» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Is Massachusetts going to legalize "it"?

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/15/08 at 12:36 pm

http://media-newswire.com/release_1070846.html

Of the three questions on the Massachusetts ballot this November, only one question -- #2 the decriminalization of marijuana -- appears all but certain to pass, according to a poll analysis released today by 7NEWS/Suffolk University. Seventy-two percent favored the proposed law, which would replace the criminal penalties for possession of up to one ounce of marijuana to a civil penalty of forfeiture of the marijuana and a fine of $100. Twenty-two percent opposed the proposed law.

Subject: Re: Is Massachusetts going to legalize "it"?

Written By: danootaandme on 08/15/08 at 4:32 pm

Let's do it

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/15/08 at 4:35 pm

http://media-newswire.com/release_1070846.html

Of the three questions on the Massachusetts ballot this November, only one question -- #2 the decriminalization of marijuana -- appears all but certain to pass, according to a poll analysis released today by 7NEWS/Suffolk University. Seventy-two percent favored the proposed law, which would replace the criminal penalties for possession of up to one ounce of marijuana to a civil penalty of forfeiture of the marijuana and a fine of $100. Twenty-two percent opposed the proposed law.

I think the federal government will have something to say about this.

Nevertheless, when the state "legalizes" marijuana, it will serve to take beat cops off the reefer beat.  But it will do nothing to stop federal investigators...

Written By: shackled on 08/15/08 at 6:09 pm

Let's do it

Agreed- OR has the same law, and it's worked well.

Written By: greenjello74 on 08/15/08 at 6:11 pm

Makes me wish I still smoked :(

Written By: thewolrab on 08/15/08 at 7:14 pm

I'm all for it... they should be focusing on cracking down on harder drugs. Even then though, it's your body, who are they to say... but that's just my opinion. It's only harmful if it causes you to hurt others.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/15/08 at 7:56 pm

Makes me wish I still smoked :(

I live in Massatwosheeshs and I would definitely (cough, cough) vote yes on the referndum.  But it's not "legalizing" it, just making possession of up to an ounce a civil offense.  So you gotta fork over the bag and a hundred bucks (after you just forked over a hundred bucks for the bag). 

Some say legalize it and tax it.  I say legalize it and subsidize it!
8)

Written By: thewolrab on 08/15/08 at 9:53 pm

Yeah it's still gonna suck bigtime gettin busted, losing the bag and having to pay, but it'll be nothing compared to the consequences now.

But yeah I'm all for decriminalization, you probably can guess why, so I'll be voting yes as well. I honestly hope this passes, it is a step in the right direction.

Written By: Don Carlos on 08/16/08 at 10:26 am

Good for Mass.  Hope Vermont does the same (it has been discussed).  Even though (deep inhale) I don't do that anymore  ;)

Written By: A Perfect Stranger on 08/16/08 at 11:53 am

I'm not sure how to feel about this.  A part of me is for it and a part of me is against it.  I suppose in the end, all I care is that those who do it, don't steal, hurt, or for the matter kill to get it.

If it's going to be legal, I think it should still have some strichted guidelines upon it.  For instance, no smoking while apporating a vehicle.  No smoking while handing children.  No smoking while at work.  Pretty basic stuff. 

I hope the the legalization will help people to use marjiuana in moderation.  Use it at appropriate times and not abuse the drug.  I don't mind seeing kids get stoned at a party and then sleep it off.  Nothing against that at all.  What I have a problem with is those kids getting stoned at a party, when instead they have kids they should be taking care of, or a job they should be attending. 

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 08/16/08 at 12:47 pm

Legalize it.  Most people who smoke pot don't go out and commit crimes after, like the do if it's crack.  Worst case senerio: throwing a fit because the corner store is out of Twinkies and Doritos.

Written By: Macphisto on 08/16/08 at 3:07 pm

It's a small step, but a good one.

Written By: Davester on 08/16/08 at 4:05 pm

Legalize it.  Most people who smoke pot don't go out and commit crimes after, like the do if it's crack.  Worst case senerio: throwing a fit because the corner store is out of Twinkies and Doritos.

;D ;D ;D

Written By: Davester on 08/16/08 at 4:19 pm

I'm not sure how to feel about this.  A part of me is for it and a part of me is against it.   I suppose in the end, all I care is that those who do it, don't steal, hurt, or for the matter kill to get it.

Beware of violent potheads...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/16/08 at 10:21 pm

Well, there's the new anti-pot agenda: The obesity epidemic is already bad enough!
:P

I always found the biggest nuisance in the city to be good old drunks!  Junkies are either on the nod or looking for the next fix, but they don't stand on the corner and scream "Hey, f**kface" at you.
::)

Written By: Haman on 08/17/08 at 6:10 am

In my opinion, all drugs should be legal.

That had better imply, however, that drug users should never be exonerated from their responsibilities even when they commit crimes "under the influence". After all, users do know that drugs WILL alter their behavior, don't they?

Furthermore, any and all government "help" programs for drug users should be revoked. Let private companies take care of that.   

Written By: philbo on 08/18/08 at 4:47 am

In my opinion, all drugs should be legal.

That had better imply, however, that drug users should never be exonerated from their responsibilities even when they commit crimes "under the influence". After all, users do know that drugs WILL alter their behavior, don't they?

Given that the effects of prohibition on crime are many times worse than the effects of drugs on users (who most of the time are responsible for their own use - why should government have any say in what an adult can do to his/her own body?), just as it was for alcohol, prohibition of drugs just makes everything worse.  And it's not just me that thinks this:

The Guardian"]
A former senior civil servant who was responsible for coordinating the government's anti-drugs policy now believes that legalisation would be less harmful than the current strategy.

"I joined the unit more or less agnostic on drugs policy, being personally opposed to drug use, but open-minded about the best way to deal with the problem," he wrote on the blog. "I was certainly not inclined to decriminalise. However, during my time in the unit, as I saw more and more evidence of 'what works', to quote New Labour's mantra of the time, it became apparent to me that ... enforcement and supply-side interventions were largely pointless. They have no significant, lasting impact on the availability, affordability or use of drugs."

He said that his views were widely held in the government but rarely expressed in public. "I think what was truly depressing about my time in UKADCU was that the overwhelming majority of professionals I met, including those from the police, the health service, the government and voluntary sectors held the same view: the illegality of drugs causes far more problems for society and the individual than it solves. Yet publicly, all those intelligent, knowledgeable people were forced to repeat the nonsensical mantra that the government would be 'tough on drugs', even though they all knew the government's policy was actually causing harm"

Furthermore, any and all government "help" programs for drug users should be revoked. Let private companies take care of that.   

Nah.. tax drug sales and use the take to fund the programmes for drug users.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/18/08 at 7:45 pm

I wouldn't be too keen on outright legalizing heroin and cocaine.  However, I would not put addicts in jail.  No good comes from that.  I would treat addiction as a physiological and psychological problem.  I also agree with needle exchange programs.  I'd prefer to see no one shooting drugs at all, but if they're going to, it is far better they don't contract hepatitis, HIV, and other nasties.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 08/19/08 at 3:38 am

Better yet, Massachusetts may vote to repeal the state income tax.

The vote to repeal failed in 2002, but got 45% of the vote.  One poll has 47% of Massachusetts' residents supporting the repeal.  The economy is also worse now than in 2002, so more people should vote for it.

Written By: greenjello74 on 08/19/08 at 4:54 am

Thats right were far too busy eating everything in site and listening to psychedelic rock!!! Leave us Potheads alone and chase real criminals.....
Still wish I still smoked. I never met a violent stoner!!! ;D

Written By: philbo on 08/19/08 at 11:41 am

I wouldn't be too keen on outright legalizing heroin and cocaine.  However, I would not put addicts in jail.  No good comes from that.  I would treat addiction as a physiological and psychological problem.  I also agree with needle exchange programs.  I'd prefer to see no one shooting drugs at all, but if they're going to, it is far better they don't contract hepatitis, HIV, and other nasties.

Why not prescribe heroin & cocaine to those already addicted?  (Used to be done here in the 60s)

But unless you legalize everything, you're still going to have illicit drug dealing.. and that very illegality is where most of the problems stem from.  Legalizing pot alone isn't going to affect crime & smuggling figures much (with the possible exception of the US/Canada border).

Written By: Haman on 08/19/08 at 2:23 pm

Given that the effects of prohibition on crime are many times worse than the effects of drugs on users (who most of the time are responsible for their own use - why should government have any say in what an adult can do to his/her own body?), just as it was for alcohol, prohibition of drugs just makes everything worse.

Good point.  :)

Thank you.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 08/19/08 at 3:31 pm

Better yet, Massachusetts may vote to repeal the state income tax.

The vote to repeal failed in 2002, but got 45% of the vote.  One poll has 47% of Massachusetts' residents supporting the repeal.  The economy is also worse now than in 2002, so more people should vote for it.

You're starting to sound like a Libertarian, are you feeling OK?

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 08/19/08 at 3:36 pm

Putting drug addicts in jail for years on end is a waste of tax payers money.  It's cheaper to just treat it for what it is . . . a medical condition.

Opponents of the needle exchange program will tell you it only facilitates the problem.  Last time I checked clean needles were cheaper than subsidizing AIDS drug cocktails.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 08/19/08 at 3:38 pm

Thats right were far too busy eating everything in site and listening to psychedelic rock!!! Leave us Potheads alone and chase real criminals.....
Still wish I still smoked. I never met a violent stoner!!! ;D

You just helped prove my point. :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/19/08 at 5:34 pm

Putting drug addicts in jail for years on end is a waste of tax payers money.  It's cheaper to just treat it for what it is . . . a medical condition.

Opponents of the needle exchange program will tell you it only facilitates the problem.  Last time I checked clean needles were cheaper than subsidizing AIDS drug cocktails.

Indeed, and for every one IV doper who does NOT contract a blood-borne infection from a dirty needle, there are numerous people who will then NOT contract the same illness(es) from the doper.  The needle exchange opponents are moralistic and myopic.  I see it more as a public health issue.  No junkie says, "Well, I guess I can't get any clean needles, so I think I'll quit and take up stamp-collecting instead."  These addicts will cook up with puddle water and shoot up with a needle as sharp as blunt pencil and a syringe full of some other junkie's blood!  Ask any methadone clinic counselor.

To the libertarian extremists who think the government should just let drug addicts die on the streets, I say enjoy your streets!

Written By: GWBush2004 on 08/20/08 at 8:03 am

"The other two questions that will be on the ballot in November had pluralities of supporters in the poll. The question that would reduce penalties for possession of one ounce of marijuana or less was supported by a significant 71 percent. Twenty-two percent said they would vote against that measure. Only seven percent were undecided.

The third question, which would prohibit dog racing in Massachusetts, was supported by 50 percent of respondents while 37 percent opposed it. Thirteen percent were undecided.
"

Source

Decriminalize one ounce or less of marijuana...and then ban something else.  Genius.

Written By: philbo on 08/20/08 at 8:11 am

Decriminalize one ounce or less of marijuana...and then ban something else.  Genius.

Can't have people enjoying themselves too much, can we?

What if they were to find less than an ounce of marijuana on the dog who wasn't racing?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/21/08 at 10:41 pm

"The other two questions that will be on the ballot in November had pluralities of supporters in the poll. The question that would reduce penalties for possession of one ounce of marijuana or less was supported by a significant 71 percent. Twenty-two percent said they would vote against that measure. Only seven percent were undecided.

The third question, which would prohibit dog racing in Massachusetts, was supported by 50 percent of respondents while 37 percent opposed it. Thirteen percent were undecided.
"

Source

I hate to see greyhounds mistreated, but I'm more reluctant than ever to keep giving the government (local, state, or federal) more power. 

Anyway, the economy up here IS worse than in 2002, but repealing the income tax would have done bupkus to prevent it.

Written By: greenjello74 on 08/24/08 at 9:52 am

Can't have people enjoying themselves too much, can we?

What if they were to find less than an ounce of marijuana on the dog who wasn't racing?

I can't resist it... I guess they would impound them  Ducks for cover ::)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/25/08 at 12:16 am

I can't resist it... I guess they would impound them   Ducks for cover ::)

Friends of mine used to try and get their dog and cat stoned.  Can't say as I noticed any difference.  Maybe they were baked.  The cat staring blankly out the window and the dog snoring contentedly on the rug is daily pet behavior so I couldn't measure the difference!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/25/08 at 11:25 am

Friends of mine used to try and get their dog and cat stoned.  Can't say as I noticed any difference.  Maybe they were baked.  The cat staring blankly out the window and the dog snoring contentedly on the rug is daily pet behavior so I couldn't measure the difference!

I had a cat who loved to get stoned.

Cat

Written By: greenjello74 on 08/25/08 at 1:21 pm

I had a cat who loved to get stoned.

Cat

Me too.. he would get the munchies and eat, and eat, and eat and then sleep. Sounds like human behavior. ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/25/08 at 2:13 pm

Me too.. he would get the munchies and eat, and eat, and eat and then sleep. Sounds like human behavior. ;D

I don't think it is unusual for cats to like pot. After all, it is in the same family as catnip.

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/25/08 at 11:24 pm

I don't think it is unusual for cats to like pot. After all, it is in the same family as catnip.

Cat

If catnip could do for us what pot does, catnip would be against the law!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/26/08 at 10:58 am

If catnip could do for us what pot does, catnip would be against the law!

Actually, both have some of the same medical properties.

Cat

Check for new replies or respond here...