» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Will the Levees Hold?

Written By: danootaandme on 08/31/08 at 6:31 am

The levees were rebuilt, will they hold?

Subject: Re: Will the Levees Hold?

Written By: greenjello74 on 08/31/08 at 7:29 am

The levees were rebuilt, will they hold?

We can only hope that New Orleans has gotten smarter about getting everyone out of there.

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/31/08 at 7:34 am

It's a crap shoot.  You see, the way most levees are laid out, all you have to do is have ONE BREACH in any levee section and the whole containment area floods.

Levees,whether in the NOLA area or farther north on the Mississippi river system, are monuments to man's arrogance.  A truly impenetrable levee would have to be built on such a colossal geographical scale that it is nearly impossible (read: absurdly expensive) to construct and maintain.

Large populated areas that are below sea level exist at the pleasure of Mother Nature.  And if Ma Nature gets sufficiently irate, all bets are off.

Written By: ladybug316 on 08/31/08 at 7:38 am

It's a crap shoot.  You see, the way most levees are laid out, all you have to do is have ONE BREACH in any levee section and the whole containment area floods.

Levees,whether in the NOLA area or farther north on the Mississippi river system, are monuments to man's arrogance.  A truly impenetrable levee would have to be built on such a colossal geographical scale that it is nearly impossible (read: absurdly expensive) to construct and maintain.

Large populated areas that are below sea level exist at the pleasure of Mother Nature.  And if Ma Nature gets sufficiently irate, all bets are off.
How true  :(

Written By: Rice_Cube on 08/31/08 at 10:26 am

That's why the mayor of NO is basically telling everyone to GTFO.

Written By: Don Carlos on 08/31/08 at 11:19 am

That's why the mayor of NO is basically telling everyone to GTFO.

And they are, about a million or so have fled.

To answer the question, probably not, since I hear that the deasign was flawed and the construction slipshod.

Written By: MrCleveland on 08/31/08 at 11:48 am

Levees should be made with concrete, not sand.

If they used concrete before, then we wouldn't have this problem!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/31/08 at 1:27 pm

Of course the levees are not going to hold-they were not engineered correctly in the first place and after they broke during Katrina, they repaired with bubble gum & duct tape instead of being replaced by something that WILL hold. 

I have to say that I feel a bit sorry for the GOP that Gustav is interrupting their party. Both Dubya & Cheney have canceled because as Gustav heads for N.O. Gustav is serving as a reminder that Dubya & Co. used Katrina as a photo-op and that it has been 3 long years and N.O. is no better off than it was when Dubya uttered to infamous words, "You're doing a hecka of a job, Brownie."  ::)

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/31/08 at 6:54 pm

I always thought that would make a good Ben & Jerry's flavor:
"Brownie, you're doin' a heck of a job"
It could have chunks of fudge brownie in it.
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/icescream.gif

All kidding aside, I'm just hoping for now nobody dies.  I predict no fewer than 100 deaths.  Of course, one is one too many. 

New Orleans is already changed forever as a city.  Now it will change even more.  The levees won't hold because it is not in the interest of the disaster capitalists for them to hold.
::)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/01/08 at 10:59 am

I always thought that would make a good Ben & Jerry's flavor:
"Brownie, you're doin' a heck of a job"
It could have chunks of fudge brownie in it.
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/icescream.gif

All kidding aside, I'm just hoping for now nobody dies.  I predict no fewer than 100 deaths.  Of course, one is one too many. 

New Orleans is already changed forever as a city.  Now it will change even more.  The levees won't hold because it is not in the interest of the disaster capitalists for them to hold.

Unfortunately, at least 4 people died even BEFORE the storm hit-they were critical care patients that they were trying to evacuate.  :\'( :\'( :\'(

Cat

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/01/08 at 5:18 pm

If it keeps on rainin', levees goin to break,
If it keeps on rainin', levees goin to break,
When the levee breaks I'll have no place to stay.
Mean old levee taught me to weep and moan,
Lord, mean old levee taught me to weep and moan,
Got what it takes to make a mountain man leave his home...

Written By: danootaandme on 09/01/08 at 5:33 pm

The levees are holding, but they aren't high enough.  The water is starting to run over.  That is not bad, but it is indicative.

Written By: Jessica on 09/01/08 at 6:47 pm

This is the STUPIDEST headline EVER.

"Why hurricanes have a bad side"

Could that bad side be death and destruction? ::)  This is on CNN.com, by the way.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/01/08 at 7:12 pm

This is the STUPIDEST headline EVER.

"Why hurricanes have a bad side"

Could that bad side be death and destruction? ::)  This is on CNN.com, by the way.

"Bad"? My, my, that is pretty dumb! 

One of the problems with naming hurricanes is we tend to anthropomorphisize them.  They're just atmospheric events with no consciousness, let alone free will!

Written By: MrCleveland on 09/02/08 at 7:47 pm

The Levees held...for now.

Written By: Macphisto on 09/02/08 at 11:16 pm

What's funny is that dredging the area would have been cheaper and more effective at protecting New Orleans than just building levees up more.

I get the impression New Orleans will continue to be a money pit for us.  If they weren't such an important port city, I'd just suggest we leave it behind this time.

Written By: MrCleveland on 09/03/08 at 1:23 pm

What's funny is that dredging the area would have been cheaper and more effective at protecting New Orleans than just building levees up more.

I get the impression New Orleans will continue to be a money pit for us.  If they weren't such an important port city, I'd just suggest we leave it behind this time.

That's how I feel about Cleveland.

If it wasn't for the sports teams and the Rock Hall and Drew Carey, It's the other pit.

Check for new replies or respond here...