» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Hate, Ignorance on display at McCain rallies

Written By: Brian06 on 10/10/08 at 1:22 pm

I can't say I'm surprised, now with this phony Ayers attack they're only firing this up more and who knows what this will lead to. Some clips from right near my area here, I can't believe there's people this stupid living this close to me. This country is still full of racism.  >:(

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1008/14445.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utXFkXwaG7A&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjxzmaXAg9E

Subject: Re: Hate, Ignorance on display at McCain rallies

Written By: danootaandme on 10/10/08 at 1:50 pm

It is getting very ugly and it wouldn't surprise me if this was a Rove idea, to plant people in the crowd to do this kind of stuff.  McCain doesn't address the situation, shame on him.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/10/08 at 10:11 pm

Some broad called Obama an "Arab," to which even McCain had to say, "No ma'am, he's not.  He's a decent person I happen to have disagreements with" (not exact quote). 

What seemed lost on McCain was the implication there was something inherently wrong with being an Arab.
:D

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/10/08 at 10:51 pm

Some broad called Obama an "Arab," to which even McCain had to say, "No ma'am, he's not.  He's a decent person I happen to have disagreements with" (not exact quote). 

What seemed lost on McCain was the implication there was something inherently wrong with being an Arab.

yeah... even when he's trying to tone down the racists that are backing him, he still comes off bad.  He also gets booed by the crowd.  He let the racists get too vocal for too long and too close to election day.  It's reflecting rather poorly on him outside of the core Fundie crowd.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/1008/McCain_calls_Obama_decent_person_is_booed.html

Written By: danootaandme on 10/11/08 at 6:29 am

My thoughts exactly!  He didn't say anything when someone shouted "Kill him".  I would like to slap the bejesus out of those idiots.  They are angry!?  I would bet all of them voted for bush... and they think they have the right to be angry with Obama!?  They are like 3 year olds with there faces full of crumbs, belly aches, pointing and crying that they didn't take the cookies from the jar the kid five streets over and two blocks down must have done it.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 10/11/08 at 1:47 pm

I heard McCain tried to defend Obama at a rally and got a few "BOOs".  Even someone like McCain knows when people are full of crap.

Written By: danootaandme on 10/11/08 at 4:51 pm

I heard McCain tried to defend Obama at a rally and got a few "BOOs".  Even someone like McCain knows when people are full of crap.

He was booed when he said that Obama was a decent man.  I'm expecting the McCain faction to start showing up in brown shirts.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/11/08 at 5:22 pm

He was booed when he said that Obama was a decent man.  I'm expecting the McCain faction to start showing up in brown shirts.

If he wins, I'm gonna be showing up in my brown trousers!
:o

A woman at the town hall asks softly: "I've heard that Sen. Obama is an
Arab."

McCain quickly cuts the woman off.

"No, ma'am. He's a decent family man and citizen," McCain says. "He's
not. Thank you."

That implies an Arab is NOT a decent family man and citizen. 

You could say, "Maxwell, you know gol darn well that's not what he meant!"
Right.  I just haven't heard anybody in the mainstream media even mention such a statement could be miscon-screwed!
What if that lady had said, "I've heard Senator Obama is a Jew"?
Oh, then you woulda heard something about it!
::)

Written By: greenjello74 on 10/11/08 at 7:07 pm

Arab."

not. Thank you."

Right.  I just haven't heard anybody in the mainstream media even mention such a statement could be miscon-screwed!

Its getting interesting now, I love seeing McCain flail about trying to cover his wrinkly old white butt, and we won't even go into his running mate and her ethics... me thinks something is sh*tty in Denmark.
The news was full of McCain tries to turn down the heat. I hope his overzealous supporters really torpedo his bid for the presidency. Cause a landslide would be so cool...... :) :) :)

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/12/08 at 3:27 am

What seemed lost on McCain was the implication there was something inherently wrong with being an Arab. :D

...or even a Muslim, but I saw the same video clip, and I wouldn't read that into it, I just think McCain was stunned.  I mean, the stupid, it burns.  You could almost see him facepalming himself in shock at the stupidity before he regained his composure and got the mic away from her.  WTF, don't political parties vet the people they let into their rallies anymore, or are they down so far in the polls in that state that they skipped the vetting process in order to fill the camera-facing seats?

The problem with targeting your campaign at low-information voters is that you run risks like having stuff like this happening.  I hope that whatever organization succeeds the Republican Party takes this lesson to heart.  Some Republican started the meme that "the guy with the two unfortunate-sounding names is a Muslim", and it was depressingly hilarious to see it come back to bite them on the posterior.

Written By: danootaandme on 10/12/08 at 7:09 am

...or even a Muslim, but I saw the same video clip, and I wouldn't read that into it, I just think McCain was stunned.  I mean, the stupid, it burns.  You could almost see him facepalming himself in shock at the stupidity before he regained his composure and got the mic away from her.  WTF, don't political parties vet the people they let into their rallies anymore, or are they down so far in the polls in that state that they skipped the vetting process in order to fill the camera-facing seats?

Cynical me says yes they do vet the people and they are quite happy to have what is going on continue.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/12/08 at 1:23 pm

The problem with targeting your campaign at low-information voters is that you run risks like having stuff like this happening.  I hope that whatever organization succeeds the Republican Party takes this lesson to heart.  Some Republican started the meme that "the guy with the two unfortunate-sounding names is a Muslim", and it was depressingly hilarious to see it come back to bite them on the posterior.

They do vet.  It's an element sought and it's element got.  Be careful what you ask for.  The GOP has been playing on the big fear of the Other (Not One of Us) since 9/11.  Nothing new.  It's always been around; however, when you aggravate the fear as a political tactic, that nasty lady is the end result: The stupid, it burns

Anyway, McCain didn't look shocked so much as fed up.  His campaign is going down in flames and he's in the company of those nit-wits!

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/12/08 at 7:12 pm

Anyway, McCain didn't look shocked so much as fed up.  His campaign is going down in flames and he's in the company of those nit-wits!

and he has no one to blame but himself for letting them take the lead.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/12/08 at 11:57 pm

and he has no one to blame but himself for letting them take the lead.

If Obama wins, they'll blame it on that ACORN voter fraud thing!

Written By: philbo on 10/13/08 at 6:19 am

Arab."

not. Thank you."

I'd say McCain was in a bit of a no-win situation, there: I honestly don't think he's trying to suggest that being an Arab is not decent or irreconcilable with being a family man, but the woman concerned obviously was.  McCain's a decent enough old duffer not to be irrationally nasty about his opponent, and I doubt he's quick enough mentally to have worked out that what he was saying could be construed as being prejudiced against Arabs before he said it.

Having said that, it doesn't say a lot about his ability to keep foot out of mouth...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/13/08 at 9:33 am

I'd say McCain was in a bit of a no-win situation, there: I honestly don't think he's trying to suggest that being an Arab is not decent or irreconcilable with being a family man, but the woman concerned obviously was.  McCain's a decent enough old duffer not to be irrationally nasty about his opponent, and I doubt he's quick enough mentally to have worked out that what he was saying could be construed as being prejudiced against Arabs before he said it.

Having said that, it doesn't say a lot about his ability to keep foot out of mouth...

What gets me is that "Arab" is understood as a term of derision.  That's a deep vein of bigotry.  On the other hand, I thought the same thing, McCain couldn't exactly lecture an ethnography of Arabs to that crowd.  They'd just boo him again!

"Now, look, if I didn't think I'd be one heck of a lot better president than Obama..."

Check for new replies or respond here...