» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: ACLU doesn't want anyone messing with the people's 'style' showing underwear

Written By: saver on 07/23/08 at 1:23 am

So, maybe it's an age thing?

In a town in Illinois, like down south, they have made it against the law to show more than 3 inches of your underwear while in public.

A 21 year old interviewed said they are messing with his 'style'..well, now they may get the ACLU into this..

That so-called 'style' was started in prisons, I don't think ANYONE should be promoting it OUTSIDE JAIL!

But that's just me..over 30...so, you feel it's an 'age' thing or a decency matter?

We aren't allowed to deficate any old place on the road,why isn't the ACLU wasting money on that?

Subject: Re: ACLU doesn't want anyone messing with the people's 'style' showing underwear

Written By: Haman on 07/23/08 at 4:03 am

So, maybe it's an age thing?

In a town in Illinois, like down south, they have made it against the law to show more than 3 inches of your underwear while in public.

A 21 year old interviewed said they are messing with his 'style'..well, now they may get the ACLU into this..

That so-called 'style' was started in prisons, I don't think ANYONE should be promoting it OUTSIDE JAIL!

But that's just me..over 30...so, you feel it's an 'age' thing or a decency matter?

We aren't allowed to deficate any old place on the road,why isn't the ACLU wasting money on that?

I share your indignation towards this disgusting LACK of style.

I tend to think that the problem arises when it becomes an issue of the State. It appears to me that the State should not tell the citizens how to dress.

It appears to me that each neighborhood should legally own the streets of the blocks they live in, so that each community could legally decide upon dress codes.

Let water seek its own level.

Nevertheless, those idiots should not say that "they mess with their style" because in fact they have no style to begin with. Nobody can mess with something that does not exist.

Maybe it is an age thing and maybe it is a decency matter. I personally do not care. I simply find it ludicrous and utterly distasteful.

Subject: Re: ACLU doesn't want anyone messing with the people's 'style' showing underwear

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/23/08 at 7:31 am

The bigger disgrace is that a politician who most likely has a law degree would even waste time writing a law they know won't pass legal muster in the first place.  I have no problem with the ACLU fighting it, they aren't a government agency after all.  I'm sure they'll start measuring hemlines on dresses next.

The only thing I like about this style is that it lets me spot losers more easily.  After fifteen years of this style being popular with losers, I guess it finally found it's way into the midwest.

Written By: Don Carlos on 07/23/08 at 9:43 am

I totally agree that the "style" is ridiculous, but it certainly is no business of the government to tell people ow to dress.  In Vermont the state can't even force you TO dress.  There are no laws against public nudity, and while some towns have debated ordinances, none have passed.  Do what you want, just don't scare the horses.

Written By: Bobby on 07/23/08 at 9:50 am

What style is this? I do know that certain men here in England show a small part of their underwear as their fashion but if they are showing more than 3 inches, wouldn't they be in danger of falling over their trousers?  ;D

In the same mould, women here are prone to showing their thongs off while wearing small tops which can be a good or bad thing depending on your view of the wearer, lol.

Written By: Tia on 07/23/08 at 9:53 am

see? that style is goofy but if you make it illegal suddenly the people doing it will seem cool, because there will actually be soemthing at stake. heck, i might start doing it.

Written By: La Roche on 07/23/08 at 11:05 am

I saw one a few weeks ago. His underwear was somewhere around the middle of his chest, he then had a pair of what I assumed were gym shorts a little further down before having a huge expanse and finally his jeans somewhere between his balls and his knees.... now.. whilst realizing that I was infinitely superior in every way to this individual, I did feel a little curious. How difficult must it be to walk like that? I get uncomfortable and cranky when my underwear wedges up my ass, how these guys can walk around like that all day is beyond me. How do they get their wallets out? Do they even carry a wallet or billfold?

It's been years since I've lived at home but I think if I ever tried to go out looking like that my Ma would have had a fit and sent me to change myself in to something else.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/23/08 at 12:01 pm

What style is this? I do know that certain men here in England show a small part of their underwear as their fashion but if they are showing more than 3 inches, wouldn't they be in danger of falling over their trousers?  ;D

Yes they are. I have seen kids wear this and they walk strange to try to keep their trousers up. They don't realize that in later years they are going to have serious back problems from the way the walk.

Personally, I hate the so-called "fashion" but if they want to wear it, who made that town in Illinois the "Fashion Police"?

And saver-I REALLY wish you would include links to where you get your info from.

Cat

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/23/08 at 12:53 pm

I think it was "A Man in Full" by Tom Wolfe that mentioned the reason the fashion became popular, was because gang members got used to wearing pants with no belts in prison, and wanted to minimize the change in style from the jail cell to the street corner as much as possible.

Written By: Bobby on 07/23/08 at 1:14 pm

I saw one a few weeks ago. His underwear was somewhere around the middle of his chest, he then had a pair of what I assumed were gym shorts a little further down before having a huge expanse and finally his jeans somewhere between his balls and his knees.... now.. whilst realizing that I was infinitely superior in every way to this individual, I did feel a little curious. How difficult must it be to walk like that? I get uncomfortable and cranky when my underwear wedges up my ass, how these guys can walk around like that all day is beyond me. How do they get their wallets out? Do they even carry a wallet or billfold?

It's been years since I've lived at home but I think if I ever tried to go out looking like that my Ma would have had a fit and sent me to change myself in to something else.

The more impractical it seems to be, the more fashionable it is.  ;D

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 07/23/08 at 4:32 pm

I thought that was in the jurisdiction of the fashion police, not the government.  There hasn't been this kind of situation since miniskirts came out.

Written By: Bobby on 07/23/08 at 4:58 pm

Yes they are. I have seen kids wear this and they walk strange to try to keep their trousers up. They don't realize that in later years they are going to have serious back problems from the way the walk.

Personally, I hate the so-called "fashion" but if they want to wear it, who made that town in Illinois the "Fashion Police"?

And saver-I REALLY wish you would include links to where you get your info from.

You know, Cat, in about 10, 20, 30 or 40 years time, people will look back on these fools who walk funny to keep their trousers half-way up in the same way people look at others wearing flares, platform boots and big collared shirts back in the 70s.  ;D

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/23/08 at 5:17 pm

You know, Cat, in about 10, 20, 30 or 40 years time, people will look back on these fools who walk funny to keep their trousers half-way up in the same way people look at others wearing flares, platform boots and big collared shirts back in the 70s.  ;D

you mean it will come back in fashion?  :D

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/23/08 at 5:51 pm

Yeah, I think the government has bigger problems than trying to regulate how much of somebody's BVD's are showing.

I mean, it's not like the underwear is exposing the nadular areas or anything...

Written By: Bobby on 07/23/08 at 6:23 pm

you mean it will come back in fashion?   :D

;D

It will come back in fashion again after years of derision, lol.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/23/08 at 7:45 pm

In my day if you dressed like that they'd think you were just retarded and offer you a free lollipop!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/15/tard.gif

I agree with all who stated above that it's not the government's business, federal or local, to establish a dress code for the public.  I certainly hope the ACLU doesn't get involved because then it we'll never hear the end of it from the Right!

Written By: Macphisto on 07/23/08 at 9:11 pm

The thug style is pretty ridiculous.  If you're going to dress like a criminal, don't be surprised when you're treated like one.

I seriously doubt the ACLU would get anywhere with a case like this.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/23/08 at 9:39 pm

The thug style is pretty ridiculous.  If you're going to dress like a criminal, don't be surprised when you're treated like one.

I seriously doubt the ACLU would get anywhere with a case like this.

Well, yeah, I think it is fair enough to give schools, businesses, and accommodations the right to reserve to refuse service to anyone failing to meet a dress code.  But this is not state legislative concern.  And I certainly don't want my local cops puttering around yelling "Tuck up those pajamas!  I'll write you a citation next time!"  That's Reno 9-11 level.  We need to administer our law enforcement more expiditiously!
::)

Now, here's the deal.  If I heard a restaurant didn't serve men with long hair I wouldn't care because I'd prefer a steak and a beer.  No, really, if I heard a restaurant didn't refused serve to men with long hair, I would not go to that restaurant nor would most folks around here.  Now, if refusing to serve the guys with the boxers sticking half way out, then the market shall learn and behave accordingly.

(I'm thinking of trying out for the Cato Institute.)
:D

Written By: saver on 07/23/08 at 9:51 pm

Thanks Cat..most news lines I commenrt  on are from YAHOO NEWS HEADLINES or recently reported on the news or even a talk show subject.

If I can lift the story to point it out, Chucky asks to just list the link..as many are wordy..
So if you didn't see the AP story, here's a short version...

If anyone feels the Govmnt. shouldn't dictate what to where and take it to the 'boss'/'company' or parents....so far many parents throw their hands up, then yell at the school for kicking them back home to change or file a grievance with the company complaining 'style' infringement.

It's the law: No sagging pants in Chicago suburb

Email this Story

Jul 20, 8:19 AM (ET)

LYNWOOD, Ill. (AP) - Be careful if you have saggy pants in the south Chicago suburb of Lynwood. Village leaders have passed an ordinance that would levy $25 fines against anyone showing three inches or more of their underwear in public.

Eugene Williams is the mayor of Lynwood. He says young men walk around town half-dressed, keeping major retailers and economic development away. He calls the new law a hot topic.

The American Civil Liberties Union says the ordinance targets young men of color.

Young adults in the village, like 21-year-old Joe Klomes, say the new law infringes on their personal style. He says leaders should instead spend money on making the area look nicer.

A story I haven't started a thread on yet is the little gradeschool Indian boy near Texas who wears his hair in shoulder length braids as part of his 'heritage' and is being asked to cut his hair BY THE SCHOOL, or not attend anymore.

Why not let the govmnt. make it's rules and have US vote if we agree with the 'RULE'.. not i vote that we don't like the Govmnt. making rules, just on the rule.

Who regulates no peeing in the pool that may spread diseases? The pool.

To have neighborhoods say what can be worn, isn't that already called a GANG? Who would tell you go change before you enter?

I kind of feel that way about painted houses in neighborhoods...so what if someone wants a 'green garage door on a yellow garage or paint stripes on their house..someone is telling us NO...(how is THAT ruining a neighborhood..and if it is because of value, maybe someone else who likes a striped house will move in when it's for sale?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/23/08 at 10:03 pm

Uh, you gotta clean up yer HTML tags there dude, I dunno what's going on there!
:D

Thanks Cat..most news lines I commenrt  on are from YAHOO NEWS HEADLINES or recently reported on the news or even a talk show subject.

If I can lift the story to point it out, Chucky asks to just list the link..as many are wordy..
So if you didn't see the AP story, here's a short version...

If anyone feels the Govmnt. shouldn't dictate what to where and take it to the 'boss'/'company' or parents....so far many parents throw their hands up, then yell at the school for kicking them back home to change or file a grievance with the company complaining 'style' infringement.

It's the law: No sagging pants in Chicago suburb

Email this Story

Jul 20, 8:19 AM (ET)

LYNWOOD, Ill. (AP) - Be careful if you have saggy pants in the south Chicago suburb of Lynwood. Village leaders have passed an ordinance that would levy $25 fines against anyone showing three inches or more of their underwear in public.

Eugene Williams is the mayor of Lynwood. He says young men walk around town half-dressed, keeping major retailers and economic development away. He calls the new law a hot topic.

The American Civil Liberties Union says the ordinance targets young men of color.

Young adults in the village, like 21-year-old Joe Klomes, say the new law infringes on their personal style. He says leaders should instead spend money on making the area look nicer.

A story I haven't started a thread on yet is the little gradeschool Indian boy near Texas who wears his hair in shoulder length braids as part of his 'heritage' and is being asked to cut his hair BY THE SCHOOL, or not attend anymore.

Why not let the govmnt. make it's rules and have US vote if we agree with the 'RULE'.. not i vote that we don't like the Govmnt. making rules, just on the rule.

Who regulates no peeing in the pool that may spread diseases? The pool.

To have neighborhoods say what can be worn, isn't that already called a GANG? Who would tell you go change before you enter?

I kind of feel that way about painted houses in neighborhoods...so what if someone wants a 'green garage door on a yellow garage or paint stripes on their house..someone is telling us NO...(how is THAT ruining a neighborhood..and if it is because of value, maybe someone else who likes a striped house will move in when it's for sale?

Written By: Bobby on 07/26/08 at 7:18 am

In my day if you dressed like that they'd think you were just retarded and offer you a free lollipop!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/15/tard.gif

Ha ha.

Karma worthy.  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...