» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: John Edwards battles his Zipper whilst his wife battles cancer

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/08/08 at 7:13 pm

I imagine that the next stage of this will be that the wife stands stoicly at John's side as he lines up for the DNA test.  ;D

Subject: Re: John Edwards battles his Zipper whilst his wife battles cancer

Written By: Red Ant on 08/08/08 at 8:07 pm

I imagine that the next stage of this will be that the wife stands stoicly at John's side as he lines up for the DNA test.   ;D

And then tears his face off when Maury Povich announces that John is the father.

Ant

Written By: MrCleveland on 08/08/08 at 8:09 pm

Now I'm thankful he didn't become president. Not only he's a lawyer, but a lawyer who had an affair. He would be labeled as "Bill Clinton II".

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/08/08 at 8:49 pm

He's a rich guy who talks about class issues.

He must be destroyed.
:o

Now, if Edwards did done do what they said he done did do, then it's his fault for knowingly and willingly spilling his seed in a fertile strange land.

Written By: Jessica on 08/08/08 at 9:44 pm

And then tears his face off when Maury Povich announces that John is the father.

Ant

And then the broad jumps around and screams in his face about telling him he was the daddy and he should have known.

Written By: Macphisto on 08/08/08 at 10:39 pm

My brother and I discussed this, and he had an interesting idea.  He mentioned that sometimes when a couple is in the situation that John and Elizabeth are in, extramarital affairs are encouraged.  Elizabeth has cancer and it may end up terminal.  There is the possibility that Elizabeth encouraged John to "look ahead."  Considering that she isn't likely to be in a physical state capable of "being intimate", she may have encouraged John to pursue that sort of thing with another woman.

On a surface level, it sounds farcical, but there are actually cases where this happens.  It's more common than you would think.  Of course, something like this would need to be discrete, because outside viewers might see it as unethical or immoral.  And to have to explain it to the press would be rather embarrassing and uncomfortable.

It's doubtful that John would even mention this to the press if this is the case because of how deeply personal something like this would be.  So, regardless of whether or not this arrangement was in place, John must be the penitent adulterer in the public eye.  It's also doubtful he will run again, and the odds of him now being Obama's pick for VP are slim to none.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/08/08 at 10:44 pm

And then the broad jumps around and screams in his face about telling him he was the daddy and he should have known.

I once had Maury Paury's autograph.  I knew a girl who got an internship with his show so I said facetiously, "Oooh! You hafta get me  Maury's autograph!"

So she did.  It was a 8x10 b/w glossy of a smiling Maury and he wrote: "To Max:  All my best!  --Maury"

In fact, she got one for everybody she knew!

Whatever happened to that thing?
???

But this John Edwards thing has got me shocked but not surprised.  He said all the right things, but he always did seem a little bogus--he has the countenance of a living Ken doll!  

He and Newt Gingrich ought to go out for sloe gin fizzes!
8)

Written By: danootaandme on 08/09/08 at 5:04 am

When will this stop being news.  Politicians get laid.  It is something between his him, his wife, mother of his other child, and the child.  The only problem I have is that these guys can't figure out that they will get caught.

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/09/08 at 6:45 am

When will this stop being news.  Politicians get laid.  It is something between his him, his wife, mother of his other child, and the child.  The only problem I have is that these guys can't figure out that they will get caught.

It is a barometer for how much he can be trusted.

People who cheat on their wives, welsh on written contracts, commit felonies, molest children, and so on... these are all matters of trust (actually lack thereof) and are quite relevant when selecting which politician will represent you.

Now I don't put Edwards' partying aywhere near the scale of child molestors and convicted felons, but the fact remains that his wife's trust was misplaced.  So why should I trust him to represent my interests?

All the recent Dems and Repubs who have been clogging the criminal courts or the tabloids with their debauchery, I have no use for any of them.

I have a buddy who it turns out has decided to leave his 63-year-old wife because she finally discovered he was partying serious with a 33 year old (I didn't know either) for the past year, clandestine apartment and the whole bit.  My respect for him has vaporized and I now know my trust was misplaced. 

Written By: Jessica on 08/09/08 at 9:31 am

People who cheat on their wives, welsh on written contracts, commit felonies, molest children, and so on... these are all matters of trust (actually lack thereof) and are quite relevant when selecting which politician will represent you.

Now I don't put Edwards' partying aywhere near the scale of child molestors and convicted felons, but the fact remains that his wife's trust was misplaced.  So why should I trust him to represent my interests?

All the recent Dems and Repubs who have been clogging the criminal courts or the tabloids with their debauchery, I have no use for any of them.

I have a buddy who it turns out has decided to leave his 63-year-old wife because she finally discovered he was partying serious with a 33 year old (I didn't know either) for the past year, clandestine apartment and the whole bit.  My respect for him has vaporized and I now know my trust was misplaced. 

Then again, it can also be a situation like Macphisto described, and, not wanting to make his wife sound like a wackaloon, he took all the responsibility for it.  Those types of situations DO happen, and not just on some trashy talk shows.

I'm just glad he did it with a chick who was not underage. :P

Written By: Don Carlos on 08/09/08 at 10:21 am

Frankly, I think people's sex lives should be private.  I totally disagree with Lyricboy on this one.  Infidelity is much more common than we all seem to think.

Written By: A Perfect Stranger on 08/09/08 at 10:32 am

Frankly, I think people's sex lives should be private.  I totally disagree with Lyricboy on this one.  Infidelity is much more common than we all seem to think.

Agree sir.  I certainly don't practice it.  I myself am one of the weird, among the minority who practices loyality and commitment. 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/09/08 at 11:39 am

We were watching CNN last night and that was all they were talking about. Big whooped! The guy got laid by someone other than his wife. This is such "breaking news".  ::) What about the fact that Russia is going into Georgia or the threat on Obama's life? But an affair is SUCH IMPORTANT news.  ::)

Cat

Written By: danootaandme on 08/09/08 at 3:49 pm

Problem is most of the politicians who represent us have been involved in tawdry affairs.  Can't say anything(so far) about Washington and Adams, but from Jefferson on our Presidents have been a pretty busy bunch in that department.  I don't see any reason that it would be any different in the house and Senate.

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/09/08 at 5:40 pm

Problem is most of the politicians who represent us have been involved in tawdry affairs.  Can't say anything(so far) about Washington and Adams, but from Jefferson on our Presidents have been a pretty busy bunch in that department.  I don't see any reason that it would be any different in the house and Senate.

I have no doubt that many of our leadrs have gotten some trim on the side, no doubt at all.

But other than a couple who has an "open nooky arrangement", it is an issue of trust.  If he will cheat on his closest confidant, who bore his children, what do you think he's gonna do with other people's trust?  It's the same reason why people think that Christie Brinkley's ex-hubby was a scum bag, because he cheated on her.  And he was a scum bag for doing that.

I would bet $20 that many of the same people who are reviling the ex-Mister Brinkley are saying about Edwards "hey its not our business"...

Now oddly I did not have a big problem with Clinton's carnal activities in the Oval Office, other than your basic humour about it.  When he was running for President, everybody pretty much knew he was a hoser, and so when he got caught, the US really should not have claimed "surprise".

In any event, Edwards' political career is toast.  He cheated on his wife who is generally an admired woman and he always had this "family man" schtick that he promulgated.  Now he is another member of the Elliot Spitzer club, although it appears that at least he did not have to pay for his membership.  ;)

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 08/09/08 at 6:12 pm

His wife has known about it for about two years.  New sources act as if it happened yesterday.  Why is Elizabeth handling it better than the media?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/09/08 at 6:15 pm

His wife has known about it for about two years.  New sources act as if it happened yesterday.  Why is Elizabeth handling it better than the media?

Because Elizabeth is a classy chick whereas the media likes to get down in the mud.

Cat

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 08/09/08 at 6:16 pm

Yep, this is nothing new.  Calvin Coolidge had an affair when he was president, it was said to have resulted in a illegitimate daughter.  Lyndon Johnson had an affair that resulted in a son.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 08/09/08 at 6:17 pm

Because Elizabeth is a classy chick whereas the media likes to get down in the mud.

Cat

Of course and it really isn't any business of the media.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/09/08 at 8:47 pm

Yep, this is nothing new.  Calvin Coolidge had an affair when he was president, it was said to have resulted in a illegitimate daughter.  Lyndon Johnson had an affair that resulted in a son.

I'm sure Silent Cal was great in the sack!  Johnson, I just ate, would rather not think about it!
8-P

I don't think extramarital nooky is a good thing, but I'm not here to moralize about sex.  My P.O.V. is more pragmatic.  Sen. Edwards could have done a lot more good in the world if he just kept it in his pants.  It used to be acceptable for bigshots to have mistresses.  Yeah, it was frowned upon, but that's what guys did and we're all guys and we all do it, so we just keep it hush-hush! Times change.  Edwards saw what happened to Clinton and Gingrich.  He knew damn well the right-wing hate machine was looking for a way to slaughter him, yet he kept the affair stoked anyway.  Every time he hooked up with that woman, he rolled the dice.  Gamble long enough, the house is gonna win.  I'm not saying it should be this way or that.  It's just politics du jour. 

I am disappointed in Edwards.  Too bad he won't be able to be Barack's attorney general.  But he did it to himself!
::)

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/10/08 at 8:00 am

But he did it to himself!

Well if he had done it with himself, we would not have all this controversy.  ;)

Side note, not sure if anybody has posted this yet... Senator McCain was also getting some on the side whilst married to his first wife.  So I expect McCain to stay silent on this matter.  Advantage: Obama.  :-\\

Now what is really kinda odd is this:  Edwards has come out and said "Yeah, I nailed this chick, blah blah blah.  It was a mistake blah bah blah... My wife was really pissed blah blah blah...  I learned my lesson blah blah blah..."  :(

Fair enuf, I say.  But if all this is the case then what was he doing at that chick's hotel room at the Beverly Hilton at 3:00am a few weeks ago?  Somebody had to know that he was headed up there, this was no "coincidence" that The Enquirer's goons were set up to find him there.  So that means continuing contact and something's still cooking, although I would not know what.

The mother did not state the baby daddy name on the birth cert, which causes me to think that maybe she is behind all this hubbub re: Edwards.  Perhaps the wee-hours meeting was arranged by her under the premise that they were about to be blackmailed (but maybe she set it all up?) ???

Be prepared... probably likely that something even more tawdry is gonna come out of all of this.   8-P  Who knows, maybe those rascally Republicans arranged for all of this to come out, to keep him off an Obama ticket.  :-\\ (G. Gordon Liddy lives on...)

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/10/08 at 8:14 am

His wife has known about it for about two years.  New sources act as if it happened yesterday. 

I think that the news sources are acting this way because he was spotted meeting with that hussy at the Beverly Hilton at 3:00 in the morning a couple of weeks ago, and they had pics.  Why else do you think that Edwards "came clean" to the media the other day?  He would not have done that unless he knew that he was gonna be outed via incontrovertable proof of extracurricular activity...

I do feel bad for the wife.  Has nothing to do with her having cancer either.  She's stood by her man all these years and what does she get for her trouble?  Trouble.  :( 

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/10/08 at 8:50 am

You must think McCain is really awful then.  He cheated on his first wife for 8 months and then married another woman before he even divorced the first one.

What really annoys me, is that war broke out Friday in Russia against the Georgia province, and all I keep hearing about is John Edwards.  A man not currently in office or running for office.

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/10/08 at 9:18 am

You must think McCain is really awful then.  He cheated on his first wife for 8 months and then married another woman before he even divorced the first one.

What really annoys me, is that war broke out Friday in Russia against the Georgia province, and all I keep hearing about is John Edwards.  A man not currently in office or running for office.

Yep... McCain was certainly an oaf for cheating on Mrs. McCain #1, no doubt about that.  Never heard about the bigamy angle.  Got a link?

As to South Ossetia, I have been hearing plenty about it.  Georgians thought that they would kick some quick butt in South Ossetia during the Olympics blitz, but did not count on the Russkies weighing in.  Red Army is dropping bombs like candy corn over there, even flinging scuds too, and far from the area of dispute.

By the way, Russia is not at war with any "province" of Georgia.  They are at war with Georgia itself, over the status of the province of South Ossetia.

I do not know who is in the right or in the wrong here, but the whole thing flared up with Georgia's armed actions in South Ossetia.  They messed with The Bull (Russia) and they got the horns, big time.  Russia launched a fully disproportioate military counterattack to send a clear message.

Expect the US Government (this administration and the next, regardless of Repub or Dem) to not really do anything to intervene, other than some light banter and protestations of human carnage.  USA has little interest in Georgia itself, and will not at this juncture launch any serious political, economic, or military actions against Russia.

Fortunately none of my Russian associates are anywhere near Georgia.

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/10/08 at 11:25 am

Yep... McCain was certainly an oaf for cheating on Mrs. McCain #1, no doubt about that.  Never heard about the bigamy angle.  Got a link?

thought it was old news by now... but then again, I doubt the US papers ran anything about it

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/jul/11/johnmccain.uselections20081?gusrc=rss&feed=networkfront

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 08/10/08 at 3:23 pm

I'm sure Silent Cal was great in the sack!  Johnson, I just ate, would rather not think about it!
8-P

I don't think extramarital nooky is a good thing, but I'm not here to moralize about sex.  My P.O.V. is more pragmatic.  Sen. Edwards could have done a lot more good in the world if he just kept it in his pants.  It used to be acceptable for bigshots to have mistresses.  Yeah, it was frowned upon, but that's what guys did and we're all guys and we all do it, so we just keep it hush-hush! Times change.  Edwards saw what happened to Clinton and Gingrich.  He knew damn well the right-wing hate machine was looking for a way to slaughter him, yet he kept the affair stoked anyway.  Every time he hooked up with that woman, he rolled the dice.  Gamble long enough, the house is gonna win.  I'm not saying it should be this way or that.  It's just politics du jour. 

I am disappointed in Edwards.  Too bad he won't be able to be Barack's attorney general.  But he did it to himself!

Yeah, I can't fathom anyone wanting to marry Johnson let alone being his mistress.  Yes, up to the late 60's politicians having mistresses was commonplace.  It was considered one of the perks of politics.  Nothing really happened to Gingrich, he got out relatively unscathed.  The question is this does the fact that a person is unfaithful in marriage mean he's a poor politician?  Look at the histories of other countries and many rulers had mistresses yet they were great politicians.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 08/10/08 at 3:26 pm

I think that the news sources are acting this way because he was spotted meeting with that hussy at the Beverly Hilton at 3:00 in the morning a couple of weeks ago, and they had pics.  Why else do you think that Edwards "came clean" to the media the other day?  He would not have done that unless he knew that he was gonna be outed via incontrovertable proof of extracurricular activity...

I do feel bad for the wife.  Has nothing to do with her having cancer either.  She's stood by her man all these years and what does she get for her trouble?  Trouble.  :( 

Oh, so it took them a while to get undeniable proof.

Elizabeth is one heck of a lady.  Edwards is a bastard for not appreciating what he has.

Written By: thereshegoes on 08/10/08 at 5:16 pm

For once i almost agree with Lyricboy. I don't care about what politicians do in their private life unless they make their private lives public. If one chooses to use their perfect family portrait to get votes then don't be caught with your pants down. If they have some kind of arrangement which i truly doubt he could at least wait until the wife's not here anymore.

That said, i feel really bad for Elizabeth this sort of trashy drama is the last thing she needs.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 08/11/08 at 1:48 am

Ant

Maury Povich needs to offer John Edwards like 70 billion jillion gazillion dollars to go on that show. And I hope that he is NOT the father, just so I can see his mistress run hysterically off the stage while he does the "I'm Not Your Baby's Daddy!" dance. 

Now THAT would be good television.  ;D

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 08/11/08 at 3:08 am

I have a friend who remained by his wife's side for 15 years as she battled MS and then she died and he was faithful to her and once she passed, he waited a while and then sought another mate.

as for John Edwards, was the man drunk or sedated? This makes no sense, I mean, if you're gonna cheat and be adulterous, at least do it with a fox, especially since it's very likely you're gonna get caught or the story will leak, and not to be too mean, but Rielle Hunter looks really hagged out  :-\\

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/11/08 at 6:58 am

Maury Povich needs to offer John Edwards like 70 billion jillion gazillion dollars to go on that show. And I hope that he is NOT the father, just so I can see his mistress run hysterically off the stage while he does the "I'm Not Your Baby's Daddy!" dance. 

Now THAT would be good television.  ;D

Yeah.. and then keep bringing her back as test after test of her boyfriends all come out NEGATIVE!!!!!  ;D

On the serious side though, I see zero chance (at least presently) of a DNA test happening.  So far the girl and the guy who claims to be the baby daddy both say it is not Edwards'.  And Edwards is agreeing with them.

The only way that we'll see a DNA test is if any of these 3 change their current position, then a court order could be obtained by them.

Still... seems odd... why doees the birth cert not say who the father is? ???

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/11/08 at 11:27 am

http://www.alternet.org/election08/94550/how_is_john_mccain%27s_affair_different_from_john_edwards%27/

How is John McCain's affair different than John Edwards?  still haven't gotten answer to that one...  I thought Ross Perot summed it up perfectly.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/11/08 at 11:41 am

This makes no sense, I mean, if you're gonna cheat and be adulterous, at least do it with a fox, especially since it's very likely you're gonna get caught or the story will leak, and not to be too mean, but Rielle Hunter looks really hagged out  :-\\

unfortunately, this seems to happen quite a bit. :-\\

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/11/08 at 5:33 pm

http://www.alternet.org/election08/94550/how_is_john_mccain%27s_affair_different_from_john_edwards%27/

How is John McCain's affair different than John Edwards?  still haven't gotten answer to that one...   I thought Ross Perot summed it up perfectly.

Other than it was 30 years ago with McCain, (which really is no difference at all) the only thing I see is that Edwards denied it in public any number of times.

But let's put this all into perspective.  John McCain has been reelected a number of times after his sexcapades.  Edwards at this point cannot even look forward to being elected dog catcher.  He's toast.  I think the difference is that Edwards was professing to be the family man, how he and his wife were so close and stuck together through thick and thin.  While in reality the only thing that was sticking were the sheets at the Beverly Hilton.  Somehow the electorate sees a difference.

Note that we pretty much knew that Clinton was a hosemeister before he was originally elected, but then he never really ran on the "family man" schtick anyway.  And he was one heck of an actor (and I do not mean that disparagingly).

On another front...

Some of Hillary's people are now carping that if Edwards had come clean early on about Nookygate, she woulda won Iowa and would then have clinched the Democratic nomination.  Damn, everybody has their spin to this saga.  :-\\

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/11/08 at 6:30 pm

How is John McCain's affair different than John Edwards?  still haven't gotten answer to that one...   I thought Ross Perot summed it up perfectly.

The difference between the two is that Edwards is a Dem and McCain is a Repub. When a Repub gets caught with his pants down, he is a stud. But when a Dem does, it is cause for impeachment.

The last time I check, adultery is NOT illegal so it should be a PRIVATE matter. 

Cat

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/11/08 at 7:06 pm

Other than it was 30 years ago with McCain, (which really is no difference at all) the only thing I see is that Edwards denied it in public any number of times.

by that logic then, Edwards is not toast... he can start running again in a few years!

Some of Hillary's people are now carping that if Edwards had come clean early on about Nookygate, she woulda won Iowa and would then have clinched the Democratic nomination.  Damn, everybody has their spin to this saga.   :-\\

revisionist history... fun game for her to play, the only one she has left at this point.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/11/08 at 8:43 pm

Well if he had done it with himself, we would not have all this controversy.  ;)

Side note, not sure if anybody has posted this yet... Senator McCain was also getting some on the side whilst married to his first wife.  So I expect McCain to stay silent on this matter.  Advantage: Obama.  :-\\

Now what is really kinda odd is this:  Edwards has come out and said "Yeah, I nailed this chick, blah blah blah.  It was a mistake blah bah blah... My wife was really pissed blah blah blah...  I learned my lesson blah blah blah..."  :(

Fair enuf, I say.  But if all this is the case then what was he doing at that chick's hotel room at the Beverly Hilton at 3:00am a few weeks ago?  Somebody had to know that he was headed up there, this was no "coincidence" that The Enquirer's goons were set up to find him there.  So that means continuing contact and something's still cooking, although I would not know what.

The mother did not state the baby daddy name on the birth cert, which causes me to think that maybe she is behind all this hubbub re: Edwards.  Perhaps the wee-hours meeting was arranged by her under the premise that they were about to be blackmailed (but maybe she set it all up?) ???

Be prepared... probably likely that something even more tawdry is gonna come out of all of this.   8-P  Who knows, maybe those rascally Republicans arranged for all of this to come out, to keep him off an Obama ticket.  :-\\ (G. Gordon Liddy lives on...)

Well, it don't matter a tinker's cuss now; the damage has been done.  Something I alluded to in a different thread, and we were just mentioning LBJ.  Story goes:

Lyndon Johnson was campaigning the very popular Pappy O'Daniel for a U.S. senate seat in Texas.  All campaigns ask, "How do we GET this guy?"
Well, Pappy O'Daniel was a toughie; everybody loved him. 
Johnson says to his team: "I know, we'll say Pappy O'Daniel f**ks pigs."
They declared, "Lyndon, we can't say that, it's just slander!"
Replied Johnson, "We'll let him deny it!"

From there you can see how Edwards waving the paternity tests results and proclaiming: "It is settled!  I am NOT the father of my mistress' bastard child," won't save his sorry ass!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/twak.gif

If McCain was a liberal Democrat, Rupert Murdoch would be tar-and-feathering him six ways 'till Sunday...and then some other ways on Sunday too! 

Speaking of Rupie baby, Gingrich was more moral than Clinton.  When he got caught, he resigned!  Then he went to work for FOX News where integrity is a liability!

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/11/08 at 8:54 pm

The difference between the two is that Edwards is a Dem and McCain is a Repub. When a Repub gets caught with his pants down, he is a stud. But when a Dem does, it is cause for impeachment.

Cat

Well lets see if Obama appoints him to his cabinet when he wins the election.  Dems will control both houses of congress, so there should be no problem getting him confirmed.

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/11/08 at 8:58 pm

revisionist history... fun game for her to play, the only one she has left at this point.

Actually Hillary coulda been president in 2000 if she had wanted.  Heck, back in 1998 during Cigargate I was saying that she shoulda dumped Bill.  And if she had done that, and then run for president in 2000, she would have won in a landslide.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/11/08 at 9:17 pm

The last time I check, adultery is NOT illegal so it should be a PRIVATE matter. 

I think there are still laws on the books in some states sanctioning adultry (a Wikipedia search could tell me, but I'm too lazy right now); however, if adultry is illegal in a given state, they don't arrest and try a person simply for adultry.  It can be a handy weapon in divorce court, though!

And the notion of John McCain pulling his pants down and being a stud is like something out of a Mel Brooks movie!
:P

From my perspective, Edwards' lie does not, ahem, rise to the same the same level as the Bush Adminstration's lies.  Nobody died because John Edwards dropped his drawers.  Matter 'o fact, another LIFE may have been created from it, so all those conservative pro-LIFErs should thank Edwards for his potency and fertility!  From one lie, one new American life was created; from another lie, 4,000 American soldiers died!  Which one has the moral upper hand, herer, eh, Randall Terry?

Written By: Foo Bar on 08/11/08 at 9:47 pm

Yeah. 

On the face of it, one wonders why this came out now, not when it was a Hillary/Edwards race.  Why didn't Hillary's campaign know about it?  You'd think if they'd known about it in time for it to make any difference, they'd have used it.

I speculate that (at the time), nobody on Hillary's campaign seriously thought Edwards was a challenger for anything other than the VP slot.  It comes out now because it eliminates Edwards from VP contention. 

We've gone so far down the rabbit hole that it took the National Enquirer (which, for you non-American readers, typically carries stories of the form "Bigfoot stole my baby and gave it to Elvis, who was flying a UFO!  My psychic proved it by reading my aura!") broke a hard news story that the other mainstream papers refused to touch.

In the Soviet Union, there were two newspapers - Pravda (literally, "Truth") and Isvestia (literally, "The News"), and Pravda was (more of a) mouthpiece for the Party than the (relatively) independent Isvestia.  Hence the old saying "there is no news in the truth, and no truth in the news" (Pravda, as the Party's propaganda mouthpiece, isn't allowed to report the news, only the Party's truth; and Isvestia, consisting of the only non-propaganda the Party can tolerate, is permitted to report the news... as long as it doesn't do so factually ;)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/11/08 at 10:03 pm

Yeah. 

On the face of it, one wonders why this came out now, not when it was a Hillary/Edwards race.  Why didn't Hillary's campaign know about it?  You'd think if they'd known about it in time for it to make any difference, they'd have used it.

On the face of it...I don't wanna know!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/evil6.gif

That was going to be a sure loser for Clinton; all Edwards had to do was smile at the camera and say, "Hillary Clinton is lecturing me about infidelity!"  And it would be all over!  I mean she's still hanging out with the dude who did it to her!  Yeah, when your name is "Clinton" you don't talk about messin' around!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/glasses12.gif

Written By: Red Ant on 08/11/08 at 11:44 pm

FOX News: where integrity is a liability!

Perfect.  8)

Ant

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/12/08 at 6:43 am

I was just watching the CBS Morning SHow a couple of minutes ago.  Some lady comes on who was a friend of Riall Hunter (the nooky in Nookygate) and was blathering on about how Ms. Hunter is a woman who "is all about integrity and dignity".  CBS Newsbabe Maggie Rodriguez (  :-*  :P ) then retorted "How do you figure that her having an affair with a married man represents integrity and dignity?".  ;D

The lady then went on to explain that Hunter and Edwards were going out much longer and earlier than Edwards has admitted to and that they were spending as much time toigether as possible.  Maggie then went a little tabloid on us and asked if the meetings were "hot and heavy sessions".  :o

Even I admit that this story has taken on proportions bigger than the importance of Edwards.  :-\\

Nevertheless expect some more shocking revelations to come to the surface which end up torching whatever credibility Edwards has left.  There is blood in the water, I think the media already know it, and they will not be satisfied until all the dirt is dug up and sifted.

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/12/08 at 10:35 am

I was just watching the CBS Morning SHow a couple of minutes ago.  Some lady comes on who was a friend of Riall Hunter (the nooky in Nookygate) and was blathering on about how Ms. Hunter is a woman who "is all about integrity and dignity".  CBS Newsbabe Maggie Rodriguez (  :-*  :P ) then retorted "How do you figure that her having an affair with a married man represents integrity and dignity?".   ;D

The lady then went on to explain that Hunter and Edwards were going out much longer and earlier than Edwards has admitted to and that they were spending as much time toigether as possible.  Maggie then went a little tabloid on us and asked if the meetings were "hot and heavy sessions".  :o

Even I admit that this story has taken on proportions bigger than the importance of Edwards.  :-\\

Nevertheless expect some more shocking revelations to come to the surface which end up torching whatever credibility Edwards has left.  There is blood in the water, I think the media already know it, and they will not be satisfied until all the dirt is dug up and sifted.

Thanks for reminding me of why I refuse to watch news on TV anymore.  Clearly just a ratings grab past this point.  With McCain clamming up and Obama off this week, I guess they need something to waste time on.

Written By: philbo on 08/12/08 at 11:49 am

No, it's not.  Seeing as he's been mentioned already in this thread, take Ross Perot as an example - he's someone who (ISTM) would be completely faithful to his wife (unless he's a complete hypocrite), yet formed what is undoubtedly the most unethical and untrustworthy IT services company in the world.  His standards of what constitutes "trust" in personal life and business are on two completely different scales.

People welsh on contracts, commit felonies, molest children and so on whether they're married or not; people who have cheated on their spouses frequently run businesses with complete integrity.  The one does not inevitably lead to or even imply the other.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/12/08 at 12:06 pm

I will say it plain English:

THIS IS A NON-ISSUE!!!!

Once again, the Repubs are trying to distract people from the real issues.

How many people died in Iraq today?

Cat

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/12/08 at 4:05 pm

I will say it plain English:

THIS IS A NON-ISSUE!!!!

Once again, the Repubs are trying to distract people from the real issues.

How many people died in Iraq today?

Cat

Repubs?  Heck every media outlet in the country is reporting on this story.  Do you mean to say that the Media are all Repub-controlled?  Ask your basic Repub politician and he'll say they are all Dem controlled.

Even Hillary Clinton and her posse are getting into this issue.  They are Dems...

I kinda suspect that the "appeal" of this story is not really political but rather salacious, with equal schadenfreud interest from all slots in the political spectrum.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/12/08 at 4:30 pm

Repubs?  Heck every media outlet in the country is reporting on this story.  Do you mean to say that the Media are all Repub-controlled?  Ask your basic Repub politician and he'll say they are all Dem controlled.

Even Hillary Clinton and her posse are getting into this issue.  They are Dems...

I kinda suspect that the "appeal" of this story is not really political but rather salacious, with equal schadenfreud interest from all slots in the political spectrum.

You are right that a lot of media outlets are jumping on this-I can't tell you how many hours CNN devoted to it.

Cat

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/12/08 at 7:31 pm

You are right that a lot of media outlets are jumping on this-I can't tell you how many hours CNN devoted to it.

Cat

It's inexpensive programming.  All they gotta do is get some talking head to re-hash the news reports.  Flash some stock footage of Edwards and the wife.  Put up a couple of stills of Ms. Nooky and you have a show.

Even The Insider is dredging up interview tapes from last year with Edwards.  They show Edwards being apologetic about not being with his wife, he sent her flowers.  Lara Spencer then asks (words to the effect) "Well I wonder what he REALLY was doing that day, the timing coincides with Nookygate".  :-\\

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/12/08 at 9:26 pm

Sex sells.

What McCain did with those junk bonds in the '80s was far more unethical...and that's just the start. 

Written By: Marian on 08/13/08 at 3:08 pm

I imagine that the next stage of this will be that the wife stands stoicly at John's side as he lines up for the DNA test.   ;D
Oh-well the mistesss says she isn't subjecting her daughter to a DNA test to avoid "invading her privacy".That tells me all i need to know to figure out whether Edwards is really the father--NOT!!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/13/08 at 7:07 pm

Oh-well the mistesss says she isn't subjecting her daughter to a DNA test to avoid "invading her privacy".That tells me all i need to know to figure out whether Edwards is really the father--NOT!!

They could be advising her to hold off for a while keep suspense building in the media.  If Edwards' is the dad, why leak it all at once?
Somebody will pay her a cool million to do it, and only then will she!
:o

Check for new replies or respond here...