» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: God - warm and cuddly or stern and vengeful?

Written By: Zeitgeist on 09/04/08 at 7:33 pm

There seem to be two ideas of God. One is that he's merciful and cuddly, the other that's he's like some stern, borderline abusive father who loves very conditionally and doesn't take sheesh.

Do you see him as one, the other, or both?

Subject: Re: God - warm and cuddly or stern and vengeful?

Written By: whistledog on 09/04/08 at 7:44 pm

I think you need to put that bong away

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 09/04/08 at 8:24 pm

I don't believe in either.

Written By: Jessica on 09/04/08 at 8:28 pm

No!  I haven't had my turn yet!

Written By: snozberries on 09/04/08 at 8:44 pm

No!  I haven't had my turn yet!

see it's moments like these that make me glad I am a member here...

There seem to be two ideas of God. One is that he's merciful and cuddly, the other that's he's like some stern, borderline abusive father who loves very conditionally and doesn't take sheesh.

Wow only two ideas of God.... the theologians are gonna be mad at you.

Hell the fanatics are too for that abusive father thing.... .

You forgot the include a segment for those who don't believe at all...

now here's my thing. I don't believe but I know that others do. I fully respect that they have this faith that I don't buy into.

What I like about religion is the fact that people believe because it is written...it strange but wicked cool that you can follow so blindly.

What I don't like is the hypocrisy that comes with the practice of faith. I think people who truly believe in God see him as your first choice kind and loving....yet there are a lot of followers of faith who are neither. They spend a lot of time judging... Judging those who don't believe, judging those who follow a different faith and judging those who don't follow the rules written 2000 years ago that, may or may not now be irrelevant due to advances in technology and medicine. 

Just saying, using a Christan faith based idea of God. God is forgiving that's why Catholics have confession, people can be absolved of their sins- that's why there are last rites

so why do the religious (not all usually just the fanatics who give the rest of you guys a bad name anyway) why do they feel it's alright to act in an unChristian like manner....in the name of God?

Bring the pain... I can take it.

Written By: greenjello74 on 09/04/08 at 9:30 pm

I ain't touching this one :-X

Written By: ladybug316 on 09/04/08 at 9:30 pm

Stop taking the words right out of my brain, Snoz!!

Written By: snozberries on 09/04/08 at 9:43 pm

I ain't touching this one :-X

I should learn my lesson but I never do.

Stop taking the words right out of my brain, Snoz!!

sorry....  ;D

Written By: Rice_Cube on 09/04/08 at 9:44 pm

From a pragmatic point of view, I think God is like in that Far Side cartoon where he makes the Earth in a big saucepan, then sprinkles in "Jerks" to make things interesting...as in, He created the Universe, He created evolution and stuff, now He's just sitting back and enjoying the show.  

Written By: snozberries on 09/04/08 at 9:45 pm

From a pragmatic point of view, I think God is like in that Far Side cartoon where he makes the Earth in a big saucepan, then sprinkles in "Jerks" to make things interesting...as in, He created the Universe, He created evolution and stuff, now He's just sitting back and enjoying the show.  

so were just like his own little weeble world or Lego village?  I like it.  ;D

Written By: Rice_Cube on 09/04/08 at 9:46 pm

Yeah, maybe God is a scientist and just wants to see what happens to us crazy beings in a big science experiment.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/04/08 at 10:46 pm

God is not your babysitter and not your kindergarten teacher and not Santa Claus either.
::)

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/05/08 at 2:36 am

Again, if a God exists, the Godfellas episode of Futurama is probably the closest expression of my opinion of what It would be like.

For you Judeo-Christian types, it's entirely consistent with the Biblical story of Job.  When you do things right, nobody knows you've done anything at all.  Thus spake god to Bender out of the whirlwind.

Written By: Haman on 09/05/08 at 5:09 am

I may be wrong but if you read the Old Testament I think you'll see a wrathful, unmerciful, iron-handed God most of the time, whereas in the New Testament -well, mostly in the Gospels- you'll possibly find that other more benign version -not in the Revelations, mind you!  ;D

Also, I would like to add that it appears to me that whether or not one believes in God, one had better accept and acknowledge the immensely powerful role that religious beliefs still play in human societies -especially if one wants to change that! 

Written By: MrCleveland on 09/05/08 at 8:30 am

I may be wrong but if you read the Old Testament I think you'll see a wrathful, unmerciful, iron-handed God most of the time, whereas in the New Testament -well, mostly in the Gospels- you'll possibly find that other more benign version -not in the Revelations, mind you!  ;D

Also, I would like to add that it appears to me that whether or not one believes in God, one had better accept and acknowledge the immensely powerful role that religious beliefs still play in human societies -especially if one wants to change that!   

Okay, some days I seem that God is stern and vengeful. He basically tells me "No, you can't have this." or "No, you have to wait even longer".

I'm STILL struggling to get my Drivers License and I may have to take the Written Test 10 times.

So right now, I feel God is stern.  :(

Written By: Tia on 09/05/08 at 9:08 am

oddly, one of my favorite blogs totally featured this subject today.

http://joshreads.com/images/08/09/i080904famcirc.jpg

"Speaking of those rejected by their Creator, we have Jeffy desperately trying to get the attention of the benevolent God that he still believes to exist, despite the evidence of his own torment. It doesn’t matter how loud you shout, Jeffy! You’re always going to have to debase yourself with awful puns and wear the hideous purple union suit, because that is His inscrutable plan."

http://joshreads.com/?p=1702

Written By: Jessica on 09/05/08 at 11:16 am

I don't know about God, but his son can bust a move.

<-------------

Written By: Rice_Cube on 09/05/08 at 11:17 am

Go Jesus go!

Written By: Tia on 09/05/08 at 11:19 am

Go Jesus go!
it's a little early to say, but given what we've seen so far it looks like a promising year for jesus this season.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 09/05/08 at 11:25 am

Weebles I remember those!!! ;D

He's missing a few pieces in the village set.  No wonder he's frustrated.

Written By: Tia on 09/05/08 at 11:26 am

Weebles I remember those!!! ;D

He's missing a few pieces in the village set.  No wonder he's frustrated.
apropos of nothing, we played a hippy festival last weekend and i got my car jump-started by a woman named "weebles." i guess that's sorta like "moon unit" or "sunbeam."

Written By: Jessica on 09/05/08 at 12:12 pm

apropos of nothing, we played a hippy festival last weekend and i got my car jump-started by a woman named "weebles." i guess that's sorta like "moon unit" or "sunbeam."

I knew a girl back in the day who was named Sunshine.  I also went to school with a guy named Zephyr.

Written By: ladybug316 on 09/05/08 at 12:26 pm

I knew a girl back in the day who was named Sunshine.  I also went to school with a guy named Zephyr.
I recently met a girl named Honeybee  ::)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/05/08 at 12:29 pm

I went to school with someone named Honeybell.

Cat

Written By: SemperYoda on 09/05/08 at 1:24 pm

I went to school with someone named George.  It was amazing, haven't seen that name before. 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/05/08 at 1:44 pm

I went to school with someone named George.  It was amazing, haven't seen that name before. 

Wow, what a coincidence. I also went to school with a guy named George.

Cat

Written By: SemperYoda on 09/05/08 at 2:02 pm

;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/05/08 at 4:06 pm

Know anyone named Melissa?  Same diff.

I went to school with a girl whose maiden name was Holly Schick!

oddly, one of my favorite blogs totally featured this subject today.

http://joshreads.com/images/08/09/i080904famcirc.jpg

Bil Keane is the antichrist!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/03/diablotin.gif

Written By: Macphisto on 09/05/08 at 5:46 pm

Ditto

Written By: Haman on 09/06/08 at 2:44 pm

Ditto

Whenever I want to find God, I place myself in front of a mirror.

Written By: Tia on 09/06/08 at 3:57 pm

Whenever I want to find God, I place myself in front of a mirror.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6c9ppDdotbU

i'm gonna get in trouble.  :(

Written By: Tia on 09/06/08 at 3:58 pm

^

interestingly, both obama AND mccain had this guy as their pastor for a while, and the only reason we haven't heard about it is that neither campaign wants to bring it up.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/06/08 at 4:24 pm

^

interestingly, both obama AND mccain had this guy as their pastor for a while, and the only reason we haven't heard about it is that neither campaign wants to bring it up.

You mean that guy is for REAL?? I was thinking it was a spoof and laughed throughout it. If it for real, then my reaction should be the same as Carlos-disgusted.

Cat

Written By: Tia on 09/06/08 at 5:28 pm

You mean that guy is for REAL?? I was thinking it was a spoof and laughed throughout it. If it for real, then my reaction should be the same as Carlos-disgusted.

Cat
i dunno, but i think it's a put-on. obviously with weirdo pastors it can be hard to tell.

Written By: snozberries on 09/06/08 at 9:29 pm

I worked with both a George and a Melissa.  ;D  I know its a little late to add that comment.

I was also in classes, in the 7th grade with a kid named Donald Duck  ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/07/08 at 10:51 am

I worked with both a George and a Melissa.  ;D  I know its a little late to add that comment.

I was also in classes, in the 7th grade with a kid named Donald Duck  ;D

If my surname was "Duck," I'd change it, but that's not an option whan you're 13.  His parents were downright cruel!  I'm trying to think of a situation in which he stated his full name and nobody laughed or said, "don't get mouthy, kid," but I can't. 

If you want a name that commands respect, here's one I saw a couple of weeks ago:
Neil Toomey.

Written By: snozberries on 09/07/08 at 11:17 am

If my surname was "Duck," I'd change it, but that's not an option whan you're 13.  His parents were downright cruel!  I'm trying to think of a situation in which he stated his full name and nobody laughed or said, "don't get mouthy, kid," but I can't. 

If you want a name that commands respect, here's one I saw a couple of weeks ago:
Neil Toomey.

I have come across my share of unusual names.

We've dealt with a Norman Bates and a Frederick Kruger.  Not kidding....neither of them were serial killers tho  ;D

Also, and this is the cruelest one of all (and I should know having had to suffer with a name like Tamarra for 40 years)

I came across a guy born in 77/78 whose name is Kunta Kinte White..... I mean really what were the parents thinking?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/07/08 at 11:23 am

We've dealt with a Norman Bates and a Frederick Kruger.  Not kidding....neither of them were serial killers tho  ;D

Also, and this is the cruelest one of all (and I should know having had to suffer with a name like Tamarra for 40 years)

I came across a guy born in 77/78 whose name is Kunta Kinte White..... I mean really what were the parents thinking?

About ten years ago UMass had a basketball player named Winston Smith (and he was a big brother).  Then there's the Texas Rangers outfielder named Milton Bradley.  Wikipedia reports his father was also Milton Bradley!
:D

Written By: snozberries on 09/07/08 at 11:29 am

About ten years ago UMass had a basketball player named Winston Smith (and he was a big brother).  Then there's the Texas Rangers outfielder named Milton Bradley.  Wikipedia reports his father was also Milton Bradley!
:D

I worked with a Win Smith  ;D lol names are fun...

Oh I just pulled this movie quote off of my myspace page.

It's from the movie The Island starring Ewan McGregor.

LINCOLN SIX-ECHO:
What's "God"?
McCORD: Well, you know, when you want something really bad and you close your eyes and you wish for it? God's the guy that ignores you.

Written By: MrCleveland on 09/07/08 at 12:01 pm

Neil Toomey.

One of the best bass players is Donald 'Duck' Dunn, but sometimes I feel like Donald Duck. I have to struggle, there's a cloud over my head, I'm always unlucky, everyone else takes the credit, I get angry over every little thing, but luckily I never had a 'Wardrobe Malfunction'.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/07/08 at 1:03 pm

I knew a Janet Jackson. The poor girl-every called her "Nasty".  I also knew a John Glenn (who was a really cool guy).

I have mentioned this before but I know OF (but don't know the guy personal) a Warren Pease.

Yeah, yeah, I know we have gone off of topic so sue us.  ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: greenjello74 on 09/08/08 at 9:55 am

I knew a Janet Jackson. The poor girl-every called her "Nasty".  I also knew a John Glenn (who was a really cool guy).

I have mentioned this before but I know OF (but don't know the guy personal) a Warren Pease.

Cat

Used to be a player on The Mets named Howard Johnson. ( He always wore an orange helmet) :D
Running and ducking for cover

Written By: Haman on 09/08/08 at 7:34 pm

I think you've just discovered "Hatha Toilet Seat Meditation"!  ;D

Written By: Shacks Train on 09/09/08 at 1:51 am

Lets all open up our wallets to page 12 & sing

Bringing in the dollars....
Bringing in the dollars....
We will do accounting ......
Counting out the cash..

Personally its the individuals choice whats.what

I did enjoy Jimmy Baker's lawyer telling the press."Hes curled up like a dog on the floor crying"
(Baker on not wanting to go to prison!)

Or Swaggert's tale of jerkin the gerkin to Mom & Daughter hooker team in the motel room..

Pukka Orchestra's - Goldmine in The Sky
(great justice for the weasels of religion)

You have a friend in Jesus
He's been a good friend to me
I know who to thank for all the money in my bank
Since he made me a star on TV

Jesus has been a good living
He's a well that never runs dry
I'm your heavenly host
Broadcast live coast to coast
From that goldmine in the sky

It's a gold mine
And it's all mine
Far be it from me to ask why
I'm quite content
If the lord pays the rent
On that goldmine in the sky

I've found the new testament
Was a damn good investament
Every time I read it, I cry
And Mary Magdaleenie
Drives a brand new Lambourghini
To that goldmine in the sky

It's a gold mine
Not a land mine
You'll see it before you die
Send your dollars today
And I'll show you the way

When the dollar is weak
Thank god for the meek
They're never in short supply
Thousands of lungs
Are speaking in tongues
From that goldmine in the sky

So you have a friend in Jesus
And you have a friend in me
Others may say
That crime doesn't pay
Well maybe they don't watch TV

So let's praise the lord
Send what you can afford
'Cause he's just a regular guy
He'll put your soul at rest
It's time to invest
In that goldmine in the sky

It's a gold mine
Not a land mine
You'll see it before you die
Send your dollars today
And I'll show you the way

It's a gold mine
And it's all mine
Far be it from me to ask why
I'm quite content
If the lord pays the rent
On that goldmine in the sky

Goldmine in the sky
Goldmine in the sky
Goldmine in the sky

Nothing beats the USA when it comes to "NUT JOBS"

Prostitution & Religion are two of the oldest businesses on the planet....

Written By: snozberries on 09/09/08 at 2:37 am

Cat

"Nasty"  ;D

One of the guys I work with is called tick because he's puffed up like he took in a lot of blood  ;D
Another one is called beetlejuice because he has a weight lifter body and a little bity head  ;D

Shoot whosits never came back to read our post so I say we ride this wave as long as we can  ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/09/08 at 12:14 pm

Another one is called beetlejuice because he has a weight lifter body and a little bity head  ;D

That reminds me of a joke that I can't say here.  ;)

Cat

Written By: greenjello74 on 09/09/08 at 12:24 pm

Flying Spaghetti Monster
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  (Redirected from Flying Spaghetti Monsterism)

The Flying Spaghetti Monster (also known as the FSM) is the deity of a parody religion called The Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster and its system of beliefs, "Pastafarianism". The religion was founded in 2005 by Bobby Henderson to protest the decision by the Kansas State Board of Education to require the teaching of intelligent design as an alternative to biological evolution. Intelligent design implies the existence of an intelligent but not necessarily omnipotent or omniscient designer, thus some, like Henderson, argue that this designer could be anything imaginable.

In an open letter sent to the education board, Henderson parodies the concept of an intelligent designer by professing belief in a supernatural creator called the Flying Spaghetti Monster which resembles spaghetti and meatballs. He furthermore calls for the "Pastafarian" theory of creation to be taught in science classrooms.

Due to its recent popularity and media exposure, the Flying Spaghetti Monster is often used by atheists, agnostics (known by Pastafarians as "spagnostics"), and others as a modern version of Russell's teapot and the Invisible Pink Unicorn.

Written By: karen on 09/09/08 at 1:28 pm

Hail the Invisible Pink Unicorn

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 09/09/08 at 1:55 pm

Flying Spaghetti Monster
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  (Redirected from Flying Spaghetti Monsterism)

The Flying Spaghetti Monster (also known as the FSM) is the deity of a parody religion called The Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster and its system of beliefs, "Pastafarianism". The religion was founded in 2005 by Bobby Henderson to protest the decision by the Kansas State Board of Education to require the teaching of intelligent design as an alternative to biological evolution. Intelligent design implies the existence of an intelligent but not necessarily omnipotent or omniscient designer, thus some, like Henderson, argue that this designer could be anything imaginable.

In an open letter sent to the education board, Henderson parodies the concept of an intelligent designer by professing belief in a supernatural creator called the Flying Spaghetti Monster which resembles spaghetti and meatballs. He furthermore calls for the "Pastafarian" theory of creation to be taught in science classrooms.

Due to its recent popularity and media exposure, the Flying Spaghetti Monster is often used by atheists, agnostics (known by Pastafarians as "spagnostics"), and others as a modern version of Russell's teapot and the Invisible Pink Unicorn.

I'm told hell is a lake of bland marinara sauce.  The Olive Garden is their equivalent of a church.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/09/08 at 11:21 pm

Hail the Invisible Pink Unicorn

BLASPHEMER! HEATHEN!

Let's burn her at the stake!  Burn! Burn! Burn!

Nobody but nobody questions the divinity of the Flying Spaghetti Monster!!!!

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/02/behead.gif

Written By: Haman on 09/10/08 at 11:02 am

You people are nuts!  :o  ;D ;D ;D

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 09/10/08 at 11:08 am

You people are nuts!  :o  ;D ;D ;D

No we're just embracing our diversity. :)

Written By: greenjello74 on 09/10/08 at 4:54 pm

No we're just embracing our diversity. :)

What He said^

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/10/08 at 5:14 pm

What He said^

She.  ;)

Cat

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 09/10/08 at 6:10 pm

She.  ;)

Cat

Thank you. :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/10/08 at 6:38 pm

She.  ;)

Cat

Why is it important to impose gender roles all the time!?
:P

Written By: greenjello74 on 09/11/08 at 5:21 am

She.  ;)

Cat

whooopssss my bad senior moment :-[

Written By: SemperYoda on 09/11/08 at 8:18 am

whooopssss my bad senior moment :-[

Is there a good senior moment?  LoL.  J/K.  I know what you mean.  :)

Written By: karen on 09/11/08 at 8:44 am

BLASPHEMER! HEATHEN!

Let's burn her at the stake!  Burn! Burn! Burn!

Nobody but nobody questions the divinity of the Flying Spaghetti Monster!!!!

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/02/behead.gif

Well, it's just that he hasn't yet touched me with his noodly appendage

Written By: SemperYoda on 09/11/08 at 11:16 am

TMI      ;D

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 09/11/08 at 5:01 pm

His life should be empty and meaningless without the divine guidance of the FSM.

Written By: greenjello74 on 09/11/08 at 5:12 pm

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/11/08 at 10:22 pm

Well, He is always sticking out his Noodliness just for you!  All you have to do is stop your heathen ways and reach out for His Appendage!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/03/conehead.gif

Written By: MrCleveland on 09/13/08 at 1:05 pm

Like I said before, lately I have a feeling that God is vengeful. He just says 'no' to me and says 'yes' to my family.

I feel that he cursed me with autism and I may be getting my Drivers License at the age of 26 or 2000 and never.

I feel like an embarrassment in my own family. :-[

Written By: Dagwood on 09/13/08 at 1:19 pm

I am sure your family doesn't feel this way.  You seem to be a great person.  I wish there was something I could say so you didn't feel like this.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/13/08 at 3:24 pm

I spent much of my life feeling this way.

Written By: snozberries on 09/14/08 at 11:33 am

"Nasty"  ;D

One of the guys I work with is called tick because he's puffed up like he took in a lot of blood  ;D

Shoot whosits never came back to read our post so I say we ride this wave as long as we can  ;D

That reminds me of a joke that I can't say here.  ;)

Cat

surprised you haven't pm'd me the joke yet  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 09/14/08 at 11:38 am

Is there a good senior moment?   LoL.   J/K.   I know what you mean.  :)

A good senior moment  ;D

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k229/erlangermike30/bingo.jpg

Written By: greenjello74 on 09/14/08 at 11:40 am

A good senior moment  ;D

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k229/erlangermike30/bingo.jpg

Oh Yeah ;D ;D ;D

Written By: snozberries on 09/14/08 at 12:05 pm

I was watching KCAL9 news aftermath of the train crash and I heard the best remark from a person of faith.

Here's the link. The comment comes about 3:02 minutes

http://www.cbs2.com/video/?id=77154@kcbs.dayport.com  <- this link goes there directly

Essentially this guy is the only (or one of two) people to sustain no injuries in the third car

MAN: I don't know why it was me.

REPORTER:
Are you a man of faith?

MAN: Yes.

REPORTER:
 Do you think that had anything to do with it?

MAN:
I'm mot going to attribute it to that because then you attribute unfortunate accidents to people.

One of my biggest pet peeves- besides people trying to save other  ::) - is this

"But for the grace of God" mentality like God decides one person is more worthy than another. This man gets that.  He was fortunate to not be injured but he doesn't think God put him above all others.

Remember when NYC had that major power outage last year? A women who'd been without power for days was interviewed and she said "Thanks to God I got my power back"..... um I think that was thanks to Con-Ed...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/15/08 at 12:17 am

If you are spared misfortune, it is because of your faith in God.
If you are not spared, God is teaching you or testing your faith.

Written By: greenjello74 on 09/16/08 at 1:06 pm

If you are spared misfortune, it is because of your faith in God.
If you are not spared, God is teaching you or testing your faith.

I think "God"  ::)(if there is one) has far too many things on her mind to be concerned about us.

Check for new replies or respond here...