» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Palin At The U.N.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/23/08 at 11:32 am

I just think it is so funny how the Repubs think that they can give Palin a crash-course in foreign affairs by having her go meet people at the U.N. Do they really believe that the American public is THAT stupid to think that this is going to make her qualified by January? I guess all those school kids who took a U.N. tour are also qualified to be the V.P.  ::)

Comments? Thoughts? 

Cat

Subject: Re: Palin At The U.N.

Written By: shackled on 09/23/08 at 12:19 pm

At least it's an acknowledgement that she's inexperienced and they're doing something to change that...
It's a small step in the right direction.

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/23/08 at 4:08 pm

At least it's an acknowledgement that she's inexperienced and they're doing something to change that...
It's a small step in the right direction.

CNN pulled their camera crew and a couple news agencies like the AP complained because they weren't going to be allowed to attend the meetings with her.  The GOP just wants a camera op. 

Written By: Tia on 09/23/08 at 4:13 pm

saw this on the message board for another blog, about palin's impending visit to the UN. good stuff.

So it’s “take your VP to the UN” day eh?

Yeah, I wish I were a fly on the wall, too.

Palin: Is this where you work daddy?

McCain: No, Sarah. This is where really important people come to talk about stuff that goes on all around the world.

Palin: Cool!

McCain: So, Sarah, would you like to meet Ahmed Karzai?

Palin: Hi.

Karzai: Ah, John, good to see you. And so who do wee have here?

Palin: Sarah.

Karzai: I see your running mate has brought you to see the UN. Are you enjoying yourself?

Palin: Yes.

Karzai: Well, I’m so glad! I’m sure you’ll have a wonderful time at the UN, today, meeting many of the people your running mate will work with if he wins the presidency.

Palin

McCain: Sarah, don’t be rude. Say thank you.

Palin Thank you.

Karzai: Well you have a nice visit, young lady. And John it was really nice to see you again.

McCain: Thank you, Ahmed, it was swell.

http://wonkette.com/402949/media-standoff-press-almost-boycotts-sarah-palin-at-the-un#comment-104716

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/23/08 at 5:59 pm

Do they really believe that the American public is THAT stupid

YES THEY DOOOOOO!!!!!

(and they're not altogether wrong.)

::)

And TIA,
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/14/sign10.gif

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/23/08 at 10:14 pm

...Do they really believe that the American public is THAT stupid...

Comments? Thoughts? 

Comment:  You're new here, aren't you?

Thought:  Having sat through five hours of Senate testimony today, it doesn't matter who "they" are, nor what the policy issue is, nor which side of the opinion "they" are on, the correct answer to any question of that form is always going to be of the form "You're new here, aren't you".

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/23/08 at 10:19 pm

Okey-Dokey guys 'n' gals!
:D

Written By: Don Carlos on 09/24/08 at 11:40 am

I can just imagine her conversation with Henry the K.

"No Sarah, its not the Georgia that that left the union in 1863, this one is in Eurasia".

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/24/08 at 2:03 pm

"No Sarah, its not the Georgia that that left the union in 1863, this one is in Eurasia".

you'd be confusing her with that fancy word... Eurasia... better just tell her it's just over seas somewhere

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/24/08 at 9:09 pm

Georgia left the union in 1863?  Hot Dawg!  I didn't know there was an 1863!

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 09/24/08 at 10:27 pm

Georgia left the union in 1863?  Hot Dawg!  I didn't know there was an 1863!

That's before Alaska became a state, therefore it wouldn't be within her range of knowledge.

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/24/08 at 11:54 pm

you'd be confusing her with that fancy word... Eurasia... better just tell her it's just over seas somewhere

"No, not the one with Atlanta, the one we've always been at war with."

"You mean China?"

"Now you're catching on."

Written By: Don Carlos on 09/25/08 at 11:25 am

"No, not the one with Atlanta, the one we've always been at war with."

"You mean China?"

"Now you're catching on."

And then

Henry's aid
"Mr Kissinger, Senator McCain is here, shall I serve tea?"

Palin
Are we going to use the good China?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/26/08 at 2:52 am

That's before Alaska became a state, therefore it wouldn't be within her range of knowledge.

She's actually from I-da-ho!
:P

Written By: danootaandme on 09/26/08 at 6:31 am

I think you are giving her too much of credit.  I would think she would ask if this is where they get those nice peaches.   ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/26/08 at 3:47 pm

I think you are giving her too much of credit.  I would think she would ask if this is where they get those nice peaches.   ;D

From the look on Henry the K's face, he could have been thinking where she got HER nice peaches.  :D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/26/08 at 6:44 pm

From the look on Henry the K's face, he could have been thinking where she got HER nice peaches.  :D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

:D ;D :D ;D
Haw Haw Haw Haw!

Henry K's tools are a bit rusty by now but 30 years ago he woulda already shook her tree! 

Written By: danootaandme on 09/27/08 at 5:33 am

Cat

GOOD ONE!!!    ;D ;D

Written By: Don Carlos on 09/27/08 at 10:41 am

By the way, you really can't see Russia from Alaska.  Russia is in Europe, west of the Ural mountains.  What you can see is Siberia.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 09/27/08 at 5:07 pm

By the way, you really can't see Russia from Alaska.  Russia is in Europe, west of the Ural mountains.  What you can see is Siberia.

So why can't she go there? :)

Written By: Don Carlos on 09/28/08 at 11:55 am

So why can't she go there? :)

Send Sarah to Siberia?  Permanently?  What a great idea ;)

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 09/28/08 at 2:06 pm

Send Sarah to Siberia?  Permanently?  What a great idea ;)

The only drawback to that is she would endanger the wildlife there. :(

However, she could say "I can see Alaska from my igloo". ;D

Written By: Don Carlos on 09/29/08 at 11:03 am

The only drawback to that is she would endanger the wildlife there. :(

However, she could say "I can see Alaska from my igloo". ;D

Don't ou mean igoologue?

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 09/29/08 at 6:06 pm

Don't ou mean igoologue?

Yeah, that.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/29/08 at 7:11 pm

Call it Siberia, call it Russia, you sure as sh*t can't see it from Anchorage!  It's a rare day on which you can see across the Bering Straits even with binoculars.  Mostly it's fog, surf, ice, and a few frostbitten seagulls!  As for the end of the Aleutian Island achipelago, it's clear maybe 40 days of the year, and who the hell goes out there anyway?

Written By: danootaandme on 09/30/08 at 6:18 am

Call it Siberia, call it Russia, you sure as sh*t can't see it from Anchorage!  It's a rare day on which you can see across the Bering Straits even with binoculars.  Mostly it's fog, surf, ice, and a few frostbitten seagulls!  As for the end of the Aleutian Island achipelago, it's clear maybe 40 days of the year, and who the hell goes out there anyway?

Well, if she ever showed up at work....

www.politico.com/news/stories/0908/13736.html

Playing hooky pays off for Palin

By SCOTT LILLY | 9/23/08 5:06 AM EDT

"During a recent special session called by Palin herself, she faced criticism from several legislators for not showing up personally to push for her agenda. Someone at the Capitol even printed up buttons asking, ‘Where’s Sarah?’”

Despite all of the discussion of Sarah Palin’s performance as governor of Alaska, there has been little analysis of the simplest measure of performance: attendance. As Woody Allen said many years ago, “80 percent of success is just showing up.”

The Washington Post recently reported that, in her first 19 months as governor, Palin billed the state of Alaska per diem charges for 312 days she spent at her home in Wasilla. Palin’s staff has explained that it was appropriate to bill the state for expenses related to Palin staying in her own house because her “official duty station” was at the state capital of Juneau, where the governor’s official office and mansion are located.

Nineteen months totals 578 days, but after subtracting weekends and holidays, it is only about 397 workdays. Assuming Palin did not routinely bill the state for staying in her own home on weekends and holidays, she would have spent no more than 85 workdays in the state capital over the course of her 19 months in office, even if she traveled nowhere else in Alaska or outside of the state. That compares with 168 days that the Alaska Legislature was in session during the same period.

Check for new replies or respond here...