» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: ATTN: STATE OF VIRGINIA, LISTEN UP...STOP LISTENING!!!

Written By: saver on 07/20/08 at 6:51 am

Does anyone know who to contact to enact the NO PHONE TALKING WHILE DRIVING law in Virginia????

Just recently got word a reletive got 'hit' by a mature driver who was still talking on the phone after hitting my relative?

Yes, distracted and a fool!

I'm in CA where the law went into effect Jul. 1 for that exact reason...I want to be part of the list to enact it in all states...also know people in OHIO who encountered fools
leaving a drivethru, blocking the exit as they dialed away...

Someone must know the steps to getting word to the right office without a petition...

And other than a fine, perhaps the authorities should place a CANNOT USE limit on the ones who are involved in hitting another while on the phone.   

Thanks for the input....

Subject: Re: ATTN: STATE OF VIRGINIA, LISTEN UP...STOP LISTENING!!!

Written By: Macphisto on 07/20/08 at 11:30 am

I would assume it's just a matter of contacting the applicable state senator or state house member to get some traction on the issue.

I'm pretty surprised you would support this law though.  Typically, this is viewed as a liberal policy.  Mostly only blue states have enacted this kind of law (New York being one of them).  Granted, I also agree with it.

Written By: Don Carlos on 07/20/08 at 11:34 am

I also agree with these laws.  Why anyone has to talk and drive at the same time is a mystery to me.  Come to think about it, seems to me the extensive and pervasive use of cell phones is a bit ridiculous.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/20/08 at 12:29 pm

I also agree. There have been numerous times where I was so close to being involved in an auto accident due to someone else talking on their cell phone. The worst though...is when someone is driving and texting at the same time. >:( ::)

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 07/20/08 at 12:52 pm

More and more states are banning hand held cell phone use in cars.  Even some of the most experienced drivers are at a disadvantage when trying to do both.  I see nothing wrong with pulling to the side of the road if you have to talk.  What is more of a hazard is texting while driving.  It pretty bad when technology takes place of considering the safety of yourself and others.

Written By: Dagwood on 07/20/08 at 1:32 pm

I don't thing of this as a liberal/conservative issue, it is a common sense issue.  These laws should be enacted anywhere.

I hope your relative is ok, Saver.

Written By: saver on 07/20/08 at 3:17 pm

I don't thing of this as a liberal/conservative issue, it is a common sense issue.  These laws should be enacted anywhere.

I hope your relative is ok, Saver.

Thanks, my advice was to get a good personal injury lawyer on it as the victim was already recovering from surgery and happenned to be walking out of a store and blam!
They can't continue Phys. therapy ...the person was cited however..(not sure if those citations make a dent in their wallets? And with hitting someone involved...they will hopefully learn an expensive lesson.)

VA so far only has the law in action for teens...CA has it for ANYONE...

Just saw an ILL. town is banning the showing of underwear by more than 3 inches ....the opposing kids/wearers are using the stand that their 'expression of style' is being infringed on...  I hope IL gets it into the heads of those wearers, WE DON'T LIKE YER KIND ROUND HERE! 

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/20/08 at 5:10 pm

They need to ban use of handlheld cell phones whilst driving.

They also need to ban texting/blackberrying while driving too...

Written By: Red Ant on 07/20/08 at 8:20 pm

Sorry to hear about your relative, saver.

As for who to contact, I find making contact with the bad, inattentive driver on the cell phone is the most direct route - screaming to them "Get off the phone, whore!" (even, err, especially if the driver is male) seems to have an immediate and tangible effect... if their window is down. If not, then a good, long horn honk is a suitable backup.

We also need to ban drivers from Maryland and New Jersey as well as all minivans. Here's hoping that cell phones get the axe for the road (and yes, I have used mine while driving, and they are big time distractions - I'd support a ban on them while driving).

Ant

Written By: saver on 07/20/08 at 8:37 pm

Sorry to hear about your relative, saver.

As for who to contact, I find making contact with the bad, inattentive driver on the cell phone is the most direct route - screaming to them "Get off the phone, whore!" (even, err, especially if the driver is male) seems to have an immediate and tangible effect... if their window is down. If not, then a good, long horn honk is a suitable backup.

We also need to ban drivers from Maryland and New Jersey as well as all minivans. Here's hoping that cell phones get the axe for the road (and yes, I have used mine while driving, and they are big time distractions - I'd support a ban on them while driving).

Ant

The crime took place in a convenience store parking lot..the victim apparently saw the car not stopping as they stepped out of the door and DID yell 'STOP,STOP', but the driver was in conversation, clipped the victim who tried not to be crushed by the wheels, so hung on to the door mirror.

With reaction times of someone driving on a phone, I predict even if a person on the driver side seeing it about to happen would have run up to the window to pound on it, would make the driver 'dart' off thinking they were going to be attacked and would have impacted much harder!

Still..a bad scene to be part of. Thanks for the caring...concern.
The relative as I mentioned had been recently scheduled in phys. therapy for bone problems, so THEY didn't just run right out in front of the driver either.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/21/08 at 12:14 am

Not to mention applying makeup and changing your drawers!
:D

Written By: MrCleveland on 07/24/08 at 3:40 pm

I live in a city in which a suburb has a cell phone law. (They also passed the first seat belt law.)

Check for new replies or respond here...