» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Returning to pre-9/11 Childish Fantasies

Written By: Dude111 on 11/11/08 at 10:29 am

http://www.nationalreview.com/hanson/hanson200408060837.asp

A very interesting read...

However i think Its hard to go back to the way we thought BEFORE 9/11 because we now know what can happen and many of us ARE SCARED of not knowing!! (I am one of them)

I love my country alot and am always worried about what could happen next!

Subject: Re: Returning to pre-9/11 Childish Fantasies

Written By: MrCleveland on 11/11/08 at 2:03 pm

http://www.nationalreview.com/hanson/hanson200408060837.asp

A very interesting read...

However i think Its hard to go back to the way we thought BEFORE 9/11 because we now know what can happen and many of us ARE SCARED of not knowing!! (I am one of them)

I love my country alot and am always worried about what could happen next!

What you said was interesting too and in my opinion, before 9/11 many people didn't have a fear of going out and all that. After 9/11, many people had the fear of another 9/11.

The fear waned a little in 2004 and with Obama in office, it may have waned even further.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/11/08 at 2:25 pm

WTF?  This is a four-year-old article from a nakedly authoritarian institution.  NRO represents the elite (no, the real elite) controlling class that perpetuated 9/11 in order to keep the hoi poioi (all of us here) nervous and docile. 

What a lot of rubbish.

Written By: Don Carlos on 11/12/08 at 12:12 pm

WTF?  This is a four-year-old article from a nakedly authoritarian institution.  NRO represents the elite (no, the real elite) controlling class that perpetuated 9/11 in order to keep the hoi poioi (all of us here) nervous and docile. 

What a lot of rubbish.

I would only add what FDR said "the only thing we have to fear is fear itself".

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 11/12/08 at 12:15 pm

National Review, anything but pure Conservative Republican rule is unacceptable.  Pre 911 we didn't have the constant bombardment of fear tactics.  The whole notion defeats their whole agenda.

Written By: Tia on 11/12/08 at 12:20 pm

fine. when the terrorists crash an 18-wheeler loaded with explosive silyl putty into the chrysler building i hope you freedom-hating libs will be happy you didn't listen to the national review. four years ago.

Written By: philbo on 11/12/08 at 12:27 pm

People need to get some sense of perspective: every year more people have been killed on the roads in the US than have been killed in all terrorist incidents in the US & Europe combined for the last hundred years.  Why are we so hung up on one way of dying that is statistically so incredibly unlikely compared to most of the others?

Written By: MrCleveland on 11/12/08 at 2:27 pm

I would only add what FDR said "the only thing we have to fear is fear itself".

I was watching something about the Great Depression last night and this 2008 Panic was just a ripple in the water compared to 1929.

I'm just wondering if there are any 'Bushvilles'.

Written By: greenjello74 on 11/12/08 at 2:54 pm

I was watching something about the Great Depression last night and this 2008 Panic was just a ripple in the water compared to 1929.

Yeah only now they call the homeless, and they live in shelters.

Written By: Tia on 11/12/08 at 2:59 pm

there are totally modern-day shantytowns, i posted a youtube link about it a few months ago. scary stuff.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/12/08 at 11:26 pm

It was before nightfall on 9/11 that I was thinking, "This is what some people somewhere on the globe experience on any given day!" 
And then I knew the rejoinder from the Right:
"Why do you hate America?"
::)

Written By: Foo Bar on 11/13/08 at 12:38 am

The Crash of 1929 was just a ripple in the water compared to the Great Depression.

Compare where the Dow was the week before the Crash, the week after the Crash, and where it went from 1929 to 1933.  Go on.  Google it.  What was the all-time low on the Dow, and when was it reached, and how much lower - after the crash - did the index get before the absolute low was reached?  How long, if he bought the "bargains" of 1929, or even the "bargains" of 1930, did a buy-and-hold investor have to wait until he'd broken even?

Ask that question again in 2011, and if any of us are lucky enough not to be living in one, you'll have your answer.  (The irony is that they'll be called Obamavilles, even though the damage was done under the watches of Clinton I and Bush II.)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/13/08 at 12:57 am

The Crash of 1929 was just a ripple in the water compared to the Great Depression.

Compare where the Dow was the week before the Crash, the week after the Crash, and where it went from 1929 to 1933.  Go on.  Google it.  What was the all-time low on the Dow, and when was it reached, and how much lower - after the crash - did the index get before the absolute low was reached?  How long, if he bought the "bargains" of 1929, or even the "bargains" of 1930, did a buy-and-hold investor have to wait until he'd broken even?

Ask that question again in 2011, and if any of us are lucky enough not to be living in one, you'll have your answer.  (The irony is that they'll be called Obamavilles, even though the damage was done under the watches of Clinton I and Bush II.)

If there's a Clinton I, then there will be a Clinton II...say it ain't so!
:o

Written By: Foo Bar on 11/13/08 at 4:02 am

If there's a Clinton I, then there will be a Clinton II...say it ain't so!
:o

From our keyboards to NSA's ears :)

Check for new replies or respond here...