» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Michael Savage Tries to Get Out of His Horrible Autism Comment

Written By: Dude111 on 07/22/08 at 9:47 pm

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/newyork/ny-nyauti0722,0,4585333.story

What an idiot!!!

He is right up there with rush: A RIGHT WING PRICK!! (Although i have always thought this)

Subject: Re: Michael Savage Tries to Get Out of His Horrible Autism Comment

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/22/08 at 10:12 pm

He's an ignorant man who clearly doesn't "get" it. ::) >:(

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/22/08 at 11:24 pm

YEAH, my old dad used to say to me:  "Don't act like a moron. ... Act like a man. Don't sit there crying and screaming, idiot" and he'd beat me with a cat-nine-tales every half hour and it never did me any harm...except for psychological maladjustment and blurry vision!*

On the other hand, it takes three times as long today to toilet train a child as it did in 1940.  Soon, it won't be a requirement, though it will be rather embarrassing taking remedial toilet training in the eighth grade!
:P

*thank you John Cleese.

Written By: Macphisto on 07/23/08 at 9:18 pm

I think the general idea of what he was saying wasn't necessarily wrong.  There does seem to be a tendency to diagnose autism for the slightest symptoms.  It's like ADD -- a lot of kids who get diagnosed with that don't necessarily have it.  I did, but my symptoms were clearer than most.

Where Savage screwed up is when he said 99%.  That was just stupid, but this is Savage we're talking about.  Savage is the kind of guy who might even disgust Ann Coulter with his extremism.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/23/08 at 9:26 pm

I think the general idea of what he was saying wasn't necessarily wrong.  There does seem to be a tendency to diagnose autism for the slightest symptoms.  It's like ADD -- a lot of kids who get diagnosed with that don't necessarily have it.  I did, but my symptoms were clearer than most.

Where Savage screwed up is when he said 99%.  That was just stupid, but this is Savage we're talking about.  Savage is the kind of guy who might even disgust Ann Coulter with his extremism.

My mother diagnoses everybody with Aspberger's syndrome!
:D

Give it a behavioral problem diagnoses and medicate the heck out of them.  I agree, it's a huge problem.

The thing is autism is very real and millions of people struggle with it, so it was really oafish of him to lampoon behavior like that. 
::)

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 07/24/08 at 9:37 am

Not only that you have people of the baby-boomer generation and older not really believing there is such a thing as Autism.  They claim it's lack of discipline.  However some of that same generation say let kids be kids and stop deeming all "inappropriate" behavior as an illness.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 07/24/08 at 10:11 am

YEAH, my old dad used to say to me:  "Don't act like a moron. ... Act like a man. Don't sit there crying and screaming, idiot" and he'd beat me with a cat-nine-tales every half hour and it never did me any harm...except for psychological maladjustment and blurry vision!*

On the other hand, it takes three times as long today to toilet train a child as it did in 1940.  Soon, it won't be a requirement, though it will be rather embarrassing taking remedial toilet training in the eighth grade!

*thank you John Cleese.

Beating a kid with something that is commonly used to punish prisoners in third world countries is not discipline, it's sadism.  Especially when the kid is doing nothing more than acting like a kid.  I think the two extremes are what most fear.  Physical punishment rarely benefits, nor does over coddling.

I think my parents got it right when they said let the punishment fit the kid.  They realized hitting me with a yardstick and/or grounding me wasn't effective.  As punishment for something, little antisocial me was sent outside to play with the neighbor kids or I'd have my radio and comic books taken away for a week. 8-P

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/26/08 at 12:40 am

Beating a kid with something that is commonly used to punish prisoners in third world countries is not discipline, it's sadism.  Especially when the kid is doing nothing more than acting like a kid.  I think the two extremes are what most fear.  Physical punishment rarely benefits, nor does over coddling.

I think my parents got it right when they said let the punishment fit the kid.  They realized hitting me with a yardstick and/or grounding me wasn't effective.  As punishment for something, little antisocial me was sent outside to play with the neighbor kids or I'd have my radio and comic books taken away for a week. 8-P

My behavior could be pretty deplorable, but my parents never understood what was going on with me.  It took me well into adulthood to realize how batsh*t crazy my family was!
:D

Written By: MrCleveland on 07/27/08 at 10:28 am

*thank you John Cleese.

It takes me 3x as long to get my Drivers License (And many people here know that already).

If it was up to Savage, us autistics would be in Mental Institutions. And it took me twice as long to get my Associate Degree, and I wrote a script that will (probably) be going to The American College Theater Festival.

Is there a way that I can make this into a success story so that many autistics and others can look up to me? (But not like a god.)

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 07/27/08 at 5:19 pm

It takes me 3x as long to get my Drivers License (And many people here know that already).

If it was up to Savage, us autistics would be in Mental Institutions. And it took me twice as long to get my Associate Degree, and I wrote a script that will (probably) be going to The American College Theater Festival.

Is there a way that I can make this into a success story so that many autistics and others can look up to me? (But not like a god.)

Not only would he put people with autism in there but liberals and free thinkers in general.  I think the fact that you're actively integrating yourself into society and demanding to be treated like every one else is a success story.  It takes guts and self worth not to demand to be exempt from society.  Good luck with the script. :)

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/27/08 at 6:29 pm

The best way for you to be a success, is to fulfill your potential and always do your best... Succeed in your domain however you define it.

Succeed... And people will look up to you!  :)

Written By: wildcard on 07/27/08 at 7:35 pm

The best way for you to be a success, is to fulfill your potential and always do your best... Succeed in your domain however you define it.

Succeed... And people will look up to you!  :)

right on!

Savage went overboard saying 99% but there are a lot of cases where the way the child is brought up wrong or whatever and there's nothing wrong with them.

Check for new replies or respond here...