» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: National Archives releases OSS personal records - Julia Child was a spy!

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/14/08 at 8:56 am

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5jUNOHxDTQoehoT3FAda6jBvSN4uQD92HNJO00

Fascinating to see how large the organization was, and some of the famous people who were part of it.

Subject: Re: National Archives releases OSS personal records - Julia Child was a spy!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/14/08 at 12:22 pm

I knew Julia was a spy. That has been pretty much common knowledge.

Cat

Subject: Re: National Archives releases OSS personal records - Julia Child was a spy!

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/14/08 at 12:23 pm

I knew Julia was a spy. That has been pretty much common knowledge.

it's confirmed now.  I guess Julia's status has been known for some time now, but a lot of people's status were still under lock and key.

Written By: snozberries on 08/15/08 at 12:43 am

I had no idea... what was the plan to take us all one chicken cacciatore at a time?  ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/15/08 at 7:59 pm

Yeah, well that "Cooking with Bernard" guy was a double agent!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/05/grommit.gif

Written By: Don Carlos on 08/17/08 at 11:24 am

I once worked for a Dean at Rutgers who was in the OSS, Hamilton Stillwell was his name, I think (it was years ago).  He never would talk about what he did though.  This would be an interesting archive to explore.

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/17/08 at 12:42 pm

I once worked for a Dean at Rutgers who was in the OSS, Hamilton Stillwell was his name, I think (it was years ago).  He never would talk about what he did though.  This would be an interesting archive to explore.

in the article I linked to, at least one person said they didn't tell their wife they were in it for over 60 years.  I have to wonder how many interesting stories and history have been lost because these individuals kept their secrets so well.

Check for new replies or respond here...