» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Does the area you live in matter?

Written By: MrCleveland on 07/22/08 at 1:24 pm

I'm from a swing-state. And when things aren't well, we usually go Democrat.

If I was from New England, the East Coast, or the West Coast, I might be Democratic.

And if I was from the Great Plains, the South, or the Rockies, I might be Republican.

But now, I'm leaning toward Obama since things aren't going too well for me, even though I'm a Graduate and working. (If I can only get my Drivers License and leave my nest.)

Subject: Re: Does the area you live in matter?

Written By: Foo Bar on 07/24/08 at 2:04 am

No, it doesn't.  I live in a state that doesn't matter, and for that, if for nothing else, I'm grateful.  I get zero robocalls from either wing of the Party. 

By contrast, in 2004 a friend who had the misfortune of living in a swing state got eleven (!) robocalls on her voicemail in the 24 hours leading up to the election in which one of the Party's two candidates was guaranteed a victory. 

Written By: Dagwood on 07/24/08 at 7:57 am

I don't live in a swing state.  I think the only way this state would go Dem would be if the repubs changed their name.  I got lots of robocalls in 2004 as well.  Thankfully I don't have a landline now so I probably won't get them.

I don't think area matters.  Utah is very red but I know quite a few hard core dems.   

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/24/08 at 11:31 am

Sometimes I wonder if the candidates know where my state is. "Vermont? What state is that in?" Very few candidates even come here-I don't think Dubya has EVER come here-which I am very grateful for. During the primary-we only got Chelsea-Hillary was too busy to come here.

To answer the question: NO!! Why should any candidate care about our puny little 3 electoral votes and the 2004 figures, our 444,077 registered voters?   

Cat

Written By: MrCleveland on 07/24/08 at 12:28 pm

Sometimes I wonder if the candidates know where my state is. "Vermont? What state is that in?" Very few candidates even come here-I don't think Dubya has EVER come here-which I am very grateful for. During the primary-we only got Chelsea-Hillary was too busy to come here.

To answer the question: NO!! Why should any candidate care about our puny little 3 electoral votes and the 2004 figures, our 444,077 registered voters?   

Cat

Well, I don't think Bush wants to visit there because they may want him in jail...or dead.

Anyway, that's not good.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/24/08 at 12:37 pm

Well, I don't think Bush wants to visit there because they may want him in jail...or dead.

Anyway, that's not good.

I believe it is only Brattleboro that has a warrant out on him. I can't speak for other Vermonters but I for one, do not want to see him dead. I want to see him and Cheney in an orange jumpsuit behind bars.

Cat

Written By: Marian on 07/24/08 at 12:37 pm

I'm from san jose,so yes!

Written By: MrCleveland on 07/24/08 at 3:37 pm

I believe it is only Brattleboro that has a warrant out on him. I can't speak for other Vermonters but I for one, do not want to see him dead. I want to see him and Cheney in an orange jumpsuit behind bars.

Cat

So does my boss, and I work at a church. (He's not a pastor, he's the treasurer.)

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 07/25/08 at 8:56 am

Where I used to live in Lancaster it was very important to the Republican party.  Lancaster is a full of social conservative Republicans who give very generously to the party.  Bush likes to visit, it may be the last place on earth where he isn't booed by everyone.  Get out of Lancaster County it's much more politically diverse.

Written By: Macphisto on 07/26/08 at 1:32 pm

To a point, it does matter.  I live in the middle of the Bible Belt, hence my thorough aversion to religion.  I'm definitely a lot more secular and liberal than your average North Carolinian.

Written By: EthanM on 07/26/08 at 6:27 pm

The county that I live in has more people than quite a few states, so it is important although the candidates might not pay as much attention as they do in states like Ohio since NY is not considered to b a swing state. Although we do have tons of electoral votes.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 07/28/08 at 6:24 pm

The county that I live in has more people than quite a few states, so it is important although the candidates might not pay as much attention as they do in states like Ohio since NY is not considered to b a swing state. Although we do have tons of electoral votes.

New York is one of those states that's almost evenly divided between Dems and Repubs.  The farther north of the Manson-Dixon line you go the more liberal the Repubs are.

Written By: greenjello74 on 08/02/08 at 9:02 pm

I live in a swing state, and am an Obama supporter. In fact today he had a town hall meeting that I was supposed to volunteer at but my health wouldn't permit me.
My Hubby works at the hospital next door to where the meeting was and he said secret service men were on the roof of the hospital,and it was like 90+ degrees today. They were dressed in the usual secret service garb. He said it was crazy all night, and the meeting wasn't supposed to start until 11am.
Still I wish I had been up to going.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/02/08 at 9:22 pm

The Pioneer Valley of Massachusetts is indigo blue.  It'll go Republican the morning the sun rises in the west!  No, it's not on the list of key battleground areas.  I had friends who voted for Nader in '04 because if Kerry can't win here, it don't matter anyway!
::)

Written By: MrCleveland on 08/03/08 at 9:45 am

The Pioneer Valley of Massachusetts is indigo blue.  It'll go Republican the morning the sun rises in the west!  No, it's not on the list of key battleground areas.  I had friends who voted for Nader in '04 because if Kerry can't win here, it don't matter anyway!

Did you encourage your friends to go for Kerry?

If not, then you should've gotten some better friends.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/03/08 at 7:28 pm

Did you encourage your friends to go for Kerry?

If not, then you should've gotten some better friends.

I voted for Kerry.  I didn't mind my friends voting for Nader here in Mass.  If I lived in Florida, I woulda raised a stink!
;)

Written By: greenjello74 on 08/03/08 at 8:20 pm

I voted and volunteered for Nader in the last two elections. I really like his politics but am afraid if I vote for him again then we might end up with McCain and that would be a bad thing for this country.
No it is time for the Washington insiders to step aside and give someone who doesn't kiss corporate ass a chance.
Lets just hope that Obama is as good as his word and dos not become corrupted.

Written By: MrCleveland on 08/03/08 at 8:52 pm

I voted and volunteered for Nader in the last two elections. I really like his politics but am afraid if I vote for him again then we might end up with McCain and that would be a bad thing for this country.
No it is time for the Washington insiders to step aside and give someone who doesn't kiss corporate ass a chance.
Lets just hope that Obama is as good as his word and dos not become corrupted.

IMO-I wouldn't vote for the 3rd Party even though I think both parties are liars, It's just that the Dems really butter-up to people and the Reps are metaphorically naked.

Reason-Remember the Progressive 'Bull Moose' Party?

Check for new replies or respond here...