» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: The Virgin Mary comes to Springfield

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/02/08 at 12:57 am

I wish it was just a Simpsons episode, but it really happened in down the road from me in Springfield, Mass.  People are weeping at the image of the Virgin Mary in a window at Mercy Medical Center!
::)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081001/ap_on_fe_st/odd_holy_window

I mean, it's just nuts.  If I started shouting and point to the same plate glass window yelling, "Thor, it's Thor, I see Thor!"  Everybody would be like, "What a whacko!"  I'd get invited to stay there in that third wing!

But which is more plausible:  A god hits the couds with his mighty hammer and the thunder roars!

Or

God decides to send his only begotten son to Earth for what?  To die for everybody else's sins!  When I was a kid I could barely mow the lawn, feed the dog, and take out the trash let alone DIE for the sins of humanity?  So God's a dude so though he might be almighty powerful, he still can't do it right without a woman!  So He hits on Mary who just got married and she's all, "My lord I have not yet been taken in the marriage bed!"  God says, "Oh, we're not going to do it THAT way!"  And she's like, "There's not another way...."   And Presto-Change-o, Mary's expecting the sanctified issue.  And Joseph's all, "You two-timer, we didn't eve get to...before you went and...."  and Mary's all up in his grill yelling, "God wanted to bear him his only begotten son! What am I going to say, 'No'?  Besides it's like we actually had to do it. 
Well, OK, but if Harley ain't the Son of God it's gonna get ugly in court!"
"Harley Christ?  I don't think so, sweetie!"

I mean that sounds less like deus ex machina and more like "Married With Children" than Powerful Thor and Mischieveous Loki, but I said I was seeing  Loki in that window, the cops would be giving field-sobriety and trying to move me along!

Come on you people, you say the Rosary every day...isn't it good enough for the Virgin Mary to be close to your soul day and night than to appear as some apparition in a hospitial building window in some rathole of a city!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/11/angel7.gif

Subject: Re: The Virgin Mary comes to Springfield

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 10/02/08 at 1:14 am

http://www.masslive.com/cgi-bin/prxy/photogalleries/nph-cache.cgi/cache=3000;/mass/images/8038/03.jpg

I barely, almost, kinda see something that sorta resembles a shape that could look similar to the outline of it, but lol no, not really.

Written By: danootaandme on 10/02/08 at 2:55 am

I saw it on the late news.  People crying and saying the rosary.

Written By: gibbo on 10/02/08 at 4:10 am

I'm guessing that God, Jesus, Mary and Joseph (and probaly most Saints) could conjure up a better 'miracle' likeness than that one.

Written By: danootaandme on 10/02/08 at 5:24 am

I'm guessing that God, Jesus, Mary and Joseph (and probably most Saints) could conjure up a better 'miracle' likeness than that one.

I heard they can work wonders on a slice of toast ;D

Written By: Red Ant on 10/02/08 at 9:58 am

http://www.masslive.com/cgi-bin/prxy/photogalleries/nph-cache.cgi/cache=3000;/mass/images/8038/03.jpg

I barely, almost, kinda see something that sorta resembles a shape that could look similar to the outline of it, but lol no, not really.

That happens to pretty much any piece of glass that is washed with cheap glass cleaner.

I heard they can work wonders on a slice of toast ;D

;D

Ant

Written By: greenjello74 on 10/02/08 at 11:32 am

Yeah or condensation, anyone want to but a grilled cheese sandwich that looks like Christ? No How about a chip that looks like Pam Anderson?
:D :D :D :D ;D

Written By: ladybug316 on 10/02/08 at 12:36 pm

I can't see it at all.  Maybe it's invisible to atheists?  I hope I'm never at a place in my life where I need to look for these kind of signs  :(

Written By: Jessica on 10/02/08 at 1:14 pm

I can't see it at all.  Maybe it's invisible to atheists?  I hope I'm never at a place in my life where I need to look for these kind of signs 8):(

Speaking of Atheists, I found this in the "best of" craigslist last night:

Have you ever thought about what will happen to your pets after Jesus comes back to claim the souls of the saved during the Rapture and deliver them to heaven to enjoy ever lasting life? The bible clearly teaches that only those that have accepted Jesus as their savior will enter heaven (John 14:6, Romans 3:23), and we all know that pets do not have the cognitive ability to do this, so what will happen to your beloved pets? Surely without you there, they would be stuck inside your empty house, starving to death with no one to feed them, let them out to potty, or clean their litter box. This is probably not what you envision for your pets after you are gone. This is where I come in.

I am here to offer you pet care service for after the rapture. As an atheist, I will surely still be here on this earth post rapture and would love to look after your pets for a small fee and make sure they are still well taken care of after you and your family have been raptured. You will be able to look down on them from heaven and see them being well cared for by me and living happy, healthy lives. Do not let my atheism scare you! I am a moral and loving pet owner and would never do harm to any animal.

For a small deposit of only $50, you can be assured that your pets will be well cared for from the time that you are raptured until the end of their natural life. They will get adequate amounts of food, water, and shelter as well as plenty of exercise and socialization as I would imagine there will be a lot of pets that will be abandoned by Jesus the pet hater that will need to be cared for.

If interested, please email me for my PayPal address (you can also send me a check if you prefer) so you can assure that your pets will be taken care of after Jesus comes to take your soul to heaven. $50 is only a small price to pay to know that while you are enjoying everlasting bliss, your pets will be cared for until their end days. Thanks and have a great day!

I see the outline on the window, BTW.  Just looks like smudgies though.

Written By: ladybug316 on 10/02/08 at 2:31 pm

Have you ever thought about what will happen to your pets after Jesus comes back to claim the souls of the saved during the Rapture and deliver them to heaven to enjoy ever lasting life? The bible clearly teaches that only those that have accepted Jesus as their savior will enter heaven (John 14:6, Romans 3:23), and we all know that pets do not have the cognitive ability to do this, so what will happen to your beloved pets? Surely without you there, they would be stuck inside your empty house, starving to death with no one to feed them, let them out to potty, or clean their litter box. This is probably not what you envision for your pets after you are gone. This is where I come in.

I am here to offer you pet care service for after the rapture. As an atheist, I will surely still be here on this earth post rapture and would love to look after your pets for a small fee and make sure they are still well taken care of after you and your family have been raptured. You will be able to look down on them from heaven and see them being well cared for by me and living happy, healthy lives. Do not let my atheism scare you! I am a moral and loving pet owner and would never do harm to any animal.

For a small deposit of only $50, you can be assured that your pets will be well cared for from the time that you are raptured until the end of their natural life. They will get adequate amounts of food, water, and shelter as well as plenty of exercise and socialization as I would imagine there will be a lot of pets that will be abandoned by Jesus the pet hater that will need to be cared for.

If interested, please email me for my PayPal address (you can also send me a check if you prefer) so you can assure that your pets will be taken care of after Jesus comes to take your soul to heaven. $50 is only a small price to pay to know that while you are enjoying everlasting bliss, your pets will be cared for until their end days. Thanks and have a great day!

;D this is great.  Maybe that ark is still parked in Noah's slip... 

Written By: SemperYoda on 10/02/08 at 2:51 pm

Aah, the people we let vote in this country. 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/02/08 at 2:58 pm

I read this in the paper this morning. My question is, how do people KNOW what the Virgin Mary looked like? There were no cameras back then. The paintings we have are just someone's idea of what she may have looked like. So, when people see "her image", how do they REALLY know? For all they really know that it may be Brian's mother they are seeing (as in Life of Brian).

That is SOOOOOOO FUNNY!!!!

Cat

Written By: SemperYoda on 10/02/08 at 3:02 pm

Looks like death to me. 

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 10/02/08 at 3:06 pm

Wonder what would happen if they took a bong hit while looking at that. http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa87/kattofix/smilies/holycowsmile.gif

I like the one on the Chicago underpass better.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 10/02/08 at 9:48 pm

Here is one artist's interpretation (me) of what some people could see when looking at it.  I only did it because I like art and thought it might be fun to paint by numbers.
;)

Written By: iquestion on 10/02/08 at 10:28 pm

Like any rumor..let's infiltrate someone to preach that WHEN anyone ever sees a religious image they have 10 days to live(so and so's uncle's brother's cousin saw Jesus on his shower wall and died in a week.)

How many will want to say THEY are seeing images after hearing that?

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 10/02/08 at 11:03 pm

Here is one artist's interpretation (me) of what some people could see when looking at it.  I only did it because I like art and thought it might be fun to paint by numbers.
;)

That's pretty good. :)

Written By: La Roche on 10/03/08 at 12:34 am

They ought to take a look in my bathroom after a night of White Castles and Stag. You'll see Mary, Joseph, Three Wise Men, A Donkey and Greg Louganis if you get close enough.

Written By: gibbo on 10/03/08 at 1:05 am

They ought to take a look in my bathroom after a night of White Castles and Stag. You'll see Mary, Joseph, Three Wise Men, A Donkey and Greg Louganis if you get close enough.

Of these...I'd only worry if I found the donkey and Greg Louganis in your bathroom! :o

Written By: gibbo on 10/03/08 at 2:24 am

;)

Now if I saw that pic in the window then just maybe.....

Written By: Macphisto on 10/04/08 at 2:12 pm

lol...  I love that stainglass window..  Anyway, this inspires me to watch Religulous.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/06/08 at 12:53 am

It's not relgious so much as psychedelic, and I don't see it as anymore sensible than saying you see Zeus in the picture window! 

Recently I was driving out in the middle of nowhere Upstate NY and this guy gets on Art Bell and starts talking about the "Dark Creatures" that used to molest him in his childhood while he slept and now only appear as menacing figures watching him in the dark in his bedroom...and he also sees them going into his children's room.  Totally crazy, but it was kind of creepy to hear it way out in the middle of nowhere Duchess County in the middle of the night!  I mean, when people start behaving like that en mass, I  mean, I still get a little weirded out!  Witness the Virgin Mary!  Why is it so importantant she be a Virgin?"
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/glasses6.gif

Check for new replies or respond here...