» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Gloves Come Off

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/06/08 at 6:20 pm

Well, it seems like things are really heating up in the campaigns as we head into the home stretch. The one that really made me laugh was that McCain called Obama a liar.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081006/ap_on_el_pr/mccain_4

Of course the McCain camp is grasping at straws and trying to say anything they can-even making things up if they have to. And it appears that the Obama camp is not setting by the sidelines either.

This one is REALLY good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDofbll86dY

I would love to see McCain dismiss this one.

Better get out your rain gear, folks because I think the mud has only just begun to fly.

Thoughts? Comments?

Cat

Subject: Re: Gloves Come Off

Written By: Dagwood on 10/06/08 at 7:23 pm

I am so glad I don't live in a swing state.  I get sick of all the negative ads.  I just wish we could have an election where they discuss the issues, not past transgressions whether real or perceived.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/06/08 at 8:29 pm

Hate to tell you, Cat, but that ain't mud!

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/07/peepwall.gif

Poor John, he finally gets a shot at the big cheese, and there's nothing left to steal!
:(

Written By: iquestion on 10/06/08 at 8:34 pm

SO YOU LIKE OBAMA?

Consider:

Another Bang of a day on Wall St.  Pay attention to what happens.. Time to stock up and start putting away. The next year will look mighty grim. Banks and credit card companies are likely to start inching up rates and groceries and other prices are bound to skyrocket..  Received my mortgage statement raising my payment due to tax increases. It will get a lot worse if Barak gets in. The talking heads are saying he will increase taxes as his record proofs he does. There is a lot in campaign that he says he will do but given the state if economy there is no way he can fulfill those promises (especially for health care, education, etc..) because there is not going to BE money to do these things without increasing taxes, The bailout is not going to be a cure-all for economy and they added so many pork spending projects to it. Originally Bushes proposal was 3 pages.. After the Democrats got it- it ended up being 435 pages... The first vote which was rejected was 120 pages.. Heard last Barak speech which now says what he wants to do will happen 7-10 years from now.. (He can only serve 8 years so most likely he will accomplish nothing- if another President comes in after 4 years and changes the agenda). All I have to say is be prepared for worst-- deep Recession is on the line here... and most last for at least a decade to recover

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/06/08 at 8:37 pm

SO YOU LIKE OBAMA?

Consider:

Another Bang of a day on Wall St.  Pay attention to what happens.. Time to stock up and start putting away. The next year will look mighty grim. Banks and credit card companies are likely to start inching up rates and groceries and other prices are bound to skyrocket..  Received my mortgage statement raising my payment due to tax increases. It will get a lot worse if Barak gets in. The talking heads are saying he will increase taxes as his record proofs he does. There is a lot in campaign that he says he will do but given the state if economy there is no way he can fulfill those promises (especially for health care, education, etc..) because there is not going to BE money to do these things without increasing taxes, The bailout is not going to be a cure-all for economy and they added so many pork spending projects to it. Originally Bushes proposal was 3 pages.. After the Democrats got it- it ended up being 435 pages... The first vote which was rejected was 120 pages.. Heard last Barak speech which now says what he wants to do will happen 7-10 years from now.. (He can only serve 8 years so most likely he will accomplish nothing- if another President comes in after 4 years and changes the agenda). All I have to say is be prepared for worst-- deep Recession is on the line here... and most last for at least a decade to recover

Who told you it was just Dems getting on the gravy train and bloating a bad bill? 

McCain has NOTHING to run on...nothing.
::)

Written By: Jessica on 10/06/08 at 9:29 pm

Well, it seems like things are really heating up in the campaigns as we head into the home stretch. The one that really made me laugh was that McCain called Obama a liar.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081006/ap_on_el_pr/mccain_4

Of course the McCain camp is grasping at straws and trying to say anything they can-even making things up if they have to. And it appears that the Obama camp is not setting by the sidelines either.

This one is REALLY good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDofbll86dY

I would love to see McCain dismiss this one.

Better get out your rain gear, folks because I think the mud has only just begun to fly.

Thoughts? Comments?

Cat

http://punditkitchen.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/political-pictures-john-mccain-officer-black-man-stole-thunder.jpg

SO YOU LIKE OBAMA?

YES I DO.

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/06/08 at 9:51 pm

SO YOU LIKE OBAMA?

Consider:

The Democrat's bill is not the reason that the economy is in the tank.  It was the repeal of the Glass-Stegall act by the Republican's (even John McCain showed up to vote) in 1999. If the bill doesn't work, pinning it on the people who tried to fix the mistake instead of the people who created it in the first place is like putting a doctor in jail for treating a patient who died of a gunshot wound instead of jailing the shooter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subprime_crisis_impact_timeline

$700 billion, $800 billion, a trillion, it doesn't really matter.  The loans themselves could be paid off with that amount of money.  There isn't $800 billion worth of property with sub-prime loans in the entire country.  The ability to trade the profit of those loans as hedge funds are what we're paying for.  That money didn't disappear.  It's in the pocket of all the bankers and traders who created these hedge funds.  We're paying for the profit that would have been made if the loans had paid off after 30 years.

If you think McCain is the answer, you're really barking up the wrong tree.  He's given up even trying to talk about the economy.  The mistakes he's made in the past (voting time and again for further deregulation, the means by which we got here) combined with the mistakes he's making on the campaign trail (threatening to fire people he couldn't fire as president, saying the economy is strong) show he's VERY out of touch with the crisis.    Instead all of his attacks (and those of his running mate) are personal attacks.  Palin repeating the terrorist connection lies, McCain calling Obama a liar, etc.

I doubt anyone can fix the mess at this point, but I would have more faith in someone who knows more about what's going on than someone who has no clue.

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/06/08 at 10:01 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subprime_crisis_impact_timeline

Wikipedia has this page VERY incorrect:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glass-Steagall_Act

the bill passed on partisan lines.  The corrected version was not passed with a veto proof majority.  The corrections were passed by a veto proof margin, but the corrections for every bill are.

I'm guessing some very creative editing is underway on this one

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/07/08 at 10:11 am

SO YOU LIKE OBAMA?

So you ,like McBush?  'nough said.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/07/08 at 1:45 pm

Here is another thing to come out.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081007/ap_on_el_pr/mccain_iran_contra_5

I'm wondering what is going to be the October Surprise.

Cat

Written By: danootaandme on 10/07/08 at 4:46 pm

Another Bang of a day on Wall St.  Pay attention to what happens.. Time to stock up and start putting away. The next year will look mighty grim. Banks and credit card companies are likely to start inching up rates and groceries and other prices are bound to skyrocket..  Received my mortgage statement raising my payment due to tax increases.

Your mortgage payment went up because of taxes? How does that work? Your taxes are tacked on to your mortgage?  Someone as astute as you purport to be doesn't have a fixed rate mortgage? You haven't noticed that the price of groceries has been skyrocketing along with the price of oil/gas?  Next year is looking grim!  No sh&t, it is very grim right now. Bush wanted 3 pages to allow the dispersal of 700billion dollars without oversight and you think that is a good thing?  Then you want to shift the blame for this to Obama and the Dems? What are you thinking??

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/07/08 at 5:17 pm

Your mortgage payment went up because of taxes? How does that work? Your taxes are tacked on to your mortgage?  Someone as astute as you purport to be doesn't have a fixed rate mortgage? You haven't noticed that the price of groceries has been skyrocketing along with the price of oil/gas?  Next year is looking grim!  No sh&t, it is very grim right now. Bush wanted 3 pages to allow the dispersal of 700billion dollars without oversight and you think that is a good thing?  Then you want to shift the blame for this to Obama and the Dems? What are you thinking??

Thinking?

Man, I could say so many things here but I know they will just get me in trouble. (I'm sure you can read my mind.  ;) )

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/07/08 at 7:40 pm

Blame it on the Dems, blame it on the Dems, you'll feel so much better, blame it on the Dems!

On the other hand, I've got no no use for either party in this mess.  They've both been drinking the same Kool-Aid my entire adult life. 

Hey, we're the Democrats, we care about the little guy, the underprivileged, but we can't actually challenge the corporate/financial power structure, so let's give people loans they can never repay.  The ol' one-ball vasectomy strikes again!

Written By: greenjello74 on 10/08/08 at 6:23 am

Blame it on the Dems, blame it on the Dems, you'll feel so much better, blame it on the Dems!

On the other hand, I've got no no use for either party in this mess.  They've both been drinking the same Kool-Aid my entire adult life. 

Hey, we're the Democrats, we care about the little guy, the underprivileged, but we can't actually challenge the corporate/financial power structure, so let's give people loans they can never repay.  The ol' one-ball vasectomy strikes again!

No one party is to blame... They are mostly the same they just kiss different corporate butts. That is why I am a registered independent.
I just happen to like Obama and his new fresh ideas. And the fact that he took no pac money for his campaign. Now lets see if he can live up to his promises or if he caves like the rest of the politicians in this government.

What started this whole mess giving everyone a mortgage even if they couldn't afford it. Here heres your piece of the American Dream, now go to work at your meaningless job ,like a good drone. Oh and while your at it lets give you some easy credit terms for a car and that nice furniture you just saw on your 900 inch hdtv that you can't afford either.

I was raised by depression era parents, they grew up during the depression and knew what it was like to really go without. One thing they instilled in me was never try to live above your means, and pay cash whenever you can. If you want something save for it. And make sure you put something away for a rainy day.Well We have managed to put a little away into our 401k. But with the market the way it is... Who knows whats gonna be left.

So I don't have the fancy car or big showplace house, who cares as long as I am happy and can manage to keep the lights on.
There is nothing wrong with shopping in thrift stores either. My daughter buys all her kids clothes from kids consignment shops or off ebay.
Why not? She also sends his old outgrown things to people who don't have the means to uy new stuff for their kids.

OK I will step down off my soap box now. Thanks for your indulgence.
We need to stop thinking of everything as disposable and wise up, if its not too late already.

Written By: danootaandme on 10/08/08 at 6:32 am

No one party is to blame... They are mostly the same they just kiss different corporate butts. That is why I am a registered independent.
I just happen to like Obama and his new fresh ideas. And the fact that he took no pac money for his campaign. Now lets see if he can live up to his promises or if he caves like the rest of the politicians in this government.

What started this whole mess giving everyone a mortgage even if they couldn't afford it. Here heres your piece of the American Dream, now go to work at your meaningless job ,like a good drone. Oh and while your at it lets give you some easy credit terms for a car and that nice furniture you just saw on your 900 inch hdtv that you can't afford either.

I was raised by depression era parents, they grew up during the depression and knew what it was like to really go without. One thing they instilled in me was never try to live above your means, and pay cash whenever you can. If you want something save for it. And make sure you put something away for a rainy day.Well We have managed to put a little away into our 401k. But with the market the way it is... Who knows whats gonna be left.

So I don't have the fancy car or big showplace house, who cares as long as I am happy and can manage to keep the lights on.
There is nothing wrong with shopping in thrift stores either. My daughter buys all her kids clothes from kids consignment shops or off ebay.
Why not? She also sends his old outgrown things to people who don't have the means to uy new stuff for their kids.

We need to stop thinking of everything as disposable and wise up, if its not too late already.

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/15/wav.gif

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/08/08 at 8:05 pm

Karma +1.  Absolutely right.  Whereas your parents and their parents were taught the value of thrift, the Boomers and Gens X,Y,Z were taught the value of shopping.  I don't mean shopping for bargains, like my grandparents did, I mean shopping to make yourself happy, shopping to fill your emotional void, and shopping because if you don't own the chic consumer gadgets, you're a loser.  Don't have the cash?  No worries!  Put on the plastic and when that card maxes out, put it on the other card, and pay 'em both off with a third card!  This sick values system was not just for the consumer, it was for corporations and governments too!  Money isn't real, it's just numbers!  So we've been swapping debt to and fro for the past 20 years, but now it's like when Wile E. Coyote runs off the cliff into thin air, feels around with his toe, looks down, and drops screaming to the bottom of the canyon!  Sooner or later living in La-La-Land as a way of life catches up to you!

Written By: Red Ant on 10/08/08 at 8:19 pm

Excellent post, greenjello74. I'd give you two karma points now if I could.

The part I bolded is oh so true. In 1980, when my mother bought her house, she had to have 20% down, even though she was assuming the mortgage (they don't do those anymore), and the mortgage could only be a maximum of 25% of your income.

Up until last year, banks and mortgage companies were floating loans up to 125% a house's value, with no money down to people with shaky credit. I believe banks were allowing up to 45% of the household income to go to the mortgage. That's insane really and why we're in this mess. Even now they allow just 3% down...

We do have a 32" TV, which I got for free. It's the only reason I have it. It's 20 years old and weighs a ton, but the picture is good and I'm not getting wallet raped by Rent-a-Center at 195% interest. The best thing is that it's ours, free and clear.

Ant

Written By: greenjello74 on 10/08/08 at 8:22 pm

Thanks to all.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/09/08 at 12:21 am

I know a few people who fell into mortgages like that.  You don't get no equity as a renter but as a renter there's only so far you can get f**ked. 

My friends were like, we do you keep renting, we bought a house, dude!

And I'd be thinking, you bought a house alright...lemme guess, there was no lawyer at the signing!  The banks gonna do something to you guys, and you ain't gonna like it.  I wouldn't sell you two paupers a house.  Well, now they're f**ked!
:P

Written By: greenjello74 on 10/09/08 at 1:06 pm

I know a few people who fell into mortgages like that.  You don't get no equity as a renter but as a renter there's only so far you can get f**ked. 

My friends were like, we do you keep renting, we bought a house, dude!

And I'd be thinking, you bought a house alright...lemme guess, there was no lawyer at the signing!  The banks gonna do something to you guys, and you ain't gonna like it.  I wouldn't sell you two paupers a house.  Well, now they're f**ked!
:P

Pretty much, we were thinking about buying about 2 yrs ago, we were eligible for something called "The Titusville housing Initiative". Which would provide us with 30,00 dollars foe closing and down payment. The catch was there were only 3 banks we could 's apply to. You gotit  one was Washington  Mutual, The other was Wacaovia, and a local bank Riverside. It smelled fishy to us the loans came with balloon payments, there were only certain houses we could by and other strings attached.

We said no thanks. Now look who is losing their shirts and needing bailouts from The Government. No wonder.

Written By: danootaandme on 10/09/08 at 5:49 pm

When I bought my house the guy at the bank tried to muscle me into a variable rate.  He actually refused me a fixed saying my numbers wouldn't allow for it.  I said ok and made arrangements to sign the papers, then went to another bank and they offered me the fixed rate after I told them I had a financial advisor.  So I got the fixed rate with them, then the first guy called and asked me to come in to sign the papers and I told him I had gotten a fixed someplace else.  He doubled talked and told me that he would be able to get me the fixed, but I said no, and he hung up on me.    ;D

Written By: Dagwood on 10/09/08 at 7:04 pm

When I bought my house the guy at the bank tried to muscle me into a variable rate.  He actually refused me a fixed saying my numbers wouldn't allow for it.  I said ok and made arrangements to sign the papers, then went to another bank and they offered me the fixed rate after I told them I had a financial advisor.  So I got the fixed rate with them, then the first guy called and asked me to come in to sign the papers and I told him I had gotten a fixed someplace else.  He doubled talked and told me that he would be able to get me the fixed, but I said no, and he hung up on me.   ;

Heaven forbid you try to be financially responsible.  What a jerk

Written By: Macphisto on 10/09/08 at 9:58 pm

Ultimately, what we should do now is keep the government's regulatory role in business a purely "consumer protection" one.

We need to avoid pushing any social agendas with economic policy (that goes for both the Left AND the Right) and let the market clear itself.  It's just that a certain amount of regulation needs to be there to keep companies from going crazy with risk-taking.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/09/08 at 11:27 pm

Pretty much, we were thinking about buying about 2 yrs ago, we were eligible for something called "The Titusville housing Initiative". Which would provide us with 30,00 dollars foe closing and down payment. The catch was there were only 3 banks we could 's apply to. You gotit  one was Washington  Mutual, The other was Wacaovia, and a local bank Riverside. It smelled fishy to us the loans came with balloon payments, there were only certain houses we could by and other strings attached.

We said no thanks. Now look who is losing their shirts and needing bailouts from The Government. No wonder.

I always say if it sounds too good to be true, it is!
All the credit card companies pay the universities big bucks so they can set up their booths in the concourse and lure naive young prey!

In the old days you didn't play with debt unless you were some kind of bigshot.  However, the corporate media made every white male with a mcmansion and an SUV start to think he was was some kind of bigshot.  Well, he's not.  Rush knows he's not.  He may think he's in control of his life, but he ain't.  His lifestyle always exceedw his means.  When my father bought a house in 1970, a loan officer selling you 1.9% down payment would be taken away for psych eval!
:D

Written By: Tam on 10/09/08 at 11:34 pm

Here's my little rant - and I could be way out in left field, but it's the way I see it:

The Great Depression - we came out of it because of the World War. Suddenly all kinds of jobs in manufacturing sprung up because we needed things to fight the war! Our economy boomed because unemployment was down and consumer spending went up!

Currently, some sort of Depression - problem is that all the major corporations are building and/or contracting out. Who owns these Corps? Bush's Friends or freakin' Cheney himself! Don't see them putting the money back into the economy!! Hell nah! They are keeping it in their tight little fists, just like they keep the American people on marionette strings, wondering who can jerk us around the longest!!! >:(

- end rant

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/09/08 at 11:45 pm

Here's my little rant - and I could be way out in left field, but it's the way I see it:

The Great Depression - we came out of it because of the World War. Suddenly all kinds of jobs in manufacturing sprung up because we needed things to fight the war! Our economy boomed because unemployment was down and consumer spending went up!

Currently, some sort of Depression - problem is that all the major corporations are building and/or contracting out. Who owns these Corps? Bush's Friends or freakin' Cheney himself! Don't see them putting the money back into the economy!! Hell nah! They are keeping it in their tight little fists, just like they keep the American people on marionette strings, wondering who can jerk us around the longest!!! >:(

- end rant

In 1942 we were able to start churning out tanks, planes, and munitions, but chances are we don't have the manufacturing infrastructure any longer.

These guys are just frickin' pirates!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/07/pirate2.gif

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/10/08 at 9:14 am

who could forsee the current attacks by McCain?

"Nostrobamus"

http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=jH2iufUU1f4

Check for new replies or respond here...