» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Why some things bother me, others do not

Written By: A Perfect Stranger on 08/09/08 at 10:10 am

I have found myself perhaps a bit hypocritcal in the past few weeks.

Not long ago, while in Class, the discussion of Barack Obama came up.  Two issues upon Obama were heavily discussed. 

First and foremost, the fact that Obama refuses to pray in public.  I'm not sure if this is true or not, for I have not followed close enough.  I take it to have some truth to it, because a large percentage of classmates were saying that it was true.    Now personally, I do not have a problem with Obama not praying in public.  I do not know of Obama's religious background, but regardless of who or what he believes in(as long as it isn't something that involves severe violence towards others) I think it shouldn't matter.
    It bothers me that many American's, or at least every American in my class that day, with exception to myself, felt that Obama shouldn't be running the country because he wouldn't pray in publilc and because he either wasn't a "christian" or wasn't a "good enough Christian". 
    To me that should make no difference.  A person's religion, has absolutely nothing to do with their ability to run a country.  Perhaps, and I'lll give merit here, it helps with making decisions from time to time, but overall a good conscious, mindset and understanding due to education and experience will do far more than showing up for Church on Sundays. 
      I'm not downgrading or downplaying Christianity whatsoever.  I'm just stating the fact that it should have nothing to do with one's decision on voting for someone to run the country.  George Bush claims to be a "great Christian" in his words, but many of his actions, if their be a Jesus Christ, I can not see him approving of.    Seems to be the case with many "Christians" and it's sad to me to know that a great leader, with great ideas(mind you I never once said I agree with all of them) might not get into the presidency because of his religious backround.  Bothers me even more that someone might get into office, because of theirs.

With that said, perhaps I'm a bit hypocritical because it does bother me that Obama refuses to salute the flag and military personel.  It won't stop me from voting for Obama, but if I were to meet the man, I would politely and respectfully tell him that I do not approve of his choice on this matter.  I feel in my heart that if it wasn't for those in the military,  I would not be a free man.  I think of the millions upon millions of lives lost in so many of the wars the United States has been involved in and believe that actions such as saluting the flag, standing up during the national anthem and saying the pledge of alligence is saying, "thank you for dying for my liberties.  Thank you for dying for my freedom".   

I feel a bit hypocritical because being open minded and listening to those who oppose Obama because of the religioin issue, due so because they believe that this country was founded upon Christian beliefs, and that God is the overall ruler that made so many great things happen.  On top of it, our currency still reads, "In God We Trust".   

I believe strongly that Obama's religious background has nothing to do with his ability to run our country and make wise decisions.  I believe strongly that he'll be the type to use his head, rational ideas, and do what is best for the people, and not even concern himself with God or whatever he believes in. 

Yet, I believe strongly that a person should take pride in his country and take pride in those who came before him.  Am I hypocritical here because it bothers me that Obama in my mind by not saluting is not doing this?

By the way, to set the record straight, I am a big Barack Obama fan.  Don't follow politics real close, but one of my best friends follows them like a hawk, and based on what he's telling me, can't think of a better candidate for President that Obama.

Subject: Re: Why some things bother me, others do not

Written By: Tia on 08/09/08 at 11:12 am

couldnt agree with you more about religious affiliation not being a prerequisite to public office. everything i hear about obama, though, is actually that he's quite religious -- in the liberal christian, not fundamentalist tradition -- and personally i'd rather see an atheist or agnostic run things for a while. but that said, i'm a pretty enthusiastic obama supporter, i really like the guy.

i think the moral compass in this country is pretty much spinning out of control at this point, with the fundamentalists on the right basically taking over religion in the public square. back in the day those of faith were much more diverse, and there was actually much more reluctance to entangle religion and politics, the mccarthy movement sorta started changing that in the 1950s, what with adding "under god" to the pledge of allegiance and working to incorporate religion into policy. see, though, religion is personal and familial, it has nothing to do with running a country, and if you want a good example of how it goes when religious zealots start making policy, look to the taliban or to saudi arabia. :(

anyway, i have a feeling that's why obama refuses to pray in public, if that's true. because he knows he's a political figure and religion just should not be mixed with that. in a sense, the more religious he is, the more he may believe that, because there's a certain strain of christianity that actually comes at the same idea from a different direction, by saying that using your faith to color your politics actually diminishes your faith.

Written By: ADH13 on 08/09/08 at 11:14 am

I don't care what religion candidates are associated with either, as long as they're not trying to play preacher while attempting to practice politics.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/09/08 at 12:04 pm

I have said this before and I will say it again, religion SHOULD be personal. No one can tell you want to believe or what not to believe. How a person practices their own religion SHOULD be personal just as long as they don't hurt anyone. So many wars and killings have been done in the name of religion-and it is not just ONE religion doing it-many do, Christianity, Islam, etc.  It really bothers me that in this election, religion is such a major issue when so many people are losing their homes, many children in this country go to bed hungry (if they even have a bed to go to), and so many people do not have health insurance. To me, a candidate's religion is such a non-issue.

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/09/08 at 9:09 pm

I have said this before and I will say it again, religion SHOULD be personal. No one can tell you want to believe or what not to believe. How a person practices their own religion SHOULD be personal just as long as they don't hurt anyone. So many wars and killings have been done in the name of religion-and it is not just ONE religion doing it-many do, Christianity, Islam, etc.  It really bothers me that in this election, religion is such a major issue when so many people are losing their homes, many children in this country go to bed hungry (if they even have a bed to go to), and so many people do not have health insurance. To me, a candidate's religion is such a non-issue.

Cat

That's what I think about the rumor that Obama is a Muslim.  Even if he was, so what? Even if he was a Muslim fundamentalist, who cares?  He can't just impose Sharia on us!  We have this thing called the Constitution....

Bush and Cheney did what to the Constitution?

Oh, never mind then.  Be afraid! Be very afraind!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/05/frankie.gif

Written By: Foo Bar on 08/09/08 at 9:54 pm

It bothers me that many Americans, or at least every American in my class that day, with exception to myself, felt that Obama shouldn't be running the country because he wouldn't pray in publilc and because he either wasn't a "christian" or wasn't a "good enough Christian". 

"And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward."
  - Some long-haired hippy freak, 2000-odd years ago, in Matthew 6:5.

If this Obama guy prays to the same God as these "Christians" keep yammering on about, it sounds like he's doing it right.  In fact, he sounds like a better Christian than most of your fundie classmates would want him to be.  I mean, if he prays, he probably does it in private for some silly purpose like trying to communicate with his deity, rather than merely pounding the pulpit on TV in order to impress the holier-than-thou folks with his piety.  But hey, your friends are cool too.  I mean, even Jesus said it was OK to pray in to show off to your friends how pious you look.  I mean, it says right there in the Bible that if you go for that sort of thing, your friends get to see how pious you look!

I don't know what's more depressing:  that a segment of the population is willing to base its vote on which invisible friends they think the candidates believe in, or that the very same people who profess to know the most about which religious beliefs ought to be followed... are the ones who never bothered to read their own scriptures.

Written By: A Perfect Stranger on 08/10/08 at 12:12 am

couldnt agree with you more about religious affiliation not being a prerequisite to public office. everything i hear about obama, though, is actually that he's quite religious -- in the liberal christian, not fundamentalist tradition -- and personally i'd rather see an atheist or agnostic run things for a while. but that said, i'm a pretty enthusiastic obama supporter, i really like the guy.

i think the moral compass in this country is pretty much spinning out of control at this point, with the fundamentalists on the right basically taking over religion in the public square. back in the day those of faith were much more diverse, and there was actually much more reluctance to entangle religion and politics, the mccarthy movement sorta started changing that in the 1950s, what with adding "under god" to the pledge of allegiance and working to incorporate religion into policy. see, though, religion is personal and familial, it has nothing to do with running a country, and if you want a good example of how it goes when religious zealots start making policy, look to the taliban or to saudi arabia. :(

anyway, i have a feeling that's why obama refuses to pray in public, if that's true. because he knows he's a political figure and religion just should not be mixed with that. in a sense, the more religious he is, the more he may believe that, because there's a certain strain of christianity that actually comes at the same idea from a different direction, by saying that using your faith to color your politics actually diminishes your faith.

Well put, well said.  My exact feelings, only I have to admit, I wouldn't have been able to use such a vast vocabulary.  :), that is quite impressive. 

Written By: A Perfect Stranger on 08/10/08 at 12:14 am

I want to thank you all for replying to this message.  Very good insight, I appreciate it.

Check for new replies or respond here...