» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Is anything too serious to joke about?

Written By: Sweet Illest Baby on 10/17/08 at 8:54 pm

My opinion is no, because the point of a joke is often to lighten a dark situation. Of course, you don't wanna crack jokes about your uncle at his funeral (unless it's clearly in good taste), but there's no subject or event that you shouldn't be able to joke about.

Subject: Re: Is anything too serious to joke about?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/17/08 at 10:04 pm

If there is, show it to me!
;D

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/18/08 at 10:36 am

The answer is NO.

Written By: danootaandme on 10/18/08 at 11:09 am

Joan Rivers said it...sick babies

Written By: EthanM on 10/18/08 at 5:15 pm

But she was kidding. Whooping cough can definitely be joked about.

Written By: greenjello74 on 10/18/08 at 6:01 pm

Nah its all fair game

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/18/08 at 10:37 pm

Joan Rivers said it...sick babies

Heard plent of dead baby jokes, but never any sick baby jokes.  Hmmmm.....

Written By: Green Lantern on 10/18/08 at 11:22 pm

Heard plent of dead baby jokes, but never any sick baby jokes.  Hmmmm.....

Hmm ....

What's funnier than a dead baby? - A dead baby in a clown costume!

Q: What's the difference between a baby and a bagel?
A: You can put a bagel in the toaster. You have to put the baby in the oven.

Q: Why does the husband always bring boiling water at a birth?
A: In case the baby dies, he can make soup.

Q: What is bright blue, pink, and sizzles.
A: A baby trying to breast feed from an electrical outlet.

Q. How do you stop a baby falling down a manhole?
A. Stick a javelin through it's head.

Q: How do you get 1000 dead babies in a phone booth?

A: Use a blender

Written By: Green Lantern on 10/19/08 at 12:15 am

As a woman gave birth to her newborn, the doctor quickly took it away. Later in her room the doctor came in to see her and she asked him, "where's my baby?". He says, "well I have bad news and real bad news." She tells him to tell her the bad news first.

He says I am sorry to tell you that your baby is nothing but a giant eye! She exclaims, "what could be worse than that?"

"Well madam, it's blind."

:D

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/19/08 at 2:13 am

If there is, show it to me! ;D

http://images.starcraftmazter.net/4chan/for_forums/i_like_where_thread_going.jpg

(Hey, I toned it down, I could have spent a little longer and found the "I - like - where - this - thread - is - go - ing" frame-by-frame grab of the instant of impact.  Or the birthday cake with the twinkies.  Or the birthday card, which was even more over the top.  Y'all know the ones I'm thinking of.)

Yeah, I'm also firmly in the "No, nothing is too serious to joke about." camp. 

Watch The Aristocrats, and pay special attention to Gilbert Gottfried's version of the joke at the Friar's Club, and receive enlightenment.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/19/08 at 3:19 pm

http://images.starcraftmazter.net/4chan/for_forums/i_like_where_thread_going.jpg

(Hey, I toned it down, I could have spent a little longer and found the "I - like - where - this - thread - is - go - ing" frame-by-frame grab of the instant of impact.  Or the birthday cake with the twinkies.  Or the birthday card, which was even more over the top.  Y'all know the ones I'm thinking of.)

How 'bout the one of all the pepple fleeing the towers in hi-speed with Yakedy Sax for a soundtrack!
:P

Written By: philbo on 10/20/08 at 3:48 am

Q: Why does the husband always bring boiling water at a birth?
A: In case the baby dies, he can make soup.

Oh yeah?

..don't you mean "in case the baby dies, his wife can make soup"?

No, I don't think anything is too serious to joke about, but it is often necessary to ensure that the humour works.  Bad things happening to people are not funny, per se; though there is nearly always a funny side to be seen (I remember hearing a Jewish survivor of the holocaust, having been through one concentration camp, move seamlessly from a description of truly horrendous conditions to talking about the SS guards' attention to style and dress sense, and how important it was to look cool and macho while marching people to the gas chambers - there was a complete blank from the studio audience for quite an uncomfortable time, then a few very nervous laughs.  He went on to say that the best way to deal with the memory of these people was not to look at them as devils incarnate, but as objects of ridicule, and then did an almost Mel Brooks sort of routine.. can't remember any of the jokes, but he got a huge cheer at the end).

Written By: Green Lantern on 10/20/08 at 5:26 am

Oh yeah?

..don't you mean "in case the baby dies, his wife can make soup"?

No, I don't think anything is too serious to joke about, but it is often necessary to ensure that the humour works. 

I was in the UK ....  it was early 1989 .  Just a few weeks earlier ... the Lockerbie disaster had occurred ... the Pan Am flight that blew up over Scotland, killing around 270 people.  Was at a Billy Connolly show ... who my brother is/was a big fan of.  I know at the time ... I thought it tasteless of him ... to try to extract some laughs from his audience, about something that was so fresh in the news. The thought also occurred to me ... that if any of the relatives of the dead ... were actually in his audience .. they might want to thump him on the nose ?

I'm not saying you can't make jokes about this ... or the World Trade Center ... but I think there are real risks in such situations ?  I wonder how soon after ..  it was .... before stand up comedians were making sick jokes about the WTC in New York city ?

As for me, I personally don't think I can make jokes about WTC .. since I was too appalled  / shocked / saddened by it. Although I do appreciate many sick jokes such as 'NASA' .... after 'Challenger' (1986)  ... meaning 'Need another seven astronauts' ..... and  Christa McCaullife's last words to her children .... 'You feed the cat, I'll feed the fish' . Hope none of their friends or family come after me !  :-X

Written By: philbo on 10/20/08 at 6:09 am

A quick postscript: when I die, I want a decent stand-up comic (someone like Frankie Boyle springs to mind) to do some kind of routine at my funeral.  If people have to cry, I'd far rather they were tears of laughter than of sadness.

...and something like the Monty Python theme playing as the doors to the crematorium open

Written By: greenjello74 on 10/20/08 at 6:35 am

I was in the UK ....  it was early 1989 .  Just a few weeks earlier ... the Lockerbie disaster had occurred ... the Pan Am flight that blew up over Scotland, killing around 270 people.  Was at a Billy Connolly show ... who my brother is/was a big fan of.  I know at the time ... I thought it tasteless of him ... to try to extract some laughs from his audience, about something that was so fresh in the news. The thought also occurred to me ... that if any of the relatives of the dead ... were actually in his audience .. they might want to thump him on the nose ?

I'm not saying you can't make jokes about this ... or the World Trade Center ... but I think there are real risks in such situations ?  I wonder how soon after ..  it was .... before stand up comedians were making sick jokes about the WTC in New York city ?

As for me, I personally don't think I can make jokes about WTC .. since I was too appalled  / shocked / saddened by it. Although I do appreciate many sick jokes such as 'NASA' .... after 'Challenger' (1986)  ... meaning 'Need another seven astronauts' ..... and  Christa  McCaullife's last words to her children .... 'You feed the cat, I'll feed the fish' . Hope none of their friends or family come after me !  :-X

I agree I think a certain amount of time should pass before someone makes jokes about tragdies. But I don't ever think I will find any joke that will ever be funny to me about the WTC. I guess it was just too traumatic an event.
I loved the baby jokes though they were great.

Max your baby jokes were funny too...
All You guys are twisted in oh so many fundamental ways!!!!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Written By: Green Lantern on 10/20/08 at 6:45 am

We're in agreement .. about the 'time factor' (certain amount should pass)  ^ . Yeah ... I could perhaps laugh at someone ELSE'S joke about WTC (has yet to happen .. can't say I've heard ANY)  ... but just don't wanna make one in that regard.

Written By: Green Lantern on 10/20/08 at 6:47 am

Having said that ... I didn't wait very long about making a sick joke re Charlton Heston (after he died) . However ... since I dont' agree with the NRA ... / its supporters ... well, I figured he's fair game !    :P   ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/20/08 at 7:42 am

Different people have lots of topics off limits to jokes.  My "philosophy" on sensitivity is you should be able take as much as you dish out.  If you don't like jokes about your big nose, don't make jokes about the other guy's double chin!  Otherwise, you're not sensitive, just touchy.  There's a difference.

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/07/nono.gif

Written By: Green Lantern on 10/20/08 at 7:45 am

Different people have lots of topics off limits to jokes.  My "philosophy" on sensitivity is you should be able take as much as you dish out.  If you don't like jokes about your big nose, don't make jokes about the other guy's double chin!  Otherwise, you're not sensitive, just touchy.  There's a difference.

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/07/nono.gif

Hey ... leave my nose out of this .... and as for my double chin !   >:(

;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/20/08 at 7:50 am

Hey ... leave my nose out of this .... and as for my double chin !    >:(

Heh heh!  I don't go 'round calling folks "shorty."

Written By: Green Lantern on 10/20/08 at 7:52 am

Heh heh!  I don't go 'round calling folks "shorty."

At 5 foot 7 ... I ain't exactly tall  :-[  .... but I ain't quite ready for dwarf throwing either ... so there !   :P  ;D

Written By: philbo on 10/20/08 at 10:21 am

Different people have lots of topics off limits to jokes.  My "philosophy" on sensitivity is you should be able take as much as you dish out.  If you don't like jokes about your big nose, don't make jokes about the other guy's double chin! 

Yeah.. if you don't like cartoons showing your prophet as a suicide bomber, don't draw your own cartoons showing people of another religion as baby-eating monsters...

The world is full of people who can dish it out, but just can't handle it...

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 10/20/08 at 10:40 am

Nope nothing really.  if you take into consideration everyones feelings and moral everything would be offensive.  If you don't like it don't pay attention.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/20/08 at 1:53 pm

Yeah.. if you don't like cartoons showing your prophet as a suicide bomber, don't draw your own cartoons showing people of another religion as baby-eating monsters...

The world is full of people who can dish it out, but just can't handle it...

That's why it's not so much fun to draw scathing cartoons of the Buddha.  The Buddhist just says, "You go your way, I'll go mine, and we'll see you in the next lfe." 
8)

Written By: philbo on 10/21/08 at 4:05 am

That's why it's not so much fun to draw scathing cartoons of the Buddha.  The Buddhist just says, "You go your way, I'll go mine, and we'll see you in the next lfe." 
8)

Or "You go your way, I'll go mine, and I'll squish you in the next life" ;)

Written By: greenjello74 on 10/21/08 at 4:16 am

At 5 foot 7 ... I ain't exactly tall  :-[  .... but I ain't quite ready for dwarf throwing either ... so there !    :P  ;D

Ahh there there Alan I'm sure by now lots of women dig guys who are not really tall. I always liked shorter guys. I can't really say why, but they always seemed to be less cocky, genteeler, and more sensitive  than taller guys, plus  to go out of thier way fora girl.
Now on the other side of the coin I have met some short guys that have a definite Napoleon complex and think because they aren't six feet tall that they have to be twice as cocky as the rest of the guys. And are usually jerks that to put it as my Dad used to say"couldn't get laid in a cat house with a 20.00 bill sticking out of his pocket."

Written By: Green Lantern on 10/21/08 at 5:32 am

Ahh there there Alan I'm sure by now lots of women dig guys who are not really tall. I always liked shorter guys. I can't really say why, but they always seemed to be less cocky, genteeler, and more sensitive  than taller guys, plus  to go out of thier way fora girl.
Now on the other side of the coin I have met some short guys that have a definite Napoleon complex and think because they aren't six feet tall that they have to be twice as cocky as the rest of the guys. And are usually jerks that to put it as my Dad used to say"couldn't get laid in a cat house with a 20.00 bill sticking out of his pocket."

Thanks Deb ... and if I do say so myself .... I definitely reckon I'd fall into the former description of sawn off shot-guns !

Written By: Green Lantern on 10/21/08 at 5:36 am

Actually .... now that I remember .... a few years back ... ( 5 -10 ?   :-\\  ... so many brain cells since burnt out .. don't remember when   :-[  ) .... some big bastard towering over me ... called me a little sh*t .   ???  >:(    ???

I responded  ... "I reckon it's better to be a little sh*t ... than a BIG sh*t" .... eyeballing him as best as I could, from down there. He did not follow up on it !   8)    ;D

Written By: Green Lantern on 10/22/08 at 12:09 pm

Well ....... I know I DID say I could never make a joke about WTC ......... but .......... well .. the pic (below)  does it for me ?

Since it cracked me up ..... I HAVE to post it (again !  )

From 'Thought for the day' thread:

When you're arguing with a fool, make sure he isn't doing the same thing.

http://www.americanchronicle.com/articlePics/article32891.jpg

http://www.museumofconceptualart.com/Jesusisms_vs_Bushisms/images/Fool%20Me.jpg

http://aftermathnews.files.wordpress.com/2007/09/bush_stupid2.jpg

Just a couple of more months (or so)   of this IDIOT !    8)

;D

Written By: nally on 10/22/08 at 2:24 pm

These pics cracked me up too ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/22/08 at 2:55 pm

http://aftermathnews.files.wordpress.com/2007/09/bush_stupid2.jpg

Just a couple of more months (or so)  of this IDIOT !    8)

;D

That is a sick joke-not what you posted but that ugly mug in those pics.

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/22/08 at 10:27 pm

Well, there are certain short guys who wreck for the rest of us 'cos they never got over getting a wedgie in the 8th grade or something.  I once joined an online "support group" but those guys were all the ones who give creedance to the term "short man's syndrome."  All they wanted to talk about was kicking ass in bar fights and how much they hated fat chicks.  When I suggested it was poor form to pick bar fights regardless of whether you kicked the 6'5" guy's ass, and that overweight women faced much of the same discrimination...

Well...I was worse than a tall guy, I was a traitor to the rest of the short guys.  I was like, thanks, you do about as much good for me as Joe Pesci!  (and I like Joe, I didn't like these azzholes!)

Written By: greenjello74 on 10/23/08 at 8:25 pm

Well, there are certain short guys who wreck for the rest of us 'cos they never got over getting a wedgie in the 8th grade or something.  I once joined an online "support group" but those guys were all the ones who give creedance to the term "short man's syndrome."  All they wanted to talk about was kicking ass in bar fights and how much they hated fat chicks.  When I suggested it was poor form to pick bar fights regardless of whether you kicked the 6'5" guy's ass, and that overweight women faced much of the same discrimination...

Well...I was worse than a tall guy, I was a traitor to the rest of the short guys.  I was like, thanks, you do about as much good for me as Joe Pesci!  (and I like Joe, I didn't like these azzholes!)

Hey I was a;ways told the bigger the cushion the better the pushin.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/23/08 at 9:56 pm

Hey I was a;ways told the bigger the cushion the better the pushin.

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand, or so I have read!

Check for new replies or respond here...