 at 4:03 pm

you have to be charged with a crime before you can be pardoned.  If Rove is charged, I'm sure he'll be pardoned quickly.

If he's smart he won't come back any time soon.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/11/08 at 4:15 pm

He is probably with Dick Cheney in an "undisclosed location."

Cat

Written By: Foo Bar on 07/12/08 at 2:25 am

One word - Pardon.

Three words - "Sternly Worded Letter".  It won't get to the "pardon" stage, because Congress will never get to the "charges" stage, let alone the "trial" stage.  If either side actually wanted to press the issue, someone might get hurt, and everyone might end up looking bad.  Can't have that. 

As it stands, voters sympathetic to the Elephant wing can grin and thumb their noses as their tribal leaders defy Congress, and in a testosterone-induced chest-thumping rage, vote for Elephant-wing candidates.  Simultaneously, as Sternly-Worded-Letter after Sternly-Worded-Letter is ignored by the Elephants, voters sympathetic to the Jackass wing of the Party can be outraged and vote for more Jackass-wing candidates.  The important thing is that everyone feels good about their respective tribal leaders, and that The Party wins.

It's political kabuki theater; it benefits both the Jackass and Elephant wings of the Party.  Ultimately, kabuki isn't about the story; every detail of the plot - sometimes every line of dialogue - is known by the audience before they enter the theater.  It's not about how the story ends, it's about how well it's performed.

Written By: Don Carlos on 07/12/08 at 10:17 am

He is probably with Dick Cheney in an "undisclosed location."

Cat

I hope they went hunting together. ;)

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 07/13/08 at 1:26 pm

I hope they went hunting together. ;)

I like that mental image!!

Let's hope Cheney's got a real hunting rifle with real bullets.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/14/08 at 1:07 am

Unca Karl's got it made in the shade.  If he repudiates the subpoena, congress will have to refer the matter to the justice dept., and the Bushie's have Justice sewn up, baby!
8)

I say we hunt down Rove and give him a big wedgie instead!

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 07/14/08 at 7:39 am

Unca Karl's got it made in the shade.  If he repudiates the subpoena, congress will have to refer the matter to the justice dept., and the Bushie's have Justice sewn up, baby!
8)

I say we hunt down Rove and give him a big wedgie instead!

Oh yeah, I forgot about his "compassionately conservative" justices.

Don't forget the wet willie.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/15/08 at 6:21 pm

Oh yeah, I forgot about his "compassionately conservative" justices.

Don't forget the wet willie.

And the Indian rope burns (or do we call them Native American rope burns now'days?)
:D

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 07/16/08 at 12:07 pm

And the Indian rope burns (or do we call them Native American rope burns now'days?)

I thought you didn't believe in torture.  Of course it IS Karl. ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/17/08 at 1:10 am

I thought you didn't believe in torture.  Of course it IS Karl. ;D

No, we're not going to torture him, we're just going to swipe his lunch money and give him a swirlie because he IS Karl, the biggest dork in the class!

Yeah, instead of waterboarding, we should give 'em all swirlies...then maybe we could get some of our senators to give themselves swirlies (like we already wish they would) to prove it isn't torture!

Written By: Don Carlos on 07/17/08 at 10:25 am

And now Michael Mukasie(?) the Attorney General is likely to get sited for contempt of Congress over the Valerie Plame case.  'Course they all belong in jail.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 07/17/08 at 11:35 am

And now Michael Mukasie(?) the Attorney General is likely to get sited for contempt of Congress over the Valerie Plame case.  'Course they all belong in jail.

Didn't Dubya just invoke Executive Privilege for some of that stuff?  Just wait till he's out of office.  http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa87/kattofix/smilies/cellsmiley.gif

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/17/08 at 12:43 pm

Didn't Dubya just invoke Executive Privilege for some of that stuff?  Just wait till he's out of office.  http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa87/kattofix/smilies/cellsmiley.gif

I said the same thing this morning when I was reading the paper.

As for Karl, he was on Bill O'Reilly last night-so SOMEBODY knows where he is. The two of them were saying that the Congressional hearings are a dog & pony show.  ::) ::)

I want to see ALL OF THEM behind bars.

Cat

Written By: Macphisto on 07/17/08 at 7:50 pm

Just make him disappear...  it would be a lot easier, and it would scare the hell out of all his cronies.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/17/08 at 10:00 pm

As for Karl, he was on Bill O'Reilly last night-so SOMEBODY knows where he is. The two of them were saying that the Congressional hearings are a dog & pony show.  ::) ::)

Cat

Well, that's always a good start.  The trouble is the second phase where you must keep the azzh()les now in charge from turning into the same azzh()kes you just threw out!  Just ask the Russians or the French for that matter!
::)

Written By: Foo Bar on 07/18/08 at 12:22 am

Well, that's always a good start.  The trouble is the second phase where you must keep the butts now in charge from turning into the same butts you just threw out!  Just ask the Russians or the French for that matter!

Or the Americans.  But didn't the Who have a song about this?  "The Change it had to come, we knew it all along..."

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 07/18/08 at 12:27 am

Cat

So, he's hiding in the Fox News studio.  How appropriate. ::)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/18/08 at 12:28 am

Or the Americans.  But didn't the Who have a song about this?   "The Change it had to come, we knew it all along..."

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

No 'butts" about it!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/18/08 at 8:31 pm

So, he's hiding in the Fox News studio.  How appropriate. ::)

Oh yeah. And LAST night, he was on Hannity & Combs. And then they had to talk about Michelle Obama. After that, Dick Morris came on and made the point that these idiots are NOT TALKING ABOUT THE ISSUES!!!!

Cat

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 07/18/08 at 8:56 pm

Oh yeah. And LAST night, he was on Hannity & Combs. And then they had to talk about Michelle Obama. After that, Dick Morris came on and made the point that these idiots are NOT TALKING ABOUT THE ISSUES!!!!

Cat

Usually I find Dick Morris frustrating to listen to, but he did make a good point there.

Of course, it's in the best interest of the republicans to not talk about the issues this year because if they do the voters will see that McCain is in line behind Bush on almost all of them.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/18/08 at 11:37 pm

Cat

When Dick Morris says you're being a jerk...
:P

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/19/08 at 11:36 am

When Dick Morris says you're being a jerk...
:P

Exactly.

Cat

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 07/19/08 at 2:06 pm

Cat

Pretty Boy Hannity and Karl talking Sh-t about Obama's wife.  That's prioritizing for ya.  Any person of normal intellect would be worried about getting his or her butt kicked by Congress.  Nooo Karl isn't of normal intellect.

Fox doesn't talk about issues, it causes them to feel uncomfortable. ::)

Written By: danootaandme on 07/19/08 at 2:19 pm

Fast talking Rove.  Stephanopoulos put it to him and he stuttered

www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTmIlC1vzwU

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 07/19/08 at 4:06 pm

Fast talking Rove.  Stephanopoulos put it to him and he stuttered

www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTmIlC1vzwU

Good old George. ;D

I love seeing Rove break into a sweat.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/19/08 at 5:32 pm

Good old George. ;D

I love seeing Rove break into a sweat.

Better than him breaking in a rap song.  8-P

Cat

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 07/19/08 at 6:00 pm

Better than him breaking in a rap song.  8-P

Cat

You mean the one he did where he glorifies his ability to torture small animals?  Not only that he proved old white guys can't rap. 8-P

Written By: Macphisto on 07/20/08 at 11:48 am

LOL....  MC Rove...  what a jack@$$...  One thing that's always puzzled me about the Republican party is why they don't kick this guy out.  Any reasonable person would put as much distance between themselves and this guy as possible.  Yet, he ends up getting a spot on Fox News AND he still wields a lot of power in the RNC.  It's like Fox doesn't care anymore about even pretending to have credibility, and the RNC is too caught up in the PNAC crowd to maintain any dignity.

Granted, why the Democrats still keep around Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton is a similarly burning question.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/20/08 at 12:31 pm

LOL....  MC Rove...  what a jack@$$...   One thing that's always puzzled me about the Republican party is why they don't kick this guy out.  Any reasonable person would put as much distance between themselves and this guy as possible.  Yet, he ends up getting a spot on Fox News AND he still wields a lot of power in the RNC.  It's like Fox doesn't care anymore about even pretending to have credibility, and the RNC is too caught up in the PNAC crowd to maintain any dignity.

Granted, why the Democrats still keep around Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton is a similarly burning question.

What do you mean "care ANYMORE??" When did Fox News ever care about credibility?

Unfortunately, Karl Rove is the best thing to happen to the neocons. It was his strategy and his sleazy tactics that got that bumbling idiot we now have to call "President" in a position of power. He is one of the masterminds behind the neocons taking over the government. Unfortunately, he-like all the other neocons have an "R" behind their name. I think many in the Republican Party are going to see that the neocons are NOT Republicans and they are going to distance themselves and the Republican Party is going to splinter-it already is. So, Karl Rove's legacy will be that he split the Party.

Cat 

Written By: Macphisto on 07/20/08 at 1:01 pm

What do you mean "care ANYMORE??" When did Fox News ever care about credibility?

Unfortunately, Karl Rove is the best thing to happen to the neocons. It was his strategy and his sleazy tactics that got that bumbling idiot we now have to call "President" in a position of power. He is one of the masterminds behind the neocons taking over the government. Unfortunately, he-like all the other neocons have an "R" behind their name. I think many in the Republican Party are going to see that the neocons are NOT Republicans and they are going to distance themselves and the Republican Party is going to splinter-it already is. So, Karl Rove's legacy will be that he split the Party.

Cat   

They cared enough to pretend in the past.  They obviously don't now.

I'd say Rove is one of the worst things to happen to the Republicans.  He may be good at winning elections, but I think any true advocate of smaller government would be appalled at how much Rove has grown the size of government and increased the federal debt.  He's really the worst thing to happen to modern TRUE conservatism.  This is why people like Ron Paul get marginalized in the Republican party and why most true conservatives have either gone independent or Libertarian.

It is rather disturbing to discover just how many people who call themselves conservative stand for bigger government than even liberals.  At least liberals generally focus big government on things that benefit the common man more.  War benefits only the military industrial complex.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/20/08 at 1:33 pm

They cared enough to pretend in the past.  They obviously don't now.

I'd say Rove is one of the worst things to happen to the Republicans. 

The jig is up and the tune is changing.  Beneath Rove and all the crookedness are faulty policies.  Now we all have to pay for them.

Written By: Don Carlos on 07/22/08 at 10:53 am

The jig is up and the tune is changing.  Beneath Rove and all the crookedness are faulty policies.  Now we all have to pay for them.

And cleaning up the mess will take years, if not decades. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/22/08 at 7:19 pm

And cleaning up the mess will take years, if not decades. 

I doubt I'll see the end of it in my lifetime.  It has taken 25 years and trillions upon trillions in national debt for the mainstream media to start taking the critics of supply side economics (aka Reaganomics) seriously.  The evidence was clear in 1984 for chrissakes...

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/30/08 at 12:58 pm

CONTEMPT!

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2008/07/30/ap5270573.html

party line vote... how typical of the Republicans to say, nah, failing to show up isn't contempt when he's a Republican

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 07/30/08 at 1:54 pm

CONTEMPT!

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2008/07/30/ap5270573.html

party line vote... how typical of the Republicans to say, nah, failing to show up isn't contempt when he's a Republican

Does any Republican ever receive punishment in this day in age.  If Rove were a Democrat they'd break both of his legs.

Written By: Foo Bar on 07/30/08 at 9:16 pm

And how typical of the Democrats to ask the Department of Justice to enforce a finding of judicial contempt (and to send Sternly Worded Letters, pretending to be shocked - shocked! - when the DoJ decides to ignore it), rather than using the Congressional power of "inherent contempt", wherein the House's Sergeant-at-Arms would be able to enforce it.

That specific decision hasn't been made yet, but just watch; I'll lay 90% odds that it will within a week. 

Much like FISA, it's still just kabuki theater.  The Demopublicans score political points and make the headlines, but they always find a way to make sure that their Republicrat colleagues have a way out.

"Twelve voices were shouting in anger, and they were all alike. No question, now, what had happened to the faces of the pigs. The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which."
- Orwell, Animal Farm

Because Congress is a legislative body, and we're all equal under the law, but some animals are more equal than others.

Written By: MrCleveland on 07/31/08 at 5:20 pm

Cat

Even Condi?

IMO-Rove did screw-up Bush's family. And Bush surrounded himself by 'Yes' Men which is very dangerous. Also War costs money, and I do think it's ludicrous that we're spending big bucks on a small-scale war.

Also, I think Bush came in at the wrong time. He was elected in 2001, and by the end of that year Enron went Bankrupt and the Economy was slowing down. And Halliburton was involved with the First Iraq War.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/01/08 at 12:53 am

Karma +1 for the "yes men" problem. 

This goes all the way back to implenting Milton Friedman's dumbass ideas in the first place.  We'll start with equasion and work out the problem later.  Let's oil men gather together and buy newspapers and seed the university law schools right-wing screwballs and the judiciary with Joe-Friday-on-Angel Dust jurists!  In his desperate stab to secure the GOP presidential nomination in 1980, Daddy Bush called Supply Side Economics "Voodoo Economics."  Not that his family hasn't profited handsomely from V.E.  But he was exactly right: The market shall behave in a prescribed manner because we will it to be so! 

The Soviets had their own "Voodoo Economics" and propped up a failed state for 70 years before it collapsed!

Written By: danootaandme on 08/02/08 at 5:56 am

Even Condi?

Yes

Written By: MrCleveland on 08/02/08 at 1:55 pm

Yes

You should've said 'especially Condi'. You know, as a joke.

Check for new replies or respond here...