» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Music Artists Suing GOP

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/06/08 at 12:33 pm

A few weeks ago, I read about Jackson Browne suing the GOP for using one of his songs without permission. It seems that there is a lot of that going around. Chucky posted this link in another thread:

http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/b27431_republicans_take_heart_heart_takes_it.html

I'm wondering who else is going to be added to the list. You would think the GOP would learn that you need to get the artist permission to use their songs-unless if the copyright has run out like artists who were around early in McCain's life like Brahms, but at least Brahms' Lullaby is nicer to fall asleep to than one of McCain's speeches.  :D ;D ;D ;D Ok, ok, cheap shot. But I couldn't resist.  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Subject: Re: Music Artists Suing GOP

Written By: MrCleveland on 09/06/08 at 1:49 pm

The guy who was a member of Orleans hated that Bushed used "Still the One".

And who could forget the spat with Ronald Reagan with Bruce Springsteen's "Born in the U.S.A."?

Written By: Macphisto on 09/06/08 at 5:53 pm

It's kind of ironic that the conservative view on copyright law is typically very much in favor of getting the permission of artists and producers, but yet, the GOP would appear to be skipping this important step.

In effect, they're getting burned by the same interpretation of laws they support.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/07/08 at 11:05 am

The guy who was a member of Orleans hated that Bushed used "Still the One".

And who could forget the spat with Ronald Reagan with Bruce Springsteen's "Born in the U.S.A."?

Yeah, I remember that.  I was thinking at the time, "Did you doojbags even listen to the rest of the lyrics?"  Bruce to sue, but he made his displeasure known. 

I think Republicans just don't get it.  Dan Quayle stormed out of a John Mellencamp concert because Mellencamp stated his opinion of Dubya.  Quayle didn't know Mellencamp was a staunch leftie?  It's kinda hard to miss. 

Then there was Tom Scholz from the band Boston who asked Mick Huckabee to stop dicking around with their song "More than a Feeling" last winter. 

The Right needs to stick with their guys, Charlie Daniels and Ted Nugent.  Who else?  Not many.  Even Toby Keith announced he was a Democrat.
::)

Written By: MrCleveland on 09/07/08 at 11:55 am

Yeah, I remember that.  I was thinking at the time, "Did you doojbags even listen to the rest of the lyrics?"  Bruce to sue, but he made his displeasure known. 

I think Republicans just don't get it.  Dan Quayle stormed out of a John Mellencamp concert because Mellencamp stated his opinion of Dubya.  Quayle didn't know Mellencamp was a staunch leftie?  It's kinda hard to miss. 

Then there was Tom Scholz from the band Boston who asked Mick Huckabee to stop dicking around with their song "More than a Feeling" last winter. 

The Right needs to stick with their guys, Charlie Daniels and Ted Nugent.  Who else?  Not many.  Even Toby Keith announced he was a Democrat.
::)

Bob Seger, 50 Cent (Even though he's against the War), and 'Skunk' Baxter.

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/08/08 at 1:04 am

It's kind of ironic that the conservative view on copyright law is typically very much in favor of getting the permission of artists and producers, but yet, the GOP would appear to be skipping this important step.

In effect, they're getting burned by the same interpretation of laws they support.

Given that the Democratic (including, but by no means limited to Rep. Sonny Bono, (D-Scientology), and Sen. Ernest "Fritz" Hollings (D-Disney)), I'll take my chances with the 'pubs on intellectual property issues.  Regardless of what they say in the legislatiure, they're more than happy to grab a song and use it when it's appropriate.

In defense of the Dems, and despite my misgivings about the Dems and their support for the Hollywood content MAFIAA (namely, the "Music and Film Industry Associations of America"), the only person on the Hill I've ever actually trusted on intellectual property issues is Rep. Rick Boucher (D-VA).  If he's ever crazy enough to run, I'd even support him for President, even if I disagreed with every other plank of his platform. 

There's a huge untapped demographic of Internet downloaders out there who have a very different idea on what constitutes "fair use" than the Content Cartel.  Boucher's continued re-elections demonstrate that he's aware of it.  I hope the rest of the folks on the Hill realize that a pro-fair-use stance on IP issues may cost them a few bucks in lobbyist cash, but that it's almost a "litmus test" for the youth vote, and that (unlike other "litmus test" issues) taking a stance to acquire these youth votes won't cost them any Baby Boomer votes, becuase most boomers don't have strong opinions on intellectual property issues one way or another.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 09/08/08 at 7:37 am

I thought you knew Republicans feel they're exempt from the laws they support.  Anything for the cause.

Written By: Macphisto on 09/08/08 at 6:29 pm

Given that the Democratic (including, but by no means limited to Rep. Sonny Bono, (D-Scientology), and Sen. Ernest "Fritz" Hollings (D-Disney)), I'll take my chances with the 'pubs on intellectual property issues.  Regardless of what they say in the legislatiure, they're more than happy to grab a song and use it when it's appropriate.

In defense of the Dems, and despite my misgivings about the Dems and their support for the Hollywood content MAFIAA (namely, the "Music and Film Industry Associations of America"), the only person on the Hill I've ever actually trusted on intellectual property issues is Rep. Rick Boucher (D-VA).  If he's ever crazy enough to run, I'd even support him for President, even if I disagreed with every other plank of his platform. 

There's a huge untapped demographic of Internet downloaders out there who have a very different idea on what constitutes "fair use" than the Content Cartel.  Boucher's continued re-elections demonstrate that he's aware of it.  I hope the rest of the folks on the Hill realize that a pro-fair-use stance on IP issues may cost them a few bucks in lobbyist cash, but that it's almost a "litmus test" for the youth vote, and that (unlike other "litmus test" issues) taking a stance to acquire these youth votes won't cost them any Baby Boomer votes, becuase most boomers don't have strong opinions on intellectual property issues one way or another.

Great post.  Personally, I prefer the EFF's interpretation of intellectual property laws.  http://www.eff.org/

Written By: Macphisto on 09/08/08 at 6:30 pm

I thought you knew Republicans feel they're exempt from the laws they support.  Anything for the cause.

Pretty much...  ;)

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/08/08 at 11:46 pm

Great post.  Personally, I prefer the EFF's interpretation of intellectual property laws.  http://www.eff.org/

Karma for mentioning the EFF.

They're knowledgeable and nonpartisan, and are really the only people who understand the deeper implications of changes to IP law.  They're therefore ignored by just about everyone on the Hill.  More's the pity for us. 

Written By: Macphisto on 09/09/08 at 6:06 pm

Karma for mentioning the EFF.

They're knowledgeable and nonpartisan, and are really the only people who understand the deeper implications of changes to IP law.  They're therefore ignored by just about everyone on the Hill.  More's the pity for us. 

Thanks man...  I totally agree.  Getting the word out is something I try to do a little bit of for the sake of strengthening public opinion against the corporations that are slowly killing consumer rights.  But yeah, things are looking rather bleak on the copyright horizon.

Check for new replies or respond here...