» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Vote Flipping Caught on Tape

Written By: Dude111 on 10/29/08 at 10:42 pm

This is why electronic voting machines are a VERY BAD idea.

There are also reports of machines flipping votes for McCain to Obama,etc...

Subject: Re: Vote Flipping Caught on Tape

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/29/08 at 11:56 pm

Yes, yes, I've been saying so myself for eight years!

If McCain wins next Tuesday, you'll know why.

Written By: limblifter on 10/29/08 at 11:58 pm

I see absolutely nothing wrong here. These machines were developed by Americans. Why do you hate America?

Written By: philbo on 10/30/08 at 7:58 am

Back to this again?

I don't think that electronic voting machines are of themselves a bad idea, but to let the companies who write the software for these things keep their code confidential, and not allow inspection of the code makes it open to abuse.

Thing is, as a programmer, writing something which only has to record and count votes is completely and utterly trivial; appropriate security makes it only marginally harder.  There is no excuse whatsoever for any bugs, "miscalibration", etc. after all these years of trying to run this sort of software.  If the companies concerned (in this case ES&S, isn't it?) are unable to write working software, then give the contracts to someone else who can.  WTF is so difficult about that concept?

Behaviour such as demonstrated on the above bit of voting kit either means ES&S are incompetent or corrupt.  Not much of a choice, really, is it?

Written By: greenjello74 on 10/30/08 at 8:38 am

Yes, yes, I've been saying so myself for eight years!

If McCain wins next Tuesday, you'll know why.

I will throw up if McBush and Caribou Barbie win.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/30/08 at 9:50 am

Back to this again?

I don't think that electronic voting machines are of themselves a bad idea, but to let the companies who write the software for these things keep their code confidential, and not allow inspection of the code makes it open to abuse.

Thing is, as a programmer, writing something which only has to record and count votes is completely and utterly trivial; appropriate security makes it only marginally harder.  There is no excuse whatsoever for any bugs, "miscalibration", etc. after all these years of trying to run this sort of software.  If the companies concerned (in this case ES&S, isn't it?) are unable to write working software, then give the contracts to someone else who can.  WTF is so difficult about that concept?

Behaviour such as demonstrated on the above bit of voting kit either means ES&S are incompetent or corrupt.  Not much of a choice, really, is it?

I agree.  One of the companies that writes "defective" software for electronic voting machines is Diebold.  They also write software for ATMs.  If the ATM software was constantly switching the numbers in customer accounts, the banks would get rid of it.  Nobody would tolerate that.  Yet somehow vote-counting software is pitched as new and high-tech, which, as you point out, it is not.  America keeps tolerating this rubbish, so it keeps happening.  Yeah, we grumble a bit, but the cheaters still get their way.  The longer cheating is tolerated, the harder it is to eradicate.

I will throw up if McBush and Caribou Barbie win.

Can you imagine even listening to her for eight years?  She's got a voice like a bandsaw!  If they win, that wall will finally get built down on the boarder--by the Mexicans trying to keep ME out!
:o

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/30/08 at 10:45 am

I sure hope the Dems are following this and are ready to act.  And voters shoul be armed with the CNN hotline phone number.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/30/08 at 3:22 pm

I sure hope the Dems are following this and are ready to act. 

If past is prologue, they'll act like pushovers.
::)

Written By: danootaandme on 10/30/08 at 3:29 pm

Jeez, my head is ready to explode.  So if a person goes to vote they have to let the tech no that there vote is wrong. then the tech maybe asks, well what happened and the person tells them how they voted and what happened...so much for the secret vote. I'm just nuts over  this godgodgod.... http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/11/BangHead.gif

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/30/08 at 9:10 pm

Jeez, my head is ready to explode.  So if a person goes to vote they have to let the tech no that there vote is wrong. then the tech maybe asks, well what happened and the person tells them how they voted and what happened...so much for the secret vote. I'm just nuts over  this godgodgod.... http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/11/BangHead.gif

Don't worry, they're not gonna mess with Mass.  They've written us off as a bunch of commie-homos from the git-go!

Written By: danootaandme on 10/31/08 at 5:52 am

Don't worry, they're not gonna mess with Mass.  They've written us off as a bunch of commie-homos from the git-go!

When they mess with one they mess with all, but I do love the way hate when we get it right, and even when we are wrong we are still more right....or left 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/31/08 at 11:35 am

My brother-in-law had an issue about the secret vote. His brother is illiterate. With the old machines, he basically knew which level to pull but with the new ones, he would have to read. My other brother-in-law, Carlos & myself were trying to come up with solutions to this problem. We told him to tell his brother to tell the pollsters that he needs help and wants his brother's help. But, I came up with the perfect solution-absentee voting. I could see the wheels turning in my brother-in-law's head. I know he was thinking that it was the ideal solution.

Yeah, I did go off on a tangent a bit-my point is, with all these machines, absentee voting seems to be one answer-but, that leads to another one-how do you know that they will count your vote and not put it in File 13 (otherwise known as the "round file").

Cat

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/01/08 at 4:09 pm

Oprah saw her vote get switched... prepare for some whoop-ass now... you don't mess with Oprah

Written By: Dude111 on 11/02/08 at 11:19 pm

Why do you hate America?

I love america buddy and i dont like what has been going on since the 2000 election was stolen!!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/03/08 at 2:05 am

Oprah saw her vote get switched... prepare for some whoop-ass now... you don't mess with Oprah

You betcha!  They brought a knife to a gunfight this time!

Written By: Dude111 on 11/07/08 at 4:07 am

Some people think Obama lied to get in;basically bought the election...

Written By: danootaandme on 11/07/08 at 5:53 am

A politician lying to get elected?! Why I am shocked, absolutely shocked.  Now we will have to deal with a liar in the Whitheouse?!! During the past eight years we have grown complacent not having to deal with lies and untruths from our leaders. How was this allowed to happen and what can we do about it?  Oh, whatever is to become of us?    ::)

( what are you? twelve?)

Written By: philbo on 11/07/08 at 11:05 am

Those are two different accusations: did he lie?  Almost definitely - anyone who told the truth 100% of the time would stand a 0% chance of getting the job... did he buy the election?  He outspent McCain by a considerable margin.. but I bet the people who are complaining about this weren't so vocal four&eight years ago when Bush managed to spend his way into the White House (OK, with some help from the voting machines).

If you don't like the Obama campaign's ability to raise more money, then work towards a change in funding rules - don't simply whine because your guy lost (note, I don't mean "you" specifically, more a general "people" sort of "you").  I wonder - when was the last time the campaign which spent most didn't win?

Check for new replies or respond here...