» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Can "Going Green" Go Too Far Sometimes?

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/07/08 at 3:50 pm

I have to admit that I am an advocate for going green.  I use low-wattage fluorescent bulbs, drive a stingy-for-gas car, and use water-saving appliances.  Save all my dirty dishes in the dishwasher until it is jammed full, to conserve water.  I recycle.

But can you take this concept TOO FAR?  ???

The reason I ask is the attached URL.  Somehow I think I have found my limit ...

http://theburghblog.com/2008/07/15/theres-paperless-and-then-theres-ew/#comments

8-P  ;D

Subject: Re: Can "Going Green" Go Too Far Sometimes?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/07/08 at 4:21 pm

I read that article in my local paper and I thought the same thing-EWWW. However, if that is what she wants to do, more power to her and who are we to say anything about it. I just wouldn't want to do her laundry.  8-P

Cat

Written By: danootaandme on 09/07/08 at 4:23 pm

Oh YUK.  At some point you have to go with civilization, and this is not anyones idea of civilized.  The smell, as well as the unsanitary conditions would keep me well away from anyone in that house.

Written By: Dagwood on 09/07/08 at 6:17 pm

I think that is going overboard with the green.  There are just some things that are not meant to be recycled.  bleah

Written By: greenjello74 on 09/07/08 at 6:20 pm

OMG... That is being a bit extreme. I think the lady is crazy. Didn't thye have a family on Wife swap that only ate stuff from garbage cans or something like that?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/08/08 at 12:11 am

"Green" ain't the color here, but it might help us return to the good ole days of cholera and tuberculosis!
:P

Written By: Red Ant on 09/08/08 at 12:55 am

Not sure if I remember this right, but I think we were brought up with cloth diapers...

My questions are these: is making your own TP and sanitary napkins really more "green" than buying disposable stuff? Nevermind the ick/gross/hygiene factors for a moment - is the time spent, water and detergent use, extra washing/drying machine use and electricity more eco-friendly than buying store bought items?

I guess there's also the advantage of "custom fit" feminine products...

Okay, it's overboard.. and gross.  How do you properly wash and dry something designed to absorb the contents of the Red Sea anyway?

Ant

Written By: snozberries on 09/08/08 at 1:40 am

Ant I've personally always been opposed to cloth diapers....this is even worse...

my first thought was Hells to the No... then, like Cat, I immediately thought about laundry. Some of that stuff just, um, doesn't come out in the wash.  ;D

Written By: Shacks Train on 09/09/08 at 2:10 am

well.......
Piracy Helps Stop Global Warming!!!
Instead of driving to go get CDs , Buying prepackaged software from megacorporations & wasting energy ,
you can help fight global warming by using P2P!
Help save resources , fight pollution & save the enviroment.....Its what Jesus would do!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Evil is Live Spelled backwards!!!

Written By: MrCleveland on 09/09/08 at 2:56 pm

One word...

HIPPIE!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/09/08 at 11:09 pm

One word...

HIPPIE!

8-P

I grew up around the hippie back-to-the-land ethos.  Where the B.O. stops and the hypocrisy starts is a terribly blurry line!

Written By: MrCleveland on 09/10/08 at 1:43 pm

8-P

I grew up around the hippie back-to-the-land ethos.  Where the B.O. stops and the hypocrisy starts is a terribly blurry line!

You never liked hippies huh?

And yes, half (or most) of our Congress may have been hippies.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/10/08 at 6:46 pm

You never liked hippies huh?

And yes, half (or most) of our Congress may have been hippies.

Oh, there are a lot of different kinds of "hippies."  Hippies wanted to break free of the oppressive establishment, but the litmus test is not whether one resents authority, it is what one does when one attains authority.  I found hippie leaders to be as oppressive and dictatorial as the ones they left behind!
::)

I saw more than my share of the dysfunctial side of the counterculture when embraced as an idealistic lifestyle, as opposed to just wearing the garb, listening to the Beatles, and smoking weed. 

Some of my experiences at an impressionable age were rather traumatic.  Most hippies had good intentions, but we know what the road to hell is paved with!

Check for new replies or respond here...