» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Election day pet peeves..

Written By: loki 13 on 11/04/08 at 11:19 am

Every election day things happen that just tick us off. These are a few of my rants,
my Election Day Pet Peeves!

Vote Or Die:
      I get real tired of people telling me that I have to exercise my right and vote. "Doesn't matter who you
vote for just get out and vote." Well guess what? I don't believe in any Candidate on the presidential ticket.
I cannot, in good conscience, vote for someone or something I don't believe in. I will be doing myself a huge
disservice by voting for something I don't believe in just because I can.

Polling Place Volunteers:
      Hawkers hovering around the polling place eager to sway you to their side handing out leaflet after leaflet.
I can't speak for everyone but by the time I reach the polling place I already know for whom I am voting. Keep
your stinking flyers because no matter what you say I will not change my vote.

Election Day Coverage:
      Here on the East Coast prime time television will air nothing but election coverage. It's not results, just
coverage because at 8:00 PM EST the rest of the Country's polls are still open. What can they really tell us
at 8 O'Clock, Joe The Plumber voted for Obama and Sam The Sniper voted for McCain? Who cares, 8 PM EST
is to early to tell anything so give me back my programming.

Election Phone Calls and Door Knockers:
      These people are the same as the polling place hucksters. You won't change my mind, leave me alone!!

Subject: Re: Election day pet peeves..

Written By: Rice_Cube on 11/04/08 at 11:33 am

I just let the phone keep ringing if the caller ID doesn't look familiar :D

For the most part today was easy...although they didn't ask me for my ID (I presented it anyway) and on the back of the ballot were like a hundred judges that I had to vote to keep or toss.  I didn't know any of them :(

Written By: Dagwood on 11/04/08 at 11:36 am

One of my peeves is that there is always one or two people in line talking at the top of their lungs about how wonderful their candidate is and how the other guy is the devil himself.  ::)

Utah has a law that doesn't allow people handing out leaflets, etc, within 150 feet of a polling place.  You also can't wear hats, pins, shirts or anything for your candidate.

Written By: loki 13 on 11/04/08 at 11:42 am

Utah has a law that doesn't allow people handing out leaflets, etc, within 150 feet of a polling place.  You also can't wear hats, pins, shirts or anything for your candidate.

No such luck in NJ, They can't be inside the building but to reach the doors you have to wade through a sea of wolves.

Written By: Jessica on 11/04/08 at 11:44 am

That law is in effect over here as well.  Not sure about wearing hats or pins though, but I didn't wear mine just in case.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 11/04/08 at 1:01 pm

http://dealnews.com/features/How-to-eat-for-free-on-Election-Day/259259.html

A perk!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/04/08 at 1:58 pm

It was pretty simple today for my place of voting. There was no line, and I was in and out of there within 5 minutes. :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/04/08 at 5:05 pm

It was pretty simple today for my place of voting. There was no line, and I was in and out of there within 5 minutes. :)

Me too.  My precinct is pretty small as it is.  I waited until a low ebb at 1:00, after the morning commuters and before after-work voters.  I voted straight Dem ticket, NO to repealing the income tax, YES to decriminalizing simple possession of pot.

The old dude at the polls was deef as a post.  I had to spell out my street name!

:)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/04/08 at 5:17 pm

Me too.  My precinct is pretty small as it is.  I waited until a low ebb at 1:00, after the morning commuters and before after-work voters.  I voted straight Dem ticket, NO to repealing the income tax, YES to decriminalizing simple possession of pot.

The old dude at the polls was deef as a post.  I had to spell out my street name!

:)

Yeah, there was no wait here, too. I voted for Dems, Independents, and a few Progressives. I even wrote Carlos' name in for state rep.  :D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 11/04/08 at 6:12 pm

I went down to the municipal building to vote.  McCain supporters telling people that voting for Obama is helping the terrorist.  I felt mentally manhandled by both parties actually. :\'(  Saw a few local politicians doing impromptu meet and greets.  Had a line wait of about a half an hour.  After that I went to the grocery store.  Never thought I'd use a grocery store to try and regain a sense of calm.  Funny the State Store in the next building was really busy.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 11/04/08 at 6:25 pm

I read a blurb about how the PA weather is crappy and how crappy weather reduces voter turnout.  That made me mad.  It's only, like, your one fundamental right as a citizen and you won't go out because it's a bit chilly and wet?  FAIL :P

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 11/04/08 at 6:30 pm

I read a blurb about how the PA weather is crappy and how crappy weather reduces voter turnout.  That made me mad.  It's only, like, your one fundamental right as a citizen and you won't go out because it's a bit chilly and wet?  FAIL :P

Hey!!!  I was in there voting with one hand and a cup of hot chocolate in another.  People just aren't prepared for stuff.  If it had been snowing I could have made a Obama snowman. :D

Written By: danootaandme on 11/04/08 at 10:03 pm

I am sick to death of people who can't get of there a$$e$ and go to the polls.  If you don't like the options go down and put in a no vote, it counts, it lets the powers that be know that you are there and are pissed.  People who refuse to take responsibility for the privilege of the vote are a slap in the face to all those who were beaten, raped, lynched, and murdered. As a matter of fact they end up being on the side of those who perpetrated those horrors because they help them achieve the ends they wished for...disenfranchisement.  People who makes excuses for not voting are part of the problem, in many ways they are the biggest part.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/04/08 at 10:41 pm

It was actually really nice in our area of Pa today. It was cool and sunny. I actually walked to the voting polls (it was only a few blocks from my house).

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 11/04/08 at 10:42 pm

In New Zealand it's illegal to campaign on actual Election Day, so thank God we don't have to put up with campaigners standing outside polling places, etc.

Also our day is on a weekend, which is better than a Tuesday.

And I agree with ^ above, if you don't vote, don't complain over the next 3 or 4 years. In a democracy where only 60% of eligible voters actually vote, that's a disgrace!

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 11/04/08 at 10:48 pm

It was actually really nice in our area of Pa today. It was cool and sunny. I actually walked to the voting polls (it was only a few blocks from my house).

I'll agree, however it was hot chocolate weather.  Of course some people are so lazy a cloud in the sky is a good enough reason.  BTW did you hear Murtha won his seat.  Ha, I would have voted a Republican in.  Anyone but that big mouth Murtha.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/04/08 at 10:48 pm

I'll agree, however it was hot chocolate weather.  Of course some people are so lazy a cloud in the sky is a good enough reason.  BTW did you hear Murtha won his seat.  Ha, I would have voted a Republican in.  Anyone but that big mouth Murtha.

ya, I was disappointed about that.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 11/04/08 at 10:52 pm

Do find it annoying how 2 out of our 5 free-to-air channels have to play live footage of the US election. Sure only one station should be enough?

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 11/04/08 at 10:53 pm

ya, I was disappointed about that.

He called you a Red Neck!!! :o

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/04/08 at 10:55 pm

He called you a Red Neck!!! :o

hahaha...I know. I really don't take offense to that though...because I am the farthest thing from it. ;)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/05/08 at 12:16 am

Hey!!!  I was in there voting with one hand and a cup of hot chocolate in another.  People just aren't prepared for stuff.  If it had been snowing I could have made a Obama snowman. :D

A hot chocolate snowman?
???

Written By: Davester on 11/05/08 at 12:20 am

Same here.  I went on my lunch break...

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 11/05/08 at 12:37 am

A hot chocolate snowman?
???

No, the hot chocolate was to drink during the wait.  The Obama snowman shall be created after the first snow.

Check for new replies or respond here...