» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: US debt topped $10 Trillion this week

Written By: Dude111 on 10/25/08 at 10:27 pm

Find the latest #'s here> http://www.treasurydirect.gov/NP/BPDLogin?application=np

Truly unreal!!

Subject: Re: US debt topped $10 Trillion this week

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/26/08 at 11:53 am

And just think, only 6 years ago the gov't was running a surplus and thinking of paying DOWN the national debt.

Written By: MrCleveland on 10/26/08 at 12:11 pm

What goes up...must come down.

I will agree that Bush spent more than any other president combined.

Written By: Dude111 on 10/26/08 at 7:41 pm

He has been a disaster for our country :(

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/26/08 at 11:59 pm

The greatest heist in human history!
>:(

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/27/08 at 12:17 am

I wanted to pick a Babylon 5 analogy for this (I've been using B5 as my internal mental model since 2002), but got lost among the choices.  Hard to believe how a TV science fiction series got everything right (from an initial catastrophic attack to the evolution of political officers, to turning Intersections in Real Time into a documentary, to our present economic endgame.)

But seeing as how this is endgame, here are three scenarios:

"Oh, I'm afraid you have to spend the rest of your life paying for your mistakes. Not this one of course, it's trivial, I have withdrawn the spell, but there will be others."
"What are you talking about?"
"You are touched by darkness, Ambassador. I see it as a blemish that will grow with time. I could warn you of course, but you would not listen. I could kill you, but someone would take your place. So I do the only thing I can, I go. Oh, I believe it was a endorsement you wanted, a word or two, a picture, to send to the folks back home confirming that you have a destiny to perform.
It was just a thought, nothing more"
"Well take this for what little it will profit you. As I look at you ambassador Mollari, I see a great hand reaching out of the stars. The hand is your hand. And I hear sounds. The sounds of billions of people calling your name."
"My followers?"
"Your victims."
  - Technomage Elric and Ambassador Londo Mollari, The Geometry of Shadows.

Let it burn Mollari. Let it all end in fire!
  - Emperor Cartagia to Londo Mollari Falling Towards Apotheosis.

"...the ascension of the ordinary man the ascension of the ordinary man the ascension of the ordinary man the ascension of the ordinary man the ascension of the ordinary man ..."
  - hastily-scribbled note from President Clark in Endgame.

If we're very lucky, we might get away with having the first dialogue as the punchline to the joke of the eight years.  Given how badly it turned out, I wouldn't blame the guy if he just shrugged their shoulders and pressed the big red button.

Written By: MrCleveland on 10/27/08 at 12:11 pm

Bush should sing 'Weird Al' Yankovic's "Why does this always happen to me"?

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/28/08 at 12:28 am

Bush should sing 'Weird Al' Yankovic's "Why does this always happen to me"?

Naw, he'll do OK no matter how bad it gets.  That's my song.  I'm down from ten years' accumulated pretax salary in the bank to five years' accumulated salary in the bank -- and here I am, thinking it's the end of the world...

Even though it probably is the end of the world, at least I can go down knowing that I made it into the top decile for a good quarter of my life, and if we all end up eating microwaved roach feces (hey, it's better than cannibalism!) for the rest of our lives, I'll at least have the good years to look back on with fond remembrance.

Written By: Green Lantern on 10/28/08 at 12:47 am

and if we all end up eating microwaved roach feces (hey, it's better than cannibalism!)

How would YOU know ? Unless you've tried BOTH !  ???      :-\\      8-P

Keep your distance from this 'Foo Bar' guy ... unless YOU want to end up on his dinner plate. Hopefully, he'll be pre-occupied with the roaches !  8)

:P

:D

;D

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/28/08 at 1:11 am

How would YOU know ? Unless you've tried BOTH !  ???      :-\\      8-P

Hey, try the veal.  If you got a problem with veal, try the Long Pig.  Eat, um, I mean, tip your waitress!

Chianti, anyone?  Fava beans?  (Actually, those would probably work pretty good.  Firemen or EMTs who'd like to vent are free to confirm/deny that we're reputed to smell like pork when suitably cooked...)

I'd personally recommend against long pig in anything but the most dire of survival situations; the nearly-universal taboo against it is well-deserved due to the fact that human-based pathogens won't need to jump a species barrier.  Ditto for prion-based disease; much of what we know about mad cow / mad sheep / chronic wasting disease, we learned from the mistakes of the New Zealanders and their experiences with Kuru.  Most cultures that lacked a taboo against cannibalism tended to die out before they could leave any written record of their existence. 

Squirrel, possum, raccoon, on the other hand... cook 'em well, and they be good eatin'!

Written By: Green Lantern on 10/28/08 at 1:18 am

Squirrel, possum, raccoon, on the other hand... cook 'em well, and they be good eatin'!

I'm  sure Al-B ... will be more than happy to help you polish off those 'pesky' raccoons !  :D

Check for new replies or respond here...