» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Lee Atwater, Bush, and the

Written By: danootaandme on 11/13/08 at 7:54 am

Frontline is airing a story about Lee Atwater.  For those too young to remember, Lee Atwater ran George Bushs campaign for the Presidency, but before that he was involved in the republican party and made a reputation for running absolutely foul campaigns, but ones that the American voters continued to fall for.  It is a must see for anyone interested in American politics. 

Subject: Re: Lee Atwater, Bush, and the

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/13/08 at 8:44 pm

Atwater pioneered the scorched earth politics of personal destruction we now associate with Gingrich and Rove. 

I remember the famous feud between Reagan and Tip O'Neil.  There was a gentleman's understanding that vitriol stayed behind when the session gaveled out.  It was political sportsmanship, if you will.  Seems like ancient history now, even though it's been only 20 years.
::)

Written By: danootaandme on 11/13/08 at 9:18 pm

Atwater pioneered the scorched earth politics of personal destruction we now associate with Gingrich and Rove. 

I remember the famous feud between Reagan and Tip O'Neil.  There was a gentleman's understanding that vitriol stayed behind when the session gaveled out.  It was political sportsmanship, if you will.  Seems like ancient history now, even though it's been only 20 years.

I urge you to see this one.  It hits bush1 pretty hard, and exposes the ways in which people were absolutely stupid to fall for his crap.  Has a bit of Reagan and bush2.  If he hadn't died we probably wouldn't have seen a Clinton Whitheouse.  There isn't any doubt in my mine that the American voters would have gone right from bush1 to bush2.  The part I liked best was the students at Howard University protesting his appointment to their board of trustees, getting him booted.  I remembered that, thought it was great, still do.

Written By: MrCleveland on 11/13/08 at 11:12 pm

I saw some of it and it DID make me wonder who and what was running...and it wasn't Bush even though both of them supported each other.

Written By: Davester on 11/13/08 at 11:21 pm

I also remember a time when people were supposed to be decent to one another. The turning point in politics comes from Lee Atwater (said to have regretted on his deathbed his actions in politics) and right-wing talk radio...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/13/08 at 11:34 pm

I also remember a time when people were supposed to be decent to one another. The turning point in politics comes from Lee Atwater (said to have regretted on his deathbed his actions in politics) and right-wing talk radio...

He only had regrets when he saw a certain special somebody beckoning to him...

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/03/diablotin.gif

Written By: Davester on 11/13/08 at 11:49 pm

He only had regrets when he saw a certain special somebody beckoning to him...

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/03/diablotin.gif

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-6/1193336/georgeburns.jpg

Written By: danootaandme on 11/14/08 at 6:45 am

I saw some of it and it DID make me wonder who and what was running...and it wasn't Bush even though both of them supported each other.

Don't make the mistake of thinking atwater was in charge, he wasn't, bush1 was well in charge.  He let atwater do what he did, but could have stopped him in a heartbeat, and that scared atwater because in his very soul he was a cowering toady to power, and bush didn't have the power, he was the power, and I am sure he had his ways of making sure atwater knew it.  After his collapse he told an old "friend" Ed Rollins( who he had screwed over) that he was the only person he could trust and he was afraid that "they" would kill him if they could.  What is more telling is Mary Matalin defending him, Letterman courting him, and James Brown and B.B. King playing the blues with him.

www.boogiemanfilm.com/

Written By: danootaandme on 11/14/08 at 6:50 am

He was afraid of dying and that there may be a day of judgement. He wrote letters of apology to some of the people whom he wronged, including Mike Dukakis, and they said he even sent one to Willie Horton.  I am not sure he regretted what he had done as much as feared having to pay for what he had done.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/14/08 at 4:11 pm

He was afraid of dying and that there may be a day of judgement. He wrote letters of apology to some of the people whom he wronged, including Mike Dukakis, and they said he even sent one to Willie Horton

Too bad he died, could have been the start of a beautiful friendship!
:D

Written By: MrCleveland on 11/16/08 at 4:02 pm

Don't make the mistake of thinking atwater was in charge, he wasn't, bush1 was well in charge.  He let atwater do what he did, but could have stopped him in a heartbeat, and that scared atwater because in his very soul he was a cowering toady to power, and bush didn't have the power, he was the power, and I am sure he had his ways of making sure atwater knew it.  After his collapse he told an old "friend" Ed Rollins( who he had screwed over) that he was the only person he could trust and he was afraid that "they" would kill him if they could.  What is more telling is Mary Matalin defending him, Letterman courting him, and James Brown and B.B. King playing the blues with him.

www.boogiemanfilm.com/

I only saw some of the Lee Atwater thing so I may not know all of it.  :-[

Written By: danootaandme on 11/18/08 at 6:57 am

I only saw some of the Lee Atwater thing so I may not know all of it.  :-[

Try and catch the whole thing.  I think anyone interested in todays politics should see it.

Check for new replies or respond here...