» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Bush is now full of some regrets.

Written By: MrCleveland on 11/12/08 at 2:32 pm

NEW YORK (CNN) -- As his presidency nears its end, a reflective President Bush suggested Tuesday that he regrets some of his more blunt statements on the war on terrorism over the last eight years and said he wishes he had not spoken in front of a "Mission Accomplished" banner only a month after U.S. troops in Iraq were deployed.

"I regret saying some things I shouldn't have said," Bush told CNN's Heidi Collins when asked to reflect on his regrets over his two terms as president. "Like 'dead or alive' and 'bring 'em on.' My wife reminded me that, hey, as president of the United States, be careful what you say."

The interview, aboard the USS Intrepid in New York, came after the president addressed a Veterans Day ceremony.

Shortly after the attacks of September 11, the president said of al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden: "I want justice. There's an old poster out West that said, 'Wanted, dead or alive.' "
Bush was also criticized in 2003 for his answer addressing insurgents in Iraq.

"There are some who feel like that the conditions are such that they can attack us there. My answer is, bring 'em on," he said then.

On Tuesday, the president also referenced the moment aboard the USS Abraham Lincoln on May 1, 2003, during which he declared an end to major combat operations in Iraq.

"They had a sign that said 'Mission Accomplished.' It was a sign aimed at the sailors on the ship, but it conveyed a broader knowledge. To some it said, well, Bush thinks the war in Iraq is over, when I didn't think that. But nonetheless, it conveyed the wrong message." The president, whose legacy is sure to be hotly debated for decades, said there also is much he is proud of.

"I am proud to be the commander in chief of people who are so selfless and so courageous that they would volunteer to serve our country in a time of war," he said. "I'm proud when I see people feed the hungry. I'm proud when I'm in Africa and see volunteers helping those citizens dying of HIV/AIDS."

In the wide-ranging interview, the president also discussed his Monday meeting with President-elect Barack Obama and said he consulted former President Clinton before his meeting with the future commander in chief.

"I remember the conversation I had with my predecessor Bill Clinton," Bush said. "As a matter of fact, called him yesterday and said, 'Bill, I'm getting ready to meet with the new president, and I remember how gracious you were to me. I hope I can be as gracious to President-elect Obama as you were to me.' ''

Bush described the atmosphere in his Oval Office meeting with Obama as relaxed and said he offered the future president advice on the transition process. Bush also said Obama was specifically interested in how his two young daughters would adjust to life in the White House.

"It was interesting to watch him go upstairs," Bush said. "He wanted to see where his little girls were going to sleep. Clearly, this guy is going to bring a sense of family to the White House, and I hope Laura and I did the same thing. But I believe he will, and I know his girls are on his mind and he wants to make sure that first and foremost, he is a good dad. And I think that's going to be an important part of his presidency."

Bush said he plans to return to Texas after he leaves office January 20 and "may write a book" but otherwise has few plans. "No doubt I'm heading straight home. I miss Texas; I love Texas; I've got a lot of friends in Texas.

"I'll probably get back and take a deep breath," he said.

Bush said he has begun to think about an outline for the book.

"I want people to know what it was like to make some of the decisions I had to make," he said. "In other words, what was the moment like? And I've had one of those presidencies where I've had to make some tough calls, and I want people to know the truth about what it was like sitting in the Oval Office."

Bush expressed regret that Republican presidential nominee John McCain did not win the presidency but called the election of Obama "good for our country."

"The election of Barack Obama is an historic moment for our country. There are a lot of people in America who did not believe they would ever see this day. It is good for our country that people have hope in the system and feel vested in the future and President-elect Obama has a great opportunity," Bush said. "I really do wish him all the best. I am just as American as he is American, and it is good for our country that the president succeeds."

Subject: Re: Bush is now full of some regrets.

Written By: danootaandme on 11/12/08 at 4:35 pm

I don't give a d*mn what he says or how he feels. I want him to take his snotty little bush a$$, and his snotty little bush family, and his dirty politics, and go somewhere where we will not have to be bothered by him or any of his ilk again.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/12/08 at 4:50 pm

I don't give a d*mn what he says or how he feels. I want him to take his snotty little bush a$$, and his snotty little bush family, and his dirty politics, and go somewhere where we will not have to be bothered by him or any of his ilk again.

Like behind bars-and I'm not talking about the kind of bars you find at taverns.

Cat

Written By: MrCleveland on 11/12/08 at 5:36 pm

Like behind bars-and I'm not talking about the kind of bars you find at taverns.

Cat

Yep, the one that Martha Stewart resided.

Seriously, you and someone at church have the same opinion on Bush. (He too wishes that his ass is in jail.)

Written By: Davester on 11/12/08 at 6:21 pm

Wow...

C'mon guys admit it...you'd love to read that book... :P

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/12/08 at 6:32 pm

Too late now, buddy.  ::)

Written By: danootaandme on 11/12/08 at 7:34 pm

Wow...

Yeah,  more lies, half truths, and the truth as he sees it, which is the same as lies and half truths.  It wouldn't be by him anyway, he can't string two words together, much less write.  It would be written by someone hand picked by Krazy Karl Rove, I won't give them any more of my time and money.  8-P

Written By: Davester on 11/12/08 at 10:44 pm

Yeah,  more lies, half truths, and the truth as he sees it, which is the same as lies and half truths.  It wouldn't be by him anyway, he can't string two words together, much less write.  It would be written by someone hand picked by Krazy Karl Rove, I won't give them any more of my time and money.  8-P

Maybe it'll come with it's own crayons...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/12/08 at 11:20 pm

Regrets, I've had a few...

::)

Written By: Foo Bar on 11/12/08 at 11:44 pm

Sure, but only if I believed for a femtosecond he actually wrote it, rather than having it ghost-written on his behalf by some sycophant.

Although I still have a standing offer for that much-cliche'd beer.  I admit it.  I'd still like to have a beer with that guy, preferably long after any answers he'd give would have ceased to matter.  The probability of an honest answer is inversely proportional to the importance of the answer, and directly proportional to the amount of alcohol consumed. (as the Romans said, in vino veritas - lit. "In wine, truth".) 

In the guy's defense, if I were in his shoes and had screwed things up as badly as he had, I'd have already begged the launch codes off Dick and pressed the big red RESET button.  Doesn't matter whether you're playing a Sid Meier game (Civ I, II, III, IV, SMAC, or SMAX), or Introversion's DEFCON.  When the outcome of the game is no longer in doubt, the only fun to be had is in the amount of havoc one can wreak before the game ends.  He might as well fly to Paraguay with a planeload of gold and cocaine and watch it all play out from the safety of the compound.  At least someone gets a laugh out of it, and it puts us out of our collective misery.

But he won't do that.  And if I'm doing any better than "scavenging for fresh rat-on-a-stick" by 2028 (I kinda wish he would hit the RESET button, because I think that no matter how he goes out, 99.99% of his subjects, myself included, will all be eating rat-on-a-stick by then), and his tribe of marauders happens upon my countryside homebrewing operation ("And they shall know us by the scent of our hops!"), I'll still gladly have that beer with him or any other former leader/warlord.  I don't really care how my game ends, but I'd still like to know why it ended the way it did.  I don't even bear the guy any personal grudge for the ruination of western capitalism anymore, just professional curiosity.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/12/08 at 11:56 pm

Sure, but only if I believed for a femtosecond he actually wrote it, rather than having it ghost-written on his behalf by some sycophant.

Although I still have a standing offer for that much-cliche'd beer.  I admit it.  I'd still like to have a beer with that guy, preferably long after any answers he'd give would have ceased to matter.  The probability of an honest answer is inversely proportional to the importance of the answer, and directly proportional to the amount of alcohol consumed. (as the Romans said, in vino veritas - lit. "In wine, truth".) 

In the guy's defense, if I were in his shoes and had screwed things up as badly as he had, I'd have already begged the launch codes off Dick and pressed the big red RESET button.  Doesn't matter whether you're playing a Sid Meier game (Civ I, II, III, IV, SMAC, or SMAX), or Introversion's DEFCON.  When the outcome of the game is no longer in doubt, the only fun to be had is in the amount of havoc one can wreak before the game ends.  He might as well fly to Paraguay with a planeload of gold and cocaine and watch it all play out from the safety of the compound.  At least someone gets a laugh out of it, and it puts us out of our collective misery.

But he won't do that.  And if I'm doing any better than "scavenging for fresh rat-on-a-stick" by 2028 (I kinda wish he would hit the RESET button, because I think that no matter how he goes out, 99.99% of his subjects, myself included, will all be eating rat-on-a-stick by then), and his tribe of marauders happens upon my countryside homebrewing operation ("And they shall know us by the scent of our hops!"), I'll still gladly have that beer with him or any other former leader/warlord.  I don't really care how my game ends, but I'd still like to know why it ended the way it did.  I don't even bear the guy any personal grudge for the ruination of western capitalism anymore, just professional curiosity.

A sicko-phant is right!  The ruination is of capitalism is capitalism itself.  They can all kiss my leftist rear end!  If you guys think for a picosecond Dumbya gives a rat's sweet patootie about what happens to any of us then you might as well believe in the tooth fairy!
8)

Written By: Davester on 11/13/08 at 12:12 am

Me too.  I've named all of mine.  This one is Cliff.  That one's Bobby.  I call that one Stretch, and this one over here is Ed.  Sometimes Eddie, if I'm in a good mood.  That one way over there is Claudia, and I named this one Furby...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/13/08 at 12:13 am

Me too.  I've named all of mine.  This one is Cliff.  That one's Bobby.  I call that one Stretch, and this one over here is Ed.  Sometimes Eddie, if I'm in a good mood.  That one way over there is Claudia, and I named this one Furby...

Over-share, dude!
:P

Written By: philbo on 11/13/08 at 6:34 am

..but then again, too few to mention?

And now, his end is near
Another Bush is now deserting
His friends... both disappear
He leaves a country broke and hurting
He's spoken lots of bull
And I'll bet most of it unknowing
And after eight long years...
Thank **** he's going

...I might finish that one :)

Written By: Tia on 11/14/08 at 10:36 am

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b106/nichomachus/Harpers.jpg

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/14/08 at 4:30 pm

Too late now, buddy.  ::)

I think a cop said that to me once!

Written By: windeez on 11/14/08 at 4:33 pm

Regrets, he's had a few.  But he did it his waaaaaayyyyy.

Sorry, Frank. 

Written By: Dude111 on 11/20/08 at 12:28 am

I agree....... He has me$$ed up ouir country enough!!

Written By: MrCleveland on 11/20/08 at 4:19 pm

I agree....... He has me$$ed up ouir country enough!!

Well...IMO...Cheney, Rove, and Gonzales did it for him.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/20/08 at 11:16 pm

But much more, much more than this......

He did it, his wayyyyyyyyy!

;D

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 11/21/08 at 12:25 am

I wish I had a time machine and I could go back 10 years in time and persuade George W. Bush to try and become the commissioner of Major League Baseball.  ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/21/08 at 12:51 am

I wish I had a time machine and I could go back 10 years in time and persuade George W. Bush to try and become the commissioner of Major League Baseball.  ;D

He's a Major League something alright!

Written By: danootaandme on 11/21/08 at 8:07 am

Nah, better that he should have been given lifetime supply of beer, a couple of lines, and HDTV(that invention came just a little too late)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/22/08 at 9:38 pm

Nah, better that he should have been given lifetime supply of beer, a couple of lines, and HDTV(that invention came just a little too late)

He should have been given a role on Hee-Haw!
:D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/22/08 at 10:34 pm

;D

Written By: tv on 12/19/08 at 3:10 pm

At least Bush is now doing something to prevent a "Depression" in America so when Obama gets into office the economy won't be as bad if Bush did nothing. Bush just sat on a chair for a year and did nothing until now about the economy.

Written By: danootaandme on 12/19/08 at 3:32 pm

At least Bush is now doing something to prevent a "Depression" in America so when Obama gets into office the economy won't be as bad if Bush did nothing. Bush just sat on a chair for a year and did nothing until now about the economy.

What?! What are you talking about?!  We haven't been in such bad shape in decades, and it is going to get worse before it gets better.  bush has done worse than sit on a chair for a year and done nothing, he sat on a chair for 8 years and allowed the systematic financial rape of this entire country. 

Written By: Tia on 12/19/08 at 3:40 pm

What?! What are you talking about?!  We haven't been in such bad shape in decades, and it is going to get worse before it gets better.  bush has done worse than sit on a chair for a year and done nothing, he sat on a chair for 8 years and allowed the systematic financial rape of this entire country. 
hell, he enabled it! they deregulated everything that wasn't tied down and then were shocked -- shocked! -- when the economic system became overrun with wholesale criminality.  ::) worst damn thing to ever happen to this country, dubya. hell, if osama bin laden was president, he probably couldn't have hurt the US much worse.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/19/08 at 4:39 pm

hell, he enabled it! they deregulated everything that wasn't tied down and then were shocked -- shocked! -- when the economic system became overrun with wholesale criminality.  ::) worst damn thing to ever happen to this country, dubya. hell, if osama bin laden was president, he probably couldn't have hurt the US much worse.

Well, it's all Ralph Nader's fault, don'tcha know!
:D

Written By: tv on 12/20/08 at 7:54 pm

Yeah but the economy was pretty good from 1999-mid 2007.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/20/08 at 8:23 pm

Yeah but the economy was pretty good from 1999-mid 2007.

That's not the way I remember it, but to each his own I guess.

Written By: danootaandme on 12/21/08 at 6:43 am

Well, the economy was good, if you were part of the economic elite.

Written By: batfan2005 on 12/21/08 at 8:29 am

The way I remember it is the economy was good from about 1995-96 to mid 2006.

Written By: MrCleveland on 12/21/08 at 8:34 pm

The way I remember it is the economy was good from about 1995-96 to mid 2006.

In some regions, yes. But our family was going through hard times during the Clinton years!

Written By: danootaandme on 12/22/08 at 7:15 am

In some regions, yes. But our family was going through hard times during the Clinton years!

That is true of many families.  A factor in the free market economics is a that there be a large pool of people who are so in need they have to work for peanuts. There has been a concerted effort to increase that pool.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/22/08 at 1:44 pm

That is true of many families.  A factor in the free market economics is a that there be a large pool of people who are so in need they have to work for peanuts. There has been a concerted effort to increase that pool.

That's the way it was before the labor movement.  After the industrial revolution there was no "middle class" as we know it today.  Only after workers organized for reasonable pay, job security, working hours and conditions did the "middle class" emerge.  The bosses have been fighting like hell to destroy the middle class for about 80 years.  Now they're succeeding.  They got control of the media and the messages in the media.  Any info you get in a major newspaper or television network is filtered through one of six or seven giant corporations.  It's become easier and easier--especially since Reagan--to con the working man into thinking his interests are the same as the billionaire's. 

Without organized labor and with the government controlled by a few corporations, you'll work for peanuts...and if you don't like it, you can not work at all!!!

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/thefinger_red.gif

Written By: joeman on 12/22/08 at 6:49 pm

Cat

I agree too that he should be in jail.

Written By: MrCleveland on 12/23/08 at 4:20 pm

I agree too that he should be in jail.

More like an asylum, but that's my opinion.

Check for new replies or respond here...