» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Race and the Race, Will They Pull the Lever?

Written By: danootaandme on 09/21/08 at 4:18 pm

It is a question that I keep asking myself. 

Gary Younge
The Guardian,
Monday September 15 2008

Barack is playing the incognegro, but it is not a risk-free strategy
Historically, there's been a last-minute swing away from black candidates by white voters. Will Obama change things?

Doug Wilder, 77, still meets people who wanted to vote for him when he stood for governor of Virginia back in 1989 but found they just could not do it. They said they would. They even thought they would. But when it came down to it, they just could not vote for a black man. "I've had people who tell me 'I didn't vote for you for lieutenant governor or governor. I wish I had that chance again'," he says.

On the eve of his election he led in the polls by 9%. On the day he won by less than 0.5%. They call it the Wilder effect - the shortfall between white voters' professed support for black candidates and their propensity to actually vote that way. They also call it the Bradley effect, after the Los Angeles mayor Tom Bradley who stood for California governor in 1982. Back then the deception continued even after some had cast their ballot. Bradley's exit poll lead was so significant that early editions of the San Francisco Chronicle projected his victory. He lost by just over 1%.

Read the whole article at this link
www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2008/sep/15/barackobama.race

Subject: Re: Race and the Race, Will They Pull the Lever?

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/21/08 at 8:08 pm

It is interesting.

About one-third of white democrats say that they might not vote for Obama and racism is decried.

About 85+% of african americans voted for Obama (as opposed to Hillary) and little is mentioned.

Now in the General Election, something like 88% of blacks will vote for Obama over McCain, but that is less about racism than a historical pattern of voting democratic.  If the Dems nominated a hot, steaming turd for President they'd get over 80% of the black vote based on decades of voting records...

(Kerry took 88% of black vote in 2004 for example, Bill Clinton got 82%-84% in '92 and '96, Dukakis carried 89% in '88 and Mondale carried 89% in '84, Jimmy Carter got 86% in 1980 and 85% in 1976)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/21/08 at 11:40 pm

I'm sure there are some white voters who are too secretly bigoted to vote for a black man.  I just hope there are too few to make a difference.

Written By: philbo on 09/22/08 at 4:09 am

About one-third of white democrats say that they might not vote for Obama and racism is decried.

About 85+% of african americans voted for Obama (as opposed to Hillary) and little is mentioned.

You are obviously implying that the racism implied by white democrats not voting for a black democrat candidate is basically the same as black democrats not voting for a white candidate, but there is a difference: for a start, this is the first time there has been a worthwhile black candidate to vote for in a presidential race - it won't be racism that causes African Americans to vote for him (on the assumption that they can get over their jaw-dropping surprise that Obama's actually got this far)

But the motivation of someone who says that they would otherwise support the Democrats, but "just can't bring themselves to vote for a black man" - what else could you call it?  It's irrational, deep-seated and very unfortunate... I just hope that it's not widespread enough to cause a change in result (though it would be the perfect cover for another bout of Republican vote-rigging... no Rovian double-think needed to explain away a huge divergence in exit polls and results.  I do hope *all* polling booths will keep a physical audit trail of votes cast this time around).

Written By: greenjello74 on 09/22/08 at 4:14 am

I'm sure there are some white voters who are too secretly bigoted to vote for a black man.  I just hope there are too few to make a difference.

That makes both of us, God help us if McCain wins the election or God forbid it comes down to Fla again :o :o :o :-\\.
Well at least theres no Bush in the Governors mansion down here now. Just Charlie Crist and his George Hamilton tan.

Written By: Don Carlos on 09/22/08 at 10:31 am

There's no question in my mind that race will play a part in this election.  I just hope that a high black and youth turnout counter balances the racist vote.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 09/22/08 at 11:52 am

Unfortunately this race seems to be more about who a candidate is rather than what they stand for and plan to do as president. If you don't vote for:

McCain - you're ageist
Hillary\Palin - you're sexist
Obama - you're a racist

That pretty much sums it up.  Anyway you vote someone can say you're a bigot.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/22/08 at 3:38 pm

There was an interesting op-ed piece in today's paper. Nicholas Kristof basically said that it is NOT ok to not vote for him because of his race but it IS ok not to vote for him because of his religion-so they are swirling lies that he is a Muslin & took the oath with his hand on the Koran rather than the Bible.  ::) ::)  What really gets me is that people believe that he is Muslim yet they jump all over him about his association with the Rev. Wright. I just don't get that logic.

The push to 'otherize' Obama
By Nicholas D. Kristof
Published: September 22, 2008

Here's a sad monument to the sleaziness of this U.S. presidential campaign: Almost one-third of voters "know" that Barack Obama is a Muslim or believe that he could be.

In short, the political campaign to transform Obama into a Muslim is succeeding. The real loser as that happens isn't just Obama, but America's entire political process.

A Pew Research Center survey released a few days ago found that only half of Americans correctly know that Obama is a Christian. Meanwhile, 13 percent of registered voters say that he is a Muslim, compared with 12 percent in June and 10 percent in March.

More ominously, a rising share - now 16 percent - say they aren't sure about his religion because they've heard "different things" about it.

When I've traveled around the country, particularly to my childhood home in rural Oregon, I've been struck by the number of people who ask something like: That Obama - is he really a Christian? Isn't he a Muslim or something? Didn't he take his oath of office on the Koran?

In conservative Christian circles and on Christian radio stations, there are even widespread theories that Obama just may be the Antichrist. Seriously.

John Green, of the Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life, says that about 10 percent of Americans believe America may be in the Book of Revelation's "end times" and are on the lookout for the Antichrist.

A constant barrage of e-mail and broadcasts suggest that Obama just may be it.

The online Red State Shop sells T-shirts, mugs and stickers exploiting the idea. Some shirts and stickers portray a large "O" with horns, above a caption: "The Anti-Christ."

To his credit, McCain himself has never raised doubts about Obama's religion. But a McCain commercial last month mimicked the words and imagery of the best-selling Christian "Left Behind" book series in ways that would have set off alarm bells among evangelicals nervous about the Antichrist.

McCain himself is not popular with evangelicals. But they will vote for him if they think the other guy may be on Satan's side.

In fact, of course, Obama took his oath on the Bible, not - as the rumors have it - on the Koran. He is far more active in church than McCain is.

(Just imagine for a moment if it were the black candidate in this election, rather than the white candidate, who was born in Central America, was an indifferent churchgoer, had graduated near the bottom of his university class, had dumped his first wife, had regularly displayed an explosive and profane temper, and had referred to the Pakistani-Iraqi border ... .)

What is happening, I think, is this: Religious prejudice is becoming a proxy for racial prejudice. In public at least, it's not acceptable to express reservations about a candidate's skin color, so discomfort about race is sublimated into concerns about whether Obama is sufficiently Christian.

The result is this campaign to "otherize" Obama. Nobody needs to point out that he is black, but there's a persistent effort to exaggerate other differences, to de-Americanize him.

Raising doubts about a candidate based on the religion of his grandfather is toxic and profoundly un-American, cracking the melting pot we Americans emerged from. Someday people will look back at the innuendoes about Obama with the same disgust with which we regard the smears of Al Smith as a Catholic candidate in 1928.

I'm writing in part out of a sense of personal responsibility.

Those who suggest that Obama is a Muslim - as if that in itself were wrong - regularly cite my own columns, especially an interview last year in which I asked him about Islam and his boyhood in Indonesia. In that interview, Obama praised the Arabic call to prayer as "one of the prettiest sounds on earth at sunset," and he repeated the opening of it.

This should surprise no one: The call to prayer blasts from mosque loudspeakers five times a day, and Obama would have had to have been deaf not to learn the words as a child. But critics, like Jerome Corsi, whose book denouncing Obama, "The Obama Nation," is No. 2 on the New York Times best-seller list, quote from that column to argue that Obama has mysterious ties to Islam. I feel a particular obligation not to let my own writing be twisted so as to inflame bigotry and xenophobia.

American journalists need to do more than call the play-by-play this election cycle. We also need to blow the whistle on such egregious fouls calculated to undermine the political process and magnify the ugliest prejudices that the nation has done so much to overcome.

Cat

Written By: Dagwood on 09/22/08 at 6:21 pm

I think that these idiots need to move past the race/gender/religion thing and actually discuss issues. 

I know, that would make sense...sorry. ;D

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/22/08 at 7:18 pm

There's no question in my mind that race will play a part in this election.  I just hope that a high black and youth turnout counter balances the racist vote.

Sounds rather racist and ageist in itself.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/22/08 at 9:30 pm

Let's not pretend the white folks didin't have a rigged advantage for 450 years!!
::)

Written By: Macphisto on 09/22/08 at 11:18 pm

If you vote for or against someone because of race, gender, religion, or practically anything other than policy and experience....  you're an idiot.

Written By: Don Carlos on 09/23/08 at 10:34 am

My point was that those two demographics are strongly for Obama, as I am, because of his positions on the issues.  There is nothing racist or ageist about it.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/23/08 at 11:17 am

If you vote for or against someone because of race, gender, religion, or practically anything other than policy and experience....  you're an idiot.

Well said. Karma to you.

Cat

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 09/23/08 at 7:49 pm

I don't suppose anyone votes for who they think is best for the country anymore?  Gotta wonder how many people had issues with Kennedy being Catholic? 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/23/08 at 10:24 pm

I don't suppose anyone votes for who they think is best for the country anymore?  Gotta wonder how many people had issues with Kennedy being Catholic? 

Lots.  The big scare was the pope would be running the country if JFK gets in.  It wasn't quite as bad as when Al Smith ran in 1928 and the Klan was burning crosses at every stop on his Southern tour!

Written By: danootaandme on 09/24/08 at 6:22 am

Lots, I remember it well.  Many of them cheered on the day he was shot.

Written By: Brian06 on 09/24/08 at 6:35 am

So true, very sad that this is still an issue to a certain portion of the population.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 09/24/08 at 4:06 pm

Lots.  The big scare was the pope would be running the country if JFK gets in.  It wasn't quite as bad as when Al Smith ran in 1928 and the Klan was burning crosses at every stop on his Southern tour!

So bigotry is not a new thing to a national election.  With the way people are talking you think it was.  Even with anti-Catholic bigotry Kennedy still won.  Could it possibly be he won because of his merit and not religion? Novel ideal.  Back in 1928 the Klan was against anyone not WASP, any excuse to burn a cross.

Written By: danootaandme on 09/24/08 at 4:21 pm

But this is the world we live in

http://www.digitaljournal.com/img/7/9/9/0/2/2/i/4/0/0/o/CG.jpg

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/24/08 at 9:02 pm

Ohhhh, nooo, said they, that wasn't intended to be racist! We just meant...we were only saying...it was referring to...uhhhh...hold on a sec...
:-[

Written By: danootaandme on 09/25/08 at 4:49 am

Then there is this:

www.oregonlive.com/news/index.ssf/2008/09/racial_incident_rattles_george.html

Effigy of Obama alarms George Fox campus
by Suzanne Pardington, The Oregonian
Wednesday September 24, 2008, 9:25 PM

NEWBERG -- Students and campus leaders at George Fox University denounced the hanging of a life-size cardboard cutout of U.S. Sen. Barack Obama on campus, vowing to work together to fight racism and intolerance.

A custodial crew at the 3,355-student Christian university found the Obama likeness hanging by fishing wire from a tree at 7 a.m. Tuesday and tore it down before students arrived for classes. A sign taped to the cutout said, "Act Six reject," referring to a scholarship program for Portland students, many of whom are minorities.

Written By: Don Carlos on 09/25/08 at 11:19 am

Then there is this:

NEWBERG -- Students and campus leaders at George Fox University denounced the hanging of a life-size cardboard cutout of U.S. Sen. Barack Obama on campus, vowing to work together to fight racism and intolerance.

A custodial crew at the 3,355-student Christian university found the Obama likeness hanging by fishing wire from a tree at 7 a.m. Tuesday and tore it down before students arrived for classes. A sign taped to the cutout said, "Act Six reject," referring to a scholarship program for Portland students, many of whom are minorities.

I was going to post this - you beat me to it.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 09/25/08 at 2:09 pm

Then there is this:

Well brain damaged bigots are a minority too, I guess Act Six doesn't cover them.  Obama being the bunt of every racists anger is really uncalled for. Here's a twist, George Fox has all of it's students denounce homosexuality.  Last time I checked the LGBTQ community was still considered a minority.  Could it be someone who's been forced into the closet and is ticked off because minorities are shown to be more favorable over other minorities.

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/25/08 at 11:04 pm

Sorry, Phil.  Danoota&Me started it.

And these are the hands we're given,

(( img = that guy whose picture involves two hands and whose domain name begins with "goat", the posting of whom is probably frowned upon in polite company ))

Use them and let's start tryin'

I cannot type that last line -it's in!

Written By: Macphisto on 09/25/08 at 11:27 pm

"Can't you see this is a land of confusion..."

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/25/08 at 11:55 pm

And not much glove to go 'round!

(Aren't you glad this ain't a .GIF of claymation?)

Written By: Macphisto on 09/25/08 at 11:58 pm

alternate chorus...  "Can't you see I have some rectal contusions"

Written By: Red Ant on 09/26/08 at 12:27 am

alternate chorus...  "Can't you see I have some rectal contusions"

or

"Can't they see I am a man of delusion
So this was the cage I lived in (oh-woah-oh)
And this is the script I'm given (oh-woah)
Useless is that girl Palin
We'll make this a place worth trading in" - performed by McCain

Heck, change around the puppets a bit, themes, and Genesis' video would still work today.

Ant

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/26/08 at 2:31 am

Well brain damaged bigots are a minority too, I guess Act Six doesn't cover them.  Obama being the bunt of every racists anger is really uncalled for. Here's a twist, George Fox has all of it's students denounce homosexuality.  Last time I checked the LGBTQ community was still considered a minority.  Could it be someone who's been forced into the closet and is ticked off because minorities are shown to be more favorable over other minorities.

Why is it that all these "Christian" outfits get so hung up (sorry :-\\) about homosexuality.  The one that always gets me is their standard reply, "Love the sinner, hate the sin."  Then they say they don't think homosexuality is a sin in itself.  It's the way they...it's the...you know... Well, it all comes down to a bunch of repressed zealots obsessed with the carnal aspects of homosexual union.  Maybe they should ask themselves why that's the primary thing they think about when it comes to gay lifestyle.  Could it be they're envious over what they can't have because some screamin' pastor says they'll burn in hell fer it?

Maybe someday the U.S. will elect a gay president.  I wouldn't hold your breath....

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/26/08 at 11:35 am

"Can't you see this is a land of confusion..."

I LOVE that song.

Cat

Written By: thereshegoes on 09/26/08 at 12:08 pm

Why is it that all these "Christian" outfits get so hung up (sorry :-\\) about homosexuality.  The one that always gets me is their standard reply, "Love the sinner, hate the sin."  Then they say they don't think homosexuality is a sin in itself.  It's the way they...it's the...you know... Well, it all comes down to a bunch of repressed zealots obsessed with the carnal aspects of homosexual union.  Maybe they should ask themselves why that's the primary thing they think about when it comes to gay lifestyle.  Could it be they're envious over what they can't have because some screamin' pastor says they'll burn in hell fer it?

Maybe someday the U.S. will elect a gay president.  I wouldn't hold your breath....

How do you know you haven't yet?  ;)

I suspect the Christian problem is more with just the sex. Some of them assume that gays and lesbians just have more sex than straight people,that all their existence revolves around sex and that couldn't be more untrue. All gays i know complain about how they never get laid,just like us straight  :(

Written By: SemperYoda on 09/26/08 at 1:40 pm

Just saw this on another forum.  Regardless of what you may think of it, I thought I would put it out there.

White Privilege

I'm going to hi-jack this thread for a short bit... Nothing I'm going to put here isn't known, but its an interesting read anyway. Besides, it can do nothing more than piss off the repugs...

This is Your Nation on White Privilege
    http://www.redroom.com:80/blog/tim-wise/this-your-nation-white-privilege
    September 13, 2008, 2:01 pm
    By Tim Wise

For those who still can’t grasp the concept of white privilege, or who are constantly looking for some easy-to-understand examples of it, perhaps this list will help.

White privilege is when you can get pregnant at seventeen like Bristol Palin and everyone is quick to insist that your life and that of your family is a personal matter, and that
no one has a right to judge you or your parents, because “every family has challenges,” even as black and Latino families with similar “challenges” are regularly typified as irresponsible, pathological and arbiters of social decay.

White privilege is when you can call yourself a “f**kin’ redneck,” like Bristol Palin’s boyfriend does, and talk about how if anyone messes with you, you'll “kick their f**kin' ass,” and talk about how you like to “shoot s**t” for fun, and still be viewed as a responsible, all-American boy (and a great son-in-law to be) rather than a thug.

White privilege is when you can attend four different colleges in six years like Sarah Palin did (one of which you basically failed out of, then returned to after making up some coursework at a community college), and no one questions your intelligence or commitment to achievement, whereas a person of color who did this would be viewed as unfit for college, and probably someone who only got in in the first place because of affirmative action.

White privilege is when you can claim that being mayor of a town smaller than most medium-sized colleges, and then Governor of a state with about the same number of people as the lower fifth of the island of Manhattan, makes you ready to potentially be president, and people don’t all piss on themselves with laughter, while being a black U.S. Senator, two-term state Senator, and constitutional law scholar, means you’re “untested.”

White privilege is being able to say that you support the words “under God” in the pledge of allegiance because “if it was good enough for the founding fathers, it’s good enough for me,” and not be immediately disqualified from holding office--since, after all, the pledge was written in the late 1800s and the “under God” part wasn’t added until the 1950s--while believing that reading accused criminals and terrorists their rights (because, ya know, the Constitution, which you used to teach at a prestigious law school requires it), is a dangerous and silly idea only supported by mushy liberals.

White privilege is being able to be a gun enthusiast and not make people immediately scared of you.

White privilege is being able to have a husband who was a member of an extremist political party that wants your state to secede from the Union, and whose motto was “Alaska first,” and no one questions your patriotism or that of your family, while if you're black and your spouse merely fails to come to a 9/11 memorial so she can be home with her kids on the first day of school, people immediately think she’s being disrespectful.

White privilege is being able to make fun of community organizers and the work they do--like, among other things, fight for the right of women to vote, or for civil rights, or the 8-hour workday, or an end to child labor--and people think you’re being pithy and tough, but if you merely question the experience of a small town mayor and 18-month governor with no foreign policy expertise beyond a class she took in college--you’re somehow being mean, or even sexist.

White privilege is being able to convince white women who don’t even agree with you on any substantive issue to vote for you and your running mate anyway, because all of a sudden your presence on the ticket has inspired confidence in these same white women, and made them give your party a “second look.”

White privilege is being able to fire people who didn’t support your political campaigns and not be accused of abusing your power or being a typical politician who engages in favoritism, while being black and merely knowing some folks from the old-line political machines in Chicago means you must be corrupt.

White privilege is being able to attend churches over the years whose pastors say that people who voted for John Kerry or merely criticize George W. Bush are going to hell, and that the U.S. is an explicitly Christian nation and the job of Christians is to bring Christian theological principles into government, and who bring in speakers who say the conflict in the Middle East is God’s punishment on Jews for rejecting Jesus, and everyone can still think you’re just a good church-going Christian, but if you’re black and friends with a black pastor who has noted (as have Colin Powell and the U.S. Department of Defense) that terrorist attacks are often the result of U.S. foreign policy and who talks about the history of racism and its effect on black people, you’re an extremist who probably hates America.

White privilege is not knowing what the Bush Doctrine is when asked by a reporter, and then people get angry at the reporter for asking you such a “trick question,” while being black and merely refusing to give one-word answers to the queries of Bill O’Reilly means you’re dodging the question, or trying to seem overly intellectual and nuanced.

White privilege is being able to claim your experience as a POW has anything at all to do with your fitness for president, while being black and experiencing racism is, as Sarah Palin has referred to it a “light” burden.

And finally, white privilege is the only thing that could possibly allow someone to become president when he has voted with George W. Bush 90 percent of the time, even as unemployment is skyrocketing, people are losing their homes, inflation is rising, and the U.S. is increasingly isolated from world opinion, just because white voters aren’t sure about that whole “change” thing. Ya know, it’s just too vague and ill-defined, unlike, say, four more years of the same, which is very concrete and certain…

White privilege is, in short, the problem.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/26/08 at 2:48 pm

Just saw this on another forum.  Regardless of what you may think of it, I thought I would put it out there.

White Privilege

I'm going to hi-jack this thread for a short bit... Nothing I'm going to put here isn't known, but its an interesting read anyway. Besides, it can do nothing more than piss off the repugs...

By Tim Wise

For those who still can’t grasp the concept of white privilege, or who are constantly looking for some easy-to-understand examples of it, perhaps this list will help.

White privilege is when you can get pregnant at seventeen like Bristol Palin and everyone is quick to insist that your life and that of your family is a personal matter, and that
no one has a right to judge you or your parents, because “every family has challenges,” even as black and Latino families with similar “challenges” are regularly typified as irresponsible, pathological and arbiters of social decay.

White privilege is when you can call yourself a “f**kin’ redneck,” like Bristol Palin’s boyfriend does, and talk about how if anyone messes with you, you'll “kick their f**kin' ass,” and talk about how you like to “shoot s**t” for fun, and still be viewed as a responsible, all-American boy (and a great son-in-law to be) rather than a thug.

White privilege is when you can attend four different colleges in six years like Sarah Palin did (one of which you basically failed out of, then returned to after making up some coursework at a community college), and no one questions your intelligence or commitment to achievement, whereas a person of color who did this would be viewed as
unfit for college, and probably someone who only got in in the first place because of affirmative action. White privilege is when you can claim that being mayor of a
town smaller than most medium-sized colleges, and then Governor of a state with about the same number of people as the lower fifth of the island of Manhattan, makes you ready
to potentially be president, and people don’t all piss on themselves with laughter, while being a black U.S. Senator, two-term state Senator, and constitutional law scholar,
means you’re “untested.”

White privilege is being able to say that you support the words “under God” in the pledge of allegiance because “if it was good enough for the founding fathers, it’s good enough for me,” and not be immediately disqualified from holding office--since, after all, the pledge was written in the late 1800s and the “under God” part wasn’t added until the 1950s--while believing that reading accused criminals and terrorists their rights (because, ya know, the Constitution, which you used to teach at a prestigious law school requires it), is a dangerous and silly idea only supported by mushy liberals.

White privilege is being able to be a gun enthusiast and not make people immediately scared of you.

White privilege is being able to have a husband who was a member of an extremist political party that wants your state to secede from the Union, and whose motto was “Alaska
first,” and no one questions your patriotism or that of your family, while if you're black and your spouse merely fails to come to a 9/11 memorial so she can be home with her kids on the first day of school, people immediately think she’s being disrespectful.

White privilege is being able to make fun of community  organizers and the work they do--like, among other things, fight for the right of women to vote, or for civil rights,
or the 8-hour workday, or an end to child labor--and people think you’re being pithy and tough, but if you merely question the experience of a small town mayor and 18-month governor with no foreign policy expertise beyond a class she took in college--you’re somehow being mean, or even sexist.

White privilege is being able to convince white women who don’t even agree with you on any substantive issue to vote for you and your running mate anyway, because all of a   
sudden your presence on the ticket has inspired confidence in these same white women, and made them give your party a “second look.”

White privilege is being able to fire people who didn’t support your political campaigns and not be accused of abusing your power or being a typical politician who engages in
favoritism, while being black and merely knowing some folks from the old-line political machines in Chicago means you must be corrupt.

White privilege is being able to attend churches over the years whose pastors say that people who voted for John Kerry or merely criticize George W. Bush are going to hell, and that the U.S. is an explicitly Christian nation and the job of Christians is to bring Christian theological principles into government, and who bring in speakers who say the conflict in the Middle East is God’s punishment on Jews for rejecting Jesus, and everyone can still think you’re just a good church-going Christian, but if you’re black and friends with a black pastor who has noted (as have Colin Powell and the U.S. Department of Defense) that terrorist attacks are often the result of U.S. foreign policy and who talks about the history of racism and its effect on black people, you’re an extremist who probably hates America.

White privilege is not knowing what the Bush Doctrine is when asked by a reporter, and then people get angry at the reporter for asking you such a “trick question,” while being black and merely refusing to give one-word answers to the queries of Bill O’Reilly means you’re dodging the question, or trying to seem overly intellectual and nuanced.

White privilege is being able to claim your experience as a POW has anything at all to do with your fitness for president, while being black and experiencing racism is, as Sarah Palin has referred to it a “light” burden.

And finally, white privilege is the only thing that could possibly allow someone to become president when he has voted with George W. Bush 90 percent of the time, even as unemployment is skyrocketing, people are losing their homes, inflation is rising, and the U.S. is increasingly isolated from world opinion, just because white voters aren’t sure about that whole “change” thing. Ya know, it’s just too vague and ill-defined, unlike, say, four more years of the same, which is very concrete and certain…

White privilege is, in short, the problem.

Outstanding. I wish I could applaud you again but I will have to wait until tomorrow.

Cat

Written By: SemperYoda on 09/26/08 at 3:12 pm

Outstanding. I wish I could applaud you again but I will have to wait until tomorrow.

Cat

Well, I just copied and pasted a little.  LoL. 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/26/08 at 3:44 pm

Well, I just copied and pasted a little.  LoL. 

It was definitely worthy of repeating.

Cat

Written By: Macphisto on 09/26/08 at 9:22 pm

or

"Can't they see I am a man of delusion
So this was the cage I lived in (oh-woah-oh)
And this is the script I'm given (oh-woah)
Useless is that girl Palin
We'll make this a place worth trading in" - performed by McCain

Heck, change around the puppets a bit, themes, and Genesis' video would still work today.

Ant

LOL...  I wish I could give you 10 karma for that one...  Oh by the way...  thanks for the Guinness...  ;)

Written By: Macphisto on 09/26/08 at 9:24 pm

White Privilege

By Tim Wise

White privilege is ...

Ah yes...  But I wish I had the privilege of getting hired or a scholarship for just being white.

Written By: danootaandme on 09/27/08 at 5:22 am

Ah yes...  But I wish I had the privilege of getting hired or a scholarship for just being white.

The implication being that minorities or women get hired or get scholarships for just being minorities or women.  Having brains, work ethic, and skills don't enter into their equation?

I wish I had the privilege of being hired or getting a scholarship with out having to prove over and over and over that, even though I am a minority and a woman, I am just as intelligent and reliable as any white guy.  Being a woman in construction that is an everyday thing.  (I get sooooo tired of hearing "how'd you know that?")
                                                                                                      ("same way you do, idiot")

Written By: Macphisto on 09/27/08 at 10:24 am

The implication being that minorities or women get hired or get scholarships for just being minorities or women.  Having brains, work ethic, and skills don't enter into their equation?

I wish I had the privilege of being hired or getting a scholarship with out having to prove over and over and over that, even though I am a minority and a woman, I am just as intelligent and reliable as any white guy.  Being a woman in construction that is an everyday thing.  (I get sooooo tired of hearing "how'd you know that?")
                                                                                                       ("same way you do, idiot")

As long as affirmative action exists, people will logically have to consider that part of why a minority might have gotten hired was due to his/her race.  You can pull the race card or whatever you like, but the truth of the matter is that affirmative action only encourages racism from both whites and minorities.  When you favor one race over another through laws, that's still racism, and the resulting frustration that generates among whites leads to racism among them as well.

Again, if you want society to move closer to racial equality, you have to make the system at least officially colorblind.  Laws can't really get rid of racism on a personal level -- that just takes time to fix.

Written By: Don Carlos on 09/27/08 at 10:35 am

As long as affirmative action exists, people will logically have to consider that part of why a minority might have gotten hired was due to his/her race.  You can pull the race card or whatever you like, but the truth of the matter is that affirmative action only encourages racism from both whites and minorities.  When you favor one race over another through laws, that's still racism, and the resulting frustration that generates among whites leads to racism among them as well.

Again, if you want society to move closer to racial equality, you have to make the system at least officially colorblind.  Laws can't really get rid of racism on a personal level -- that just takes time to fix.

There is a difference between prejudice (how one feels about something) and racism (how society disables some people because of there race).  Affirmative action is designed to assure that you (or anyone else) can't manifest your prejudice to the detriment of others, and to overcome the institutional barriers that hinder minorities.  In effect, it says that when two people are equal in the characteristics that matter (skill etc) an affirmative action is to reward the traditionally disadvantaged.

THat list of white privilege was awsume.

Written By: Macphisto on 09/27/08 at 10:43 am

There is a difference between prejudice (how one feels about something) and racism (how society disables some people because of there race).  Affirmative action is designed to assure that you (or anyone else) can't manifest your prejudice to the detriment of others, and to overcome the institutional barriers that hinder minorities.  In effect, it says that when two people are equal in the characteristics that matter (skill etc) an affirmative action is to reward the traditionally disadvantaged.

THat list of white privilege was awsume.

That may have been the intention, but it instead encourages favoritism.  There may not be any official quotas involved, but the net effect is that employers look to fill an imaginary quota for having a certain number of people of each race.  This is detrimental to the hiring process, because it takes the emphasis off of qualifications.

It's like electing a presidential candidate because he's black or because she's a woman.  It totally misses the point of the position itself.

It also basically tells minorities that they can't cut it without government help.

Written By: danootaandme on 09/27/08 at 4:06 pm

The bigger problem, for me anyway, is that without affirmative action I would not have been hired at all.  When people scream about quotas they have to realize that there have always been quotas, but they are used to exclude.  One racial subset(white Christian males) have been, and continue to be, favored over all.  Just because it isn't legislated doesn't mean it doesn't happen.  The system has never been colorblind and without affirmative action it will revert to what it was.  Affirmative Action came into play so that the quotas were used to include.  I personally don't give a rats*ass why people think I was or wasn't hired.  I have to job, I do my job, and I get paid. That would not have happened without affirmative action. 

Without government intervention minorities and women would not get hired, nor would they be admitted to the best schools, or any schools, no matter the qualifications.

Written By: Macphisto on 09/27/08 at 4:45 pm

The bigger problem, for me anyway, is that without affirmative action I would not have been hired at all.  When people scream about quotas they have to realize that there have always been quotas, but they are used to exclude.  One racial subset(white Christian males) have been, and continue to be, favored over all.  Just because it isn't legislated doesn't mean it doesn't happen.  The system has never been colorblind and without affirmative action it will revert to what it was.  Affirmative Action came into play so that the quotas were used to include.  I personally don't give a rats*ass why people think I was or wasn't hired.  I have to job, I do my job, and I get paid. That would not have happened without affirmative action. 

Without government intervention minorities and women would not get hired, nor would they be admitted to the best schools, or any schools, no matter the qualifications.

I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree on all that, because I've seen plenty of evidence here that contradicts this.

Written By: danootaandme on 09/27/08 at 6:50 pm

I work in a field that is dominated by white males.  The thing is some of us have actually gotten apologies, or close to apologies from white males who are older and remember when they were the only ones in the business around here.  They remember the opposition to women and minorities and most were a part of that opposition and have admitted it, and have apologized for some of the things they did.  They, at the time, thought it wasn't a place for women, and didn't believe in the abilities of anyone who wasn't them.  They will readily admit that there is still a problem.  This isn't stuff that I have heard of, this is the life I live.  It isn't as if things are peachy keen, love and kisses, now.  A couple of weeks ago an Afr/Am carpenter who had been complaining about someone leaving him notes(he saved them) walked into the supply closet and there was a noose with a note that said "you could be next".  He got a couple of people in to see it, took pictures, and called the police to the job sight before going to the company.  Turned out it was his own steward who was doing it.  The steward wasn't fired, he was moved to another job where he is......the job steward!.  The company says he is innocent until proven guilty, but he admitted it.  The charges are pending, there is a suit against the company, and that weekend we were all laughing, a bitter laugh, because all of the sudden minorities were offered weekend O.T.  Something we hadn't been offered before.  All weekend we joked about being invited to the company "colored picnic"

Written By: Macphisto on 09/27/08 at 10:56 pm

Well, it sounds like Boston is a lot more racist than Greensboro is.  We have race issues here too, but I've yet to see anything like that here.  I have several black coworkers as well, and we've talked about a lot of personal things before, yet none of them have shared any stories like that.

I'm not saying it's nonexistent where I live, but from what I've gathered from several minorities I've known, it would seem that a lot of the South is actually less racist than some of the North is.  Obviously, things were quite different back during the Civil Rights Movement.

Written By: danootaandme on 09/28/08 at 5:57 am

Well, it sounds like Boston is a lot more racist than Greensboro is.  We have race issues here too, but I've yet to see anything like that here.  I have several black coworkers as well, and we've talked about a lot of personal things before, yet none of them have shared any stories like that.

I'm not saying it's nonexistent where I live, but from what I've gathered from several minorities I've known, it would seem that a lot of the South is actually less racist than some of the North is.  Obviously, things were quite different back during the Civil Rights Movement.

Most people are surprised to find the level of racism in Boston, considered the home of the abolitionist movement, land of the free home of the brave.  In the south the racism was much more virulent, but it was also out in the open.  There seemed to be a dramatic turn around in the south after the civil rights movement.  It was much worse down there, but things changed so dramatically that my father, who left after WWII vowing never to return, was very surprised how much better things weree when he did return to Louisiana for his fathers funeral in the late '70s.  In the north the racism was(is) less blatant, much more subtle, much more insidious, making it harder to pinpoint.  It continues to be that way, which is why it is harder to counteract, until the scenario I described rips the scab off of the wound.

Written By: Macphisto on 09/28/08 at 11:26 am

Most people are surprised to find the level of racism in Boston, considered the home of the abolitionist movement, land of the free home of the brave.  In the south the racism was much more virulent, but it was also out in the open.  There seemed to be a dramatic turn around in the south after the civil rights movement.  It was much worse down there, but things changed so dramatically that my father, who left after WWII vowing never to return, was very surprised how much better things weree when he did return to Louisiana for his fathers funeral in the late '70s.  In the north the racism was(is) less blatant, much more subtle, much more insidious, making it harder to pinpoint.  It continues to be that way, which is why it is harder to counteract, until the scenario I described rips the scab off of the wound.

Agreed, plus, I think Southern whites have more of an honor system than Northern whites.  We might have more courtesy toward you if we like you, but we won't hide our prejudices -- we'll let you know if we don't like you.  There are both upsides and downsides to this, but if nothing else, we're honest.

Written By: Don Carlos on 09/28/08 at 11:42 am

Right on.

My college, Rutgers in Newark N.J. (a majority black city) was almost exclusively white, all commuters from suburbia in the 1960s.  There were no quotas, but no effort was being made to recruit black students.  There was also red lining in real estate.  A bunch of us worked to change that.  We insisted that the college reach out to urban high schools  and the numbers began to change.  We also pulled some stunts on real estate agents, sending first a white couple, then a black couple with the same fake profiles.  Guess what, we were shown different sets of properties obviously based on race.  I guess things have gotten better, but the same sh*t goes on.

Written By: Shacks Train on 10/02/08 at 1:16 am

I remember not too long ago a commercial on TV for some start your own home buss.....

The white guy says...."my company made $250,000 dollars last year"

The white woman says...."my company made $70,000 dollars last year"

& the black man says...."my company made $ 40,000 last year"

Its no longer seen on Canadian airwaves but it put an order to things.....

Shame is it takes a long time for the old ways to subside & turn around proper thinking!
People are people  to me & you could go any where in the world & still come across this problem!
Just look at Europe...a lot of their hatred is based on religion....

I never had a problem with where or who a person was
But too many people do

Written By: danootaandme on 10/05/08 at 6:26 am

He should have been fired

Teacher Suspended For Racial Slur Directed At Obama »

A Florida teacher was suspended after students said he used a racial epithet directed at presidential candidate Barack Obama.

Seventh-grade social studies teacher Greg Howard of Marianna Middle School was given a written reprimand on Wednesday for "racially inappropriate comments" he made in his classroom on Sept. 26, according to a Jackson County School Board news release.

Howard reportedly wrote the word CHANGE as an acronym on the board and wrote an expletive with the letter "N." The phrase he wrote has been reported as "Can You Help A (expletive) Get Elected" and "Come Help A (expletive) Get Elected." School district officials did not return calls seeking comment Thursday, and Howard could not be reached.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 10/05/08 at 2:13 pm

He should have been fired

Teacher Suspended For Racial Slur Directed At Obama »

A Florida teacher was suspended after students said he used a racial epithet directed at presidential candidate Barack Obama.

Seventh-grade social studies teacher Greg Howard of Marianna Middle School was given a written reprimand on Wednesday for "racially inappropriate comments" he made in his classroom on Sept. 26, according to a Jackson County School Board news release.

Howard reportedly wrote the word CHANGE as an acronym on the board and wrote an expletive with the letter "N." The phrase he wrote has been reported as "Can You Help A (expletive) Get Elected" and "Come Help A (expletive) Get Elected." School district officials did not return calls seeking comment Thursday, and Howard could not be reached.

That guy sounds about as redneck as they come.  Yep he should have been fired.  When are people going to just progress and just live and let live.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/06/08 at 12:11 am

Most white males are dominated by other white males.  Just because you're white and male doesn't mean you get to dominate!

McCain can't win unless white males don't feel Obama's not mad at them!  If the dominant white males (and those who think they are) feel he is a threat to them, they won't vote Obama.  I hate to say it as such, by I'm afraid it's true.  That's why he's donned the kid gloves!

Written By: philbo on 10/06/08 at 9:20 am

...Howard reportedly wrote the word CHANGE as an acronym on the board and wrote an expletive with the letter "N." The phrase he wrote has been reported as "Can You Help A (expletive) Get Elected"...

Can You Help A Teacher Learn To Spell?

Check for new replies or respond here...