» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: What has more work to do - gender or race?

Written By: Sweet Illest Baby on 10/16/08 at 10:36 pm

I think as far as moral acceptance goes, women's rights still needs more work. If you're openly racist in American society today, people will automatically condemn you. If you're sexist, many people will still agree with you (including women).

I think minorities still suffer more though, especially blacks. Historically women were denied rights, and made into slaves of sorts to their husbands, but they were also cherished in a way blacks never were, and for that reason blacks economically suffer far more today. Not that women aren't disadvantaged, but it's less bad than black people.

I think women are going through the same stage blacks are - as their liberation is recent, there's still a lot of anger about how they as a group were victimized, which I think in part explains why women today can be so nasty and mean. I don't think it's a permanent trend, it's also a part of American culture to be nasty in general, and men are still probably worse.

Subject: Re: What has more work to do - gender or race?

Written By: danootaandme on 10/17/08 at 6:14 am

This is a very difficult question to answer because there are so many levels of discrimination, and so many subtleties involved.  It isn't as if blacks and women had a date upon which "liberation" happened, then everything was fine.  Liberties have been, and continue to be, won and lost.  There is also the denial of rights to other groups, poor, undereducated, mentally challenged, it cuts across all lines.  The statement you made that women can be nasty and mean is prejudice.  Sure we can, but no more so than anyone else, I wonder why you feel the need to single us out.

Written By: Macphisto on 10/17/08 at 5:59 pm

Good question...  I'd say race when it comes to America.

However, if Obama gets elected, I guess that might change things a bit.

As for the rest of the world...  it depends on what countries you're talking about.  In Europe, race is definitely the bigger issue.  In most of the Islamic World, Africa, and East Asia, gender is.

Written By: Sweet Illest Baby on 10/17/08 at 8:12 pm

This is a very difficult question to answer because there are so many levels of discrimination, and so many subtleties involved.  It isn't as if blacks and women had a date upon which "liberation" happened, then everything was fine.  Liberties have been, and continue to be, won and lost.  There is also the denial of rights to other groups, poor, undereducated, mentally challenged, it cuts across all lines.  The statement you made that women can be nasty and mean is prejudice.  Sure we can, but no more so than anyone else, I wonder why you feel the need to single us out.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean all women, I meant many women, especially of my generation I see today are really nasty and have no class. There's still many who aren't.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/17/08 at 8:26 pm

Race.  No question about it. 

Workers must unite to smash racist bosses' fascism

or

Workers must unit to smash fascist bosses' racism

These are general boilerplate headlines for the Progressivle Labor Party's rag, "Challenge."  I still agree after all these years!

Check for new replies or respond here...