» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: First planned attempt on Obama's life?

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/26/08 at 10:13 am

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/uselection2008/barackobama/2624438/Police-stop-white-supremacist-plot-to-kill-Barack-Obama.html

The police aren't sure they were ever a credible threat, but it is confirmation of sorts that there are going to be some attempts on Obama's life.

Subject: Re: First planned attempt on Obama's life?

Written By: Jessica on 08/26/08 at 10:18 am

Ugh.  I wouldn't be surprised if they had tried to go through with it.  How dare a person of color try to run the good ol' US of A and all that. ::)

It is a sad sad thing that crap like this still exists.

Written By: ladybug316 on 08/26/08 at 11:01 am

And almost 8 years and no one has tried to assassinate Bush...go figure.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/26/08 at 11:08 am

I hate to say it but I am not surprised-and I'm afraid that we are going to hear more and more attempts-I just hope that no one succeeds. This is proof that Obama scares the s**t out of people because it is looking more and more like he is going to take the White House.

Cat

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/26/08 at 12:33 pm

The thought of a Cheney presidency is enough to dissuade most people I imagine

Written By: ladybug316 on 08/26/08 at 1:03 pm

;D Right!  He's packing and he'll cap your a**.

Written By: MrCleveland on 08/26/08 at 1:13 pm

Actually...someone tried to assassinate Bush in the country of Georgia with a bomb.

Written By: Haman on 08/26/08 at 3:17 pm

Terrorism must be always ferociously prosecuted, whether it's a bunch of rednecks and lowlifes attempting against a candidate in the name of their race or a large organization of fanatics attempting against a whole country in the name of their religion. 

Written By: Dagwood on 08/26/08 at 4:33 pm

I thought that was the main reason Bush picked Cheney as a running mate. :D

Written By: danootaandme on 08/26/08 at 5:18 pm

I thought that was the main reason Bush picked Cheney as a running mate. :D

bush didn't pick cheney, cheney picked cheney.  The bush team picked a team to figure who should be the running mate.  cheney was on the team, he was also a resident of Texas.  You can't have a Pres and VP from the same state so cheney changed his residency and proclaimed himself the best choice for VP

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 08/26/08 at 5:52 pm

Obama was mandated to have secret security protection after the primary, because they figured this crap would happen.

Obama is a well manner, popular black politician some people aren't progressive enough mentally to handle that.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/26/08 at 5:55 pm

Obama was mandated to have secret security protection after the primary, because they figured this crap would happen.

Obama is a well manner, popular black politician some people aren't progressive enough mentally to handle that.

I just hope that the Secret Service wasn't f**ked up like every other dept. under Dubya.

Cat

Written By: Tia on 08/26/08 at 6:10 pm

I just hope that the Secret Service wasn't f**ked up like every other dept. under Dubya.

Cat
long as they dont privatize it. blackwater would probably set obama up.

Written By: Red Ant on 08/26/08 at 7:44 pm

A 22-250 sighted for 750 yards?

major lulz

Ant

Written By: Tia on 08/26/08 at 7:51 pm

A 22-250 sighted for 750 yards?

major lulz

Ant
you might find this interesting. kinda a right wing guy but i dont know much about guns so i thought some of his insights were informative.

http://confederateyankee.mu.nu/archives/271556.php

"The claim of the rifle being sighted at 750 yards is simple hearsay repeating of the suspect's claim; one cannot determine wher a weapon is zeroed with any certainly by simply looking at the weapon's scope. If the police haven't fired it, they simply don't know if it is sighted at 750 yards, or if it has even been sighted at all. One must also take into account that the weapons were plain view with no protective case in the suspect's pickup truck when confiscated, and the jarring of a moderately-sized pothole could easily render a scope's zero worthless at all but close range."

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/26/08 at 8:08 pm

you might find this interesting. kinda a right wing guy but i dont know much about guns so i thought some of his insights were informative.

"The claim of the rifle being sighted at 750 yards is simple hearsay repeating of the suspect's claim; one cannot determine wher a weapon is zeroed with any certainly by simply looking at the weapon's scope. If the police haven't fired it, they simply don't know if it is sighted at 750 yards, or if it has even been sighted at all. One must also take into account that the weapons were plain view with no protective case in the suspect's pickup truck when confiscated, and the jarring of a moderately-sized pothole could easily render a scope's zero worthless at all but close range."

The cops thought they were just whacked out meth addicts in the article, and stuff like that just helps to re-enforce it. Supposedly Oswald's gun wasn't capable of pulling off the shot he made as well.

Written By: Tia on 08/26/08 at 8:19 pm

The cops thought they were just whacked out meth addicts in the article, and stuff like that just helps to re-enforce it. Supposedly Oswald's gun wasn't capable of pulling off the shot he made as well.
well, the link that i followed to get to the confederate yankee article was saying that the guy is citing their apparent incompetence to imply that the likelihood of racist conservatives to want to assassinate obama is somehow imagined. i mean, these guys were probably meth-heads AND racists, and the possibility is very real that people who are more competent but of the same extremist proclivities can come along. saying they were incompetent isn't the same as saying the threat isn't real, anyone who knows the history of the late 60s with MLK, malcolm X and bobby kennedy knows that racist conservatives who are capable of political assassination are not a myth.

as for oswald's rifle, that's a whole nother can of worms.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/26/08 at 11:30 pm

You got one dude named "Tharin," which sounds like a Saxon king, and the other dude whose last name is Adolph.  I dunno!
:D

These guys might seem like penny ante crooks, but it's the job of the Secret Service to make sure they stay penny ante.  Crackpots with guns can do a lot of damage.  The authorities should just assume there are Inbred Jeds out there who want to waste Obama.
::)

Written By: Red Ant on 08/26/08 at 11:34 pm

Regardless of the Confederate Yankee's other flawed political views, he is correct on the part you quoted. It's curious that he failed to mention that a 22-250 is a pretty sheeshty choice of cartridge/weapon at that range for any target, let alone a human one. No need to get into the numerous reasons for that, unless you are really curious.

I don't deny that there are far too many people who would go to any measure to make sure Obama doesn't become president or that, if he becomes president, he wouldn't last long. Obama's security may very well be the hardest part of his presidency.

Presumably, this half-assed assassination plot was hatched because Obama is black. I think it odd that if Obama were white, he wouldn't have gotten this far, but otoh if he were white he'd beat McSame as badly as Reagan beat Mondale in '84.

Eh, who knows... I'm just waiting to see how this incident gets fully spun... so many ways to do it: racial issues, gun control, war on drugs, Homeland inSecurity, etc.

Ant

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/27/08 at 12:03 am

Regardless of the Confederate Yankee's other flawed political views, he is correct on the part you quoted. It's curious that he failed to mention that a 22-250 is a pretty crappy choice of cartridge/weapon at that range for any target, let alone a human one. No need to get into the numerous reasons for that, unless you are really curious.

I don't deny that there are far too many people who would go to any measure to make sure Obama doesn't become president or that, if he becomes president, he wouldn't last long. Obama's security may very well be the hardest part of his presidency.

Presumably, this half-assed assassination plot was hatched because Obama is black. I think it odd that if Obama were white, he wouldn't have gotten this far, but otoh if he were white he'd beat McSame as badly as Reagan beat Mondale in '84.

Eh, who knows... I'm just waiting to see how this incident gets fully spun... so many ways to do it: racial issues, gun control, war on drugs, Homeland inSecurity, etc.

Ant

Reagan's '84 victory is misrepresented due to the Electoral College system.  He won only DC and Minnesota, his home state; but he won the popular vote many states by razor-thin margins.  Mind you, Reagan still won bigtime compared to Clinton and Dubya.  Fritz Mondale's people ran an even shabbier campaign than Mike Dukakis.  Mondale came off as a whiny gray attorney while Ronnie Reagan presented himself as Old King Cole!

Well, I can't help it, there you go again...and he called for his pipe and he called for his bowl and called for his fiddlers three!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/drunken_smilie.gif

Written By: greenjello74 on 08/27/08 at 12:39 am

I am so tired of bigotry and hatred in this country. I knew it would be just a matter of time before this stupid crap started.
I think security is going to be one of Obamas major problems.
Why should people give a crap what color he is? As long as he brings the much needed and overdue new blood on the Washington scene.
I loved the fact that he took no public funds for his campaign.
We need this change.

Written By: Don Carlos on 08/27/08 at 10:39 am

You got one dude named "Tharin," which sounds like a Saxon king, and the other dude whose last name is Adolph.  I dunno!
:D

These guys might seem like penny ante crooks, but it's the job of the Secret Service to make sure they stay penny ante.  Crackpots with guns can do a lot of damage.  The authorities should just assume there are Inbred Jeds out there who want to waste Obama.

Sooner or later, someone will take a shot.  Its only a matter of time.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 08/27/08 at 2:43 pm

Sooner or later, someone will take a shot.  Its only a matter of time.

Yeah, Obama is very much aware he may not see Election Day.  It's not within his being to put fear before social change.  Reminds me of MLK.

Written By: greenjello74 on 08/28/08 at 7:55 am

Yeah, Obama is very much aware he may not see Election Day.  It's not within his being to put fear before social change.  Reminds me of MLK.

Maybe he should invest in a Popemobile.
Lets all hope that this does not happen. More tragedy in our within our nations leaders that show promise would be a very bad thing for this country.

Written By: danootaandme on 08/28/08 at 10:18 am

Today is the anniversary of the I Have a Dream speech.  Today Obama formally accepts the nomination. 

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 08/28/08 at 12:14 pm

Maybe he should invest in a Popemobile.
Lets all hope that this does not happen. More tragedy in our within our nations leaders that show promise would be a very bad thing for this country.

He may have to.  So many people just aren't capable of fathoming a black president.

It seems that the more promise the politician shows the more likely he or she is to be assassinated.

Written By: Step-chan on 08/28/08 at 2:19 pm

He may have to.  So many people just aren't capable of fathoming a black president.

It seems that the more promise the politician shows the more likely he or she is to be assassinated.

I can't fathom a McCain presidency myself.

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/28/08 at 2:33 pm

I can't fathom a McCain presidency myself.

it's not a presidency I can't fathom, it's the country surviving it that I can't fathom

Written By: Step-chan on 08/31/08 at 4:31 pm

it's not a presidency I can't fathom, it's the country surviving it that I can't fathom

I didn't think about it in that term, makes more since than mine.

Written By: Davester on 08/31/08 at 5:31 pm

Makes you wonder what's up with people's priorities...

Written By: greenjello74 on 09/01/08 at 6:18 am

Makes you wonder what's up with people's priorities...

Well they say idiots are protected by fate....... No memorial library for him, it should be a rest stop on the N.J. turnpike like Howard Stern got.
Running for cover now

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 09/02/08 at 2:49 pm

Well they say idiots are protected by fate....... No memorial library for him, it should be a rest stop on the N.J. turnpike like Howard Stern got.
Running for cover now

Howard wanted that rest stop, it's a very nice one too.  I'd suggest a hazardous waste site for Shrubbie.

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/04/08 at 10:34 am

"When police searched the hotel rooms and cars the men were using, they confiscated meth, needles, laptops, cell phones, a black mask, books indicating check fraud and forgery, bags of new clothes, tactical pants and bar coupons.

Based on the evidence, FBI special agent Robert Sawyer believed there was probable cause to charge the men with conspiracy to kill Senator Obama. However, US Attorney Troy Eid last week said there is insufficient evidence to indicate a true threat, plot or conspiracy against the senator."

let me guess who appointed that US Attorney....

Written By: La Roche on 09/04/08 at 2:58 pm

I think the idea of assassination played heavily in his choice to select Joe Biden as his running partner. If called upon to do so Biden would be ready to lead at a moments notice and probably be strong enough and politically savvy enough to do so. Obama picked a partner who could lead if necessary, McCain picked a partner to try and win the election and right there we see the difference between the two campaigns.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/04/08 at 10:56 pm

I think the idea of assassination played heavily in his choice to select Joe Biden as his running partner. If called upon to do so Biden would be ready to lead at a moments notice and probably be strong enough and politically savvy enough to do so. Obama picked a partner who could lead if necessary, McCain picked a partner to try and win the election and right there we see the difference between the two campaigns.

And McCain chose Palin because...

PRESIDENT PALIN?
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/05/freak6.gif

Written By: Tia on 09/05/08 at 8:49 am

And McCain chose Palin because...

PRESIDENT PALIN?
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/05/freak6.gif
sounds like a character in star wars.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 09/05/08 at 12:09 pm

For the most part yes.  People compare him to Martin Luther King, they both have the same mindset.  Society has changed since the "60's" however hardcore racism still exist.  I don't think the ideal of Biden taking over if necessary is a negative issue.  It's reality.

As for McCain's choice he was catering to a minority who's vote he needed.  What he doesn't realize is Palin makes some women uneasy.  Not just with her political stance but she doesn't look or act like you're average woman.

Written By: Tam on 09/05/08 at 2:13 pm

karma +1

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/05/08 at 2:30 pm

Of course this was used as an argument for why Dubya picked Cheney.

Cat

Written By: Rice_Cube on 09/05/08 at 2:32 pm

Of course this was used as an argument for why Dubya picked Cheney.

It was to prevent people from assassinating Bush because Cheney sucks worse.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 09/05/08 at 2:33 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZtsvsS2Ys0

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/05/08 at 2:45 pm

sounds like a character in star wars.

Revenge of the Sith, I think it was.

Written By: La Roche on 09/05/08 at 10:20 pm

For the most part yes.  People compare him to Martin Luther King, they both have the same mindset.  Society has changed since the "60's" however hardcore racism still exist.  I don't think the ideal of Biden taking over if necessary is a negative issue.  It's reality.

As for McCain's choice he was catering to a minority who's vote he needed.  What he doesn't realize is Palin makes some women uneasy.  Not just with her political stance but she doesn't look or act like you're average woman.

I didn't realize small minded bigots with bad attitudes and irrational ideas were in the minority...

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 09/06/08 at 1:40 am

I didn't realize small minded bigots with bad attitudes and irrational ideas were in the minority...

I guess I've been associating with free spirited liberals for too long.  Small minded bigots with bad attitudes and irrational ideals make me feel uncomfortable. :P

Written By: greenjello74 on 09/06/08 at 10:23 am

Howard wanted that rest stop, it's a very nice one too.  I'd suggest a hazardous waste site for Shrubbie.

I like that idea, yeah it is a nice rest stop.

Check for new replies or respond here...