» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Different types of feminism?

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/10/08 at 10:46 am

Since I consider myself to be feminist-oriented, I was thinking about this. I'm more on the casual side of it. There's the obvious stuff I'd support (like equality for women in the workplace), but I'm probably more for generally just supporting whatever women themselves generally want, and also for guys having basic respect for them.

Like it upsets me when some dude is interested in a girl more get laid than have a girlfriend that he genuinely cared about. Stuff like that indirectly offends me to think about how it would hurt the girls' feelings or give her a biased or slightly more negative view of men in general. Before this year, I was always kinda shy in talking to women close to my age 'cause I didn't wanna get lumped in with your typical hornball. I figured just being a young, straight man was all it would take, and the majority was against me lol.

Subject: Re: Different types of feminism?

Written By: audkal on 08/10/08 at 9:50 pm

Since I consider myself to be feminist-oriented, I was thinking about this. I'm more on the casual side of it. There's the obvious stuff I'd support (like equality for women in the workplace), but I'm probably more for generally just supporting whatever women themselves generally want, and also for guys having basic respect for them.

Like it upsets me when some dude is interested in a girl more get laid than have a girlfriend that he genuinely cared about.  Stuff like that indirectly offends me to think about how it would hurt the girls' feelings or give her a biased or slightly more negative view of men in general. Before this year, I was always kinda shy in talking to women close to my age 'cause I didn't wanna get lumped in with your typical hornball. I figured just being a young, straight man was all it would take, and the majority was against me lol.

(From what's bolded) So we both know I've experienced this recently, lol.  Yeah I've been having kind of a negative view of most men lately, but I also feel bad about that because I know deep down that not all guys are like that.  :)

About feminism, how you stated it is more of how I think of it anyways.  Like I would like to see more women being noted for being good/smart people than for just being physically attractive.  I've read this one quote that says, Well-behaved women seldom make history -- which I think is pretty close to the truth. 

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/11/08 at 10:19 am

(From what's bolded) So we both know I've experienced this recently, lol.  Yeah I've been having kind of a negative view of most men lately, but I also feel bad about that because I know deep down that not all guys are like that.  :)

About feminism, how you stated it is more of how I think of it anyways.  Like I would like to see more women being noted for being good/smart people than for just being physically attractive.  I've read this one quote that says, Well-behaved women seldom make history -- which I think is pretty close to the truth. 

Yeah, it's hard to blame you for not feeling that way. When anyone's had a negative experience, its like what else are you supposed to think?

I totally agree though. :) It's like there's nothing wrong with pointing out that women are attractive (and it can even be nice in the right context), but I hate when they ONLY focus on that. It comes off as narrow-minded, and I hate that it ruins what should be a compliment.

I totally agree too, about how women are still sorta underrecognized for other achievements or other things about them besides their looks. Even when I DO think they're attractive, that's never my sole basis for liking them. I've thought Paula was cute for about 17 years now (sorry yeah, I know I bring her up all the time lol), but it was just extra, and same with all my other crushes through the years, or now with feeling like I'm really truly in love for the first time in my life.

Written By: audkal on 08/11/08 at 3:28 pm

Yeah, it's hard to blame you for not feeling that way. When anyone's had a negative experience, its like what else are you supposed to think?

I totally agree though. :) It's like there's nothing wrong with pointing out that women are attractive (and it can even be nice in the right context), but I hate when they ONLY focus on that. It comes off as narrow-minded, and I hate that it ruins what should be a compliment.

I totally agree too, about how women are still sorta underrecognized for other achievements or other things about them besides their looks. Even when I DO think they're attractive, that's never my sole basis for liking them. I've thought Paula was cute for about 17 years now (sorry yeah, I know I bring her up all the time lol), but it was just extra, and same with all my other crushes through the years, or now with feeling like I'm really truly in love for the first time in my life.

Thanks for understanding. :)

Geez you explained it so well I don't know if I could add anything to it, lol.  And it's okay to bring up Paula Abdul, hehe, but yeah I know what you mean.  That's exactly how I am with my crush on Blake Lewis.  ;)

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/11/08 at 3:52 pm

Thanks for understanding. :)

Geez you explained it so well I don't know if I could add anything to it, lol.  And it's okay to bring up Paula Abdul, hehe, but yeah I know what you mean.  That's exactly how I am with my crush on Blake Lewis.  ;)

Thanks Audrey lol. :) On a lighter note, like I mentioned before I think it's pretty cool that both of our examples of celeb crushes are related through Idol. Blake's my age too, so I wonder if he was a Paula fan back around 1991 like I was, lol.

Really though I oughta use Erin as the example now. She's cuter than Paula (or anyone else) and I'm also not in a real state of love with anyone else either. ;) :D

Written By: audkal on 08/11/08 at 4:02 pm

Thanks Audrey lol. :) On a lighter note, like I mentioned before I think it's pretty cool that both of our examples of celeb crushes are related through Idol. Blake's my age too, so I wonder if he was a Paula fan back around 1991 like I was, lol.

Really though I oughta use Erin as the example now. She's cuter than Paula (or anyone else) and I'm also not in a real state of love with anyone else either. ;) :D

True, lol--it's possible about Blake.  I know he said something like "Paula's so nice to everyone, which is great".  :)

Of course Erin--she's a beauty inside and out. :)  I think when you're in love you automatically block out anyone else and can't ever picture yourself being with anyone else again.

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/11/08 at 5:21 pm

Yeah some men are complete dirt bags.  All they think about when with a girl is partying with her instead of getting to know her as a person...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/11/08 at 9:04 pm

Yeah some men are complete dirt bags.  All they think about when with a girl is partying with her instead of getting to know her as a person...

And THEN partying with her!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/07/party.gif

So, I was at my usual place eariler this evening and this 25-year-old bartender who flirts with all the guys was talking about getting some obnoxious tattoo that would make creepy guys stip hitting on her.  I wanted to say, "It might be easier to stop preening about in those slinky outfits and waving your tail in all the guys' faces." 

But I just took another chug of my beer and kept quiet.  No good could come from saying such a thing. 

In other words, the kind of feminism kids are steeped in nowadays denies hardwired instinctual differences between the sexes.  If I tried to strut my stuff for the ladies the way that hot young bartender struts her stuff for the guys, I would be:
a. Laughed at.
b. Slapped.
c. Getting my ass kicked by an angry boyfriend.
d. All of the above.

That's just the way the cookie crumbles. 

Feminism lost its way when it stopped focusing on the tangible advancement of women in society and became a template for neurotic sexual politics. 
::)

Written By: thereshegoes on 08/12/08 at 12:14 pm

And THEN partying with her!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/07/party.gif

So, I was at my usual place eariler this evening and this 25-year-old bartender who flirts with all the guys was talking about getting some obnoxious tattoo that would make creepy guys stip hitting on her.  I wanted to say, "It might be easier to stop preening about in those slinky outfits and waving your tail in all the guys' faces." 

But I just took another chug of my beer and kept quiet.  No good could come from saying such a thing. 

In other words, the kind of feminism kids are steeped in nowadays denies hardwired instinctual differences between the sexes.  If I tried to strut my stuff for the ladies the way that hot young bartender struts her stuff for the guys, I would be:
a. Laughed at.
b. Slapped.
c. Getting my ass kicked by an angry boyfriend.
d. All of the above.

That's just the way the cookie crumbles. 

Feminism lost its way when it stopped focusing on the tangible advancement of women in society and became a template for neurotic sexual politics. 

I agree. Some women call themselves feminists when all they do is prove that they want and need constant men approval. Any hot girl who wears skimpy outfits and claims she's dressing for herself,who flirts and then gets offended because the guys "always take it wrong", who claims she's a feminist by using her sex appeal to get power needs to be slapped hard.
But please realise this is not the majority,most of us are ashamed of this girls just like you guys are not all butts. They're just louder and flashier so they are more noticeable.

Written By: audkal on 08/12/08 at 3:37 pm

I agree. Some women call themselves feminists when all they do is prove that they want and need constant men approval. Any hot girl who wears skimpy outfits and claims she's dressing for herself,who flirts and then gets offended because the guys "always take it wrong", who claims she's a feminist by using her sex appeal to get power needs to be slapped hard.
But please realise this is not the majority,most of us are ashamed of this girls just like you guys are not all butts. They're just louder and flashier so they are more noticeable.

I totally agree, lol.  ;D

Written By: Tia on 08/12/08 at 3:43 pm

qft!

http://shakespearessister.blogspot.com/2004/10/feminism-101.html

here's a little dose of psycho for ya. ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/12/08 at 9:37 pm

qft!

http://shakespearessister.blogspot.com/2004/10/feminism-101.html

here's a little dose of psycho for ya. ;D

I try to avoid blogs named after Smiths songs!

Check for new replies or respond here...