» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: In case you were delusional and thought it wasn't real - Obama's a US citizen

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/01/08 at 4:11 pm

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/20081031/BREAKING01/81031064/0/BREAKING04

I keep seeing links on other sites to rants that Obama wasn't born in this country, or that his birth certificate was fake. 

The Hawaii board of records had to issue a statement confirming that yes, they do indeed hold a real valid certificate.

I doubt it will shut up the "truthers" however.

Subject: Re: In case you were delusional and thought it wasn't real - Obama's a US citizen

Written By: Jessica on 11/01/08 at 4:29 pm

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/20081031/BREAKING01/81031064/0/BREAKING04

I keep seeing links on other sites to rants that Obama wasn't born in this country, or that his birth certificate was fake. 

The Hawaii board of records had to issue a statement confirming that yes, they do indeed hold a real valid certificate.

I doubt it will shut up the "truthers" however.

Funnily enough, no one is doubting McCain's citizenship, even though he was born in the Panama Canal Zone.

Link: http://www.snopes.com/politics/mccain/citizen.asp

Subject: Re: In case you were delusional and thought it wasn't real - Obama's a US citizen

Written By: nally on 11/02/08 at 8:35 pm

Funnily enough, no one is doubting McCain's citizenship, even though he was born in the Panama Canal Zone.

Link: http://www.snopes.com/politics/mccain/citizen.asp

That's absolutely right! I always wondered about that too. Does the fact that his parents were born in the US make their son an American?

According to what I read on that link, it sounds like the Panama Canal Zone was part of US territory at the time McCain was born, which apparently qualifies him as a citizen...but I have my doubts, since it's not part of any U.S. state. :-\\

Written By: Dagwood on 11/02/08 at 8:59 pm

He was born to American Citizens, making him an American.  Plus, correct me if I'm wrong, but he was born there because his dad was stationed there in the Military.

Written By: nally on 11/02/08 at 9:02 pm

Plus, correct me if I'm wrong, but he was born there because his dad was stationed there in the Military.

I figured that might've been possible.

Written By: Dagwood on 11/02/08 at 9:04 pm

If he weren't a natural citizen he wouldn't be running, same as Obama.  I think all the "He isn't a citizen because of A, B, C," is a bunch of crap trying to detract from the real issues on both sides. 

I wish people would concentrate on the issues not the nitpicky crap.  I am incredibly sick of this damn election, can you tell?

Written By: McDonald on 11/02/08 at 9:06 pm

You don't have to be born in a country to be a citizen there. In fact, often, people are born in countries where they will never hold citizenship, because those countries only confer citizenship by descent, parent to child.

I am a citizen of two countries, neither of which I was born in. I got my nationalities from my parents. I have absolutely no claim to citizenship in the country where I was born.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/03/08 at 2:12 am

You don't have to be born in a country to be a citizen there. In fact, often, people are born in countries where they will never hold citizenship, because those countries only confer citizenship by descent, parent to child.

I am a citizen of two countries, neither of which I was born in. I got my nationalities from my parents. I have absolutely no claim to citizenship in the country where I was born.

The U.S. Constitution has just two requirements for becoming President.
1. You must be at least 35 years of age.
2. You must be born on U.S. soil.

The second may include United States territories or military bases located within foreign countries.  The Panama Canal was under U.S. jurisdiction the year John McCain was born.  However, John McCain wasn't born in the Panama Canal Zone; he was born in the Twilight Zone!
:o

Written By: Davester on 11/03/08 at 2:17 am

God I can't wait until this election is over with...

Written By: danootaandme on 11/03/08 at 7:25 am

He was born to American Citizens, making him an American.  Plus, correct me if I'm wrong, but he was born there because his dad was stationed there in the Military.

His dad was Admiral McCain,(4 star) whose father was Admiral McCain(4 star)...baby boy only made it to Captain,

Written By: Dagwood on 11/03/08 at 8:31 am

His dad was Admiral McCain,(4 star) whose father was Admiral McCain(4 star)...baby boy only made it to Captain,

Thanks for clearing that up.  It was late and I didn't want to rely on just my memory.  I was just trying to point out to nally how he is eligible to run even though he was born in the Panama Canal Zone.  His rank really doesn't matter to me.  I care more about current issues.  Any service to our country is admirable, IMO, but it doesn't make or break a President.  Look at Clinton, he didn't serve and he was a good President.

Written By: Jessica on 11/03/08 at 10:00 am

I'm not saying that McCain isn't a citizen.  I was just pointing out the fact that no one is making a big stink about McCain's citizenship like they are doing with Obama's, even though both claims to them NOT being citizens are ludicrous.  However, Obama was feeling the brunt of these claims (OMG, it's a Black man with a Kenyan father who used to be Muslim!!!1111  He's not a citizen!!!!!) and having them plastered all over the media, whereas the first place I heard about McCain's "questionable" citizenship was on snopes. :P

Written By: Dagwood on 11/03/08 at 10:12 am

I'm not saying that McCain isn't a citizen.  I was just pointing out the fact that no one is making a big stink about McCain's citizenship like they are doing with Obama's, even though both claims to them NOT being citizens are ludicrous.  However, Obama was feeling the brunt of these claims (OMG, it's a Black man with a Kenyan father who used to be Muslim!!!1111  He's not a citizen!!!!!) and having them plastered all over the media, whereas the first place I heard about McCain's "questionable" citizenship was on snopes. :P

I know what you are saying.  I think I heard one thing about McCain's citizenship at the beginning then nothing.

Written By: Jessica on 11/03/08 at 10:28 am

I know what you are saying.  I think I heard one thing about McCain's citizenship at the beginning then nothing.

Thanks. :)

I just didn't want anyone to think that I actually believed either of these rumours.

Anyways, if either of them were not citizens, I doubt they would have made it this far in the election.  You know, laws and all. ;D

Written By: Dagwood on 11/03/08 at 11:19 am

Anyways, if either of them were not citizens, I doubt they would have made it this far in the election.  You know, laws and all. ;D

I was thinking the same thing. ;)  I knew you were too smart to believe the rumors.  :)

Written By: McDonald on 11/03/08 at 11:48 am

The U.S. Constitution has just two requirements for becoming President.
1. You must be at least 35 years of age.
2. You must be born on U.S. soil.

The second may include United States territories or military bases located within foreign countries. 

Not entirely true, for the second one at least Max. It says you must be a natural born citizen, which means you can be born anywhere in the world, and as long as you receive US nationality somehow at birth (usually meaning from one or both of your parents), you are a natural born citizen: American from birth, by descent. 

It used to be the general rule that all legitimate children received the nationality of their father, while illegitimate ones that of their mother. So theoretically, McCain could have been born in Red China, and as long as his parents were married and his father was American, he'd be eligible for the Presidency.

These days, you are generally a natural born American citizen if you are born to at least one American parent, married or not, irrespective of your place of birth, and hence eligible for the Presidency. 

Written By: thereshegoes on 11/03/08 at 1:06 pm

Not entirely true, for the second one at least Max. It says you must be a natural born citizen, which means you can be born anywhere in the world, and as long as you receive US nationality somehow at birth (usually meaning from one or both of your parents), you are a natural born citizen: American from birth, by descent. 

It used to be the general rule that all legitimate children received the nationality of their father, while illegitimate ones that of their mother. So theoretically, McCain could have been born in Red China, and as long as his parents were married and his father was American, he'd be eligible for the Presidency.

These days, you are generally a natural born American citizen if you are born to at least one American parent, married or not, irrespective of your place of birth, and hence eligible for the Presidency.  

Ive always wanted to be the president of the most powerful country in the world.

Good thing i wasn't born in th US :D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/03/08 at 1:58 pm

This only proves that Obama isn't a "real" American and is very unpatriotic and is a Muslim that is a puppet for aliens. Oh yeah, he is also a terrorist.  ::) ::) ::)

Cat

Written By: Dagwood on 11/03/08 at 2:00 pm

This only proves that Obama isn't a "real" American and is very unpatriotic and is a Muslim that is a puppet for aliens. Oh yeah, he is also a terrorist.  ::) ::) ::)

Cat

And, according to the Governator, he has skinny legs. :D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/03/08 at 2:01 pm

And, according to the Governator, he has skinny legs. :D

Oh man, I KNEW I was forgetting something.  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Tam on 11/03/08 at 2:48 pm

Any service to our country is admirable, IMO, but it doesn't make or break a President.  Look at Clinton, he didn't serve and he was a good President.

karma +1 8)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/03/08 at 2:54 pm

And he graduated at the bottom of his class at the naval academy, and he kept crashing his planes into stuff, and he wasn't really tortured in the POW camp, and he got favorable treatment there because he had connections, and he made propaganda films for the Viet Cong so they'd be nice to him, and he got caught up with selling junk bonds with swindler extrordinaire Charles Keating....

If Hanoi John had been a Dem, you would have had the above pounded into your head every day for the past eighteen months!!!

His physical constrictions are the results of aircraft crashes due to his incompetence as a pilot, not toruture at the hands of the enemy.

OK, so he didn't make admiral like his pops, but he did climb all the way to the U.S. Senate.  However, an inferiority complex is hard to shake.  Senate not good enough.  McCain felt he had to make president to redeem himself, and if he got that, he'd spend the entire time trying to prove himself all over again.  I think deep down baby boy will feel like a bum 'till he dies, no matter what happens!  It's plain as day from his demeanor and his temper.
::)

Written By: Brian06 on 11/03/08 at 3:28 pm

Yeah I agree, no doubt in my mind it is racially motivated. The right wing has pushed as hard as they can to basically push the idea that Obama's a muslim terrorist and it sickens me.

Check for new replies or respond here...