» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Obama Transition Website

Written By: Dude111 on 11/07/08 at 4:01 am

http://www.change.gov

One thing proposed in here which is EXTREMELY STUPID is the Windfall Profit Tax.

Obama still plans to carry this out!

The results:
Raising the price of gas back up,affecting the price of goods and services,nullifying the effect of the rebate.

Charging said taxes to corporations and those over a specific income level..

Folks...if a company is taxed on profit,they pass that tax on to the consumer in the form of higher prices!

Windfall Profit Tax =  EXTREMELY STUPID IDEA!!!!

You think the economy is bad now! Wait till this goes through!!!! It's going to have a spiral effect! Oil Companies and corporations taxed by this will pass it on to YOU in the form of higher prices...MARK MY WORDS!!!! THIS IS A DANGEROUSLY STUPID IDEA!!!!

Subject: Re: Obama Transition Website

Written By: danootaandme on 11/07/08 at 8:08 am

You do seem a bit beside yourself.  Take a deep breath. I know it may seem so scary to you after the past eight years of prosperity.  The bush administration is leaving the country in the best shape it has ever been.  An increase in the standard of living for everyone, access to quality education, the strength of the dollar overseas, and the job market is just phenomenal!  ::)

Written By: Jessica on 11/07/08 at 10:58 am

*snicker*

Written By: EthanM on 11/07/08 at 11:21 am

I don't see any evidence of a windfall profits tax on the website nor do I see how taxing profits will result in higher prices. CEOs buying their nephews Camrys instead of Cadillacs seems a lot more likely.

Written By: Tia on 11/07/08 at 11:37 am

i sorta like the idea of a windfall profits tax, but it should be tied to the proper incentives. one of obama's ideas is a tax credit for companies that create jobs in america instead of shipping them overseas, and i think for energy companies, institution of windfall profits tax (and also an increase in capital gains tax) should be tied to tax credits and other incentives for R&D in alternatives and clean technologies. so if you're an oil company and you keep doing business the old-fashioned way, you pay more tax -- mainly because you're creating a burden on those who ARE trying to create alternative energy sources. but energy companies that participate can expect to see a much less onerous tax burden.

see? you tie tax policy to the extent to which the company in question is part of the solution or part of the problem. seems sensible to me, i'm not sure what the problem is. oil companies have been making record profits ever since they started occupying the white house in 2001 (let's face it, the bush administration basically IS an oil company). i think they'll be just fine.

Written By: danootaandme on 11/07/08 at 12:00 pm

Y'know, I think maybe I am being a bit hard on Dude111.  It occurs to me that he may be a bit young, there is a certain lack of political savvy in his posts, and when I checked his profile his age wasn't listed. 

Tell me, Dude111, are you very young? I would not like to be tromping sarcastically on the head of someone who is just being introduced to the realities of the political arena.

Written By: Macphisto on 11/08/08 at 8:22 pm

http://www.change.gov

One thing proposed in here which is EXTREMELY STUPID is the Windfall Profit Tax.

Obama still plans to carry this out!

The results:
Raising the price of gas back up,affecting the price of goods and services,nullifying the effect of the rebate.

Charging said taxes to corporations and those over a specific income level..

Folks...if a company is taxed on profit,they pass that tax on to the consumer in the form of higher prices!

Windfall Profit Tax =  EXTREMELY STUPID IDEA!!!!

You think the economy is bad now! Wait till this goes through!!!! It's going to have a spiral effect! Oil Companies and corporations taxed by this will pass it on to YOU in the form of higher prices...MARK MY WORDS!!!! THIS IS A DANGEROUSLY STUPID IDEA!!!!

I'm not a fan of windfall profits taxes either, but I have no problem with taxing rich individuals more.

The best tax policy is actually keeping business taxes low and personal taxes on the rich high.  This way, business owners keep most of their money reinvested in their businesses.

Written By: EthanM on 11/08/08 at 8:52 pm

That sounds good in principle, Macphisto, but how do you make sure a rich business owner isn't pumping personal money into a business with no intention of doing anything with it except keeping it away from the government?

Written By: Macphisto on 11/08/08 at 9:17 pm

That sounds good in principle, Macphisto, but how do you make sure a rich business owner isn't pumping personal money into a business with no intention of doing anything with it except keeping it away from the government?

Well, the general idea is that, if business taxes are low and personal taxes are high, then pocketing the money makes less sense than reinvestment, since reinvestment generally makes a good amount of money in and of itself even with higher taxes.

The overall theme is that reinvestment will make them more money, which they can later pocket more of, but in the meantime, reinvestment often involves hiring more people or at least purchasing more goods or services (which also creates job growth).

Check for new replies or respond here...