» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Another Negative Repercussion of Chinese Growth

Written By: Macphisto on 09/20/08 at 6:45 pm

As we buy more and more Chinese crap and they continue to buy up our assets, China is also funding the construction of a massive highway that is stretching from the east coast of Brazil all the way to the west coast of Peru.  It is called the Carretera Transoceanica.  This 2,500 mile road is the longest ever, and while it will aid in the economic prosperity of Brazil and Peru, it will also threaten some of the largest expanses of rainforest on the planet.

This is a topic rarely reported on by North American media, and I can't help but wonder if there is a business related reason why.

Nevertheless, what do you guys think of this massive road?

Subject: Re: Another Negative Repercussion of Chinese Growth

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/20/08 at 7:26 pm

As we buy more and more Chinese crap and they continue to buy up our assets, China is also funding the construction of a massive highway that is stretching from the east coast of Brazil all the way to the west coast of Peru.  It is called the Carretera Transoceanica.  This 2,500 mile road is the longest ever, and while it will aid in the economic prosperity of Brazil and Peru, it will also threaten some of the largest expanses of rainforest on the planet.

This is a topic rarely reported on by North American media, and I can't help but wonder if there is a business related reason why.

Nevertheless, what do you guys think of this massive road?

Sounds like the brasilian equivalent to Interstate 80.

Written By: Macphisto on 09/20/08 at 7:34 pm

I should rephrase...  Carretera Transoceanica is the largest road in South America.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/20/08 at 8:26 pm

If the Chinese surpass carrying capacity, nature will take care of itself.
:o

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/21/08 at 1:15 am

If the Chinese surpass carrying capacity, nature will take care of itself. :o

That's what frightens me. 

Pop Quiz:  What has happened, historically speaking, when a nation has a surplus of males aged 15-25 over females?

Extra Credit:  What has been the ratio of male to female births in China since the "one child" policy, and how does it differ from the ratio under which homo sapiens has evolved?

+1 bonus point:  In what year was China's "one child" policy instituted?

Answer key:  The evidence in favor of the hypothesis that "an excess of (unemployable, unable-to-get-laid, or unable-to-find-wives, which are not the same things) males aged 15-29 in a population leads to war" isn't beyond refutation.  But homo sapiens has been conducting a 1,000,000,000-person-strong experiment for the past couple of decades, and I think we're within a decade of getting a very large data point, one way or another, that will help settle the queston.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/21/08 at 9:40 am

That's what frightens me. 

Pop Quiz:  What has happened, historically speaking, when a nation has a surplus of males aged 15-25 over females?

Extra Credit:  What has been the ratio of male to female births in China since the "one child" policy, and how does it differ from the ratio under which homo sapiens has evolved?

+1 bonus point:  In what year was China's "one child" policy instituted?

Answer key:  The evidence in favor of the hypothesis that "an excess of (unemployable, unable-to-get-laid, or unable-to-find-wives, which are not the same things) males aged 15-29 in a population leads to war" isn't beyond refutation.  But homo sapiens has been conducting a 1,000,000,000-person-strong experiment for the past couple of decades, and I think we're within a decade of getting a very large data point, one way or another, that will help settle the queston.

I guess it's not species Homo Sapiens for nothing!

This is just the timeless pulse of history beating on...

The worst mistake America made was complacent arrogance.  Our national mythology over the past 150 years is America will be #1 always!  Why?  Because we're America, got a problem with that?  Now we're learning that tautology doesn't cut the mustard.  The 21st century may yet belong to the Chinese and when the Chinese get their hands on something, they know how to keep it for 1000 years, not 100 years!

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/21/08 at 3:18 pm

I guess it's not species Homo Sapiens for nothing!

This is just the timeless pulse of history beating on...

The 21st century may yet belong to the Chinese and when the Chinese get their hands on something, they know how to keep it for 1000 years, not 100 years!

Note that China has a long history of being invaded/occupied by foreigners and generally being subjugated and getting its azz kicked.  I would not use China as the model for staying on top.

Was invaded by the Mongols in the fourth century, and then again from the 10th to the 14th.

In the 19th century all sorts of foreign powers had their way with China, and then of course we have the Japanese who conducted their mayhem in the 20th century.

Written By: thereshegoes on 09/21/08 at 5:50 pm

Who's afraid of China?

Rodovia Transoceânica (that's how we call it :P) is a major engineering epopey and specially peruvians are really excited about it, as its going to bring prosperity and jobs to a area that has been isolated since ever. Yes it's true the environmental consequences can be problematic, but it's hard to think of that when the benefits seem so appealing.

People are always giving us a hard time,calling Brazil irresponsible when it comes to environment but i don't know any other place where only 20% of the nation's natural resources are being explored so that we can protect the lung of the world that is Amazónia. Despite some misses,i do believe we're doing a good job.

Written By: Macphisto on 09/22/08 at 11:24 pm

Who's afraid of China?

Rodovia Transoceânica (that's how we call it :P) is a major engineering epopey and specially peruvians are really excited about it, as its going to bring prosperity and jobs to a area that has been isolated since ever. Yes it's true the environmental consequences can be problematic, but it's hard to think of that when the benefits seem so appealing.

People are always giving us a hard time,calling Brazil irresponsible when it comes to environment but i don't know any other place where only 20% of the nation's natural resources are being explored so that we can protect the lung of the world that is Amazónia. Despite some misses,i do believe we're doing a good job.

Good points, but personally, I find the whole project disturbing -- almost as disturbing as China's own pollution problems.

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/23/08 at 6:12 am

Who's afraid of China?

Don't forget Brasil's leadership in alternative fuels too.

Written By: thereshegoes on 09/23/08 at 6:44 pm

Good points, but personally, I find the whole project disturbing -- almost as disturbing as China's own pollution problems.

But US's environmental issues are doing ok ???

Don't forget Brasil's leadership in alternative fuels too.

And we just found another oil reserve too. We're gonna conquer you all,be afraid be very afraid!

Written By: Don Carlos on 09/24/08 at 11:42 am

And we just found another oil reserve too. We're gonna conquer you all,be afraid be very afraid!

Better Brazil than China, I can at least read a little Portuguese.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/24/08 at 9:10 pm

I'll have to hire myself a portu-goose!
:D

Written By: Macphisto on 09/24/08 at 9:12 pm

Touche'...    :-\\

Written By: thereshegoes on 09/25/08 at 12:18 pm

Verdade? Vamo testar...como vai você?  ;)

I'll have to hire myself a portu-goose!
:D

How funny!!!

Not :P

Written By: Don Carlos on 09/26/08 at 10:51 am

Verdade? Vamo testar...como vai você?  ;)

How funny!!!

Not :P

True? yes, a very little, my Spanish is better, but this test I can pass.  Doing great.

Written By: thereshegoes on 09/26/08 at 11:23 am

True? yes, a very little, my Spanish is better, but this test I can pass.  Doing great.

Ah you get a 10 8)

Written By: Don Carlos on 09/27/08 at 10:49 am

Ah you get a 10 8)

Thanks!  And by the way, both you and your sister are muy caliente  ;)  :D  8)

Check for new replies or respond here...