» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Today in Holland...

Written By: Henk on 07/11/08 at 5:10 pm

...or something along that line. Bringing you the headlines from my little country. Not sure if I can keep it updated daily.

Here's some headlines from the past few days.

Policewoman shot dead
Thursday 10 July 2008

Source: DutchNews

"The police officer shot dead in Amstelveen on Wednesday night has been identified as 28-year-old Gabriëlle Cevat, news agency ANP said on Thursday. A 49-year-old man from Amsterdam has been arrested in connection with the shooting.

Amsterdam police chief Bernard Welten said her station was extremely shocked by the death and sent his condolences to friends and family. Her partner is also a police officer.

According to ANP, the Cevat was in plain clothes and driving to a police station in Amsterdam Noord for her night shift when she noticed a BMW driving erratically. She alerted her colleagues and drove after the car.

The car stopped in the Piet de Winterlaan in Amstelveen. The police officer got out and identified herself to the driver who shot her once in her upper body. He fled into a nearby house. The three teenagers who were home escaped through a window. Cevat died later in hospital.

The suspect was involved in another incident in Amstelveen earlier in the evening during which shots were fired at a door, ANP reports. The man is reportedly known to the police and has a criminal record for sex and violent crimes.

The shooting is the sixth death of a police officer in active service since 1977 and the first since 2004."

Notice the last line... That's exactly why news like this still makes headlines over here.

And more alarming news:

Uganda tourist dies of Ebola-like fever
Friday 11 July 2008

"AMSTERDAM, Netherlands (AP) — A Dutch woman has died from Marburg fever, a rare Ebola-like virus she is thought to have caught from bats while touring caves in Uganda, hospital officials said Friday.
To avoid an outbreak of the highly contagious disease, health authorities said they have been in touch with everyone known to have had contact with the 40-year-old woman since she returned to the Netherlands at the end of June.

So far, no one else has reported symptoms, said the National Institute for Public Health and Environment.

It is the first known case of a tourist catching Marburg virus. Previous outbreaks of the disease have largely struck African miners and hunters."

Source (and more news): USAToday

Subject: Re: Today in Holland...

Written By: La Roche on 07/11/08 at 5:20 pm

...or something along that line. Bringing you the headlines from my little country. Not sure if I can keep it updated daily.

Here's some headlines from the past few days.

Policewoman shot dead
Thursday 10 July 2008

Source: DutchNews

"The police officer shot dead in Amstelveen on Wednesday night has been identified as 28-year-old Gabriëlle Cevat, news agency ANP said on Thursday. A 49-year-old man from Amsterdam has been arrested in connection with the shooting.

Amsterdam police chief Bernard Welten said her station was extremely shocked by the death and sent his condolences to friends and family. Her partner is also a police officer.

According to ANP, the Cevat was in plain clothes and driving to a police station in Amsterdam Noord for her night shift when she noticed a BMW driving erratically. She alerted her colleagues and drove after the car.

The car stopped in the Piet de Winterlaan in Amstelveen. The police officer got out and identified herself to the driver who shot her once in her upper body. He fled into a nearby house. The three teenagers who were home escaped through a window. Cevat died later in hospital.

The suspect was involved in another incident in Amstelveen earlier in the evening during which shots were fired at a door, ANP reports. The man is reportedly known to the police and has a criminal record for sex and violent crimes.

The shooting is the sixth death of a police officer in active service since 1977 and the first since 2004."

Notice the last line... That's exactly why news like this still makes headlines over here.

And more alarming news:

Uganda tourist dies of Ebola-like fever
Friday 11 July 2008

"AMSTERDAM, Netherlands (AP) — A Dutch woman has died from Marburg fever, a rare Ebola-like virus she is thought to have caught from bats while touring caves in Uganda, hospital officials said Friday.
To avoid an outbreak of the highly contagious disease, health authorities said they have been in touch with everyone known to have had contact with the 40-year-old woman since she returned to the Netherlands at the end of June.

So far, no one else has reported symptoms, said the National Institute for Public Health and Environment.

It is the first known case of a tourist catching Marburg virus. Previous outbreaks of the disease have largely struck African miners and hunters."

Source (and more news): USAToday

You'll be glad to know that whilst reading one of those scientific journals online, I stumbled across an article talking about how one of the key proteins in the Ebola virus has been broken down or some such scientific jargon and scientist sorts are getting very close to working out how it attacks and how to treat it.

Written By: Henk on 07/11/08 at 5:32 pm

You'll be glad to know that whilst reading one of those scientific journals online, I stumbled across an article talking about how one of the key proteins in the Ebola virus has been broken down or some such scientific jargon and scientist sorts are getting very close to working out how it attacks and how to treat it.

That's surely good news for those suffering from Ebola - but this wasn't Ebola. It was Marburg, which is still incurable. I believe there's a 50 to 80% chance you'll die if you're infected.

Besides... Even if they have cracked the code, it doesn't mean they have a cure at hand. Might take years (decades?) more before they find something that's effective.

Anyway, it's too late for the 40-year-old woman... :(

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/11/08 at 7:07 pm

Hell, right next door in Beaver Falls, PA (population 9920 9916, and home of Joe Namath) in the past week and a half, four of our fine citizens have been shot to death.  Year to date we are at five. The suspect in an earlier murder is the brother of one of the recent vics.

At the end of the day, so  to speak, I believe that all of the killings will be found to have been due to squabbles between rival drug dealers.

Written By: ladybug316 on 07/11/08 at 11:22 pm

This is a great idea for a thread, Henk!  I love to know the goings on around the world.  I am shocked that only 6 police officers have been shot since 1977  :o

Written By: Henk on 07/12/08 at 2:08 am

That's surely good news for those suffering from Ebola - but this wasn't Ebola. It was Marburg, which is still incurable. I believe there's a 50 to 80% chance you'll die if you're infected.

According to Wikipedia, the death rate varies from 23 to 90%.

This is a great idea for a thread, Henk!  I love to know the goings on around the world.  I am shocked that only 6 police officers have been shot since 1977  :o

Thanks, Shannon. I will try to keep you up to date.

In the case of the police officer shooting I think it's right to point out that the officer in question did not know who she was confronted with. It is also unclear whether or not the suspect knew he was faced with a police officer. According to bystander reports though, the suspect shot (almost) immediately when pulled over. He was found under the influence of alcohol.
The earlier event he was involved in was one in the relational sphere. As far as I know, no drugs were involved.

Written By: Henk on 07/12/08 at 4:54 pm

Headlines for Saturday 12 July 2008.

12-year-old girl found dead

A 12-year-old girl was found dead today in a house in Arnhem. Her parents found the young girl this afternoon and tried CPR on her, but to no avail. Further details are not yet available. Police are investigating the matter.

Lightning strikes chimney: 100 homes evacuated

100 Homes were evacuated in Amsterdam this morning after lightning had struck a nearby factory chimney.
The chimney did not have a lightning conductor, according to locals, and the factory had been abandonded for years.
After being struck by lightning earlier this week the chimney started to collapse. Fragments had already fallen onto a courtyard, and although nobody was injured in the process, authorities deemed it unsafe and decided to evacuate 100 homes in the proximity.
Today demolition of the chimney has started.

Man goes missing after collision

A man has gone missing after a small polyester vessel collided with a sailing yacht on the river Rhine near Arnhem this afternoon.
The man was one of four people aboard the vessel, three of them children. Two children fell overboard with the man, but could be rescued and remained unharmed. The third child, that didn't fall overboard, got injured. All children were taken to hospital and are recovering well, according to a police spokesman.
Search for the missing man has continued until darkness set in; so far to no avail.

Written By: MrCleveland on 07/12/08 at 6:10 pm

In my neck-of-the-woods, a bank was robbed and an off-duty cop shot him down. And today, someone went to jail for slapping his girlfriend...and it was on my street!

Written By: Henk on 07/14/08 at 12:27 am

12-year-old girl found dead

A 12-year-old girl was found dead today in a house in Arnhem. Her parents found the young girl this afternoon and tried CPR on her, but to no avail. Further details are not yet available. Police are investigating the matter.

First examination of the body and the house show no evidence of violence or a crime, police have stated today.
Needless to say the sudden death of the young girl has shocked the community. The school the girl attended has been opened to public as a place of mourning and gathering.

Written By: ladybug316 on 07/14/08 at 7:04 am

First examination of the body and the house show no evidence of violence or a crime, police have stated today.
Needless to say the sudden death of the young girl has shocked the community. The school the girl attended has been opened to public as a place of mourning and gathering.

Many times in these situations, an undetected heart condition is to blame.  Do you know if they're going to have to (unfortunately) do an autopsy?

Written By: Henk on 07/14/08 at 4:27 pm

Many times in these situations, an undetected heart condition is to blame.  Do you know if they're going to have to (unfortunately) do an autopsy?

There already has been an autopsy, and results ruled out a violent death. I'm not sure if they've found a cause of death - if  they have, it hasn't been made public.

Written By: Henk on 07/14/08 at 4:59 pm

Man goes missing after collision

A man has gone missing after a small polyester vessel collided with a sailing yacht on the river Rhine near Arnhem this afternoon.
The man was one of four people aboard the vessel, three of them children. Two children fell overboard with the man, but could be rescued and remained unharmed. The third child, that didn't fall overboard, got injured. All children were taken to hospital and are recovering well, according to a police spokesman.
Search for the missing man has continued until darkness set in; so far to no avail.

Search was continued on Sunday, but the man has not been found. On Monday, the search was ended.

Headlines for Monday 14 July 2008

Actress Riek Schagen (94) dies

Actress Riek Schagen died this morning in her hometown of Vorden, a family spokesman has said.
Mrs Schagen was primarily known for her part in Dutch tv series "Swiebertje", about a tramp with a golden heart (played by the also deceased Joop Doderer), where she played Saartje, housekeeper to the local mayor. She played the part for 10 years (from 1965 to 1975), but reruns in later years kept her character alive and popular. Although she played parts in other tv series and plays, she would always be identified with Saartje - a thing she didn't dislike, because Saartje was much like herself.

2 Unlimited: Jump For Joy?

There are plans for a reunion of the original 2 Unlimited, according to the managament of Anita Doth, one half of the internationally popular Dutch duo. They have confirmed that Anita and Ray (Slijngaard) are on speaking terms again. Good news for the fans of the duo, that scored massive hits with songs like "No Limits", "The Real Thing" and "Twilight Zone" in the early 1990's. But it's still early days, and so far it's just plans.

Written By: nally on 07/14/08 at 5:08 pm

There are plans for a reunion of the original 2 Unlimited, according to the managament of Anita Doth, one half of the internationally popular Dutch duo. They have confirmed that Anita and Ray (Slijngaard) are on speaking terms again. Good news for the fans of the duo, that scored massive hits with songs like "No Limits", "The Real Thing" and "Twilight Zone" in the early 1990's. But it's still early days, and so far it's just plans.

And in the U.S., they had a big hit with "Get Ready For This" in 1994/95. 8)

Written By: thereshegoes on 07/14/08 at 5:12 pm

Henk,karma for the foreign twist!

I know this isn't an ask me thread but i heard the anti-smoking law just passed in Holland, how is everyone adapting? And are coffee shops still allowed?

Written By: Henk on 07/15/08 at 12:22 am

Henk,karma for the foreign twist!

I know this isn't an ask me thread but i heard the anti-smoking law just passed in Holland, how is everyone adapting?

Surprisingly well, although the smaller bars and cafes (esp. those that don't have an outdoor cafe) have been fighting for exception to the rule. Their respective owners don't have the money for structural alterations, and with no outdoor place for smokers, they face the prospect of losing clientele with the possibility of closure.
On the other hand: the anti-smoking law has encouraged lots of people to quit smoking. 

And are coffee shops still allowed?

Yes and no. Coffee shops were never really allowed, but tolerated. ;)
You can still smoke marijuana or hashish in a coffee shop, but only if it's not mixed with tobacco. If it's mixed with tobacco, you can only smoke it in a separated room that has to meet standards laid down by law. Most (if not all) coffeeshops don't have the money and/or the room for these alterations, so smoking a joint is getting harder and harder. (It is illegal to smoke a joint outdoors)

Written By: La Roche on 07/15/08 at 1:05 pm

Surprisingly well, although the smaller bars and cafes (esp. those that don't have an outdoor cafe) have been fighting for exception to the rule. Their respective owners don't have the money for structural alterations, and with no outdoor place for smokers, they face the prospect of losing clientele with the possibility of closure.
On the other hand: the anti-smoking law has encouraged lots of people to quit smoking. 

Yes and no. Coffee shops were never really allowed, but tolerated. ;)
You can still smoke marijuana or hashish in a coffee shop, but only if it's not mixed with tobacco. If it's mixed with tobacco, you can only smoke it in a separated room that has to meet standards laid down by law. Most (if not all) coffeeshops don't have the money and/or the room for these alterations, so smoking a joint is getting harder and harder. (It is illegal to smoke a joint outdoors)

Why anybody would mix it is beyond me? Best just to smoke a blunt.

Written By: Henk on 07/15/08 at 1:13 pm

Why anybody would mix it is beyond me? Best just to smoke a blunt.

I've no experience on the matter.

Written By: La Roche on 07/15/08 at 1:17 pm

I've no experience on the matter.

Aint no bugs on you!

Written By: Henk on 07/15/08 at 1:25 pm

Aint no bugs on you!

??? :-\\

Written By: Paul on 07/15/08 at 2:20 pm

2 Unlimited: Jump For Joy?

There are plans for a reunion of the original 2 Unlimited, according to the managament of Anita Doth, one half of the internationally popular Dutch duo. They have confirmed that Anita and Ray (Slijngaard) are on speaking terms again. Good news for the fans of the duo, that scored massive hits with songs like "No Limits", "The Real Thing" and "Twilight Zone" in the early 1990's.

...but bad news for the rest of us!  :P

Written By: Henk on 07/15/08 at 2:26 pm

...but bad news for the rest of us!  :P

I wouldn't worry too much, Paul. Remember the Spice Girls' reunion..? ;)

Written By: Paul on 07/15/08 at 2:37 pm

I wouldn't worry too much, Paul. Remember the Spice Girls' reunion..? ;)

I'm trying very hard to forget it actually occurred!  :P

It seems all you gotta do these days is split up, keep your heads down a few years, then subject the public to the same crap once more!

Written By: Henk on 07/15/08 at 2:44 pm

I'm trying very hard to forget it actually occurred!  :P

It seems all you gotta do these days is split up, keep your heads down a few years, then subject the public to the same crap once more!

Twelve years, in this case. And it's still unsure if there's gonna be a reunion - so far it's just talks.

I liked 2 Unlimited back then, btw. ::)

Written By: Paul on 07/15/08 at 2:48 pm

I liked 2 Unlimited back then, btw. ::)

Ah! So you're one of the many to blame!  ;)

'No, no, no-no no, no..no-no, no, no...no-no there's no lyrics!'

Written By: Henk on 07/15/08 at 4:49 pm

Ah! So you're one of the many to blame!  ;)

'No, no, no-no no, no..no-no, no, no...no-no there's no lyrics!'

There were lyrics to that song, you know... but I know you're just teasing. I suppose this is the wrong thread, but I should smite you for that.  :P

On topic: for those of you awaiting todays headlines... I have none. I was looking for some good news (for a change), but that's hard to find.
I suppose I could tell you that a 3-year-old girl has been found dead ("suspicious circumstances") or that the so-called Tijgermug (Tiger Mosquito, Aedes albopictus), a possibly disease carrying insect, has been spotted again in our country, but those things would not make you happier.

Written By: Henk on 07/19/08 at 3:09 pm

Headlines (and other news) for 16 - 19 July 2008

Two holes-in-one in one match (July 16)

During an amateur golf tournament at the Golfpark Spandersbosch in Hilversum, two golfers each hit a hole-in-one:
Mrs Cobi van der Meulen (hole 2, 128 m / 140 yards) and Mr Philippe Kluit (hole 8, 169 m / 185 yards).
Chances of this happening in any golf tournament, be it pro or amateur, aren't exceptionally good, so needless to say both players were pretty excited.
It was Mrs Van der Meulen's husband who told her she had hit a hole-in-one, but she couldn't see it herself because he was blocking her view, as she told the press. She didn't believe him until she approached the hole and couldn't find her ball anywhere.
Mr Kluit stated his astonishment as follows in his weblog: "I, no-good golfer with a beginners handicap of 45, really did it: every golfer's dream."

Adopted baby panda dies (July 17)

Today was a sad day in Artis Zoo, when an 18 days old red panda was found dead with his adoptive mother.
The young panda was born on 30 June, but was disowned by his mother. Luckily, one of the zoo keepers had a cat who had just given birth, and the panda young was placed with her. Everything seemed to be working out fine until today. According to the autopsy, the panda died of choking, probably caused by drinking too greedily.
The young panda was one of two pandas born on 30 June; the sibling died on that same day.
Mother cat and her four kittens are doing well, according to her owner.

First day of Red Bull Air Race ends prescheduled (July 19)

The first day of the Red Bull Air Race in Rotterdam didn't go as scheduled today. Hard winds, rain and occasional thunder and lightning forced the organizers to intervene. After already having canceled the opening show this morning (due to the heavy rain), the second round of qualification was also canceled later today. The hard wind was blowing the pilons (sp?) away.
Although race day tomorrow will probably see even more wind, the organisation is still expecting a packed house.

Schiphol Airport to introduce iris scan for all Dutch passengers (19 July)

Schiphol Airport has announced it will introduce iris scan for all Dutch passengers in the course of 2009. The iris scan is now reserved to a select group of passengers and Schiphol personnel.
Having your iris scanned will cost you approximately € 40, according to officials. The iris scan will hopefully help speed up checking in, because you will no longer have to go through passport control. The initial iris scan wil be valid for 5 years.

VWA (Food and Consumer Product Safety Authority) to check Smokers' Churches and Associations (19 July)

The Dutch Voedsel- en WarenAutoriteit (VWA, Food and Consumer Product Safety Authority) has announced it will check the newly set up Rokerskerken (Smokers' Churches) and Rokerssociëteiten (Smokers' Associations) to see if they're not breaking the law.
The Smokers' Churches and Associations were founded in reaction to the prohibition of smoking in bars, pubs and cafes. Dozens of these establishments "converted" to a new religion, worshipping the holy trinity of smoke, fire and ashes. They claim that their pubs are now houses of worship (with smoking being their religion), and refer to the freedom of religion to allow them smoking.
Other establishments formed a chain of Associations, where only members are allowed.
The VWA however claims all establishments are still pubs, bars or cafes, and as such smoking is not allowed.

Written By: Henk on 07/21/08 at 4:58 pm

Headlines (and other news) for Monday 21 July 2008.

Former skater Piet Keijzer (89) dies

Piet Keijzer, a former winner of the famous Elfstedentocht (Eleven Cities Tour), has died today at the age of 89.
Keijzer was one of five men to win the 1940 edition. The five formed a coalition, known as the "Pact van Dokkum" (Dokkum Pact), named after the most northern of the eleven cities where the men agreed not to sprint for the victory.
As things go, with the finish in sight the pact was forgotten and the men ended up sprinting after all. Still, all five men were ranked first ex aequo, because the crowd pressing on and other circumstances made it impossible for the judges to see who finished first.
It wasn't until 2007 that film footage revealed Piet Keijzer was the "real" winner. He was 21 years old at the time, and with that he is still the youngest winner ever.

Strandzesdaagse (Six-day Beach Walk): no-one drops out *

In spite of the poor conditions, not one of the 1,000 hikers in the Strandzesdaagse has dropped out today.
The Strandzesdaagse, a six-day walking event along the coast of Holland, is being held for the 50th time this year, and hikers were battling hard wind, severe showers of rain and low temperatures (about 15°C, high fifties Fahrenheit).  Luckily, the weather will be improving gradually over the next few days, with temperatures climbing to 27°C (80°F) on Friday and Saturday.
The first stage went from Hoek van Holland to Wassenaar. Next stops will be in Noordwijk aan Zee, Velsen Noord, Egmond aan Zee, Callantsoog and Den Helder (finish on Saturday).

* There's two reasons for telling you this: 1. I live in Den Helder; 2. One of my colleagues is walking the walk.

Advancing Q-fever causes concern

Family docters in the northeastern part of Noord-Brabant have uttered great concern over the advancing Q-fever in their region.
Q-fever is a severe form of influenza which is known to last up to 6 weeks, and sometimes evolves into pneumonia. The infection results from inhalation of contaminated particles in the air, and from contact with the vaginal mucus, milk, feces, urine or semen of infected animals (most commonly goat, sheep and cattle).
Until last year, on average 15 cases of the disease were reported each year, and it was considered an occupational illness.
This year however already 432 cases have been reported.
For you reassurance: the disease is easily cured with antibiotics, so there's no reason for you to avoid the area.

Written By: Henk on 07/24/08 at 2:45 pm

Headline for Thursday 24 July 2008

Dutch father and three children die in Alps

A Dutch father (57) and his three children (two girls aged 16 and 23, one boy aged 20) died today in the Alps. The four had just before reached the summit of the Mont Dolent (3,800 m) close to the French/Swiss/Italian border*, and were in their descent when apparently one of the four lost their footing. The four were connected by a rope and this lead to them all falling down some 300 m.
The mother of the family (50), who was still waiting on the top of the mountain, and a French hiker were eye witnesses to the tragic events.
The bodies of the four were transported to the morgue of Courmayeur (Italy).

Mont Dolent is not generally considered a difficult or dangerous climb, although it does call for experience. All five family members were members of the Royal Dutch Mountaineering Association.

* The summit is on Swiss territory, I believe.

Written By: Henk on 01/20/09 at 4:45 pm

Thought I'd bring this one back from the (nearly) dead...though nobody seemed to have missed it.

Headline for Tuesday 20 January 2009

'Time Out' for Mayor and Council in Den Helder

Mayor and Council of Den Helder have agreed in a mutual "time out" to evaluate the current situation. Lately there's been a lot of confusion about the mayor's income, and commotion about a supplementary income (provided by the city council) to contribute towards the costs of his double living expenses. An inquiry seemed to reveal the mayor hadn't fully informed the council about his income, which ultimately lead to the council revoking their confidence in the mayor.

Here's the story so far:
Our mayor is in function since mid-2007. Before, he was a member of the city council of Rotterdam, where he also owns an appartment. When he was appointed in Den Helder (we don't have elected mayors), one of the conditions was he had to move to Den Helder. So he did, and bought a new home over here, thinking his Rotterdam appartment would be sold quite easily. Of course, this was before the financial crisis...
Long story short: the appartment didn't sell. At that point he asked the city council of Den Helder to contribute towards his double costs of living (apprently, he was paying more on mortgage than he was earning as a mayor...). The council was quick to agree, without asking too many questions, and he was granted an additional € 3,200 a month on top of his salary.
This caused a stir in our city. We're not that wealthy a city, you know, and other (ordinary) people have to solve similar problems on their own. So this lead to some questioning towards the council, and an inquiry to find out about the necessity of these additional payments was started.
Information on the mayor's income was gathered by a third party. They told the mayor they had all the information needed for the investigation, and that he didn't need to take further action. He relied on this information, but it turned out later this was false information. For instance: the mayor has a wife, who earns an income. This income wasn't included in the information supplied to the council.
As soon as the mayor found out about this, he informed the council, stating that he had wrongly trusted the third party and that he hadn't deliberately left out any information on his income.
Nevertheless, the council felt mislead, and decided to revoke their confidence in the mayor last Friday.
This lead to yet another stir in our community, with opposition parties asking for the dismissal of all council members because of mismanagement (as they should have asked more questions in the first place).

Today the dust seems to have settled, and parties have agreed on a "time out" to evaluate the current situation.
Thank goodness: We've had more than our share of administrative crises in the recent past...
I hope the council will do the right thing and reinstall their confidence.

Written By: statsqueen on 01/20/09 at 6:21 pm

Henk,

I have just come across this thread (must have gotten bumped now I can see it).  Thank you for doing this.  It is nice to hear about news in other parts of the world, though I'm sorry so much of it is sad.

It's still a very nice thing for you to take time to do.

Written By: danootaandme on 01/20/09 at 6:28 pm

I like it.  :)

Written By: Henk on 01/21/09 at 1:41 pm

Henk,

I have just come across this thread (must have gotten bumped now I can see it).  Thank you for doing this.  It is nice to hear about news in other parts of the world, though I'm sorry so much of it is sad.

It's still a very nice thing for you to take time to do.

As you can tell, I obviously didn't have a lot of time the past months...

I like it.   :)

What? The thread..? Certainly not the news... :P

Written By: Henk on 01/21/09 at 1:44 pm

Headline for 21 January 2009

Court of Justice rules : MP has to be prosecuted

The Amsterdam Court of Justice ruled today that Geert Wilders, MP, has to be prosecuted for various remarks and statements about Muslims, Islam and the Koran. According to the Court, Wilders’ remarks (both in printed media and in his movie “Fitna”) were discriminatory and meant to incite hate towards Muslims.
In 2008, the Public Prosecutor had decided not to prosecute Wilders because he was of the opinion that there were insufficient grounds to do so. However, several civil rights organizations didn’t agree and took the case to Court, with the above ruling as a result.
In a first reaction, Wilders (leader of a right-wing political party) said to be “in shock and angry” about the ruling.
In The Netherlands, Members of Parliament are rarely prosecuted for their non-political acts.

Written By: philbo on 01/22/09 at 6:21 am

The Amsterdam Court of Justice ruled today that Geert Wilders, MP, has to be prosecuted for various remarks and statements about Muslims, Islam and the Koran. According to the Court, Wilders’ remarks (both in printed media and in his movie “Fitna”) were discriminatory and meant to incite hate towards Muslims.

That'll be interesting...

Written By: Henk on 02/15/09 at 5:50 pm

RE: The ongoing story of Geert Wilders...

-  He will appeal to a higher court against the ruling of the Amsterdam Court.
  People in the know have already said he doesn't stand a chance..

- He was invited over by a British MP to show his movie "Fitna" in British parliament, but the British government have declared
  him Persona Non Grata. In spite of this, Wilders flew to the UK last Thursday, where he was stopped and sent back.
  I couldn't help but laugh.

And now on to more recent news...

Headline for 15 February 2009

Rescuer of Anne Frank's diary marks 100th birthday

AMSTERDAM (AP) — Anne Frank called them the Helpers. They provided food, books and good cheer while she and her family hid for two years from the Nazis in a tiny attic apartment.
On Sunday, the last surviving helper, Miep Gies, celebrates her 100th birthday, saying she has won more accolades for helping the Frank family than she deserved — as if, she says, she tried to save all the Jews of occupied Holland.

"This is very unfair. So many others have done the same or even far more dangerous work," she wrote in an e-mail to The Associated Press this week.

It was Gies who gathered up Anne's scattered papers and notebooks after the hiding place was raided in 1944. She locked them — unread — in a desk drawer to await the teenager's return.

Source: USA Today

Written By: philbo on 02/16/09 at 4:40 am

Banning Geert Wilders caused a lot more aggro than letting him show the film to a bunch of UKIP members... however, unlike most newspaper pundits complaining that extremist Muslims are let in to speak, therefore Wilders should be, too, to balance things they had to deny him entry: extremist Islamic preachers are also turned away.

What I found most gobsmacking of the whole business was that we've turned away 270 people in the past couple of years - he's not even close to being unique.  It's just a bit of a media storm in a teacup.

Written By: Henk on 02/25/09 at 6:52 am

Headline for Wednesday, February 25

Turkish Airlines Plane Crash Lands Into Field Nearby Schiphol Intl Airport

A Turkish Airlines Boeing 737-800, carrying 127 passengers and 7 crewmen, has crash landed into a field close to the runway nearby Schiphol Airport, where it was scheduled to land at 10:40 (CET). On impact, the plane broke into 3 pieces that have remained intact for the most part. Eye witnesses tell at least 50 people escaped the plane on their own, without serious visible injuries. Others were rushed to hospitals in the proximity by aid workers, who were all over the crash site in no time.
At this point (12:50 CET) no deaths have been confirmed, but footage from the site reveals that at least 4 people did not survive the crash.
The cause of the accident is uncertain, but eye witness reports rule out any terrorist attack.

Latest news: at least nine people (6 passengers and 3 crew members) were killed in the crash.

Update: Nine dead are confirmed. Among the dead are the two pilots of the plane. Over 80 people were injured in the crash, six of them are in critical condition. An investigation has been started to find out what caused the plane to crash. Eye witness reports suggest a total and sudden loss of all engine power. This could be caused by the plane running out of fuel, but we just don't know for sure at this point.

The crash is one of the worst to happen in the direct proximity of Schiphol Airport (or on Dutch soil, for that matter). In earlier plane crashes nearby or at Schiphol Airport in 1994 and 1946, three respectively 26 people were killed.
The worst plane crash on Dutch soil happened in 1992, when an El Al cargo flight crashed into an apartment building, killing 43.

Written By: Henk on 04/30/09 at 4:57 pm

Headline for Thursday, April 30

Attempted attack on Dutch royals: 5 dead, 13 injured

In an attempt to attack the Dutch royal family earlier today, a 38-year old man drove his car through a crowd of spectators before crashing into a memorial in the town of Apeldoorn, just yards away from where the royals were passing in an open top coach.
The car hit 17 people, including young children, several of whom were flung through the air. In total, 5 people died (on the spot or in hospital); 12 more were (seriously) injured and rushed to hospitals. The driver of the car also suffered major trauma; he too was taken to hospital. Latest news is that he appears to be brain dead.
The crowd had gathered to catch a glimpse of queen Beatrix, her family and following, who were touring the town in an open top coach to Het Loo palace, following a visit (by foot) of local festivities. April 30 is a national holiday in the Netherlands, known as Koninginnedag (Queen's Day), marking the birthday of the late queen Juliana. Throughout the country all kinds of festivities are organized, such as open air concerts, picnics, street markets and games. Traditionally, queen Beatrix (and her family) visit one or two different cities/towns each year. This year they chose the town of Apeldoorn, specifically because of the historic bond the town has with the Dutch royal family. This year would have been queen Juliana's 100th birthday, so festivities were extra special.

All festivities in Apeldoorn were cancelled following the tragic events. Other towns followed the example set by Apeldoorn, or toned down on their festivities.

It is yet unclear what motive the driver had for his actions. He was not known to police or local government.

Watch the videos, if you got the stomach.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/30/09 at 5:01 pm

In an attempt to attack the Dutch royal family earlier today, a 38-year old man drove his car through a crowd of spectators before crashing into a memorial in the town of Apeldoorn, just yards away from where the royals were passing in an open top coach.
The car hit 17 people, including young children, several of whom were flung through the air. In total, 5 people died (on the spot or in hospital); 12 more were (seriously) injured and rushed to hospitals. The driver of the car also suffered major trauma; he too was taken to hospital. Latest news is that he appears to be brain dead.
The crowd had gathered to catch a glimpse of queen Beatrix, her family and following, who were touring the town in an open top coach to Het Loo palace, following a visit (by foot) of local festivities. April 30 is a national holiday in the Netherlands, known as Koninginnedag (Queen's Day), marking the birthday of the late queen Juliana. Throughout the country all kinds of festivities are organized, such as open air concerts, picnics, street markets and games. Traditionally, queen Beatrix (and her family) visit one or two different cities/towns each year. This year they chose the town of Apeldoorn, specifically because of the historic bond the town has with the Dutch royal family. This year would have been queen Juliana's 100th birthday, so festivities were extra special.

All festivities in Apeldoorn were cancelled following the tragic events. Other towns followed the example set by Apeldoorn, or toned down on their festivities.

It is yet unclear what motive the driver had for his actions. He was not known to police or local government.

Watch the videos, if you got the stomach.

I heard about this earlier and thought about you. It is so sad. I really don't know what else to say.

Cat

Written By: Paul on 04/30/09 at 5:02 pm

Made the front page of tonight's paper here...such a tragic waste of life... :(

You'll notice that the 'great and the good' don't get maimed or killed...just the plebs!  >:(

(And that guy in the white top on the bicycle got out of the way of this lunatic just in time!  :o)

Written By: Jessica on 04/30/09 at 5:07 pm

Oh my hell......that is so horrible. :\'(

Written By: Henk on 05/01/09 at 1:05 pm

Death toll has risen to seven today. :\'(
The driver of the car died last night, so we'll never know what his reasonings were.
And this afternoon, a 55-year old military policeman died of his injuries.

Nine people still in hospital: one is critical, two are seriously injured. Remaining six suffered minor injuries.

(And that guy in the white top on the bicycle got out of the way of this lunatic just in time!  :o)

That guy   was a policeman...

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/01/09 at 1:11 pm

Death toll has risen to seven today. :\'(
The driver of the car died last night, so we'll never know what his reasonings were.
And this afternoon, a 55-year old military policeman died of his injuries.

Nine people still in hospital: one is critical, two are seriously injured. Remaining six suffered minor injuries.

That guy   was a policeman...
Are there any clues into his reasons?

Written By: Henk on 05/01/09 at 2:10 pm

Are there any clues into his reasons?

None that we know of. We only have a brief statement by the man himself, taken right after he had hit the memorial, that his act was aimed at the royal family. Soon after, the man went into a coma and never recovered.

It all seems a spur of the moment thing to me. Not at all well planned.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/01/09 at 2:12 pm

None that we know of. We only have a brief statement by the man himself, taken right after he had hit the memorial, that his act was aimed at the royal family. Soon after, the man went into a coma and never recovered.

It all seems a spur of the moment thing to me. Not at all well planned.
Are the police searching his home for clues or evidence?

Written By: karen on 05/01/09 at 2:34 pm

Are the police searching his home for clues or evidence?

Yes, but they found nothing.

There's a bit more in the other thread on this topic

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=36925.0

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 05/01/09 at 2:41 pm

Oh, how tragic!  :\'(

Written By: seamermar on 05/02/09 at 4:31 pm

Jamal Ahmidan. He and five more were killed themselves before get caught by police in Spain. Well, a brother of this  angel of death  was picked by police in Amsterdam on Friday 12th March.

I hope you're right and this madness has no further.

Written By: Henk on 06/17/09 at 2:03 pm

Headline for Wednesday, June 17

Trusted Swim Instructor Turns Out Sexual Offender

A 59 year old swim instructor, who has been instructing intellectually handicapped or hydrophobic children for 18 years, has turned out to be a sexual offender. Police have found nearly 100,000 photos along with video material on his computers, showing 98 different girls in the age of approximately 6 to 16, alone or with the suspect, in various sexually explicit poses. All footage appears to have been shot by the suspect himself, in or around the swimming pool where he was employed.
None of the footage shows evidence that the suspect has had intercourse with any of his victims, but that doesn't mean to say it didn't happen. It is also unclear for exactly how long these practices have been going on, and if the 98 girls on the photos and videos are the only victims.

Written By: karen on 06/17/09 at 3:13 pm

>:(

They really are very clever at gaining everyone's trust

Written By: Henk on 07/26/09 at 1:54 am

Not really today's headlines, but a little update...

Former 'Dolly Dot' dies at 52

Ria Brieffies, member of the Dolly Dots, has died at the age of 52 on Tuesday, July 21. She was diagnosed with terminal lung cancer in November 2008.
The Dolly Dots were a very popular Dutch 6-girl act from the 1980's era. They were popular and successful throughout Europe (save UK) and even in Japan, where they scored a #1 hit. In Holland, they had 25 Top 40 hits in 1979 - 1987 period. The girls called it quits in 1988, but reunited in 2007 for a series of three concerts.
Ria performed lead vocals on their sole Dutch #1 hit, Love Me Just A Little Bit More (Totally Hooked On You).

Written By: Henk on 08/19/09 at 2:41 pm

Headline for August 19, 2009

Four Young Brothers Die In Fire

Four brothers died in a fire that destroyed the attic of a family residence in the Dutch town of Kampen last night. The four (aged 1, 4, 6 and 8 years respectively) were caught by surprise while sleeping and could not be rescued in time by their siblings, alarmed neighbors or rescue workers.
The young boys were sleeping in the attic of the packed residence, occupied by a family of 16 (mother, father and 14 children). A 15th child, one of the oldest, had already moved out. The family are member of the reformatory church, a conservative religion.

What boggles my mind is not why anyone would want to have 15 children (though it wouldn't be my first choice), but why the young ones (of all children) were sleeping in the attic. :-\\

Written By: ladybug316 on 08/19/09 at 11:31 pm

Very sad news indeed, but I do love your updates.  Keep 'em coming.

Written By: Henk on 08/20/09 at 4:07 pm

Very sad news indeed, but I do love your updates.  Keep 'em coming.

Unfortunately, it's mostly sad news that I bring - and at irregular intervals with that.

Written By: Henk on 08/25/09 at 4:48 pm

Today's headline features a story of a 13-year old girl who wants to emigrate to New Zealand. Something to do with her plans of making a solo sailing trip around the world... :-\\ I didn't get the full story, but I do know the girl (Laura) has Dutch, German and New Zealand nationality. I didn't even think this was possible...

Anyway - judge's ruling is expected on Friday.

Written By: Henk on 08/26/09 at 2:33 pm

Today's headline features a story of a 13-year old girl who wants to emigrate to New Zealand. Something to do with her plans of making a solo sailing trip around the world... :-\\ I didn't get the full story, but I do know the girl (Laura) has Dutch, German and New Zealand nationality. I didn't even think this was possible...

Anyway - judge's ruling is expected on Friday.

Full story is right here.

Written By: Henk on 10/01/09 at 7:03 am

Headline for October 1, 2009

Netherlands Antilles Seize To Exist In 2010

Governments of The Netherlands and Netherlands Antilles have agreed that the Netherlands Antilles will seize to exist in its current form on October 10, 2010 (10/10/10).
Netherlands Antilles comprise of five small islands in the Caribbean: Bonaire, Curaçao, Saba, St. Eustatius and a part of St. Martin.
Curaçao and St. Martin will be granted independence, although they will remain parts of the Kingdom of The Netherlands (much like Puerto Rico within the United States). The islands of Bonaire, Saba and St. Eustatius will each become a municipality, and as such be a part of The Netherlands. I'm unsure as to how this will work out regarding local, regional and international government, currency, participation in international sport events (like WC soccer or the Olympics) etc.

Back in 1986, the island of Aruba (originally a part of the Netherlands Antilles) already was granted independence within the Kingdom of The Netherlands.

New Website "Bel-Me-Niet" (Don't Call Me) Overburdened On First Day

A newly opened website, where people can register if they don't want to be bothered by callcenter agents and the like, turned out an overnight success. On the very first day, the site couldn't handle the rush of requests and had to be shut down.
Apparently, the Dutch are fed up with people harassing them at inconvenient times with unsolicited offers or requests...

Written By: Henk on 10/10/09 at 1:07 am

Some (more) additional feedback every now and then would be highly appreciated...

Written By: ladybug316 on 10/11/09 at 7:10 pm

Sorry Henk.  I may not always comment, but you know I'm always interested to know what's going on in your neck of the woods.  Thanks for your updates  :)

Written By: philbo on 10/12/09 at 4:26 am

What Ladybug said...

Although it may seem that weird, crazy or just plain wrong things are happening in your neck of the woods, it looks like Holland's a little bastion of sanity compared to over here :)

Written By: ladybug316 on 10/12/09 at 5:05 pm

What Philbo said  ;D

Written By: Henk on 10/13/09 at 4:00 pm

Sorry Henk.  I may not always comment, but you know I'm always interested to know what's going on in your neck of the woods.  Thanks for your updates  :)

What Ladybug said...

Although it may seem that weird, crazy or just plain wrong things are happening in your neck of the woods, it looks like Holland's a little bastion of sanity compared to over here :)

I thank you both. :) I do try to post here more regularly, but like Philbo said: Holland's a haven of peace... :D

Written By: Henk on 10/13/09 at 4:41 pm

Headline for October 12, 2009

DSB Bank Teetering On The Brink Of Bankruptcy

DSB Bank, main sponsor of Dutch soccer champions AZ Alkmaar, are teetering on the brink of bankruptcy.
The bank is under guardianship by the Nederlandsche Bank (Dutch State Bank) as of Monday, and all assets have been frozen.
Two curators have been appointed to make a clean sweep of things. According to all sources, there is no imminent danger for the existence of AZ Alkmaar, although the continuation of other sponsor activities by DSB is highly unlikely. (DSB are also sponsor of a successful speed skating team)

DSB Bank was founded some ten years ago by Dirk Scheringa, also chairman of AZ Alkmaar, and owner of the Scheringa Museum for magical realism. First signs of troubles surfaced about six months ago, when clients started to complain about excessively high and unsolicited single premium insurances with their mortgages. Commission on these insurances turned out to be as high as 90%. Complaints were not dealt with adequately and swiftly, which only lead to more complaints.
A week ago, a prominent economist advised people to close their accounts at DSB Bank. Apparently, many people took this advice.

Scheringa remains in office as chairman of AZ Alkmaar.

Written By: Henk on 10/16/09 at 5:24 pm

Headlines for October 16, 2009

Oldest Living Dutchwoman Dies (Twice In One Week!)

The oldest living Dutchwoman, Bertha van Hasselt, died today, at the relatively young age of 107.
Mrs. Van Hasselt only held the title for four days. Her predecessor, Grietje Jansen-Anker, who held the title since 2006, died at the age of 112 last Tuesday.
I don't know who holds the crown for oldest living Dutchwoman at present.

"ShameName Of The Year" Competition: Nearly 10,000 Votes Cast

The annual "ShameName Of The Year" Competition (an initiative of two Dutch radio dj's) has attracted thousands of people to cast a vote.
Listeners of a radio show could enter bizarre, but existing names (first and last name) for the competition. Among the entries were names like Coos Busters (where "Coos" is pronounced as "coas"), Chil Persoon (Persoon = person), Constant Lam ("Lam" is Dutch slang for pissed) and Jos Tibant (just google for "Josti Band"...).
None of these names proved a winner. The wiining name was... Fokje Modder. (I was gonna say: by a landslide, but you probably wouldn't understand the pun) Try and pronounce that as English as you can.

FYI: Last year's winner was Stanley Messie. ("Messie" is a Dutch abbreviated form of "Mes'" , which means - you guessed it - knife.)

Written By: ladybug316 on 10/16/09 at 5:34 pm

Headline for October 12, 2009

DSB Bank Teetering On The Brink Of Bankruptcy

DSB Bank, main sponsor of Dutch soccer champions AZ Alkmaar, are teetering on the brink of bankruptcy.
The bank is under guardianship by the Nederlandsche Bank (Dutch State Bank) as of Monday, and all assets have been frozen.
Two curators have been appointed to make a clean sweep of things. According to all sources, there is no imminent danger for the existence of AZ Alkmaar, although the continuation of other sponsor activities by DSB is highly unlikely. (DSB are also sponsor of a successful speed skating team)

DSB Bank was founded some ten years ago by Dirk Scheringa, also chairman of AZ Alkmaar, and owner of the Scheringa Museum for magical realism. First signs of troubles surfaced about six months ago, when clients started to complain about excessively high and unsolicited single premium insurances with their mortgages. Commission on these insurances turned out to be as high as 90%. Complaints were not dealt with adequately and swiftly, which only lead to more complaints.
A week ago, a prominent economist advised people to close their accounts at DSB Bank. Apparently, many people took this advice.

Scheringa remains in office as chairman of AZ Alkmaar.

:(  This is the state of our banks over here too, Henk.  90% commission - those bastards  >:(.  Scary stuff.

Written By: karen on 10/16/09 at 8:57 pm

Headlines for October 16, 2009

FYI: Last year's winner was Stanley Messie. ("Messie" is a Dutch abbreviated form of "Mes'" , which means - you guessed it - knife.)

;D

Also interesting about Lam meaning pissed.  Have at times heard people talk about being on the lam meaning going out drinking

Written By: Bobo on 10/16/09 at 9:09 pm

I don't know who holds the crown for oldest living Dutchwoman at present.

It would appear her successor as oldest living Dutchwoman has been taken by Wytske van Dijk-Meindersma (born February 11, 1902). By my calculations it would take Wytske 2 years and 122 days before she became the 27th Dutch supercentenarian.

Written By: Henk on 10/17/09 at 2:39 am

:(  This is the state of our banks over here too, Henk.  90% commission - those bastards   >:(.  Scary stuff.

Of course, it turns out DSB Bank weren't the only ones with commissions that high. They just were the first to be revealed.
It should also be mentioned that DSB Bank were close to reaching an agreement with a large group of plaintiffs; signing was scheduled for Friday, October 9. But as it turns out, De Nederlandsche Bank intervened during the next weekend and instituted guardianship the following Monday.
It is rumored that signing said agreement might have set a precedent, which could spell trouble for lots of others bankers, and that THAT was the actual reason for the guardianship. But these are only rumors.

Latest news on DSB is that they have until Monday to find a buyer. Negotiations with Dutch banks have failed; the only possible buyer remaining is an American bank. Apparently, there's a 50/50 chance of bringing negotiations to a successful end. Should they fail, about 1,600 people lose their job and some 350,000 customers have to find a new bank.

Written By: Henk on 10/17/09 at 2:49 am

;D

One should THINK people would actually use their brains before naming their son/daughter... ::)

Also interesting about Lam meaning pissed.  Have at times heard people talk about being on the lam meaning going out drinking

I've never heard (of) that expression.
According to my dictionary, it means "being on the run (for authorities)".  :-\\

Written By: Henk on 10/17/09 at 2:59 am

It would appear her successor as oldest living Dutchwoman has been taken by Wytske van Dijk-Meindersma (born February 11, 1902). By my calculations it would take Wytske 2 years and 122 days before she became the 27th Dutch supercentenarian.

Thank you very much for looking into the matter. :) Statistics and trivia facts...right up your alley, eh? ;)

Written By: Henk on 10/17/09 at 3:18 am

Headline for October 17, 2009

Dutch Village First To Use Windows 7TM

The Dutch village of Zevenhuizen has been picked as the first to use the latest version of Microsofts operating system Windows 7TM. Today, 777 packages will be installed on various computers in the Dutch village of approx. 3,000. Windows 7TM will not be available for the public until October 22, 2009.
Windows 7TM replaces the current operating system Windows VistaTM, which has been a source of complaints and annoyances worldwide ever since its introduction nearly three years ago.
The new operating system is said to be 'lighter and more user friendly' than its predecessor. Well, we'll just see about that... ::)

Written By: karen on 10/17/09 at 10:12 pm

Headline for October 17, 2009

Dutch Village First To Use Windows 7TM

The Dutch village of Zevenhuizen has been picked as the first to use the latest version of Microsofts operating system Windows 7TM. Today, 777 packages will be installed on various computers in the Dutch village of approx. 3,000. Windows 7TM will not be available for the public until October 22, 2009.
Windows 7TM replaces the current operating system Windows VistaTM, which has been a source of complaints and annoyances worldwide ever since its introduction nearly three years ago.
The new operating system is said to be 'lighter and more user friendly' than its predecessor. Well, we'll just see about that... ::)

Does the village name Zevenhuizen translate into something to do with the number seven?  Tell me it's not seven windows?

Written By: Henk on 10/18/09 at 12:57 am

Does the village name Zevenhuizen translate into something to do with the number seven?  Tell me it's not seven windows?

;D No, it's not Seven Windows. It's Seven Houses.

Written By: danootaandme on 10/18/09 at 6:26 am

Cool, are the seven houses still extant.

Written By: Henk on 10/18/09 at 7:10 am

Cool, are the seven houses still extant.

I doubt it.

Written By: karen on 10/18/09 at 4:32 pm

;D No, it's not Seven Windows. It's Seven Houses.

I thought it looked more like houses than windows - but you never know!

Written By: Henk on 10/19/09 at 3:55 pm

Latest news on DSB is that they have until Monday to find a buyer. Negotiations with Dutch banks have failed; the only possible buyer remaining is an American bank. Apparently, there's a 50/50 chance of bringing negotiations to a successful end. Should they fail, about 1,600 people lose their job and some 350,000 customers have to find a new bank.

Curtain has fallen for DSB Bank. Judges have pronounced bankruptcy today at about 9:00 AM. All attempts to save the bank have failed.
Some 700 people will remain employed, to handle current affairs and help receivers. About 1,300 other lose their jobs overnight.
Customers with savings up to EUR 100,000 ($ 149,119 at today's rate) will receive a full refund, guaranteed by De Nederlandsche Bank.
Anyone with savings over EUR 100,000, or with other forms of assets, will have to wait and see what's going to be left after receivers have finished their job.

Chairman and main shareholder Dirk Scheringa said he 'lost everything but his house', and has asked for an inquiry re. the downfall of his empire.

Written By: Henk on 11/21/09 at 6:23 pm

Headline for November 21, 2009

Holland Wins Junior Eurovision Song Contest

The Netherlands have won the 7th edition of the Junior Eurovision Song Contest, held in Kiev (Ukraine). Out of 13 competing songs, the Dutch entry proved the most popular. It is the first time The Netherlands have won the contest, and the first time in 34 years that they won any of the Eurovision Song Contests.

The Junior ESC is a singing contest for children aged 10 to 15. All songs must be performed by the artists that wrote them, and they have to be sung in the language of the country the child is representing.
This year's edition proved very exciting, with four countries still competing for victory until the final points were given. In a neck-and-neck race The Netherlands (121 pts) eventually snatched victory over Armenia, Russia (shared 2nd place, 116 pts) and Belgium (113 pts).

Here's a video of 14-year old Ralf performing his winning song 'Click Clack'. Admittedly, he's not the best singer, but his overall performance brought us victory nevertheless. The video gets a bit tacky towards the end - sorry about that.

Ralf - Click Clack

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-97sRYgzeb0

Written By: ladybug316 on 11/22/09 at 8:33 pm

Great news!  What are the lyrics, Henk?  What is he saying?

Written By: philbo on 11/23/09 at 6:10 am

I didn't even realize there was a Junior Eurovision..

<shudder>

Written By: Henk on 11/23/09 at 5:36 pm

Great news!  What are the lyrics, Henk?  What is he saying?

These are the original lyrics...

Woah… be-dabe-die-du, be-dabe-die-du hey
Woah… be-dabe-die-du, be-dabe-die-du

Ik heb geen zin in de computer en ook niet in TV
Iedereen is naar de film en nee, ik wilde ook niet mee
Beetje lazy achterover, dat is me wat te chill
Geef mij maar activity, tap is wat ik wil

Click clack, tikkeditak
Tikkeditak click clack

Tikkeditak, tikkeditak, click clack

So I think that I can dance, hey, urban, pop of break
Maar de top voor mij is tap, ja het liefst de hele week

Click clack, tikkeditak
Tikkeditak click clack

Tikkeditak, tikkeditak, click clack

Translation:

First verse:
I don't feel like playing with my computer or watching tv
Everyone has gone to the movies, but I didn't feel like that either
Lazy reclining? Too 'chill' for me!
I prefer activity - tap dance is what I want!

Second verse:
So I think that I can dance, hey, urban pop or break...
But tap dance is tops for me, preferably all week long!

Well, I think you can guess the rest. ;D

Written By: ladybug316 on 11/23/09 at 7:20 pm

Thank you, Henk!  Now I understand why it's called Click Clack.  ;D

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/24/09 at 8:30 am

Well, I think you can guess the rest. ;D

"Tap dancing" is a Dutch euphemism? ???

;D

Written By: Henk on 12/21/09 at 4:02 am

Headlines for 12 - 20 December, 2009

14-Year Old Lost And Found

One of the most remarkable stories of the past few days is the story of 14-year old Laura Dekker. She was reported missing by her parents last Friday, only to resurface on Sunday... on the island of St. Martin in the Caribbean!! It is yet unknown what the girl's motives are to fly to the island. Reportedly she withdrew 3,500 euro from her own savings account.
Laura Dekker, whose parents are divorced, already made headlines earlier this year, when she was still only 13 and planned to sail the world solo (thus becoming the youngest sailor to achieve this). She had her father's consent, but her mother wasn't sure. Child Welfare intervened and took the case to court. Judge ruled that, although she was probably able to manage physically, her trip was ill-prepared and she needed to be evaluated emotionally and mentally. Subsequently she was placed under custody of Child Welfare for a 6 month period, after which a re-evaluation would take place. Laura continued to live with her father, until she ran away last Thursday.
Running away is never a smart thing to do, and it sure isn't helping her case.

Patricia Paay Oldest Playmate Ever

Dutch singer Patricia Paay had the honor of becoming the oldest Playmate ever this week. At the age of 60, she was still prepared to show her all in front of the cameras.

Dutch Entry For ESC 2010 Revealed

The Dutch entry for the 2010 Eurovison Song Contest has been revealed. It is a tune written by Pierre Kartner, a Dutch song writer who's been in the business since the late 1960's. Internationally, he is best known by his alter ego Father Abraham, scoring a massive hit with the Smurf Song in 1977.
Thirty-two years later, he's going to try his luck at the ESC. The demo version of the song is available on YouTube. Six performers (yet to be decided who) are to sing the song in different arrangements on January 31 and February 7, to decide which version will be sent to Norway.
Not that it won't make much of a difference. The song is rubbish to begin with.

Beer Ad Wins Prestigious 'Gouden Loeki'

The annual election of the most popular Dutch tv commercial was won by an ad for Heineken, featuring a walk-in fridge. In the final, which was held for the 15th time this year, the commercial beat another beer commercial (for Brand beer), a commercial for an audicien (featuring Luis Suarez), a commercial for an internet mediastore and a commercial for a telecom company.
The winner was awarded the 'Gouden Loeki' (Golden Loeki), named after Loeki, a lion shaped puppet that was aired in short animations inbetween commercials from 1972 to 2004.

Written By: karen on 12/21/09 at 10:55 am

Pleased to hear that Laura has been found safe and well.  As you say though, running away to make some point will probably back-fire on her.  People will be more worried about her mental state now.

Written By: Henk on 12/21/09 at 3:46 pm

Pleased to hear that Laura has been found safe and well.  As you say though, running away to make some point will probably back-fire on her.  People will be more worried about her mental state now.

There's still a lot of unanswered questions. Not just the 'why', but also the 'how'. Yeah, sure, she must've taken a plane to get there, but wouldn't someone notice a 14-year old travelling alone? And how did she get a ticket? Makes you wonder if this was entirely her idea...

Written By: ladybug316 on 12/21/09 at 8:33 pm

That poor Laura!  She's obviously running from stuff; always trying to get away (and by herself, no less).  I hope she can resolve whatever is causing her to run  :(

Written By: Henk on 01/15/10 at 6:12 pm

I really should be updating this thread from time to time, but I haven't felt the inspiration/motivation lately. Sorry.

Written By: Henk on 01/16/10 at 9:22 am

That poor Laura!  She's obviously running from stuff; always trying to get away (and by herself, no less).  I hope she can resolve whatever is causing her to run  :(

Laura had to face a judge on her return in Holland. In the trial that followed it became clear that Laura ran away because of the pressure/media attention she got (also causing her grades to drop). She wanted to buy a boat on the island of St. Martin and sail from there.
She was lucky to find a judge that ruled in her favor: she is allowed to stay with her father, and the solo sailing trip is still on.

Written By: Henk on 01/16/10 at 10:03 am

Latest from Holland

Miep Gies Dies

At the age of 100, Miep Gies died in the city of Hoorn on January 11, 2010. Mrs. Gies was the last surviving member of a small group of people who hid the Frank family in the so-called Secret Annexe. She was the one to discover and preserve the (now) famous diary of Anne Frank, and hand it to her father Otto Frank after the War.
Mrs. Gies never read the diary herself until it was published after the War. “It’s a good thing I never read it earlier”, she later said, “Anne mentioned all of our names in the diary. I would have had to destroy it because of that.”
Mrs. Gies was awarded the Yad Vashem Medal as well as the Order of Merit of the Federal Republic of Germany, and was knighted by Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands.
Mrs. Gies will be buried this Monday.

Fashion Designer Edgar Vos Dies

Dutch fashion designer Edgar Vos also died this week, at the age of 78. He was on holiday in the US when he was hospitalized and died on Wednesday.
Vos gained international attention and respect in the 1960’s and 1970’s  with his classic and top-quality designs that reflected the women wearing them perfectly. His designs were never extravagant, and his shops (15 in total) were/are hugely successful.
Vos’ s last collection was presented in 2000, after which the designer stepped back from the limelight.

Written By: Henk on 01/25/10 at 4:28 pm

Headlines of January 25, 2010

HFC Haarlem Officially Declared Bankrupt

HFC Haarlem, the second oldest soccer club of The Netherlands (founded 1889), has been officially declared bankrupt today after a long struggle to find moneylenders. The club has been disqualified of competing in Eerste Divisie immediately, nullifying all results other teams have booked against them.

HFC Haarlem won the Dutch National Cup in 1902 and 1912 (there was no such thing as KNVB back then), and the overall Dutch championship in 1946.
In 1981/1982 season, the club ended fourth in Eredivisie, which meant qualification for UEFA Cup. They faced AA Gent in first round (a win and a draw) and Spartak Moscow in second round (two lost matches).
The following season, they ended fourth again, but that proved not enough to qualify for UEFA Cup that time.
After that, it slowly went downhill for Haarlem. Since 1990, the team played Eerste Divisie, with little to no success. HFC Haarlem were currently holding last place in Eerste Divisie, facing relegation to Topklasse at the end of this season.

One of the best known players ever to play for Haarlem was none other than Ruud Gullit, who started his professional career in Haarlem in 1979/1980 season. He last played for the team in 1981/1982 season, helping them to their historic 4th place. After that, he moved on to Feyenoord.

The bankruptcy of Haarlem is the fourth only in over 50 years of professional soccer in The Netherlands. The last two teams to disappear from the ranks of professionalism were VCV Zeeland and FC Wageningen, both in 1992.

One of the scarce highlights of the last 20 seasons: a goal by then goalie Mark Verzijlberg in 1995/1996 season.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdLpz49jEe8

Written By: Henk on 02/20/10 at 4:14 am

Headline for February 20, 2010

Balkenende Administration Falls Over Afghanistan Mission

In the early hours of February 20, the Dutch cabinet has fallen on the subject of the prolongation of the Dutch mission in Afghanistan.
The cabinet, a coalition of CDA (Christian Democrats), PvdA (Labour) and CU (Confessional Christians), had been in function for nearly three years. It was the fourth coalition under Prime Minister Jan Peter Balkenende, and also the fourth to collaps within the last 7 years.
The initial stand of the cabinet towards the Afghanistan mission was that all Dutch participation should be ended by the end of 2010, and thus all troops should be back home by then. But international appeal and appraisal have persuaded two parties (CDA and CU) to reconsider this stand, and consider the possibility of a smaller force staying elsewhere in Afghanistan on a humanitarian mission rather than a combat one.
Recently, a letter stretching to this request was issued by the NATO and addressed to the Dutch cabinet. Unfortunately, this letter caused great controversy between CDA and CU on one side and PvdA on the other. PvdA have kept their stand regarding withdrawal of all Dutch troops from Afghanistan and are not willing to budge. Vice president Bos (PvdA) has made this stand very clear over the last couple of days. This eventually lead to the unavoidable break-up of the cabinet earlier today, despite negotiations and talks that went on for over 12 hours.

The inflexibility of the PvdA on this subject isn't coincidental. In less than two weeks, there will be municipal elections in The Netherlands, and PvdA are doing poorly in the polls.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/20/10 at 8:46 am

Headline for February 20, 2010

Balkenende Administration Falls Over Afghanistan Mission

In the early hours of February 20, the Dutch cabinet has fallen on the subject of the prolongation of the Dutch mission in Afghanistan.
The cabinet, a coalition of CDA (Christian Democrats), PvdA (Labour) and CU (Confessional Christians), had been in function for nearly three years. It was the fourth coalition under Prime Minister Jan Peter Balkenende, and also the fourth to collaps within the last 7 years.
The initial stand of the cabinet towards the Afghanistan mission was that all Dutch participation should be ended by the end of 2010, and thus all troops should be back home by then. But international appeal and appraisal have persuaded two parties (CDA and CU) to reconsider this stand, and consider the possibility of a smaller force staying elsewhere in Afghanistan on a humanitarian mission rather than a combat one.
Recently, a letter stretching to this request was issued by the NATO and addressed to the Dutch cabinet. Unfortunately, this letter caused great controversy between CDA and CU on one side and PvdA on the other. PvdA have kept their stand regarding withdrawal of all Dutch troops from Afghanistan and are not willing to budge. Vice president Bos (PvdA) has made this stand very clear over the last couple of days. This eventually lead to the unavoidable break-up of the cabinet earlier today, despite negotiations and talks that went on for over 12 hours.

The inflexibility of the PvdA on this subject isn't coincidental. In less than two weeks, there will be municipal elections in The Netherlands, and PvdA are doing poorly in the polls.

I read this this morning and thought about you. What does it mean the Administration falls? Our system is totally different. I think if our Administration falls, the entire country would collapse.

Cat

Written By: Henk on 02/20/10 at 9:09 am

I read this this morning and thought about you. What does it mean the Administration falls? Our system is totally different. I think if our Administration falls, the entire country would collapse.

Cat

Well, it's not that disastrous in our country. It just means we're heading for new elections.
The current coalition/cabinet has basically seized to exist, because the PvdA has resigned. That would also imply our country would be without a government, but for the time being the other two coalition parties (CDA and CU) remain in power. However, they aren't allowed to tackle any major issue, such as the Afghanistan mission, or the national budget, or measures regarding our social security system. They're just minding the store, basically.
This has major impact on current affairs. The cabinet had proposed some far-fetching measures re. the state old age pension plan that can not be implemented now. Also, the initial stand of the cabinet on the Afghanistan mission (i.e. withdrawal of all troops) has to be respected now.
This situation will last until a new cabinet has been formed, following national elections (that probably will take place somewhere in June).

Written By: Paul on 02/20/10 at 12:55 pm

Thanks for the explanation, Henk...the headline given by one news agency wasn't too comforting, 'Dutch Government collapses' (!)

This situation will last until a new cabinet has been formed, following national elections (that probably will take place somewhere in June).

Just after ours! (I hope I can stay awake... ::))

Written By: Frank on 02/20/10 at 6:48 pm

Well, it's not that disastrous in our country. It just means we're heading for new elections.
The current coalition/cabinet has basically seized to exist, because the PvdA has resigned. That would also imply our country would be without a government, but for the time being the other two coalition parties (CDA and CU) remain in power. However, they aren't allowed to tackle any major issue, such as the Afghanistan mission, or the national budget, or measures regarding our social security system. They're just minding the store, basically.
This has major impact on current affairs. The cabinet had proposed some far-fetching measures re. the state old age pension plan that can not be implemented now. Also, the initial stand of the cabinet on the Afghanistan mission (i.e. withdrawal of all troops) has to be respected now.

We've had quite a few elections here in the last 5 or 6 years, same results all the time.
Hope everything works out!

Written By: Henk on 02/21/10 at 1:52 am

We've had quite a few elections here in the last 5 or 6 years, same results all the time.
Hope everything works out!

I don't expect to see the same result in Holland this time. CDA will probably be on the losing side, PvdA might also lose but less than CDA. Opposition parties will come out stronger after the elections. CU will neither win nor lose (they have a very loyal following).

Written By: Henk on 03/12/10 at 3:08 pm

Headlines for March 12, 2010

Hans Van Mierlo, Founder Of D66, Dies At 78.

Hans van Mierlo, one of the founders of Dutch political party D66 (Democraten '66 / Democrats '66) died last Thursday. He was 78 years old.
Van Mierlo founded the party out of discontent with political establishment at the time. His charisma and strong leadership took the party to 7 seats in Dutch Lower House following the 1967 elections. He stepped down as a leader after the 1972 elections, and left politics a disillusioned man in 1977.
But when asked, he returned to politics in 1981-1982 as Defense Minister under the Van Agt Administration.
From 1983 to 1986 he was a member of Senate, and subsequently he once again took lead of D66. This lead to successful elections in 1986, 1989 and 1994, where the party eventually ended up at 24 seats, which earned them participation in coalition. Van Mierlo became Minister of Foreign Affairs (Secretary of State) under the Kok Administration (1994 - 1998). One of his darkest hours in those days was the fall of Srebrenica: a city in Bosnia, protected by Dutch forces under UN command, that was supposed to be a safe haven for Muslims, but was taken by Serbian troops in 1995 anyway. This lead to the death of approx. 8000 men and boys, all Muslim.

Following the 1998 elections, Van Mierlo left politics altogether.
In 2002, he was diagnosed with liver cancer. A transplant saved his life, but only for 8 years.
Van Mierlo was married three times, with one son and two daughters.

Wouter Bos, PvdA, Steps Down And Retires

Taking the nation by surprise, PvdA leader Wouter Bos announced his retirement from national politics today. He will not lead the party for the upcoming elections, and is not available for any position in government. Instead, he will be devoting his attention to his wife and three kids.
Bos, 46, lead PvdA since 2002. The 2003 elections went off smoothly for PvdA (42 seats), but 2006 elections were less successful (a drop to 33 seats). Polls showed a dramatic drop in support during 2006 to early 2010, with the party at an all-time low of 10 to 12 seats at one point, but support has risen considerably after the recent break-up of the coalition. As it turned out, that was the last act of Wouter Bos as a party leader.
Bos will most likely be succeeded by Job Cohen.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 03/12/10 at 3:18 pm

What are your political leanings, Henk?

Written By: Henk on 03/12/10 at 4:06 pm

What are your political leanings, Henk?

I'm a member of ChristenUnie (Christian's Union), a small political party that's leaning slightly to the left, and slightly conservative. I'm not opposed to abortion or euthanasia, though. Just not in all cases, regardless.

Written By: Henk on 03/17/10 at 6:03 pm

Headline for March 17, 2010

Missing Girl Mystery Ends In Tears

The search for a 12 year old girl from Dordrecht (near Rotterdam) that went missing for almost a week took a turn for the worse last night, when her body was found buried in a neighbor's garden.
Milly Boele went missing from her parental home while home alone last Wednesday. Shortly before her disappearance she was on the phone talking to her mother, but she ended the conversation saying she had to open the door for a neighbor.
A search and an inquiry among neighbors seemed fruitless at first, but on Tuesday one neighbor stepped forward claiming to have some material information regarding the case. As it turned out later, he confessed having killed the girl. This confession lead to an excavation of the neighbor's garden where the gruesome discovery was made.
The perpetrator, a 26 year old police officer living opposite of his victim, claimed to have taken Milly from her home on Wednesday and killed her the same day. His motives are yet unclear. It is also yet unclear if he has sexually abused the girl.
It goes without saying that these events have caused quite a shock in the neighborhood and in Holland in general.

Written By: ladybug316 on 03/17/10 at 6:33 pm

:\'( Heartbreaking.

Written By: karen on 03/18/10 at 11:44 am

:\'(

Written By: Henk on 03/18/10 at 3:20 pm

:\'( Heartbreaking.

:\'(

We're all speechless. What's really shocking of course is the fact that the perpetrator is a police officer, of all people. Aren't they supposed to do some psychological test/evaluation when they're in training? :-\\ How could this happen?

Written By: karen on 03/18/10 at 8:18 pm

We're all speechless. What's really shocking of course is the fact that the perpetrator is a police officer, of all people.

That makes it worse I think

Written By: Henk on 03/19/10 at 11:52 am

That makes it worse I think

To serve and protect... NOT!

An investigation regarding the officer's screening is in process. Too little too late, of course.

Written By: philbo on 03/25/10 at 8:21 am

I don't mean to sound callous, but it happens: screening can't find all the potentially rotten apples.

It's something that annoys me over here, the continual "why wasn't something done?", "how did we let this happen?" etc. ad nauseam whenever anything bad happens.  So few people seem to accept that when somebody does something bad, the only person to blame is the perpetrator.

Written By: danootaandme on 03/25/10 at 8:40 am

What are they saying over there about the Healthcare Brouhaha over here?

Written By: philbo on 03/25/10 at 10:32 am

A lot about how Obama's credibility seems to be riding on it passing.. far more talk of that sort of politicking than detail about what's actually been agreed.  Though it does seem to me that what's actually been agreed has been tweaked and tweaked until it's inoffensive enough to get just about enough votes to pass rather than being a good bill.  Still, I am aware that to change it to give a decent, reasonably-priced healthcare system would probably have been a step too far for anyone in any way connected with lobby funding </cynic>

There's also been quite a bit of coverage of some of the more, er, loony of the right-wing opposition.  At least, I hope it's the extreme lunatic fringe.. if not, you guys have got some serious trouble coming up.

Written By: danootaandme on 03/27/10 at 5:35 am

A lot about how Obama's credibility seems to be riding on it passing.. far more talk of that sort of politicking than detail about what's actually been agreed.  Though it does seem to me that what's actually been agreed has been tweaked and tweaked until it's inoffensive enough to get just about enough votes to pass rather than being a good bill.  Still, I am aware that to change it to give a decent, reasonably-priced healthcare system would probably have been a step too far for anyone in any way connected with lobby funding </cynic>

There's also been quite a bit of coverage of some of the more, er, loony of the right-wing opposition.  At least, I hope it's the extreme lunatic fringe.. if not, you guys have got some serious trouble coming up.

We do seem to have some serious trouble brewing.  Loony right-wing opposition is becoming the norm for the right wing.

Written By: Henk on 03/27/10 at 7:33 am

I don't mean to sound callous, but it happens: screening can't find all the potentially rotten apples.

It's something that annoys me over here, the continual "why wasn't something done?", "how did we let this happen?" etc. ad nauseam whenever anything bad happens.  So few people seem to accept that when somebody does something bad, the only person to blame is the perpetrator.

Yes, ultimately the perpetrator is the one to blame, I agree. But that doesn't mean to say it couldn't have been prevented, if appropriate actions were taken. Water under the bridge, I know, and it doesn't bring Milly back to life.
Let's just hope screening procedures will be adjusted accordingly. We can't afford having more people like him working in the law enforcement sector.

What are they saying over there about the Healthcare Brouhaha over here?

I don't think "we" have a real opinion, seeing that it doesn't really affect us. We've had our own healthcare reform bill a couple of years ago. Gave some stir, but all is quiet on that front now. Same will happen in US, if you ask me. Give it a few years, and nobody will crave for the old system anymore.
My humble opinion: why would anyone think it's okay to spend billions of dollars on a war that can't be won in some distant country that nobody actually cares about, when 30 million of Americans can't even afford something as basic as health care? ...But that's America for you.
And this discussion probably shouldn't be in this thread anyway.

Written By: Henk on 04/14/10 at 3:30 pm

Headline for April 14, 2010

Dune Fire Threatens Coastal Village, 450 Evacuated

A dune fire that started late in the afternoon today is threatening the coastal village of Bergen aan Zee (ca. 45 km northwest of Amsterdam). All 450 inhabitants were told to evacuate before the night. Further news to follow.

Written By: philbo on 04/15/10 at 2:46 am

Dune fire?

..must have been one of those pesky sandworms

Written By: Henk on 04/15/10 at 1:38 pm

Headline for April 14, 2010

Dune Fire Threatens Coastal Village, 450 Evacuated

A dune fire that started late in the afternoon today is threatening the coastal village of Bergen aan Zee (ca. 45 km northwest of Amsterdam). All 450 inhabitants were told to evacuate before the night. Further news to follow.

Inhabitants could return to their homes by 00:30, and fire was under control by the early morning. So thankfully it didn't turn into anything major.

A new fire started today, but it's not as dangerous as Wednesday's fire.

Written By: Henk on 04/16/10 at 4:32 pm

Dune fire?

..must have been one of those pesky sandworms

If there's a joke here it's gone way over my head. :-\\

Written By: ladybug316 on 04/17/10 at 10:27 pm

Have they been able to get the second fire under control, Henk?

Written By: Henk on 04/18/10 at 1:04 am

Have they been able to get the second fire under control, Henk?

Yes, fires are under control. It's gonna take a few more days before they're extinguished completely, though. Below the surface there's still some smouldering.

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/18/10 at 10:42 am

Henk,

Do you guys have much volcanic dust settling on cars/houses etc? ???

Written By: Henk on 04/18/10 at 11:23 am

Henk,

Do you guys have much volcanic dust settling on cars/houses etc? ???

Not as far as I know. Concentrations in the air are too low to cause any real problems on the ground.

Written By: philbo on 04/19/10 at 4:44 am

If there's a joke here it's gone way over my head. :-\\

Ah.. not a Sci Fi aficionado?  One of these: Sandworms of Dune

Written By: Henk on 04/19/10 at 1:26 pm

Ah.. not a Sci Fi aficionado?  One of these: Sandworms of Dune

Only to some extent. I don't remember seeing Dune (though I'm sure it's been on here too), so that explains.

Written By: philbo on 04/19/10 at 2:03 pm

I haven't seen the films, either.. but I've read a load of the books: the first one is a classic.. I guess the rest aren't bad, but when put against Dune they're a bit mediocre.

Written By: Henk on 04/21/10 at 1:23 pm

Headline for April 21, 2010

Teens Suspected Of Creating Child Porn

Four minors (aged 13, 13, 15 and 17 respectively) are suspected of creating child pornography and probably spreading it via the internet.
Put up to it by the 15 year old (a girl), the four allegedly pressed two 5 year olds to undress and perform acts of a sexual nature. They then filmed it with their mobile phones. It is yet uncertain if the images were also uploaded to the internet.

Written By: Henk on 04/22/10 at 12:38 pm

Headline for April 21, 2010

Teens Suspected Of Creating Child Porn

Four minors (aged 13, 13, 15 and 17 respectively) are suspected of creating child pornography and probably spreading it via the internet.
Put up to it by the 15 year old (a girl), the four allegedly pressed two 5 year olds to undress and perform acts of a sexual nature. They then filmed it with their mobile phones. It is yet uncertain if the images were also uploaded to the internet.

Wow. No comments at all. That's even more shocking than the newsflash itself.

Written By: Henk on 05/04/10 at 3:17 pm

Headline for May 4, 2010

Troublemakers Cause Panic At National Remembrance

The two minute silence during the annual National Remembrance on the Dam, in the town center of Amsterdam, was brutally disrupted earlier this evening when a man caused disturbance among the crowd. According to latest reports he raised his arms and started to shout in a non distinct language. While several bystanders were busy silencing him, another man allegedly dropped a suitcase or briefcase. This caused serious panic amongst bystanders, who fled in various directions. People were pushed over, others were forced into crush barriers that luckily gave way. Queen Beatrix, Prince Willem-Alexander, Princess Maxima and their following, also present at the remembrance, were hastily escorted to a save place off of the Dam.
The troublemakers were swiftly handed over to the police. After that, peace returned and the remembrance proceeded as scheduled, with the royals again present.
Latest reports mention of approximately 25 people injured, none of which seriously.

Images of the events:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEdfRvm6GWQ

Written By: karen on 05/04/10 at 3:27 pm

Good job no one was seriously injured.

were the two working together or was it a coincidence?

Written By: Henk on 05/04/10 at 3:31 pm

Good job no one was seriously injured.

were the two working together or was it a coincidence?

We don't know yet. It's only been two and a half hours.

Written By: Henk on 05/05/10 at 1:29 pm

OK, so here's the story.

At approx. 8:01PM a man, dressed as an orthodox Jew, started mumbling in a prayer like way. When people around him urged him to be quiet (as not to disrupt the 2 minute silence) he instead uttered a cry-like shout that could be heard throughout the crowd. Notice the guy in the video abruptly turning his head at approx. 0:24.
The cry alarmed people and caused a panic among bystanders, one of which dropped his briefcase. Some people (including plain-clothes policemen) rushed in to overpower the troublemaker, while others fled in various directions (as can be seen in the video).
The man, a 39-year old Dutchman, has been in trouble with the police in the past several times, for minor offenses. It is unclear what his motives are/were as he appeared to be in a disturbed state of mind at the time. He is held in custody until Friday (at least) and faces charges of disrupting the order and (indirectly) causing physical harm. Around 50 people were injured, mostly superficially but some people suffered bone fractures.

Written By: ladybug316 on 05/06/10 at 6:41 pm

I haven't been here for a while, Henk, sorry.  You know I'm always interested in the goings-on of Holland.

What is being done about the child pornographers?  I'm sure they're too young to serve jail time.  Was is ever made clear if they were able to load those images to the internet?

As to the ruckus in the crowd, was this man an orthodox Jew?  There is a way that they pray called davening (sp?) where they chant a prayer and rock back and forth in a trance-like state.  What's the latest?

Written By: Henk on 05/07/10 at 1:36 pm

I haven't been here for a while, Henk, sorry.  You know I'm always interested in the goings-on of Holland.

What is being done about the child pornographers?  I'm sure they're too young to serve jail time.  Was is ever made clear if they were able to load those images to the internet?

I've not heard or seen any updates on this subject. I only know that the oldest girl (of 17) * may * be trialed as an adult.
I can only assume that parties involved try to keep things from the public eye as much as possible, for obvious reasons.

As to the ruckus in the crowd, was this man an orthodox Jew?  There is a way that they pray called davening (sp?) where they chant a prayer and rock back and forth in a trance-like state.  What's the latest?

The man was/is not an orthodox Jew. He was only dressed as one. Latest is that he will also be charged for what is known as 'assaulting the king' (or, in this case, the queen), in addition to facing charges of disturbing the order and inflicting (serious) bodily harm.
Not 50, but 63 people were injured in the events that followed the man's cry. One even fractured his pelvis.

Written By: Henk on 05/13/10 at 8:40 am

Headline for May 13, 2010

Airplane Crash In Libya Kills 70 Dutch

Dutch government officials have announced that most likely 70 Dutch were killed in the airplane crash that happened in Libya yesterday.
Initial reports mentioned 61 Dutch victims, but further investigations of the passenger list revealed an even more gruesome truth.
In the crash, all but one of the 103 people aboard were killed. The sole survivor is a 9-year old Dutch boy, who miraculously escaped with trauma to the head and legs. His identity has been confirmed by his aunt and uncle, who were flown in to accompany him in the hospital.
Both black boxes have been recovered from the wreckage and investigations to reveal the cause of the crash are underway.

Written By: philbo on 05/13/10 at 11:32 am

I thought of you when I heard that story on the news.. must be pretty high profile down there.  Still nothing on what caused it?

Written By: Henk on 05/13/10 at 1:11 pm

I thought of you when I heard that story on the news.. must be pretty high profile down there.  Still nothing on what caused it?

It is one of the worst air plane crashes that our country has suffered, victim wise. The worst we suffered was 248 in 1977, Tenerife - a black day in aviation history.

Nothing new on what caused it, no.

Written By: ladybug316 on 05/13/10 at 9:00 pm

Heartbreaking news, Henk.  I too, thought of you upon hearing this.  A true tragedy  :\'(

Written By: Henk on 05/15/10 at 9:10 am

Headline for May 13, 2010

Airplane Crash In Libya Kills 70 Dutch

Dutch government officials have announced that most likely 70 Dutch were killed in the airplane crash that happened in Libya yesterday.
Initial reports mentioned 61 Dutch victims, but further investigations of the passenger list revealed an even more gruesome truth.
In the crash, all but one of the 103 people aboard were killed. The sole survivor is a 9-year old Dutch boy, who miraculously escaped with trauma to the head and legs. His identity has been confirmed by his aunt and uncle, who were flown in to accompany him in the hospital.
Both black boxes have been recovered from the wreckage and investigations to reveal the cause of the crash are underway.

No news on the cause.

The surviving boy is flown to The Netherlands today. He lost his parents and 11-year old brother in the crash.
A leading Dutch newspaper printed an interview with the boy yesterday. Needless to say this caused quite a stir, as many people think this is way beyond the line. But the damage is done...

Written By: Henk on 08/01/10 at 12:46 am

A 59 year old swim instructor, who has been instructing intellectually handicapped or hydrophobic children for 18 years, has turned out to be a sexual offender. Police have found nearly 100,000 photos along with video material on his computers, showing 98 different girls in the age of approximately 6 to 16, alone or with the suspect, in various sexually explicit poses. All footage appears to have been shot by the suspect himself, in or around the swimming pool where he was employed.
None of the footage shows evidence that the suspect has had intercourse with any of his victims, but that doesn't mean to say it didn't happen. It is also unclear for exactly how long these practices have been going on, and if the 98 girls on the photos and videos are the only victims.

Update on this story:

Recently, the swim instructor has been sentenced to seven years in prison. Prosecution has filed for appeal.

Written By: Henk on 08/01/10 at 12:54 am

Headlines for 12 - 20 December, 2009

14-Year Old Lost And Found

One of the most remarkable stories of the past few days is the story of 14-year old Laura Dekker. She was reported missing by her parents last Friday, only to resurface on Sunday... on the island of St. Martin in the Caribbean!! It is yet unknown what the girl's motives are to fly to the island. Reportedly she withdrew 3,500 euro from her own savings account.
Laura Dekker, whose parents are divorced, already made headlines earlier this year, when she was still only 13 and planned to sail the world solo (thus becoming the youngest sailor to achieve this). She had her father's consent, but her mother wasn't sure. Child Welfare intervened and took the case to court. Judge ruled that, although she was probably able to manage physically, her trip was ill-prepared and she needed to be evaluated emotionally and mentally. Subsequently she was placed under custody of Child Welfare for a 6 month period, after which a re-evaluation would take place. Laura continued to live with her father, until she ran away last Thursday.
Running away is never a smart thing to do, and it sure isn't helping her case.

Update in the ongoing story of Laura Dekker:

After a six months evaluation, custody has been lifted and Laura is free to go and do what she deems right (all within the boundaries of the law and with her parents' approval, of course).
The 14-year old has announced she plans to set off and sail the world solo within two weeks after the ruling. That was about a week ago.

Written By: Henk on 08/04/10 at 1:34 pm

Update in the ongoing story of Laura Dekker:

After a six months evaluation, custody has been lifted and Laura is free to go and do what she deems right (all within the boundaries of the law and with her parents' approval, of course).
The 14-year old has announced she plans to set off and sail the world solo within two weeks after the ruling. That was about a week ago.

And just in case anyone's interested:

Today Laura has set sail for Portugal where she will spend a couple of weeks to get used to her boat etc.
After that, her first stop will be the Canaries. She will harbor there for several weeks/months until the end of the hurricane season. She is expected to set sail for the Atlantic no sooner than by late November/early December.

Written By: ladybug316 on 08/04/10 at 5:48 pm

:( I'm in support of all of my daughter's efforts within reason!  This is not reasonable to me.  I wish her luck on her journey, though.

Written By: Don Carlos on 08/05/10 at 10:47 am

Today Laura has set sail for Portugal where she will spend a couple of weeks to get used to her boat etc.
After that, her first stop will be the Canaries. She will harbor there for several weeks/months until the end of the hurricane season. She is expected to set sail for the Atlantic no sooner than by late November/early December.

Can I assume she will take the eastern rout around the Cape of Good Hope?  The Straights of Magellan are hell even in summer. In any case, good luck to her, more guts than I'll ever have.

Written By: Henk on 08/05/10 at 2:52 pm

:( I'm in support of all of my daughter's efforts within reason!  This is not reasonable to me.  I wish her luck on her journey, though.

I wish her luck as well. She'll be needing it. I'm not sure if I would support her if she were my daughter. :-\\

Can I assume she will take the eastern rout around the Cape of Good Hope?  The Straights of Magellan are hell even in summer. In any case, good luck to her, more guts than I'll ever have.

No, she won't be rounding Cape of Good Hope. She'll cross the Atlantic and pass through the Panama Canal. At least, that's the plan.

FYI: she won't be sailing non stop. Her journey will take approximately two years in total.

Written By: Don Carlos on 08/06/10 at 11:07 am

I wish her luck as well. She'll be needing it. I'm not sure if I would support her if she were my daughter. :-\\

No, she won't be rounding Cape of Good Hope. She'll cross the Atlantic and pass through the Panama Canal. At least, that's the plan.

FYI: she won't be sailing non stop. Her journey will take approximately two years in total.

Smart girl

Written By: Henk on 08/07/10 at 1:18 am

Smart girl

She'll still be the youngest ever to sail the world solo by the time she finishes. Until somebody else comes along, of course.

Written By: Henk on 08/07/10 at 1:30 am

Headline for August 4, 2010

Woman, 25, Suspected Of Killing Her Four Babies

A 25-year old woman from the Frisian hamlet of Nij Beets is suspected of killing her 4 newborn babies. Their bodies were discovered hidden in suitcases in the attic of the young woman's house. According to police sources, the oldest baby was born in 2002, the youngest in early 2010. All four died at birth or shortly after, but it's not yet clear as to what causes.
Most people that knew the woman weren't even aware of her pregnancies, while others (including her employer) were lead to believe she had given the babies up for adoption. Even her parents, who were living at the same address, had no clue.

Written By: ladybug316 on 08/07/10 at 1:57 pm

:\'( Nobody knew?  Not even her parents in the same house?  What the hell?

Written By: Henk on 08/08/10 at 12:52 am

:\'( Nobody knew?  Not even her parents in the same house?  What the hell?

It is really really sad, I agree. But I guess these things happen in the U.S. as well.

And one more intriguing point: where's the father(s) in this story? :-\\

Written By: Henk on 08/14/10 at 12:57 am

A 25-year old woman from the Frisian hamlet of Nij Beets is suspected of killing her 4 newborn babies. Their bodies were discovered hidden in suitcases in the attic of the young woman's house. According to police sources, the oldest baby was born in 2002, the youngest in early 2010. All four died at birth or shortly after, but it's not yet clear as to what causes.
Most people that knew the woman weren't even aware of her pregnancies, while others (including her employer) were lead to believe she had given the babies up for adoption. Even her parents, who were living at the same address, had no clue.

The woman in question has admitted she killed all of her four babies. No other details are released to the press so far.

Written By: Don Carlos on 08/14/10 at 9:46 am

She must be a psychopath

Written By: Henk on 08/15/10 at 12:59 am

She must be a psychopath

We don't know yet, but it's pretty obvious something's wrong with her.

Written By: Henk on 08/15/10 at 1:02 am

Update on the Laura Dekker story:

She has safely reached Portugal. On this first part of her trip she was still being accompanied by her father, but from now on she'll be sailing solo. She is expected to set sail for the Canaries in about a week.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/22/10 at 5:32 am

Laura Dekker sets sail hoping to become the youngest person to sail alone around the world, according to her manager.

Written By: ladybug316 on 08/22/10 at 2:40 pm

Update on the Laura Dekker story:

She has safely reached Portugal. On this first part of her trip she was still being accompanied by her father, but from now on she'll be sailing solo. She is expected to set sail for the Canaries in about a week.

Does it say anything about her missing school for 2 years? 

Written By: Henk on 09/04/10 at 1:11 pm

Does it say anything about her missing school for 2 years? 

I understand she's going to be educated via internet/satellite communication.

Written By: Henk on 09/06/10 at 3:57 am

Headlines over the past few weeks

Former Olympic Champion Anton Geesink Dies

Judoka Anton Geesink, winner of the gold medal (open category) at the 1964 Olympic Games in Tokyo, has died at the age of 76 after a short sickbed. Geesink, twice a world champion, also won the European title a record 21 times. Following his career in judo, he became a member of the IOC in 1987, and has remained ever since until his death on August 27.
His victory over Akio Kaminagi in the Olympic final of 1964 earned him great fame and respect, especially in Japan. Geesink was one of only 18 people to receive the 10th Dan.

COBRA-founder Corneille Dies

Dutch painter Corneille has died at the age of 88. Corneille (born Guillaume Cornelis Beverloo) was one of the founding members of the famous COBRA-group. His paintings are characterized by the use of bright colors and abstract, child-like shapes. Unlike other members of said group, he had little problems with his works used for commercial purposes (such as mugs, biro's, placemats and the like).
Of the founding members of COBRA, only Joseph Noiret is still alive today.

Femme Masquée (by Corneille)

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/2/17/785141/Corneille-zd-femme-masque-e.jpg

Written By: ladybug316 on 09/06/10 at 8:38 am

I understand she's going to be educated via internet/satellite communication.

:-\\

Written By: Henk on 09/06/10 at 9:58 am

:-\\

What I meant to say is that she'll be following classes via satellite communication on her computer. So she won't be attending regular school, but she won't be skipping school either.

Written By: ladybug316 on 09/06/10 at 5:47 pm

What I meant to say is that she'll be following classes via satellite communication on her computer. So she won't be attending regular school, but she won't be skipping school either.

I understood your meaning, I'm just not digging that approach to school!

Written By: Henk on 09/07/10 at 4:47 am

I understood your meaning, I'm just not digging that approach to school!

Ah, I see. I share your concern, but only time can tell who's right and who's wrong.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/19/10 at 11:55 am

A British man of Somali origin has been arrested at Amsterdam's Schiphol airport on suspicion of being a terrorist, Dutch prosecutors say.

Written By: Henk on 10/09/10 at 1:13 pm

Not a lot of big things happening here.

Laura Dekker has safely reached the Azores, where she will stay until storm season is over (early November).

Tomorrow (10/10/10) will see the end of the Dutch Antilles. Curaçao and St. Martin will be granted independence within the Kingdom of The Netherlands, while Saba, St. Eustatius and Bonaire will become special municipalities of The Netherlands.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/21/10 at 7:52 am

Dutch singers, painters and TV presenters have demonstrated in the Netherlands against government plans to slash arts funding.

Written By: Henk on 11/27/10 at 10:39 am

Dutch singers, painters and TV presenters have demonstrated in the Netherlands against government plans to slash arts funding.

I wish I had something significant to say on the matter. But I don't. :-\\ I'm one of those people that rarely go to cinema, theatre, concerts, musea and the like.

Written By: Henk on 11/27/10 at 10:44 am

Headline for March 17, 2010

Missing Girl Mystery Ends In Tears

The search for a 12 year old girl from Dordrecht (near Rotterdam) that went missing for almost a week took a turn for the worse last night, when her body was found buried in a neighbor's garden.
Milly Boele went missing from her parental home while home alone last Wednesday. Shortly before her disappearance she was on the phone talking to her mother, but she ended the conversation saying she had to open the door for a neighbor.
A search and an inquiry among neighbors seemed fruitless at first, but on Tuesday one neighbor stepped forward claiming to have some material information regarding the case. As it turned out later, he confessed having killed the girl. This confession lead to an excavation of the neighbor's garden where the gruesome discovery was made.
The perpetrator, a 26 year old police officer living opposite of his victim, claimed to have taken Milly from her home on Wednesday and killed her the same day. His motives are yet unclear. It is also yet unclear if he has sexually abused the girl.
It goes without saying that these events have caused quite a shock in the neighborhood and in Holland in general.

Update on the story:

This week, the perpetrator was sentenced to 18 years imprisonement and preventive detention (the latter can easily last for 10 years or more).

Written By: ladybug316 on 11/27/10 at 11:12 am

Good to know there will be some justice!  Thanks for the follow-up, Henk.

Written By: Henk on 11/27/10 at 11:15 am

Good to know there will be some justice!  Thanks for the follow-up, Henk.

Well, the demand was 25 years imprisonement...

Good to know people are still following this thread (even though I don't post as much as I used to). ;)

Written By: ladybug316 on 11/27/10 at 11:48 am

Personally, I cannot imagine EVER letting him out, but as I said, at least it's some justice.

Written By: Henk on 03/29/11 at 2:40 pm

Headline for March 29, 2011

Schoolgirl (12) Gives Birth To Healthy Son

Last week, a 12-year old girl from Groningen gave birth to a healthy baby boy while on a school outing. The girl complained of heavy cramps, but it soon became clear that it was more serious than just that. Alarmed paramedics had to assist in delivering the baby. Both mother and son were rushed to hospital, where they still remain.
No one was aware the young girl was pregnant - and that includes the girl herself. The young mother and her son, as well as her classmates and teachers,  are receiving extensive support.

According to official sources, 40 Dutch girls aged 15 or under gave birth to a child in 2009.

Written By: Henk on 03/30/11 at 5:36 am

No one was aware the young girl was pregnant

Well, come to think of it: how's a 12-year old even supposed to know?  :-\\ I don't blame her for not knowing.

I do wonder about her getting pregnant in the first place, though. Was it 'just a game', or was she fully aware?

Written By: Don Carlos on 03/30/11 at 9:06 am

Well, come to think of it: how's a 12-year old even supposed to know?  :-\\ I don't blame her for not knowing.

I do wonder about her getting pregnant in the first place, though. Was it 'just a game', or was she fully aware?

I don't know about sex ed in Holland, but I can tell you that by age twelve my three daughters knew where babies come from, and how they got there.

Written By: karen on 03/30/11 at 10:20 am

I don't know about sex ed in Holland, but I can tell you that by age twelve my three daughters knew where babies come from, and how they got there.

I think my daughter knows where and how babies are made, but she might not know exactly what 'symptoms' a woman has to show she might be pregnant.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/30/11 at 3:35 pm

This day (March 30th) in 1991, the Last issue of Dutch Newspaper "Vr˜e Folk" (Free People) was published.

Written By: Henk on 03/30/11 at 3:56 pm

I think my daughter knows where and how babies are made, but she might not know exactly what 'symptoms' a woman has to show she might be pregnant.

I don't know anything about sex ed in my country nowadays. I do remember getting some education on the subject in biology class, but by then I was like 15/16 years old. Maybe things have changed, I couldn't tell (and I'm afraid to ask my nieces or nephew!).

But I suppose it's quite possible the girl has had sex ed. and she knew what she was doing when she was doing it, I'm not arguing that.
That said: gaining weight and developing breasts are also symptoms of (early) pubesence (if you're a girl). So she didn't have her period...? Wouldn't she have noticed that? Well, I'm no expert on the subject, but given that she was only 12...she might have been under the impression that she was still waiting for her first period. We don't know all the details.

Written By: karen on 03/30/11 at 4:37 pm

But I suppose it's quite possible the girl has had sex ed. and she knew what she was doing when she was doing it, I'm not arguing that.
That said: gaining weight and developing breasts are also symptoms of (early) pubesence (if you're a girl). So she didn't have her period...? Wouldn't she have noticed that? Well, I'm no expert on the subject, but given that she was only 12...she might have been under the impression that she was still waiting for her first period. We don't know all the details.

that's what I was meaning. 

The youngest person I know of having a baby was 13 when the baby was born so she might have been 12 when she became pregnant.  It was the older sister of someone at school and it wasn't much talked about at the time.  I know that her mum was going to bring up the child so she could go back to school.

Written By: Henk on 03/31/11 at 12:09 am

that's what I was meaning. 

I'm glad we agree.

The youngest person I know of having a baby was 13 when the baby was born so she might have been 12 when she became pregnant.  It was the older sister of someone at school and it wasn't much talked about at the time.  I know that her mum was going to bring up the child so she could go back to school.

I know youth care workers are already on the case of the 12-year old (of course). It's highly unlikely she will bring up her own child.
And as we know nothing about her background, I can't asses if her mother would be fit to bring up the child (assuming she wanted to).

Written By: Don Carlos on 03/31/11 at 10:27 am

Yeah, I guess you guys are right.

Written By: Henk on 04/01/11 at 12:17 am

The case of the 12-year old girl is officially a vice case, as it turns out the child was conceived when the girl was only 11 years old.
Apparently, sex with anyone under the age of 12 is illegal in our country.

Which came as quite a shock to me, because this implies that having sex with anyone ages 12 to 16 is NOT illegal...? :-\\

Written By: karen on 04/01/11 at 8:30 am

The case of the 12-year old girl is officially a vice case, as it turns out the child was conceived when the girl was only 11 years old.
Apparently, sex with anyone under the age of 12 is illegal in our country.

Which came as quite a shock to me, because this implies that having sex with anyone ages 12 to 16 is NOT illegal...? :-\\

There is perhaps some subtlety of the law, such as under 12 is always illegal and between 12 and 16 it depends on the age of the other person (so sex between two 15 year-olds wouldn't be illegal)  Or some difference between criminal or civil law, so sentencing or courts used may be different.

does any of that make sense?  I know what I'm trying to say but I'm not sure I'm making sense!

Written By: Don Carlos on 04/01/11 at 10:48 am

There is perhaps some subtlety of the law, such as under 12 is always illegal and between 12 and 16 it depends on the age of the other person (so sex between two 15 year-olds wouldn't be illegal)  Or some difference between criminal or civil law, so sentencing or courts used may be different.

does any of that make sense?  I know what I'm trying to say but I'm not sure I'm making sense!

Yes, it makes sense.  Here in VT no one under 16 can consent, but I don't know how the law handles sex between two teens

Written By: Henk on 04/01/11 at 1:29 pm

Yeah, it does make sense, and I think you're right. But this subtlety was left out of the internet article I was reading, which may lead people to drawing totally wrong conclusions.

Written By: Henk on 04/05/11 at 3:31 pm

This case just gets worse and worse...

The father of the baby (a girl, btw - not a boy as mentioned earlier) is also the father of the 12-year old girl/mother. :\'( 8-P

Written By: Don Carlos on 04/06/11 at 10:10 am

This case just gets worse and worse...

The father of the baby (a girl, btw - not a boy as mentioned earlier) is also the father of the 12-year old girl/mother. :\'( 8-P

Now that's sick

Written By: Henk on 04/07/11 at 12:23 am

Now that's sick

Exactly.

The house where the family (father, 12-year old daughter and younger son) lived had been subject to vandalism over the past week, but it's been cleared out yesterday on request of the police.
Apparently, the mother of the 12-year old moved out quite some time ago.

Written By: Henk on 04/07/11 at 3:37 pm

The father has confessed in abusing his daughter. He now faces a 12-year prison sentence (max).

What's REALLY sad is he had already been convicted for the same crime with another daughter in 1995. :(

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/09/11 at 9:11 am

At least six people have been killed and several others wounded by a gunman in the Netherlands town of Alphen aan den Rijn, Dutch media say.

Another 16 people were wounded in the shootings at a shopping centre in the town, 21km (13 miles) south-west of Amsterdam.

It is not clear what prompted the shooting.

One witness said the attacker had a machine gun. A local government statement said he was also dead.

"The mall has been cleared and a wide area around it is cordoned off," the statement said.

Written By: Henk on 04/09/11 at 12:57 pm

At least six people have been killed and several others wounded by a gunman in the Netherlands town of Alphen aan den Rijn, Dutch media say.

Another 16 people were wounded in the shootings at a shopping centre in the town, 21km (13 miles) south-west of Amsterdam.

It is not clear what prompted the shooting.

One witness said the attacker had a machine gun. A local government statement said he was also dead.

"The mall has been cleared and a wide area around it is cordoned off," the statement said.

'Tis true. :\'( A man dressed in what's described as camouflage battledress shot at random with a machine gun. Death toll has risen to seven. I believe this includes the shooter, who took his own life in a supermarket in the shopping mall.
I've no further details at this point.

Written By: Henk on 04/11/11 at 5:51 am

The shooter was a 24-year old troubled man by the name of Tristan van der Vlis.

He had a brush with authority some 8 years ago for illegal possesion of a gun, but he since got a permit. He was also diagnosed with suicidal tendencies and insitutionalized for ten days about 4 years ago. Still his permit was prolonged...  :-\\

Written By: ladybug316 on 04/11/11 at 7:32 am

How awful  :\'(

Written By: Henk on 04/19/11 at 5:31 am

Update on this story:

Trial against the mother has started today. She smothered all of her four babies shortly after birth (the first one with a pillow, the others using nothing but her bare hands).

Written By: Henk on 05/03/11 at 2:55 pm

Update on this story:

Trial against the mother has started today. She smothered all of her four babies shortly after birth (the first one with a pillow, the others using nothing but her bare hands).

The demand is 12 years imprisonment.

Written By: karen on 05/03/11 at 3:34 pm

Is there an option for her to 'get away with it' through being declared mentally ill?

Written By: Henk on 05/06/11 at 1:16 pm

Is there an option for her to 'get away with it' through being declared mentally ill?

She'll never get away with it. Maybe she won't be doing prison time, but she'll still be facing an entrustment order.

Written By: karen on 05/07/11 at 2:39 pm

She'll never get away with it. Maybe she won't be doing prison time, but she'll still be facing an entrustment order.

What is one of those?

Written By: Henk on 08/10/11 at 5:41 am

What is one of those?

In short: she'll probably be spending the rest of her life in a mental facility.

Written By: Henk on 08/10/11 at 5:46 am

I keep forgetting to update this thread...

Laura Dekker has safely reached the Azores, where she will stay until storm season is over (early November).

Laura Dekker is still sailing the world seas. I believe by now she has safely reached Tonga...or was it Vanuatu? Well, one of the island nations in the Pacific, anyway.

Written By: Don Carlos on 08/10/11 at 10:24 am

I keep forgetting to update this thread...

Laura Dekker is still sailing the world seas. I believe by now she has safely reached Tonga...or was it Vanuatu? Well, one of the island nations in the Pacific, anyway.

Good for her, more guts than I've got

Written By: Henk on 11/17/11 at 6:37 am

UPDATE

The demand is 12 years imprisonment.

And that's the verdict as well.

In short: she'll probably be spending the rest of her life in a mental facility.

Not happening... The woman has refused any psychiatric examination.

Written By: karen on 11/18/11 at 3:48 pm

So she's been put in a regular prison?

Written By: Henk on 11/18/11 at 4:00 pm

So she's been put in a regular prison?

Yes, that's where she'll end up.

Written By: Henk on 12/05/11 at 10:50 am

Not really happening in Holland, but still...

Johannes Heesters turned 108 today. The oldest living artist (singer/actor) is STILL performing. :o

Written By: Henk on 12/24/11 at 12:23 pm

Today in Starnberg (Germany)...

Johannes Heesters (108) has died. The Dutch singer/actor was believed to be the oldest living performer, with a career that spans no less than 90 years. He was much loved in his adopted home country Germany, where he lived and worked since 1935, but virtually ignored in his birth country The Netherlands because of his controversial behavior during WWII. On invitation, he performed for Adolf Hitler and also visited Dachau concentration camp, where he performed for the German soldiers. Heesters always denied the accusations, despite the presence of proof.
His return to the Dutch stage at the age of 104 in his birth town of Amersfoort was similarly controversial, but passed without any incidents.
As it turned out, it was to be his final appearance on a Dutch stage.
Heesters is outlived by his second wife Simone Rethel, two daughters, five grandchildren, eleven great-grandchildren and three great-great-grandchildren.

Written By: ladybug316 on 12/24/11 at 2:58 pm

Wow!  He just HAD to squeeze one last birthday in!  ;D

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/24/11 at 4:58 pm

Today in Starnberg (Germany)...

Johannes Heesters (108) has died. The Dutch singer/actor was believed to be the oldest living performer, with a career that spans no less than 90 years. He was much loved in his adopted home country Germany, where he lived and worked since 1935, but virtually ignored in his birth country The Netherlands because of his controversial behavior during WWII. On invitation, he performed for Adolf Hitler and also visited Dachau concentration camp, where he performed for the German soldiers. Heesters always denied the accusations, despite the presence of proof.
His return to the Dutch stage at the age of 104 in his birth town of Amersfoort was similarly controversial, but passed without any incidents.
As it turned out, it was to be his final appearance on a Dutch stage.
Heesters is outlived by his second wife Simone Rethel, two daughters, five grandchildren, eleven great-grandchildren and three great-great-grandchildren.

I imagine when he crossed into the afterlife, thousands of Dachau victims kicked his ass.

Check for new replies or respond here...